• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Slowly getting through Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I'd be further in, but I keep going back to borderlands 2!

Just started last night, almost half way through it.
the-thief.jpg

just finished reading THE TWELVE it was pretty great but not as good as the first book, think its got that middle part of a trilogy syndrome.

I really liked it, almost as much as the first book. But yea, not as good as The Passage. I did like how we went back to Year Zero and met some characters from the last book and the new ones he introduced. It had a lot more action and the pace was much quicker. I'm not sure I agree with what Cronin did to some of the characters in terms of killing them off before we really knew anything about them
I'm talking about how quickly he wiped out almost all of the original Virals save for Zero, Amy, and Carter
. I am glad we got some resolution to some of the biggest story points from the first book. I'm still very hyped for the final volume and excited to see how he ends the series.

Oh, and I loved how he closed out Wolgast's story. The only time I really choked up a bit, it was beautiful

Interesting point is that Cronin met a veteran from the Iraq/Afghan War who told him he wrote the Vet's storyline very well and "got it right" in terms of emotion and how he dealt with things due to his injury and the fallout from that in his personal life.

TCRS

Banned
the-wise-mans-fear.jpg

Just got it, haven't even read the first page. I fucking hate it when publishers change the format of a book in an ongoing series. This is has now half the height and width of Name of the Wind but is twice as thick. Looks stupid on the shelf. Got the same problem with the Second Apocalypse (Scott Bakker) books: five books, three different formats.

Mumei

I am currently reading The Arden Shakespeare edition of Hamlet (watched the play; now I'm reading the appendices and finishing the introduction) and reading Bengtsson's The Long Ships.

6900710.jpg
761292.jpg

Videoneon

I remember when I could understand Shakespeare's style of writing; before I'd just see words but barely register the thoughts. I appreciated Hamlet much more afterwards.

I have to get on 1984 as soon as I finish my current project:

The-Grapes-of-Wrath-9780140042399.jpg

Eleven chapters in. It's a hefty book, my edition (not pictured) is small in size but approaches a little under 600 pages. I like how Steinbeck descriptive style, he has a nice grasp for totality and epicness. I'm also a fan of the interspersing of stories that come every other chapter or so and take you out of the main plot - it's a refresher that I wouldn't expect, but is still nice for the reading experience.

One small gripe I have so far is that he is not subtle. This is the first of his books I've read, but his themes and messages are overt and repeated. Not quite attached to any of the characters yet either, but I guess that's what happens when you have those Watership Down stories.

gdt

Been reading lots of fantasy lately, and I would like some recs for new stuff.

Finished

Name of the Wind: Awesome book, starts out slow but gets really good when we meet the arcanist.

Mistborn: Same. Loved it by the end.

Wise Man's Fear: Great sequel, but the last half is stuffed with Kvothe doing unbelievably awesome things, over and over. Not enough sadness towards the end, but the present day story certainly hinted at it, which made me sad.

I'm currently reading Well of Ascension, the sequel to Mistborn, just started it.

Can I get some recs for The Prince of Thorns series? That looks pretty cool. Same with The Blade Itself.

If you haven't read it already, I'd highly recommend The Way of Kings. My favourite by Sanderson, and one of my all time favourite fantasy novels.

Be warned though: its massive, and the only published volume in a planned 10 book series.

But still, so so good!

Mumei

I remember when I could understand Shakespeare's style of writing; before I'd just see words but barely register the thoughts. I appreciated Hamlet much more afterwards.

Yes. I don't think I was ready in high school to appreciate it. King Lear was the first thing I read/watched since then and it was amazing.

Magnifique.

I am only about 60 pages in, but it seems promising.

JMizzlin

american-psycho.jpg

Almost done reading this. Very fun to read. Love that Bret Easton Ellis describes everything in impeccable detail. I should look up his other work. Any books to recommend?

Your avatar and the fact you like this book indicate to me you have very good taste.

I find Ellis often writes the same characters (at least across the books I've read) but if you enjoy his prose, as I do, it may be worth checking out Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction. <0 has a sequel titled Imperial Bedrooms which was alright if the characters from the first book actually grew on you. Finally I couldn't get past 2 chapters of Glamorama - I just feel too detached from the character and situation.

Definitely check him out though! His novels always seem to flow so well.

Fintan

Still reading Crime And Punishment, about 300 pages in. It's very good, I love Dostoyevsky's writing.

