• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

The GAF Book Club is back! The book for November is ?

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Non-western literature

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

RESERVED FOR NOVEMBER BOOK CLUB

What is the November book btw? Any interest in doing one if it hasn't been selected yet? Cloud Atlas?

thomaser

51egLHroujL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Nabokov's Lolita. A little way into it, and I just love the way it's written. I should probably have a dictionary at hand, though.

I actually chose to read Lolita over Cloud Atlas this time, so I won't be able to take part in the book club discussion if you choose that book. Too bad!

Fxp

bladeitself.jpg

Finished it yesterday. It's a page-turner but why do people compare it to "Game of Thrones"? Same genre, yes, but it's more like "The Prince of Nothing", not GRRM epic.

Son1x

KafkaontheShore.jpg

About 2/5 through and I'm liking it so far. Kinda reminds me of Catcher in the Rye, which is a good thing since I liked that.

sgossard

Just finished

833422.jpg

And I didn't like it as much as the first 2. Tell me the rest of the series gets better.

Just started

5553.jpg

Gix

Neo Member
Just finished this today:
ymv7r.jpg

It was good, but I thought Martyr was better.

Starting this tomorrow:
IRwPu.jpg

The first book, Pathfinder, was amazing.

Sushigod7

iFhxT4nPyQx1i.jpg

ibaI5ZdgkTBENk.jpg

Picked up Ninja Attack because you can't have enough ninja info. It's actually pretty good actual historical people not about the myths of ninja. Also the whole books is full color Picked up Laughing Sutra because I just finished Iron and Silk by Mark Salzman and enjoyed it. Haven't got to far into each of them yet but so far so good.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yadm5m.jpg

Slowly but surely making my way through American Gods on the Kindle. I get a few pages in whenever I get on the train, and every now and then I'll just stay on the train so I can read more. It's great.

I just finished Steven Erikson's The Crippled God and man was that series just fantastic. I'm not quite ready to leave that world yet, so I'm currently reading:

4WeGu.jpg

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Started on the Culture series... and while I like the theme and the world so far, Consider Phlebas has some writing issues that make it difficult to read. Particularly when the main character has his random flashes of existential crises. I'm powering through, more than anything else, because I like the idea of the culture.

Syrinx

Currently reading Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury). On deck is In the Garden of Beasts (Erik Larson). Will also be reading Rubyfruit Jungle (Rita Mae Brown) for one of my liberal arts classes.

MoeGamer

Neo Member
Almost done with this one. Strange, strange, crazy story. Maybe on the second or third read it will start to make sense.

Nezumi

Just finished

833422.jpg

And I didn't like it as much as the first 2. Tell me the rest of the series gets better.

A lot better! I consider Equal Rites to be one of the weakest Discworld novels together with Sourcery.

Still reading:

034471951-perdido-street-station.jpg

Really enjoying this one. Are his other books similiar to this in style.

Also started:
complete_calvin_hobbes_01.jpg

Damn those things are heavy, especially after only reading on my Kindle for the last few month. But I wanted to read those for such a long time and this way I'm sure not to miss anything.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished:

wRmt4.jpg

Didn't like it as much as a lot of people on GAF seem to but it was an enjoyable read.

Started up a combination of:

tK4bD.jpg

and

LDv5Y.jpg

though that's not the same cover as my copy of The $100 Startup because I got a pre-release uncorrected proof.

Just finished

833422.jpg

[/IMG]

I thought the first two were the weakest in the series. I really enjoy the Death series of novels (Mort -> Reaper man -> Soul Music ->Hogfather -> Thief of Time).

Jezabel

just finished reading THE TWELVE it was pretty great but not as good as the first book, think its got that middle part of a trilogy syndrome.

Now on to HEART SHAPED BOX

american-psycho.jpg

Almost done reading this. Very fun to read. Love that Bret Easton Ellis describes everything in impeccable detail. I should look up his other work. Any books to recommend?

Next up:

tokillamockingbird.jpg

I'm trying to catch up to all the classic books that I haven't read yet. I hope it's fun to read as well!

9eVxa.jpg

It creeps me out a little.

american-psycho.jpg

Almost done reading this. Very fun to read. Love that Bret Easton Ellis describes everything in impeccable detail. I should look up his other work. Any books to recommend?

The chapters devoted to Phil Collins and Huey Lewis are pure genius. I tried reading his other books but I couldn't get into them. The going into detail stuff really works in American Psycho but when he does it in his other books, I found it annoying.

Zebra

I'm just about to finish:
IAc0H.jpg

It's been insightful and absolutely unsettling. Human nature can be frightening.

Levi

Banned
american-psycho.jpg

Ellis' books are best read in order, starting with Less Than Zero.

Can Reading-age help a man out? I've been in a reading rut for a while. I'm quite busy and I usually only read when on vacation because that's the only time I truly unplug. I need something that can grab me right away and yet is not trashy (ie, not Davinci Codes of the world) A book that worked for me in this regard was Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. For those who also enjoyed it - can you suggest anything that would grab me like this one?

That was the most enjoyable and easy read I've ever had. Within a couple pages the author (or narrator speaking) hooked me with clever dialogue, interesting and humorous 2 page "footnotes" and a style as if he was talking to you at a pub over a brew. And yet it wasn't trashy in any way.

tl;dr:
What other books grab as you as quick and are still as sophisticated as Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao?

Just finished Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut. So great. First thing of his that I've read.
Not reading anything right now bc of nanowrimo.

Never heard of cloud atlas but I just looked it up. Sounds great. Adding it to my to-read list.

coldvein

Banned
just started reading THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING for the first time! will probably take me forever to get through since i don't have much fun reading time these days, ahhh well.

Can Reading-age help a man out? I've been in a reading rut for a while. I'm quite busy and I usually only read when on vacation because that's the only time I truly unplug. I need something that can grab me right away and yet is not trashy (ie, not Davinci Codes of the world) A book that worked for me in this regard was Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. For those who also enjoyed it - can you suggest anything that would grab me like this one?

That was the most enjoyable and easy read I've ever had. Within a couple pages the author (or narrator speaking) hooked me with clever dialogue, interesting and humorous 2 page "footnotes" and a style as if he was talking to you at a pub over a brew. And yet it wasn't trashy in any way.

tl;dr:
What other books grab as you as quick and are still as sophisticated as Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao?

Since you liked Oscar Wao, how about:

This is How You Lose Her by Junot Díaz
I think they're loosely connected short stories about a side-character in Wao? I haven't read either but I've heard if you liked Wao, you'd like this one.

And from another author:

The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer
Not really dialogue-driven, but has some very nice writing and is fairly interesting from the beginning. I'm currently reading it but loving it so far. Has some funny anecdotes and a lot of heartbreaking ones.

Duress

So I'm starting Before They Are Hanged by Abercrombie.

902715.jpg

But I need a refresher on what happened in The Blade Itself, since it has been approximately one and a half years, since I finished it. Is there by chance somewhere I can get a summary?

Kud Dukan

the-well-of-ascension.jpg

Just started on this one last night. I thought the first one was fantastic, so hopefully this one continues that momentum.

krishian

I just finished Steven Erikson's The Crippled God and man was that series just fantastic. I'm not quite ready to leave that world yet, so I'm currently reading:

4WeGu.jpg
I'm in the same position, but I went for Forge of Dakness instead and I'll be getting ICEs new novel later this month. Can't believe I'm still so excited for more Malazan tales after 14 books (and most of them are huge).

How are you liking this? Mishima is one of my favorite authors but I have yet to read this.

american-psycho.jpg

I would say his books get worse by order of release. My favorites are The Rules of Attraction and The Informers. I couldn't even finish Glamorama.

Just finished The Black Prism, and liked it quite a bit. I think I'll wait on reading The Blinding Knife since the kindle version is $12.99. Need something a bit cheaper to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom