• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heart Shaped Box

200px-HSBHill.jpg

HWY 61 Revisited 33 1/3

33bobdylanhwy61rv.jpg

tmarques

Wanted to read something to help with my going back to studying French, but since Flaubert is out of my league -

images

Kind of embarrassed to read it in public, but it's kind of adorable.

(Wouldn't mind suggestions from French readers, btw)

Wanted to read something to help with my going back to studying French, but since Flaubert is out of my league -

images

Kind of embarrassed to read it in public, but it's kind of adorable.

(Wouldn't mind suggestions from French readers, btw)

Why ? (Curious)

For suggestions, what genre / styles do you like ?

lingiii

Banned
I just read The Atrocity Archive by Charles Stross. Lovecraft-meets-Turing-meets-The Office-meets-Espionage. Occaisionally cringe-worthy in tech-jargon (even as a software developer myself), but a ton of fun if you gloss over it.

Considering diving in for the sequel, haven't decided yet. Been out of the reading game for a long time.

Slappers Only

Where'd you go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. I would definitely recommend this hilarious and emotionally engaging book.

9780316204279_custom-444389fd6a11712c934058a7bfd893c88cb1b217-s15.jpg

Trailer.

This Book is Full of Spiders by David Wong. Leaps better than his first book, and it's one of those cases where I literally can't put it down. It's like a solid game that has really good snackable gameplay where you always just want one more session.

12924261.jpg

Trailer.

Check 'em out.

Jay Sosa

Still reading a Brief History of Time and I'm amused by how much guesswork astrophysics seems to be. We can't explain that strange phenomenon, well it surely must be because of all that dark matter! Fun to read nonetheless.
Breezed through this:

die_physiker%5B1%5D.jpg

and now started this:

travels-with-charley.jpeg

If I keep buying books like I have this past year I'm gonna need some new shelves pretty soon. Thank god I have the space for it. Always wanted to have my very own library.

tmarques

Why ? (Curious)

I know it's silly, but being 30 and reading books for children full of (admittedly beautiful) pictures, etc.

For suggestions, what genre / styles do you like ?

I like pretty much everything, except sci-fi (goes right over my head), but it's more of a question of what I *can* read rather than what I would *want* to read. I worship Balzac and Zola but anything more complex than Petit Nicolas is out of my league for the moment.

Darkkn

51dy3ESJCQL.jpg

My first Murakami novel and i'm really liking it. I usually mostly read sci-fi/fantasy books, but for some reason i picked up this. Surprised how captivating the book is even if it's very mundane. I think i need to start reading more down to earth books like this. I feel like this book is already expanded my interest in reading, which is awesome.

AcciDante

51dy3ESJCQL.jpg

My first Murakami novel and i'm really liking it. I usually mostly read sci-fi/fantasy books, but for some reason i picked up this. Surprised how captivating the book is even if it's very mundane. I think i need to start reading more down to earth books like this. I feel like this book is already expanded my interest in reading, which is awesome.

Check out Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World after that! Also by Murakami and has some cool scifi/fantasy parts to it.

Ravager61

This Book is Full of Spiders by David Wong. Leaps better than his first book, and it's one of those cases where I literally can't put it down. It's like a solid game that has really good snackable gameplay where you always just want one more session.

12924261.jpg

Trailer.

Check 'em out.

Aw man, I didn't even know he wrote this. I picked up John Dies at the End because I wanted to read a book that wasn't a series for once. Looks like I'm invested for this now because I'm really enjoying JDATE.

Fjordson

I finished The Blade Itself. It was excellent! I really, really liked it.

So good in fact that I'm already 10% through the second book, Before They Are Hanged. I sometimes have to take a break when reading a series so I don't get burnt out and it takes me a while to get back to them, but not here. Really impressed with Joe Abercrombie so far.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just started this, will probably finish it tomorrow, see what all the fuss is about (one of my sisters loves him):

MqX8S.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm reading Fall of Giants. It is massive. I read it for five hours on a car trip last weekend and just made a dent.