Also listening to Cloud Atlas on audiobook. It's great so far, I love how different each of the stories is in terms of writing style. I think I'm about halfway through.

beje

Banned
I just got the courage and time to start 1Q84 by Murakami. So far (5 chapters) and I'm already in love with the wacky yet completely realistic characters and the strange events unveiling on both sides of the story. Exactly the kind of fiction novel that I love.

CiSTM

Banned
I just came back from China 2 days ago, for shopping and exploring Guangzhou City.. so I bought many stuff from there and I will be enjoying them for the rest of Novamber :D

I made a video for everything..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xeK3adPcTWg

and btw, is there any OT for posting new purchases in neoGAF ?

All pick-ups are posted in Gaming sides's monthly thread.

I just got the courage and time to start 1Q84 by Murakami. So far (5 chapters) and I'm already in love with the wacky yet completely realistic characters and the strange events unveiling on both sides of the story. Exactly the kind of fiction novel that I love.

You are probably going to like rest of his work too because they are basically the same as 1Q84. Some say that they are even too much alike and one reason why 1Q84 got some criticism.

I remember when I couldn't read shakespeare. I'd have to listen to it and follow along to understand what the hell they were saying. It sometimes feels like its a bit much for HS.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

deadbeef

That's a good one. If you are still interested in the subject after that, you should also check out The 9/11 Wars by Jason Burke.

I may, thanks. I also have The Looming Tower that I need to read and also The Great War for Civilisation. I'd like to read all I can on the same topic before moving on, so I'll look into that one by Burke - thanks!

Necrovex

After reading constant praise for Murakami, I decided to begin my read through of Kafka on the Shore. The translation is a little wonky at times, but I am really loving the book. I am about a fourth of the way through the novel. Nakata and Kafka are interesting characters. Plus, I am getting a better mindframe regarding Japan.

This was certainly a good book to rent from the library, which was my first time renting something from my local library.

Can I get some recs for The Prince of Thorns series? That looks pretty cool. Same with The Blade Itself.

Nearing the end of The First Law trilogy book 2 and can't recommend it enough. I'm totally in love with it. I suggest you go with that one immediately.

BTW my new favorite term thanks to this series - 'fruits'!

Wiktor

Finished:
up_HuH1Kv.jpg

Liked it. Nothing extraordinary, but fun and quick read. It is bassicaly Jack Bauer: the novel

Now I'm halfway through this:
sandman_cover_07.jpg

Enjoying it a lot. One of the very best urban fantasy I've read in a long long time. It's very fast, feels fresh with it's setting and can be very brutal, while still retaining lots of humor.

With both Sandman Slim and Mitch Rapp I'm pretty hyped up about the rest of those series. In my experience those types of novels get better and better as the series go by.

Nearing the end of The First Law trilogy and can't recommend it enough. I'm totally in love with it. I suggest you go with that one immediately.

BTW my new favorite term thanks to this series - 'fruits'!

Haha loved that as well. I try to use it in real life as much as possible.

Chronicles of The Black Company by Glen Cook

Bit darker than what you've been reading, but an awesome series.

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Haven't read it myself, but it's the next fantasy series I'm gonna dive into.

Currently working on This Book Is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It, then on to House of Leaves, which I've had forever and just never got around to.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
bloodfire-quest-by-terry-brooks.jpeg

Just finished Bloodfire Quest by Terry Brooks, the second in his recent trilogy. It's a good follow-up to Wards of Faerie, and I think the trilogy is going to be something special for Shannara fans.

I'm now moving onto:

xKpUC.jpg

Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone, which I've header nothing but great things about.

Son1x

KafkaontheShore.jpg

About 2/5 through and I'm liking it so far. Kinda reminds me of Catcher in the Rye, which is a good thing since I liked that.

Finished this on Saturday.

Started Rokec by Rudolf Pe&#269;jak, who was also my great-grandfather.

New book added! Never knew about this book despite being a huge fan of the TV show.
Got the hardcover, had to go 4 different bookstores for it.

173411992.JPG

Videoneon

Yes. I don't think I was ready in high school to appreciate it. King Lear was the first thing I read/watched since then and it was amazing.

Yeah, my first exposure to Shakespeare was his Julius Caesar in 10th grade. Totally phoning it in during class partially because I was frustrated with not getting it. Always managed to do well in class though. I had a rough start with poetry in general (especially with "The Red Wheelbarow.")

I remember when I couldn't read shakespeare. I'd have to listen to it and follow along to understand what the hell they were saying. It sometimes feels like its a bit much for HS.

The time I finally understood Shakespeare better was after having read Hamlet in junior year. By now I'd gone through Julius Caesar and Othello, and during the time we were covering Hamlet in class, I was similarly reticent as I'd been for the past two works. But I had the book with me during that year's winter break, and somehow it just clicked. Weird how that works out.

Honestly I'm happier that I was exposed to Shakespeare in HS, even though I had no chance of appreciating it on my first go. I think that most any high school student is going to struggle with him upon the first meeting, but it's a worthwhile experience. I'm sure there's a way to sort of get them adjusted...

41l5-QIeBuL.jpg

Herman Hesse - Steppenwolf

I can't remember reading it before even though I feel like I have. The book is great. I've been in a weird headspace lately so I'm meeting it partway.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Currently reading:

41pqKwdAe9L.jpg

Read Shadow&Claw right before it. It was an... interesting experience. I didn't know what to think of it while reading, and thought I'd take a break with something different after finishing it... but eventually realized I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I caved in and bought Sword&Citadel. Let's see where this goes :)

Mumei

Yeah, my first exposure to Shakespeare was his Julius Caesar in 10th grade. Totally phoning it in during class partially because I was frustrated with not getting it. Always managed to do well in class though. I had a rough start with poetry in general (especially with "The Red Wheelbarow.")

I really want to read Julius Caesar. I have had it for awhile but haven't taken the plunge yet.

The time I finally understood Shakespeare better was after having read Hamlet in junior year. By now I'd gone through Julius Caesar and Othello, and during the time we were covering Hamlet in class, I was similarly reticent as I'd been for the past two works. But I had the book with me during that year's winter break, and somehow it just clicked. Weird how that works out.

Honestly I'm happier that I was exposed to Shakespeare in HS, even though I had no chance of appreciating it on my first go. I think that most any high school student is going to struggle with him upon the first meeting, but it's a worthwhile experience. I'm sure there's a way to sort of get them adjusted...

I agree. Even though I didn't love the experience - and I think it was partially related to the fact that we read it aloud and I had a lot of trouble comprehending when it was read so slowly (my class was not full of strong readers) - I think it was worthwhile for me. I think the biggest issue is that Shakespeare needs to be watched. I think that the biggest key for me wasn't that I am a better reader now (though I am!), but that I actually got to watch a production on DVD, and it included subtitles. I think that would go a long way towards communicating the, er, drama and comedy and pathos of, say, King Lear.

Currently reading:

41pqKwdAe9L.jpg

Read Shadow&Claw right before it. It was an... interesting experience. I didn't know what to think of it while reading, and thought I'd take a break with something different after finishing it... but eventually realized I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I caved in and bought Sword&Citadel. Let's see where this goes :)

Let me help:

You think it is totally awesome and slightly confusing.

<3

Lumiere

Neo Member
Let me help:

You think it is totally awesome and slightly confusing.

<3
That might actually be quite accurate! =D

It's been quite a fascinating experience so far. And on one side I want to see what's going to happen next, but on the other these books really push you to take your time while reading.

I'm also loving the vocabulary so far - I kept hearing comments about it using words that are difficult to read, but the greek/latin roots for most of them make the "invented" terms awesome instead of frustrating like they can be in other books.

Sappy113

Absolutely. For both of those series. You have to not mind reading about anything from sadistic assholes to deeply flawed characters, though. But the characterization in those books are second to none.

Your avatar and the fact you like this book indicate to me you have very good taste.

I find Ellis often writes the same characters (at least across the books I've read) but if you enjoy his prose, as I do, it may be worth checking out Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction. <0 has a sequel titled Imperial Bedrooms which was alright if the characters from the first book actually grew on you. Finally I couldn't get past 2 chapters of Glamorama - I just feel too detached from the character and situation.

Definitely check him out though! His novels always seem to flow so well.

Thanks!

I don't think I'll have any problem with the fact that he writes the same characters, since I loved the social commentary of Bateman in AP.

I've put Less Than Zero and Rules of Attraction in my shopping basket!

Epcott

cloud-atlas-book-cover.jpg

Started the audio tape at work. I was planning on actually reading it, but I have too much on my plate at the moment.
I was inspired to try it more so from Gaf impressions, than the bomb of a film. But it's also helping me find techniques in 1st person narrative for this Nanowrimo story I'm writing (reason time is limited to read it).

I'm not really enjoying it. But it's still early so, I could be jumping to an unfair conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom