• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost done with Nabokov's Lolita. I just love how Humbert Humbert very gradually grows obsessive and unhinged. Any other books doing the same, showing a descent into madness, preferably also with a first-person perspective? I know Dostoyevsky and Kafka do similar things, but are there others?

Not the same kind of book as Lolita, but The Shining and The Haunting of Hill House have that sort of protagonist.

Almost done with Nabokov's Lolita. I just love how Humbert Humbert very gradually grows obsessive and unhinged. Any other books doing the same, showing a descent into madness, preferably also with a first-person perspective? I know Dostoyevsky and Kafka do similar things, but are there others?

Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar

jdavid459

51JjmjwE5mL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-50,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

On the Road by Jack Kerouac. About 90 pages in and it is really not grabbing me...isn't this suppose to be a great book?

Fjordson

On The Road is one of my favourite books ever, but I don't think it's for everyone. And I was barely out of high school when I first read it, so take that for what you will.

vareon

About to finish:

Johannes-Cabal-the-Necromancer-Jona11-med.jpg

Loved it! It's nothing very special, but exactly the story I wanted to read.

And GAF, I need a recommendation. I saw Cloud Atlas and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet. If I can get only one which one should I choose? I have no expectations on both...just wanting a good read.

eattomorro

Neo Member
41sJFv-Cr2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Ukishima: Basically about a Kamikaze pilot having to fight for Hachiman, the god of war. So far pretty good, just explains a little too much, if that makes sense.

Mascot

Just finished John Connolly's Every Dead Thing.

Nice book!

If it's your first John Connolly then you have some great times ahead. He never disappoints.
Had a good long chat with him a couple of years ago when he was holding a seminar locally. Really nice chap. Got all my books signed too.

AAequal

Banned
51JjmjwE5mL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-50,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

On the Road by Jack Kerouac. About 90 pages in and it is really not grabbing me...isn't this suppose to be a great book?

I gave it a shot but I just couldn't finish it :/ The Dharma Bums is only Kerouac book that I have actually liked. Beat Generation literature just isn't for me, even tho I do like some of Ginsberg's stuff.

Finished Robopocolypse.

It is definitely frontloaded with awesome. The ending is a little too easy and predictable (partly because, since it is an oral history and they tell you right off the bat that it's already over as well as the names of the main characters who definitely survive, all the suspense is gone)

Ah well, I don't regret it at all. Definitely a 7/10, maybe 8 if I decide to feel a little generous.

Gonna start This Book is Full of Spiders before too long.

Fusebox

Banned
Finished up The Maze Runner Trilogy. The first book was ok, but it went downhill from there. Started this yesterday:

51pdAkSizDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

I finished this last week, I got it in a humble book bundle, it was a really fun read, shades of Altered Carbon in the action scenes.

Finished Robopocolypse.

It is definitely frontloaded with awesome. The ending is a little too easy and predictable (partly because, since it is an oral history and they tell you right off the bat that it's already over as well as the names of the main characters who definitely survive, all the suspense is gone)

Ah well, I don't regret it at all. Definitely a 7/10, maybe 8 if I decide to feel a little generous.

I thought it was a hell of a popcorn book. Worth the money I spent on it for sure.

Just finished Red Country. It was good but not exactly what I expected, it felt smaller in scale compared to the previous books. It had it's moments tough.

Sworbreck had come to see the face of heroism and instead he had seen evil. Seen it, spoken with it, been pressed up against it. Evil turned out not to be a grand thing. Not sneering Emperors with world-conquering designs. Not cackling demons plotting in the darkness beyond the world. It was small men with their small acts and their small reasons. It was selfishness and carelessness and waste. It was bad luck, incompetence and stupidity. It was violence divorced from conscience or consequence. It was high ideals, even, and low methods.

I was about to search for my next read, but Cold Days will be released on the 27th, and with all the game offers this week I'm almost broke already.

ymmv

Banned
Finished:

This was orginally a two part serial in All-Story Weekly in 1916. It's a lost world tale (a rather popular subgenre in those days) mixed with a Tarzan like superhero whose habitat is not the jungle but Antarctica where he regularly fights ice bears that only live around the north pole. The lost civilization Polaris discovers was a tropical city where ancient Greeks still live BTW. An interesting curiosity.

Now reading:

51V3KEk68AL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

KidDork

MemoriesofIce.jpg

Getting back to the Malazan series. I've missed these characters.