Ashes

Banned
The Complete Rainbow Orchid (Adventures of Julius Chancer).

51UVh6gFvIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you liked reading Tintin as a kid, then this is good. Very good.

This edition is all three volumes in one.

I finished The Blade Itself. It was excellent! I really, really liked it.

So good in fact that I'm already 10% through the second book, Before They Are Hanged. I sometimes have to take a break when reading a series so I don't get burnt out and it takes me a while to get back to them, but not here. Really impressed with Joe Abercrombie so far.

Yessss! *high five*

sgossard

I like pretty much everything, except sci-fi (goes right over my head), but it's more of a question of what I *can* read rather than what I would *want* to read. I worship Balzac and Zola but anything more complex than Petit Nicolas is out of my league for the moment.

This is what I've read in French so far. I'd say I'm at an upper-intermediate level.

L'étranger by Camus
99 francs and Un roman Français by Frederic Beigbeder. Really good.
Le scaphandre et le papillon by Jean-Dominique Bauby. Short and good.
Le petit prince of course, one of my favorites.
Hell by Lolita Pille. Chick-lit but very entertaining.
Lots of Asterix books.

Also, the point is to read books you *can't* read yet, but not so difficult that you just get frustrated. This is how you increase your vocabulary.

-------

Just finished

15806777.jpg

Awesome book. Very recommended.

Just started

13536625.jpg

and

828352.jpg

Finished Great North Road a few days ago - Was just OK for me. Really slogged at times and one of the main POVs is just boring and pretty irrelevant. Definitely my least favorite Hamiliton novel. It does set up an interesting premise for a sequel in the same universe, but I'm not sure if I'll be up for it.

Anyway, picked this up at the library and really enjoyed it.

Brimstone by Robert B. Parker

I just finished, Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series by Pietrusza.

I am currently reading The Complete Thinker: The Marvelous Mind of G.K. Chesterton by Ahlquist, Regions of Great Heresy by Ficowski, and The Street of the Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz.

Heel

KyGxq.png

One of the world’s most beloved and bestselling writers takes his ultimate journey -- into the most intriguing and intractable questions that science seeks to answer.

In A Walk in the Woods, Bill Bryson trekked the Appalachian Trail -- well, most of it. In In A Sunburned Country, he confronted some of the most lethal wildlife Australia has to offer. Now, in his biggest book, he confronts his greatest challenge: to understand -- and, if possible, answer -- the oldest, biggest questions we have posed about the universe and ourselves. Taking as territory everything from the Big Bang to the rise of civilization, Bryson seeks to understand how we got from there being nothing at all to there being us. To that end, he has attached himself to a host of the world’s most advanced (and often obsessed) archaeologists, anthropologists, and mathematicians, travelling to their offices, laboratories, and field camps. He has read (or tried to read) their books, pestered them with questions, apprenticed himself to their powerful minds. A Short History of Nearly Everything is the record of this quest, and it is a sometimes profound, sometimes funny, and always supremely clear and entertaining adventure in the realms of human knowledge, as only Bill Bryson can render it. Science has never been more involving or entertaining.

If you're at all interested in the subjects listed above and have been looking for a place to jump in, this is your book. Bryson seems to have a knack for explaining complex things like outer space to a layman like me in the most simple way possible. Thanks to those who mentioned it here a few months back. Great read so far.

Prez

If you're at all interested in the subjects listed above and have been looking for a place to jump in, this is your book. Bryson seems to have a knack for explaining complex things like outer space to a layman like me in the most simple way possible. Thanks to those who mentioned it here a few months back. Great read so far.

I loved this book until I found out that Bryson is quite unreliable and presents inaccurate information as facts, like glass being a liquid.

Heel

I loved this book until I found out that Bryson is quite unreliable and presents inaccurate information as facts, like glass being a liquid.

Ahhh really? I get the sense so far that it might be getting a little out of date (Pluto...), but had no idea that he was simply inaccurate too. I'll have to read into his mistakes, thanks.

Ashes

Banned
I've totally stalled on this book about 1/4th of the way through. Surely all this bleakness is going somewhere...

I think you are missing the point because the point of the novel is to show how such a society would be bleak. It is a dark fable I guess that serves as warning.

Heel

I think you are missing the point because the point of the novel is to show how such a society would be bleak. It is a dark fable I guess that serves as warning.

I totally understand that it's portraying a bleak dystopian future. I'm just hoping there's a story arc beyond the guy coming home and sulking about it.

Prez

Ahhh really? I get the sense so far that it might be getting a little out of date (Pluto...), but had no idea that he was simply inaccurate too. I'll have to read into his mistakes, thanks.

Still a great read and it will get you interested in a lot of the subjects he discusses. Just don't believe everything he says.

isual

Read through that omnibus. I have the other 3 omnibi, and have just the last one 'soldier's live' as a backlog. It is a very confusing series if you do not read the first omnibus first.

Currently reading Horus Heresy's 'Fear to Tread', warhammer 30k.
Just finished HH: Nemesis, pretty good thriller book on the assassins of the warhammer 30k universe.

Haha loved that as well. I try to use it in real life as much as possible.

Chronicles of The Black Company by Glen Cook

Bit darker than what you've been reading, but an awesome series.

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Haven't read it myself, but it's the next fantasy series I'm gonna dive into.

JeTmAn81

10756240.jpg

tedious, self-indulgent, charming

I'm still working on this one, on a break while I read The Casual Vacancy which is surprisingly a lot more engaging than Chabon's book. Still, Telegraph Avenue gets better as it goes along.

Heel

Nope, that's basically the story. One of the early dystopias, and so it's more about the dystopia itself than the story.

If you're looking for a complex plot, you won't find it in 1984.

Ahhh yeah probably not my cup of tea then. I was hoping he'd at least
attempt some kind of uprising, something, even if it was futile
. I did enjoy Animal Farm, but not if they laid around the farm describing how shitty they thought their farm was for hundreds of pages.

Brave New World might be a more enjoyable read for you.

Have that one on my iPad. I'll have to give it a try sometime soon. Thanks.

I'll second this. Or Fahrenheit 451.

Why am I suddenly recommending animal farm?

Orwell, I suppose I am recommending animal farm on top. :p

Read these two and enjoyed them! I guess 1984 is completely effective at describing a dreary future I'd want no part of. To the point I don't even want to crack it open anymore...lol.

Prez

Far less bleak (until you think about it), but it's quite similar in that it's more of an exploration of a particular dystopia than a story in itself.

The dystopian world of Brave New World seems more plausible to me than 1984 which makes it easier to relate. I didn't like 1984 and Animal Farm but I did enjoy Brave New World.

I still haven't read Fahrenheit 451, but I will soon.

Ashes

Banned
Read these two and enjoyed them! I guess 1984 is completely effective at describing a dreary future I'd want no part of. To the point I don't even want to crack it open anymore...lol.

I was talking to a friend today, who asked for help, regarding a story she wanted to write. She didn't understand plot and story and what the difference was.
And as I was explaining, I brought up, what Aristotle said were the main parts of a plot. Cause and effect; and a beginning, a middle and an end.
"Aristotle came up with that?" she said. "Wow I never knew that."
My philosophy is a little rusty, but as far as I know yes.

I bring it up because with 1984, Orwell did a lot of the same. He gave us the terms to talk about stuff with. Big brother for example.

It's up to you to read it though.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Oh, absolutely. And we might already be on our way there. That's why it becomes incredibly bleak, when you think about it.

Some poster (I think on this forum) was genuinely perplexed as to how the world as envisioned by Huxley could be considered dystopian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom