• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2013)

I'm currently reading Hatching Twitter by Nick Bilton. As you might guess, it's a behind the scenes look at the creation of Twitter and the impact it had on it's founders.

It reminds me a lot of The Accidental Billionaires, and it has really changed my opinion on a lot of the people involved in Twitter, particularly Jack Dorsey. The book reads more like a story rather than one on one interviews, although Bilton had direct communication with all the people involved in the book.

The book is relatively short, 300ish pages and I haven't been able to put it down since it was released this past Tuesday. I highly recommend it if you're at all interested in technology.

ymmv

Banned
Finished off Dead Souls by Nikolai Gogol and can't say I was terribly impressed. It had some beautiful moments, but sometimes it was so dreadfully dull.

Now going to read something hopefully a little more faster paced. Tough as Nails: The Complete Cases of Donahue: From the Pages of Black Mask by Frederick Nebel.

15897707.jpg

I haven't got that one yet, but I do have Frederic Nebel's volumes 1 and 2 of "The Complete Casebook of Cardigan" on my virtual bedside table. There are four volumes and at $5 the ebooks aree a steal.

Speaking of great deals, Amazon is having a sale on ebooks by some of the best crime writers of the fifties and early sixties: Day Keene, Wade Miller, Whit Masterson (aka Wade Miller), Peter Rabe, Gil Brewer, Richard Powell, William Campbell Gault, Frank Kane ... Only $0.99 Great bargains to be had if you're into the Hard Case Crime series and you want more books in that vein. It's a shame about the new covers though, I wish they had used the original art. I've bought a whole lot of them and have tried to replace the covers with the original cover art but there are still a few covers missing.

ymmv

Banned
The last books I read were:

51iwRssMi5L.jpg
510noYxfbKL.jpg

Both great books. The cover of Joyland looks like it's going to be a tyical horror novel by King, but it's for the most part a very well written and sometimes even touching book about a young university student who decides to spend a year at an amusement part to get over his broken heart. There's a crime element (a serial killer), there's the super natural element, but for the most part it's about people. Great little novel.

The Lock Artist is a about a young guy who became a loner after a traumatic childhood experience that left such a mark that he hadn't been able to speak ever since. There's one thing he's really good at: picking locks. There are two time lines and you slowly find through multiple flashbacks how Michael "the miracle boy" became the go to safe cracker for various gangs and how he found love and lost it. Great crime novel. I'm not at all surprised this won the Edgar Award for best crime novel in 2010.

fakefaker

I haven't got that one yet, but I do have Frederic Nebel's volumes 1 and 2 of "The Complete Casebook of Cardigan" on my virtual bedside table. There are four volumes and at $5 the ebooks aree a steal.

Speaking of great deals, Amazon is having a sale on ebooks by some of the best crime writers of the fifties and early sixties: Day Keene, Wade Miller, Whit Masterson (aka Wade Miller), Peter Rabe, Gil Brewer, Richard Powell, William Campbell Gault, Frank Kane ... Only $0.99 Great bargains to be had if you're into the Hard Case Crime series and you want more books in that vein. It's a shame about the new covers though, I wish they had used the original art. I've bought a whole lot of them and have tried to replace the covers with the original cover art but there are still a few covers missing.

One day I'll get those Cardigan's, since my backlog is already so huge!

I'll look that up thanks, that's a bargin. Yeah the original covers were the best. I wish you could buy some of the old school stuff as prints to hang on your wall...like this. Sorry for the huge image gaf.

Amazing-Stories-November-1930-600x812.jpg

ymmv

Banned
One day I'll get those Cardigan's, since my backlog is already so huge!

I'll look that up thanks, that's a bargin. Yeah the original covers were the best. I wish you could buy some of the old school stuff as prints to hang on your wall...like this. Sorry for the huge image gaf.

Amazing-Stories-November-1930-600x812.jpg

You can find tons of super high res pulp SF cover art here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8772787@N02/sets

Most covers are 2000x3000. I bet you could turn these into very nice posters.

If you want to read the stories as well, check out the pulpscans Yahoogroup. You'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

Jintor

I decided to read through Oe because of my personal statement for JET touched upon three famous Japanese writers. I couldn't put down Oe's name without reading at least one novel.

Applying to JET too? How's application going?

I have some assignments to finish before I can write my personal statement, but I should really get on that ASAP, it's getting too close to the deadline for my liking :T

I'm rereading Ender's Game. I first read it over a decade ago and the movie made me nostalgic. I'm reading Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind.

Necrovex

Applying to JET too? How's application going?

I have some assignments to finish before I can write my personal statement, but I should really get on that ASAP, it's getting too close to the deadline for my liking :T

I completed my application today and got my final form taken care of. All I am waiting now is for the tech team to fix their screw up. One answer is indecipherable on the PDF (the one asking about my major). So I have to wait for the tech dude to reply to my request and fix that error. A tad peeve that I must wait on this dude to fix that error. I want to ship this application in!

