• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2013)

NekoFever

0575099038.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Started this morning and took a little while to get my head around the world, and only read a couple of chapters, but really enjoying it so far. Characters seem quite interesting and I'm curious to see where the story goes.

I started this yesterday. Nothing's quite hit the heights of the awesome prologue chapter but I like it so far.

0575099038.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Started this morning and took a little while to get my head around the world, and only read a couple of chapters, but really enjoying it so far. Characters seem quite interesting and I'm curious to see where the story goes.

Best book I've read all year.

Where is that cover from? Fan art?

I'm terrified to pick something new to read because I don't know how to read in moderation. I can't afford a day-long binge during term....

Except "This is how you lose her." I can somehow manage to do it one story/chapter at a time. so that's what I've been picking up every so often.

I'm terrified to pick something new to read because I don't know how to read in moderation. I can't afford a day-long binge during term....

Except "This is how you lose her." I can somehow manage to do it one story/chapter at a time. so that's what I've been picking up every so often.

Just read the first chapter of "This is How You Lose Her" and the last. The rest of the book is about nothing but that Yunior is a piece of shit. There's like one good chapter in between the first and last.

Pau

Thats really unfortunate, I could understand a few weeks difference between release dates, but nearly 5 months seems harsh.
Yeah, it's usually a month at most. Ordered it off Amazon UK but I really don't get the decision. Are his books just not selling anymore in the US?

FnordChan

For JJ Abrams/Lost fans.... this looks rather interesting. I'd imagine the physical copy is the only way to read it.

I'm not much of an Abrams fan, but S. looks like such a fun book to play with that I couldn't resist ordering a copy. Some reviews are enthusiastic and some are, well, less than enthusiastic, but if nothing else I figure S. is worth checking out as an art object. God knows how libraries are going to try to handle it, though.

F.

I'm not much of an Abrams fan, but S. looks like such a fun book to play with that I couldn't resist ordering a copy. Some reviews are enthusiastic and some are, well, less than enthusiastic, but if nothing else I figure S. is worth checking out as an art object. God knows how libraries are going to try to handle it, though.

F.

Saw a brief interview with Abrams and his co-author yesterday, and they asked the co-author, 'Since the marginalia is essentially a second book within the first book, did you get paid double?'. Much laughter ensued. Sounds cool.

Yeah doesn't look like there's an ebook version. Can see why looking at this

Will definitely check it out at some point. Looks cool.

There's actually an ebook in the iTunes store. I've only downloaded the free sample, but it seems to work reasonably well. You can hide any of the notations and can interact with (or hide) the inserted documents. There is a note at the beginning recommending the physical version but claiming the ebook version is fully featured.

I really want to buy it, but I don't buy any ebook that I can't rip the DRM from, and given the level of interactivity, I doubt this one is a typical ebook that I can load into Calibre to pop out a DRM-free epub or mobi.

I also really don't want a physical version, both because I don't want to have anymore physical media if I can help it, and also because I much prefer reading books on my iPad. I know a lot of people still like the visceral feel of an actual book, but it's almost like a chore to me. With all the additional materials in this book, I feel like this will be even harder for me to read in bed under the covers or on the tube (the two places I read).

I've gone back and forth between buying the physical version to read and then to try and give away, but then at that point I feel like I might as well just get the ebook and not worry about ripping the DRM because if I'm willing to give away the physical book when I'm done, who cares about future access to the ebook...

...I've got issues.

Maybe I'll wait for more reviews.

Finished "Hells Angels" by H.S.T, was abit more fact and date than I expected. Still an ok read.

Picked up High Fidelity but Ive yet to start it and then Im going to read Catcher in the rye because a friend of mine keeps saying I should.

Jintor

i liked high fidelity but if you asked me why i'd have no idea what to tell you

I love second hand bookstores but god damn if you can ever find anything ever. But when you do find something exactly what you wanted for like $2 it's the best thing.

Finally found the time to start The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Like I said in a previous thread, I had quite a lot of problems with another book of her (Oryx and Crake), so I was a little bit sceptical. But I'm 15% in and so far it's really interesting and again quite thought-provoking.

obin_gam

I am at the Epilogue now on "THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA" and it has been such a wonderful and fun journey! The best part was the
flashbacks
since it dragged a bit otherwise with the
booze-scam,
. But otherwise it is basically flawless.

I can and will recommend this book to everyone I see, no matter what the age or preferences are. Truly, one of the best adventure books in modern times.

On my way home from work now I will start Dan Simmons' "THE TERROR"

Am in the mood for some wintery horror now after the venician summer adventure.

NekoFever

Why are they so bad compared to the US ones? Why not...just use the same one?

So good.

Different publishers (Tor in the US and Gollancz in the UK). I don't know why they can't license the same artwork, though.

But you could make a thread out of weird changes in book covers in transition across the Atlantic.

Words of Radiance has a much worse US cover than Way of Kings. The UK one looks merely equally bad.

Finished the Abercrombie short story about Shy last night. I love his writing and really enjoyed the background on this character.

Back to Day by Day Armageddon. 2/3 through.

Blitzzz

There's actually an ebook in the iTunes store. I've only downloaded the free sample, but it seems to work reasonably well. You can hide any of the notations and can interact with (or hide) the inserted documents. There is a note at the beginning recommending the physical version but claiming the ebook version is fully featured.

I really want to buy it, but I don't buy any ebook that I can't rip the DRM from, and given the level of interactivity, I doubt this one is a typical ebook that I can load into Calibre to pop out a DRM-free epub or mobi.

Hmm interesting... I found a Kobo version as well. I'm not sure if it is interactive like the iTunes one though.

I wouldn't mind a physical version of this book but I'm not sure how I would read it on the subway with all the loose notes and pages haha

Just finished world war Z
This was probably the most fun i have had reading in awhile. New format was refreshing, not the best book or story, just fun to read.

Onto Sandman.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Different publishers (Tor in the US and Gollancz in the UK). I don't know why they can't license the same artwork, though.

But you could make a thread out of weird changes in book covers in transition across the Atlantic.

Words of Radiance has a much worse US cover than Way of Kings. The UK one looks merely equally bad.

Tor basically called in a favour with Michael Whelan to bring him out of retirement (book cover retirement, at least) to do the covers for Sanderson's series. I imagine that Gollancz didn't want to pony up the money necessary to purchase the rights to Whelan's art (it's expensive), and they already have a consistent style with Sanderson's other UK releases.

bankster

Banned
The-Affair2.png

Lee Child - The affair

Reacher is a great character and Child's books are great pulp.

42481.jpg

Ricardo Duchesne - The uniqueness of western civilization

In fits and starts. Interesting and iconoclastic.

The_Moon_Is_A_Harsh_Mistress_(book).jpg

Robert A. Heinlein - A moon is a harsh mistress

A classic that has been long overdue on my to-read-list.

Next up:

Grain-Brain-Dr-David-Perlmutter-300x283.png

David Perlmutter - Grain brain

An interesting book about the connection between diseases of animals and humans. Like that cancer was even prevalent in dinosaurs, self-harm in horses, depression in gorillas and dolphin diabetes. Really shits on modern pop-sci views on health issues. And I like it for that.

You can see a lecture given by the author here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zV3cN1kNXc

Grain-Brain-Dr-David-Perlmutter-300x283.png

David Perlmutter - Grain brain
He's full of a lot of shit. Especially his connections to mental illness, a subject that I know all too well. He says that our ancestors ate 75% fat 20% protein and 5% carbs. Modern estimates of what they ate is closer to 37% protein 41% carbs 22% fat, mostly plants, grains included. See the work of Eaton and Konner, a quick google search and you can read most of their papers. He misrepresents the Mediterranean diet and epidemiological studies.

"Dr. Perlmutter serves as Medical Advisor for The Dr. Oz Show." is a big clue he wants to associated with known quacks.

Basically, he presents a good argument in a bad way.

You'd be better off reading Pollan's Omnivores Delema and In the Defense of Food. And even those are a bit flawed, like Pollan's anti-GMO stance.

Or if you want easy to read textbooks I suggest
Evolutionary Medicine and Health: New Perspectives

Why We Get Sick: The New Science of Darwinian Medicine

Keep in mind that these books are still highly speculative and questionable but provide scholarly discussions of the role of evolution and health. Something devoid in most fad diet books.

Just finished. What the hell did I just read? It's like the comic book guy from the Simpsons wrote the most cookie cutter teenage sci-fi fanfic about the '80s staring himself. The whole book was a giant trope. What make me cringe was that I understood nearly all of the references and even several inconsistencies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just finished. What the hell did I just read? It's like the comic book guy from the Simpsons wrote the most cookie cutter teenage sci-fi fanfic about the '80s staring himself. The whole book was a giant trope. What make me cringe was that I understood nearly all of the references and even several inconsistencies.

Let out your anger, your rage, all of it.

There we go.

Welcome to the club.

sgossard

It's the guy's first book and at least it's not pretencious. Take it for what it is, a young adult sci-fi book.

Jag

It's the guy's first book and at least it's not pretencious. Take it for what it is, a young adult sci-fi book.

Except most of the references were ones young adults wouldn't appreciate as much as someone who lived through that stuff.

I will give him extra points for Rush references though!

Jenga

Banned
Except most of the references were ones young adults wouldn't appreciate as much as someone who lived through that stuff.

I will give him extra points for Rush references though!

I've always wanted to reference By-Tor and the snow dog in something

And even then, he went into such obnoxiously excruciating detail that you can't even call them references. He wrote a collection of poorly linked wikipedia entries, and wrapped it up in the dream MMO of a 13 year old living in 2002.

Flek

Banned
0CeedE9.png

just started reading this and really like it so far. Great humor and i always love stuff about tech.

Top Bottom