• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (May 2012)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Finished Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry.

Still struggling with Legacy of Kings, dunno why I'm having such a tough time with it, I liked the preceding two a lot. But this just isn't grabbing me at all.

I'm also horrified at my rate of reading, hardly averaging a book a week! Shit's embarrassing!

Dunno what to read now tho, need light literature. Writing a Master's thesis in Economics is heavy enough. Maybe The Winds of Khalakovo, or continue with the Ledger-books by Maberry. They were light enough, but good on action.

A%2BMemory%2Bof%2BLight.jpg

Mm... US cover.

I've already read 40 books or so this year, but I'm just too lazy to update Goodreads.

Meh.

Violet_0

Banned
finished: Hyperion - didn't expect it to be a collection of (connected) short stories, I thought that was pretty neat

started: Fall of Hyperion

ordered: The Book of the New Sun

Just finished Escape from Camp 14. Very good, extremely harrowing read. I was totally unaware of the extent of the issue of prison camps in North Korea until I read this.
xeDoC.jpg

Almost done with On Writing. Highly recommended to anyone, but especially people who love to write, and would be interested in doing it seriously.
9R2zm.jpg

Going to start The Foundation Trilogy after I finish On Writing. I've been a sci-fi fan all my life, and still haven't gotten around to reading this, which I consider shameful. Also, these Barnes & Noble collectors books are so cool looking, I love the covers on all of them.
rxcW9.jpg

Maron

Never really knew anything about Will Eisner but thought it'd be interesting to read about him. Also helps that I'm constructing a comic book right now so I can use the inspiration.

will-eisner-dreamers-life.jpg

!B5DtuB!CWk~$(KGrHqJ,!hoEyrkhJTRNBMsM1yjw8w~~_3.JPG

Looks like I'm borrowing an older edition of this book.

MM_Front2.jpg

Gonna try to absorb all I can from these books.

Finishing up Factotum....if i can I'll pick up Post Office tomorrow but ive got a stack of books I want to read already.
0F2sX.jpg

I have a question for those that collect rare/signed books, how do you go about taking care of them. Any tips or advice would help alot.

Blasted through Chuck Wendig's BLACKBIRDS. It's a super fast read because I just couldn't put it down. I liked it a great deal, and it sets up a series of books. The sequel MOCKINGBIRD is due out in late August - so a quick publishing schedule. I like that.

Just bought a copy of Gregory McDonald's first FLETCH book:

sBb7o.jpg

It's almost entirely dialogue. I loved the first movie, but had never read the book(s), so I'm interested to see the differences, but it got a lot of praise.

I actually was keen to pick it up after hearing Patrick Rothfuss, John Scalzi, and others talk about it on a G+ chat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlQMAEo7qRA

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hype Get x 1000000000000!

serpents-shadow.jpg

PS: I might actually enjoy Kane MORE than Percy as a series.

Just finished this. I like the series more than Percy for sure now. I just wish we got more than 3 books. Hopefully we'll get a follow up series in the Egypt mythos similar to the Greek follow up.

Dresden

Almost done with:

6FwFN.jpg

It's been one hell of a read. The best description I can think of is still "Flashman in space," but with more actual heroics. I think this is the first WH40K novel that I'd read even if it wasn't part of the franchise.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished Murakami's Norwegian Wood today. Thought it was very good, and I have a feeling it's gonna stick around in my mind for a while. Don't know what I'm going to read next.

Just finished Murakami's Norwegian Wood today. Thought it was very good, and I have a feeling it's gonna stick around in my mind for a while. Don't know what I'm going to read next.

YES!!! Its my favorite book from him. Read some of his other stuff. I enjoyed After Dark and the "Trilogy of the Rat" series.

demon

I've already ready South of the Border West of the Sun, which was my first Murakami book and really liked it. I really like the atmosphere and mood he creates so well in his books. My next will probably be Wind Up Bird Chronicle which I have sitting on my shelf, but I'm gonna wait on it.

Just started this today, same copy/translation, and am about 50 pages in:

L2u9C.jpg

Fjordson

Finished Jacked: The Outlaw Story of Grand Theft Auto. Enjoyable read, but the book simply wasn't long enough for everything Kushner was trying to cover. Didn't go in depth enough for me, though considering how secretive Rockstar usually is about stuff maybe he just didn't have enough material. That aside, I'd still say it's worthwhile for GTA fans.

I cannot recommend this enought! BRILIANT zombie novels about post apocaliptic future where mankind managed to survive the initial zombie pandemic, but are still chained in fear [everyone is infected and can potentialy become a zombie]. Fantastic characters, good story, excellent environment, and insane endings [in both novels].

340x_grant_feed-mm.jpg
Thanks for posting this, grabbed it on my Kindle. After discovering DayZ I'm in the mood for a good zombie book.

demon

I read Timeline eight years ago. I enjoyed the first half but remember the second half getting kind of boring and tedious. Still a fun read though. Totally different from his other books, but Travels is a really interesting sort of autobiographical book about his, well..travels.

Pikelet

Finished book 1 of IQ84 and am enjoying it immensely. There is something about Murakami's writing that makes me feel utterly compelled to read more, even when something mundane is occurring.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Ended up going with more Maberry, specifically The Dragon Factory. It really is quite stupid, dunno why I keep reading, but the action is pretty good and one or two characters are somewhat interesting. Don't think I'll keep reading the series after I finish.

Gelry

aka Bastiaan
I'll start participating I think. Got my kindle last year as a birthday gift from my wife and I love it.

I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
186074.jpg

For now; I "like" it, but I don't think it's worth the almost 5 star score on goodreads. I like to read it, it pulls me in, but the story until now is not that special. Since I'm only 30% in, that may still change of course.

I'm reading through "Devil in White City" and find it both great and boring at the same time. Rants on architects feelings are really mood killers on the other hand history stuff is interesting as is the "other" main person.

Before that I read through Elantris and enjoyed it but I crave some fast paced action/fantasy/thriller/anything.

I've read SoIaF, Abercrombie, Enders, Dunes, Hyperions, Endymons, LoTRs. But I guess rest is fair game.
I prefer heroic deeds and great wars but any page turner is good :p

Thank you for your time!

Protome

I've been reading "Batmanga"
61%2BOOuTEwqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's basically a collection of some Japanese batman comics from the 70s and 80s, it's a fun read to see another culture's take on such a popular character.

And I just bought The Magician's Guild, because (as with a few of my book choices recently) my girlfriend has been trying to get me to read the series so she has someone to talk to about them.

magicians-guild-uk-large-151x250.jpg

It just finished downloading on my Kindle, so i'll be starting it soon!

I'm also trying to find a good fan translation of the second Witcher short-story book since it's clearly never coming out in English. But I can't find one :'(

FYI, Bring Up The Bodies, the sequel to Wolf Hall is out today. I just recently read Wolf Hall, so I'm going to wait, but I know a bunch here read WH...

Number45

I'm working my way through the Complete Sherlock Holmes. It's really hard going, I have to say I don't see any great appeal in it at all. Took a break to read the three Lord of the Rings books again hoping it would help, but still nothing.

Finished FLETCH and it was different enough from the movie to be really compelling. The writing style, nearly all driven by dialogue, is a breath of fresh air in an age where everything is overly, floridly descriptive. I'm going to grab the sequel CONFESS, FLETCH soon.

In the mean time, I'm detouring into Myke Cole's SHADOW OPS: CONTROL POINT -

zK3W6.jpg

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Just finished Ready Player One - terrible writing but I enjoyed it strangely enough - story was crappy and predictable - curious if they end up making a movie
Now I must choose between one of the following: help me gaf ! The kindle makes it so easy to pull the trigger

My choices:

gentleman's+hour.jpg

the_road_to_freedom.jpg

03book-web-articleInline.jpg

41fbl8vYgvL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Hey GAF, I am looking to get into the bizarro genre but for the life of me don't know where to start. Could you give me recommendations?

Re-read
Halo_-_The_Fall_of_Reach.jpg

After not having read any Halo books for a good few years, I decided to revisit the series, starting with the fall of reach. While this book isn't a masterpiece, it's still one of my favorite "fun" reads. It provides such an interesting look into the history of the Spartans, it really transcends the source material. Almost makes me want to play some Halo again. Anyone else read any of these books?

Agree with everything you said. Fall of Reach is my favorite of all the Halo books. I was always more into the lore of Halo, than the multiplayer aspect of the game, which is what made the franchise so popular. Eric Nylund was born to write the Halo books. Too bad he went his own way and started writing children's fantasy.

Hopefully this year I can make time to re-read this again. Here is how the series ranks for me:

1. Fall of Reach
  2. Ghost of Onyx
  3. First Strike
  4. Contact Harvest

Top Bottom