I spent *months* on my personal statement. I started in July, and I completed it in October. So much time was invested into that bugger. I treated it like a god damn research paper.

I also graduated in May, and I am sitting around until I can get into one of these programs to possibly disappear for a few years or to kickstart my career.

Necrovex

Your personal statement is like two double-spaced pages long though o_O

I *really* want to get in. I am anal when it comes to simple paper (I saw my baby sister's research paper lying on the kitchen counter, and I took out a black pen and marked all over it with criticism and pointers).

I went super anal with this paper with multiple people looking over it, and I went through six revisions before reaching a final version.

Necrovex

Haha, I just hope they don't focus on japanese novelists too hard, I've only ever read Murakami... ==;;

I doubt they will. Every personal statement is different. I wanted to show a combination of my work experience and my interests in Japan. There are many ways to express the latter. I went with the literature route since I adore Murakami, and I thought it was time to expand to other famous authors.

Hell, I have a strong desire to read about Genji, even though it is just a book about a dude getting laid.

Edit: My sister didn't appreciate me fixing her paper or giving her valid criticism for her research proposal. I even played nice when I edited it. (Should I have edited her paper without her request? No, however copy-editing is too much fun.)

jordisok

003307-FC222.jpg

Just finished this, came onto it pretty soon after Foundation and just ordered the last in the original 3 too. Would have to do some serious wrong to make me not consider this potentially the greatest book series I've read, kinda blown away.

EDIT: Also the covers (the picture doesn't do it justice) are amazing.

I doubt they will. Every personal statement is different. I wanted to show a combination of my work experience and my interests in Japan. There are many ways to express the latter. I went with the literature route since I adore Murakami, and I thought it was time to expand to other famous authors.

Hell, I have a strong desire to read about Genji, even though it is just a book about a dude getting laid.

You should also try some Kobo Abe if you like Japanese surrealism. Kinda similar to Murakami in some ways.

hythloday

0575099038.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Started this morning and took a little while to get my head around the world, and only read a couple of chapters, but really enjoying it so far. Characters seem quite interesting and I'm curious to see where the story goes.

I'm about 300 pages in, and I'm surprised how much I like it. I'm usually picky about fantasy. Sanderson's a great writer, and I find myself very eager to learn more about the characters.

Nezumi

Anybody know about some cool fantasy books set in an asian-inspired universe? Little sick of all this middle ages stuff.

Definitly try The Long Price Quartet. It is awsome! And since I finished it yesterday
13578175.jpg

also gets a recomandation. Really fun and fast read. Loved the whole idea of soulstamps and seals.

I also finished:
9780316129060_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

Like the first one this was great fun to read. I really liked the new characters, which was good because I was afraid I would miss
Miller
Started the third book already and hope that it will be a fitting conclusion to the series. Only complaints I have are:
The term "vomit zombies" really rubs me the wrong way because it feels so out of place. In addition I really thought that the whole scene where Holden storms that ship full of "new vomit zombies" was a bit too.... I don't know... out of tone. The build up was so dramatic and then it was over in a couple of pages and nothing really happend.The whole self destruction and sacrifice scene was just so stereotypical and cheesy.

see5harp

Oh!

You should read A Personal Matter, and then Rouse Up O Young Men of the New Age!; they're both semi-autobiographical looks at the effects of his mentally handicapped son's effect on his life, as well as the influence of William Blake on his work (in the latter book; the former is more particularly about the birth of his son). They're very powerful and often disturbing. I liked them much more than Nip the Buds, Shoot the Kids myself.

A Personal Matter is truly touching. I had a brother born with severe mental and physical birth defects and that book really helped get through tough times after my brother passed away.

Anyways I finally decided to tackle Wonder Boys by Chabon, since I had basically read everything else he's written. It's really good. I wish Chabon would just go back to writing stories about college and academic life instead of trying to do so much much with genre mashups. I think Lethem has the same problem where he's trying desperately to show how hip and unique he is.

I'm about 300 pages in, and I'm surprised how much I like it. I'm usually picky about fantasy. Sanderson's a great writer, and I find myself very eager to learn more about the characters.

It gets even better. By the time you reach the end you'll experience several "Hell yeah!" moments like I did.

Newline

Just finished reading 1984 today. What an unnerving, uncomfortable and most of all unrelenting read that was.

I found it completely fascinating though, it really did grip me in that third act.

No idea what to read next. I think I need something slightly less intense.

smiggyRT

Slowly making my way through Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy for the first time, hoping to start Speaker for the Dead as soon as i finish.

-Mr.Green-

Neo Member
Finished The Origin of the Species by C. Darwin.

Now I'm reading:

el-retablo-del-conde-eros-eliseo-alberto_MLM-O-3012912587_082012.jpg

And after finishing it, i will read:

1849g.JPG

This is me reading:

j74SykU.gif

Jintor

oh, wouldn't you know it, Long Price Quartet not available on kindle in australia. Fucking region locked on fucking books. I don't believe this shit

Warp

Neo Member

I'm reading all of these in my Behavioral Finance class. Seriously life changing stuff here folks.

Fusebox

Banned
oh, wouldn't you know it, Long Price Quartet not available on kindle in australia. Fucking region locked on fucking books. I don't believe this shit

It's pretty easy to add an American address to your Amazon account and then set that as your Kindles country. And did you see my Otori rec on the last page?

phoenixyz

I want to start reading the Expanse series. "The Butcher of Andersion Station" is a prequel story right? So, should I read it first, BookGAF?

Nezumi

I want to start reading the Expanse series. "The Butcher of Andersion Station" is a prequel story right? So, should I read it first, BookGAF?

It is a prequel, but I would say that you should read Leviathan Wakes first. I think the story doesn't work that well if you don't have the knowledge presented in the first book.

Currently reading:

9780099555988.jpg

My plan is between now and next September when I move to read all the hard copy books on my shelf that I've not read. Something like 40 books. Not going to happen, I think, given that I also have my own writing to finish, but if I can knock out 20 I'll be happy. The real key? Don't visit any used book shops....

duckroll

You think so? I've read The Fifth Head of Cerberus, Latro in the Mist, Peace, and The Book of the New Sun and I've always found his prose quite engaging.

Agreed, I've only read Book of the New Sun and was always engaged.

I think I worded that poorly, but what I was trying to express was that it's not the immediate content of the prose that engages and excites the reader, but rather the meaning and implications behind it.

I find his work very engaging too, but not in the way you would normally read a page turner where the dialogue and narrative is written with the intention to be as descriptive and precise as possible to keep the reader interested in following the moment. Instead Wolfe likes to lay back and let the suggestive power of the prose engage the reader. I keep reading because of the sense of mystery and wonder in being part of unique and alien experiences, even though his narrators are often imprecise, sometimes frustrating, and the written text sparse on details.

I think it's an interesting point to discuss, because it's not that the work itself isn't interesting to read, but it's designed from the onset to be intentionally as uninteresting a narrative for a very interesting set of events. The matter-of-fact manner of the prose is a large part of that. My statement wasn't so much meant to be a critique as a warning to those unfamiliar with his work that they might feel this way when starting one of his stories.

Danielsan

I just finished Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane

7Cd1itR.jpg

My second Gaiman book, and I think I loved it even more than American Gods. Short, gripping, fantastical and very emotional. I could barely put it down and I'll admit that I chocked up during the final chapters.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Finished Hitchikers guide to galaxy...
As a fan of philosophy and reading, this book ended up being great at the end.
More on the philosophy side than the reading side tho.
Didn't care for a single character, but I don't think I was supposed to.

I want to see the movie

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Finished Hitchikers guide to galaxy...
As a fan of philosophy and reading, this book ended up being great at the end.
More on the philosophy side than the reading side tho.
Didn't care for a single character, but I don't think I was supposed to.

I want to see the movie

No you don't. You really don't. You want to listen to the original radio shows instead.

Pau

Finished The New Jim Crow (which everyone living in the USA should read) and started on King Leopold's Ghost. So far it's told in a very engaging manner, even if the subject matter is tough. Hochschild isn't a historian but a journalist, hence the style, but he still manages to be very accurate. Anyone have recommendations for other history books written in this style?

Piecake

Finished The New Jim Crow (which everyone living in the USA should read) and started on King Leopold's Ghost. So far it's told in a very engaging manner, even if the subject matter is tough. Hochschild isn't a historian but a journalist, hence the style, but he still manages to be very accurate. Anyone have recommendations for other history books written in this style?

Good book. Well, this one isnt really told in a journalist style, more of a narrative history style, but it is well-written, easy to follow, and the subject matter is interesting. So yea, no complex analysis or boring detailed information. He just tells you the story you need to know as entertainingly as he can make it (I think - its been a while).

Whether read for its powerful account of the largest uprising in human history, or for its foreshadowing of the terrible convulsions suffered by twentieth-century China, or for the narrative power of a great historian at his best, God's Chinese Son must be read. At the center of this history of China's Taiping rebellion (1845-64) stands Hong Xiuquan, a failed student of Confucian doctrine who ascends to heaven in a dream and meets his heavenly family: God, Mary, and his older brother, Jesus. He returns to earth charged to eradicate the "demon-devils," the alien Manchu rulers of China. His success carries him and his followers to the heavenly capital at Nanjing, where they rule a large part of south China for more than a decade. Their decline and fall, wrought by internal division and the unrelenting military pressures of the Manchus and the Western powers, carry them to a hell on earth. Twenty million Chinese are left dead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393315568/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So yea, the purpose isnt to uncover some social injustice and bring to live the shittiness of colonialism, its to tell history. You still get to see the shittiness of Colonialism while reading it though (i think)

Top Bottom