• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2010)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OMG! A new culture novel, already?

<3

Mind you, I still haven't made my way through the whole series yet. But it's nice to know there's a growing collection to enjoy. I love these books!

canocha

Currently reading:

22gtg4.jpg

Loving it!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
any recommendations for getting into Stanislaw Lem? I have Memoires Found in a Bathtub and The Futurological Congress on my wishlist....are those good ones to start with?

Just got done with this last night:

I gave it 3/5 stars. Pretty good world building, I eventually grew to like the characters, great illustrations, but the book just felt too pre-YA-ish. Hoping the next book of the series (coming out tomorrow!) will delve deeper into the characters.

Think I'm gonna start on this next:

KidDork

Finished Dead Bones by Kathy Reichs. It was better than I expected, but when I can answer a forensic question that takes Tempe Brennan almost 200 pages to figure out, there's something wrong. It felt like Enforced Stupidity in order to keep other elements of the plot in play. Despite that, I really enjoyed Reichs' work, and will seek out the earlier Tempe novels.

Just started this:

empowered6.jpg

GAF seems to like, so I thought I'd check it out. So far, I'm enjoying the craziness. Have yet to see why it came with a huge Parental Advisory sticker slapped on the front, but I'm suspecting it has something to do with the state of Empowered's shredding costume. Been on a manga kick lately, so this fits right in.

And this:

Horus-Rising-hb.jpg

I really do enjoy Dan Abnett's take on the Warhammer universe--and I've never even played the game. Anything Abnett writes I'll usually pick up. He's writes smart adventure stories, here and in comics.

Dresden

beststoriesofyourlife.jpg

I've read most of the stories in the volume elsewhere, but there was one I had not: Story of Your Life.

I get about two, three pages in and it's easy, I think, to see the setup between the nonlinear narration towards her daughter combined with the sequence featuring her interactions with the heptapods.

Then the story just punches you in the gut and halfway through I had to get up and walk around a bit, dazed, because my mind just got blown and in my heart there's a dull ache beginning to swell up as well, the precursors of what I can see is a heartbreaking setup. I get a drink (by this point the Patriots were beating Miami's ass; I'd started reading the story at half-time), finish the drink, and sit back down to finish the story.

So I finish the story and I'm just sitting there with my mind, again, blown and my heart is breaking like I'd just read the conclusion of an Ishiguro novel.

Jesus.

Christ.

One of the best stories I've ever read. Ted Chiang is a master, but, goddamn.

Narag

KidDork said:
I really do enjoy Dan Abnett's take on the Warhammer universe--and I've never even played the game. Anything Abnett writes I'll usually pick up. He's writes smart adventure stories, here and in comics.

The first three books are effectively a trilogy by three different authors. Abnett's take on it was fantastic and a real treat to read which unfortunately left the next two titles a bit lacking compared to his work. Just a heads up if you proceed is all.

Fletcher

I'm hoping maybe somebody here can help me. It being October I'm looking for a good book of collected classic horror stories/urban legends. I'm talking classic campfire tales. Like he one about the guy and the hook for a hand and terrors going on at camps. I had one once when I was younger, but can't remember it or find anything like it. I do have the scary stories to tell in the dark books, which the illustrations will always be freaky to me.

JavyOO7

Finished Go Ask Alice and The Name of this Book is Secret. Would like to read the rest of the "Secret" series and then Diary of a Whimpy Kid series. They're cute books.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
nakedsushi, a popular blogger is doing steampunk month on his blog with some interviews and guest posts from authors.

Fletcher said:
I'm hoping maybe somebody here can help me. It being October I'm looking for a good book of collected classic horror stories/urban legends. I'm talking classic campfire tales. Like he one about the guy and the hook for a hand and terrors going on at camps. I had one once when I was younger, but can't remember it or find anything like it. I do have the scary stories to tell in the dark books, which the illustrations will always be freaky to me.

I had Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark when I was a kid and loved that book. The illustrations were freaky, especially for a kid's book. I found it on ebay:

!B08)rWw!Wk~$(KGrHqV,!hsE)qBUUSPBBMceH,q8!g~~_12.JPG

Danielsan

Still slowly making my way through Norwegian Wood.

Picked up these yesterday:

46291_159417687410755_100000275738351_441522_444348_n.jpg

So after Norwegian Wood I will probably start on 1984. :D

wrowa

Finally! :D

1q84.th.jpg

1Q84, the new Murakami jusrt arrived at my place. Didn't have a chance yet to take a look inside (as you can see, it's still inside its protection foil), but there's no doubt I will very soon start reading Murakami's longest novel to date. Can't wait anymore! :)

The Chef

Guileless said:
nakedsushi, a popular blogger is doing steampunk month on his blog with some interviews and guest posts from authors.

I had Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark when I was a kid and loved that book. The illustrations were freaky, especially for a kid's book. I found it on ebay:

I just bought that book! I remembered it from my school library. It scared the crap out of me when I was younger but mostly because of the creepy illustrations and the paper has almost a mildewy smell. Love it.

This thread always makes me want to spend a ton of money buying books, even though I have a fairly considerable backlog.

417-vgCun7L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-27,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

517oE3-SuLL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Probably going to start this after I finish Soccer in a Football World

51%2B1D0SGE-L._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-15,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
wrowa said:
1Q84, the new Murakami jusrt arrived at my place. Didn't have a chance yet to take a look inside (as you can see, it's still inside its protection foil), but there's no doubt I will very soon start reading Murakami's longest novel to date. Can't wait anymore! :)
German version, right? Jealous... :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
wrowa said:

1q84.th.jpg

Man, I still have long wait until english edition (2011 sep.) :(

eznark

Banned
Cyan said:
That was hilarious. Especially since he actually followed through on the story about sentient yogurt.

I found it hilarious that John Scalzi was calling other people nerds in a derogatory fashion.

Fireblend said:
Last week I finished:

the_girl_with_the_dragon_tattoo-large2.jpg

2.5/5, definitely not my kind of book, but it was entertaining. I would compare it to watching a Jerry Bruckheimer Movie.

This week I started:

the-unbearable-lightness-of-being.jpg

So far so good. Being in Prague it only seemed logical :p

Next up:

gravitys-rainbow.jpg

Really excited for this one, it's been on my wishlist forever. :D

(Repost from almost last page of sept thread)

God I want to read Gravity's Rainbow so badly. But I'm scared, I'm honestly frigthened by it. Should I just man up and read it? XD

I'm reading Lord of Light at the moment. Almost done with it, really liking it. I think I'll read "The Windup Bird Chronicle" next. My first Murakami novel.

Fireblend

Banned
wrowa said:

1q84.th.jpg

Damn you, you just made me check wikipedia for the english version's release date. Almost a year to go >.<

thomaser

wrowa said:

1q84.th.jpg

Jealous! But I hope for your sake that the translation is a good one. I was at the Murakami Festival in Oslo a month ago (saw him, yay!), and three of his translators had a discussion about the book. They are all experienced Murakami-translators, and they all seemed to struggle with this project in various ways. The German edition, however, was translated very quickly. I hope it's not rushed. Maybe your translator is just that efficient!

KidDork

Narag said:
The first three books are effectively a trilogy by three different authors. Abnett's take on it was fantastic and a real treat to read which unfortunately left the next two titles a bit lacking compared to his work. Just a heads up if you proceed is all.

I appreciate that. Chances are I'll just find another Abnett I haven't read, and go with that.

Guileless said:

Nice, I didn't know anyone else was doing steampunk month. The idea just came to me spur of the moment at the end of September. Definitely gonna check out some of his recommendations in case I run out of books. Thanks!

Also, omg, the Scary Stories series f-ed me up as a kid. I was super paranoid about having baby spiders burst out of my skin in the bathtub thanks to one of those stories. I couldn't even look at the covers at night because they were so freaky.

I started on Boneshaker (link) yesterday, but then I realized that Behemoth (link)[/ur] comes out today, so I picked that up and started reading it instead, since it's probably better to read a whole series together instead of going back and forth.

Can't wait to see how the main character's secret gets discovered!
Not really too hot on the book cover though:
[url=http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1137215.Boneshaker]

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Just started Tropic Of Cancer by Henry Miller. About 80 pages in. It's blowing me away.

After this, Gravity's Rainbow.

Mollymauk

Guileless said:
Nice. I have the treasury that has all three volumes together in one. I keep it on a high shelf so my kids don't accidentally ruin their lives.

zmy2x.jpg

I'm continuing to read A Game of Thrones. This book keeps managing to engross me, and I think I should be finished it with relatively soon. I'll probably be starting on the second book shortly after.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with a recommendation. I'm getting my new Kindle on Friday and I'm trying to pick out the first book that I should read. Generally, I read non-fiction and biographies. I like to learn as much as I can from the books I read. For some reason I feel that I don't learn as much from fiction books. Do any of you have any recommendations for a fiction book that also teaches you a lot? I particularly would like it to deal with history and/or science. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

deadbeef

KingOfKong said:
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with a recommendation. I'm getting my new Kindle on Friday and I'm trying to pick out the first book that I should read. Generally, I read non-fiction and biographies. I like to learn as much as I can from the books I read. For some reason I feel that I don't learn as much from fiction books. Do any of you have any recommendations for a fiction book that also teaches you a lot? I particularly would like it to deal with history and/or science. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
Have you read Cryptonomicon?

deadbeef said:
Have you read Cryptonomicon?
Yup, finished it last month and LOVED it. It was a little long though. Any other recommendations?

I'm thinking about the new Ken Follet book. I read Pillars of the Earth and enjoyed it.

Burger

Dresden said:
I've read most of the stories in the volume elsewhere, but there was one I had not: Story of Your Life.

I get about two, three pages in and it's easy, I think, to see the setup between the nonlinear narration towards her daughter combined with the sequence featuring her interactions with the heptapods.

Then the story just punches you in the gut and halfway through I had to get up and walk around a bit, dazed, because my mind just got blown and in my heart there's a dull ache beginning to swell up as well, the precursors of what I can see is a heartbreaking setup. I get a drink (by this point the Patriots were beating Miami's ass; I'd started reading the story at half-time), finish the drink, and sit back down to finish the story.

So I finish the story and I'm just sitting there with my mind, again, blown and my heart is breaking like I'd just read the conclusion of an Ishiguro novel.

Jesus.

Christ.

One of the best stories I've ever read. Ted Chiang is a master, but, goddamn.

Yeah I love this entire book. There is a very very good reason as to why it's so recommended.

Wiggum2007

Duma_Key.jpg

Wow I loved this book, it is now easily one of my favorite Stephen King novels ever. I really loved the very human-centric story and relationships between the characters, such as between Edgar and Wireman, Wireman and Elizabeth, and Edgar and Ilse. Major spoilers:
I was so crushed at Ilse's death and the circumstances around it, I had to take a break from reading :(.
I've just finished reading it and I already miss the excellently written characters.

Been quite negligent with my reading habit lately. However, Baen seems to have lured me out.

n354591.jpg

Made quick work of Eric Flint's 1635: The Eastern Front (the latest in the main thread of the 1632 series), which continues the adventures of a small American town dislocated from the 1990s and re-established in the Europe of the early 17th century - thus creating an alternate universe - to forever change the timeline and events of the Earth they now inhabit with quaint and intoxicating notions of democracy and universal suffrage backed up by displays of technological wonder, much to the chagrin of Europe's nobility. It's probably my favourite alternate history series this side of Turtledove and Resnick, but the 1632 series has been suffering lately with Flint unwisely giving Virginia DeMarce more and more opportunities to write plotless novels in his shared universe. Thankfully, he's taken back control of the series' direction with this novel, and (outside of the terrible cover) it is a successful effort - if a bit stymied and rushed and thinly-stretched across multiple character viewpoints - with a crisis threatening the health and progressive spirit of the United States of Europe coming to a head in a genuine cliff-hanger of an ending. The first half of a potentially great novel, pretty much - and it's a good thing 1636: The Saxon Uprising comes out next April.

Otherwise, tried to get back into Weber's Harrington series, but yeah, there's only so much Mary Sue one can take. I'll probably pick up where I left off in the Flashman series to stave off my historical fiction craving - but one or two or several books I've been procrastinating on for weeks might get my attention before that.

Top Bottom