As for On The Road, I also read it fresh out of high school, along with Dharma Bums and Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn. I thought they were all spectacular then, but have a difficult time coming back to them now. I think they're books best read in youth, if my experience is anything to go by.

thomaser

Finished Nabokov's Lolita today. Definitely lived up to all the praise I've read about it. Disturbing, sad and funny in equal amounts. Humbert Humbert is such a great character, and the language is spellbinding.

Really want to try more books by Nabokov. I've read Pale Fire earlier, and enjoyed it although it probably went a bit over my head. Is Pnin good?

Next up, probably the next book on my American Detective Novel-syllabus: Body of Evidence by Patricia Cornwell. I've read that her books rely a lot on forensic investigations, and that will be a nice contrast to the earlier hard-boiled books on the course.

thomaser

Why is almost every single Go book from tiny publishers whose books aren't available on Amazon? Ugh.

Do you have any entry-level books about Go to recommend? I just ordered a Go-set for my store just to have the game in stock, and will probably end up buying one myself.

First post in here :) I decided to pick up on reading again so here we go

Finished
51aPfs6M%2BlL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Quick and easy read with some very deep motives and symbolism behind it. I read the original Dutch printing and can't comment on the quality of the translation to English, I'm not even sure if it's well known outside of the Netherlands, but you should definitely check it out if you haven't already.

Now reading
41fU5CFGorL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Kuraudo

Banned
Finished reading Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson a couple of days ago and can't stop thinking about it.

15647100113010L.gif

It was really amazing how Kate's supposedly irreverant trains of thought began to come together at the end and the sense of loneliness and growing mental illness was heartbreaking. Amazing work and definitely something I'll be rereading down the line.

Now reading The Blade Itself by Abercrombie and Finch. About eighty pages in and it's not really gripping me. Writing feels a little amateurish and self-indulgent. Hope it picks up.

Tenck

41uQTEcnFqL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_.jpg

Re-reading this book. Almost finished it long ago but I let someone borrow the book, thinking I had my second copy in my drawer. Was wrong, and never got to see the copy I lent ever again ;_;

So far it's as good as I remember.

Edit: Might as well ask, since I've been buying so much books for my Kindle. Can anyone recommend books set in the past? Most books I love are books set in the past.

Examples dates are 1930s, 1920s, and 1940s. Some books I have bought are Don Quixote and The Count of Monte Cristo. So anything from 1900s and before are welcomed.

Mumei

Kuraudo, I almost got that book (Wittgenstein) when Borders was going out of business. I wish I had now.

Do you have any entry-level books about Go to recommend? I just ordered a Go-set for my store just to have the game in stock, and will probably end up buying one myself.

Certainly! But in addition to books I would suggest:

a) Sensei's Library
b) Yukari Sensei Go Go Igo
c) GoCommentary
d) SmartGo (use the free trial for the problems)
e) GoProblems
f) The Interactive Way to Go

And in terms of books, I would recommend Go: More Than A Game; it has a few example games on 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19 that are played at the low amateur levels and at professional levels and I thought it was a nice introduction. I would also recommend Kaoru Iwamoto's Go for Beginners. When you have played a few games, I would recommend getting Richard Bozulich's The Second Book of Go. I recently read most of Toshiro Kageyama's Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go, which is probably my favorite Go book so far. His book is written for a slightly more advanced beginner, maybe, but I still feel like you can get a lot out of it as a beginner, even if not as much as someone more advanced than you (or I) could.

We have (had) a Go topic on GAF not long ago, and I was talking to cpp_is_king recently and he recommended the first volume of Graded Go Problems for Beginners for me. I really would like to get this myself, but I have not read it yet. If you look at the SmartGo website, you'll see that the first two volumes are actually available on an app for SmartGo Books which features interactive versions of those books for considerably cheaper than it would be to purchase them otherwise. If you have an iPhone or iPad you might want to look into this for that and other books offered. I have also heard good things about the Learn to Play Go series, though the first volume alone is supposedly a bit sparse.

gdt

MemoriesofIce.jpg

Getting back to the Malazan series. I've missed these characters.

As for On The Road, I also read it fresh out of high school, along with Dharma Bums and Henry Miller's Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn. I thought they were all spectacular then, but have a difficult time coming back to them now. I think they're books best read in youth, if my experience is anything to go by.

I need to start picking these up.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker and The Good Earth by Pearl Buck are $2.02 today. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't read The Good Earth but The Color Purple is great. One of my favorites.

Also, a bunch of Octavia Butler books are $3 or less today.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon also has Barbara Hambly's novel Dragonsbane on sale, which is an absolute steal for one of my favorite books. She tells an absolutely wonderful story within the basic framework of a quest to kill a dragon, though the story is much more than that base premise. It also has, in my opinion, the absolute best portrayal of a dragon done in fantasy.

It's completely standalone. Although she wrote sequels she did so about 15 years later and she never again managed to capture what made Dragonsbane so special.

They say a wizard's wife is a widow. A woman who bears a wizard's child must know that he will leave her to raise the child alone, should his powers call him elsewhere. It is for this reason that no priest will perform the wedding ceremony for the mageborn, and no flute player will officiate upon the rite. And it would be an act of cruelty for a witch to bear any man's child.

Almost all of her other books are on sale, too, but this is only one that's an absolute must buy if you like fantasy even the least little bit.

thomaser

And in terms of books, I would recommend Go: More Than A Game; it has a few example games on 9x9, 13x13, and 19x19 that are played at the low amateur levels and at professional levels and I thought it was a nice introduction. I would also recommend Kaoru Iwamoto's Go for Beginners. When you have played a few games, I would recommend getting Richard Bozulich's The Second Book of Go. I recently read most of Toshiro Kageyama's Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go, which is probably my favorite Go book so far. His book is written for a slightly more advanced beginner, maybe, but I still feel like you can get a lot out of it as a beginner, even if not as much as someone more advanced than you (or I) could.

We have (had) a Go topic on GAF not long ago, and I was talking to cpp_is_king recently and he recommended the first volume of Graded Go Problems for Beginners for me. I really would like to get this myself, but I have not read it yet. If you look at the SmartGo website, you'll see that the first two volumes are actually available on an app for SmartGo Books which features interactive versions of those books for considerably cheaper than it would be to purchase them otherwise. If you have an iPhone or iPad you might want to look into this for that and other books offered. I have also heard good things about the Learn to Play Go series, though the first volume alone is supposedly a bit sparse.

Nice, that's very helpful. Thanks!

vedderlax11

Neo Member
51FkKpfEZAL__SS500_.jpg

Picked up the first book on a whim, and thought it was alright, but I am loving the hell out of this one. Glokta is amazing and the Bloody-Nine is the we all wish we could be. You have to be realistic about these things.

Ugh left my Kindle on the plane and Lost & Found hasn't gotten back to me yet. Those seat-back pockets are such magnets for forgetting stuff. Oh well the good news is I wasn't currently reading anything smutty.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
I did finally finish reading this. I liked it! It dragged on some times with things I wasn't interested in, like the village elections, but I enjoyed the writing immensely. Tolstoy is so talented in writing about people's thoughts and emotions.

Ashes

Banned
Ugh left my Kindle on the plane and Lost & Found hasn't gotten back to me yet. Those seat-back pockets are such magnets for forgetting stuff. Oh well the good news is I wasn't currently reading anything smutty.

I did finally finish reading this. I liked it! It dragged on some times with things I wasn't interested in, like the village elections, but I enjoyed the writing immensely. Tolstoy is so talented in writing about people's thoughts and emotions.

You are awesome. This is my favourite book in the literary category.

I finished Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear.

I spent the majority of the book struggling to form a mental image of the places and events he was describing. I found myself having to re-read passages to try and get an understanding of what was actually supposed to be happening.

Still, I enjoyed the book overall for the mystery and felt it had a satisfying conclusion.

I finished Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear.

I spent the majority of the book struggling to form a mental image of the places and events he was describing. I found myself having to re-read passages to try and get an understanding of what was actually supposed to be happening.

Still, I enjoyed the book overall for the mystery and felt it had a satisfying conclusion.

I'm reading that right now and having the exact same problem. There's nothing I love more than mystery/unexplained in space but this is too high concept and bizarre. I'm kinda looking forward to finishing. I think I'm at 80% right now.

Ashes

Banned
the official tie-in edition. lol.

They had to call tell you that. I mean you can see a still from the movie on the front cover I guess. And its not like anybody else can use a movie still without infringing copyright. But just in case, you didn't know, we're gonna put that little bit of information on the cover.

tbh, that's a decent cover underneath the golden banners etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom