• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2011)

thomaser

STILL reading Pynchon's "Against the Day", which I started in mid-July. More than 2/3 through, but studies and other things make it slow going, so I might not finish it until next month. Enjoying every page, even if it's often hard to keep up the mental catalogue of all the characters and who they are.

thomaser said:
STILL reading Pynchon's "Against the Day", which I started in mid-July. More than 2/3 through, but studies and other things make it slow going, so I might not finish it until next month. Enjoying every page, even if it's often hard to keep up the mental catalogue of all the characters and who they are.

Yeah I'm planning on reading that one soonish. But I'm not sure if I should jump right into it right after reading "Gravity's Rainbow" it does intrigue me very much though, plus I heard while complex, its not as dense as GR

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
Spiffy_1st said:
feast_crows_uk.jpg

I envy you guys that are still on A Storm of Swords.

Just finished reading that a few days ago. Now to buy A Dance with Dragons. =P

GCX

Spiffy_1st said:
feast_crows_uk.jpg

I envy you guys that are still on A Storm of Swords.
I'm about half way through AFFC. I get why it caused so much controversy when it was released but I'm really liking it so far. It fleshes out the world and mythology so much and sets the stage for the upcoming events. Also the name of the book is perfect.

thomaser

Fanboydestroyer said:
Yeah I'm planning on reading that one soonish. But I'm not sure if I should jump right into it right after reading "Gravity's Rainbow" it does intrigue me very much though, plus I heard while complex, its not as dense as GR

Yeah, GR is denser, definitely. I would probably wait a little while before starting Against the Day, though. Perhaps read something light and easy, to kind of cleanse your mind before going on another Pynchon-marathon.

thomaser said:
Yeah, GR is denser, definitely. I would probably wait a little while before starting Against the Day, though. Perhaps read something light and easy, to kind of cleanse your mind before going on another Pynchon-marathon.

But I really enjoy Pynchon, his works are alot of fun, and I'm not sure I'm ready to leave Pynchonland. XD By the way, what is your general opinion on "ATD" so far?

51KjlAq126L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-45,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Not the last book I finished, but read recently and which dropped like a BOMB into my All-time top 5, which also includes Infinite Jest and Cryptonomicon, if that tells you where I'm coming from. It's about 14-year-olds at a Catholic boys school, donuts, and String and/or M Theory.

I mean, the very first sentence on the inside flap (written by Marketing people, I know, but still...) throws the smack down: 'First there was the Enfield Tennis Academy of Infinite Jest...'. If that's not balls the size of churchbells, I don't know what is, but Murray pulls it off seemingly with ease.

I LOVED this book. Did I mention I loved this book?

Seanspeed

Banned
GCX said:
I'm about half way through AFFC. I get why it caused so much controversy when it was released but I'm really liking it so far. It fleshes out the world and mythology so much and sets the stage for the upcoming events. Also the name of the book is perfect.
All the names except ADWD are perfect.

Its a fantastic book, but really, following ASOS is like following Queen in their prime. It will always be a bit of a letdown. That was one of the best books of all-time(or that I've ever read at least!).

600full-the-eye-of-the-world-cover.jpg

audiobook, really good stuff. I listen to it when I walk the dog
B171.jpg

every american should read this

0945466331.jpg

law-frederic-bastiat-paperback-cover-art.jpg

amazing how relevant this essay is, it was written in 1850

9EZ1m.jpg

Just finished this. I bought it on a whim since one of the Kindle offers I got was a "Pay 1$ on any of these choice Kindle books." It is about a guy fresh out of college who moves to NYC to figure out what he wants to do in life. Takes place in the mid to late 90s. It was an OK book.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
My thoughts on Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbera Ehrenreich:

51VMs9BdJ3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

goodreads description said:
Millions of Americans work for poverty-level wages, and one day Barbara Ehrenreich decided to join them. She was inspired in part by the rhetoric surrounding welfare reform, which promised that any job equals a better life. But how can anyone survive, let alone prosper, on $6 to $7 an hour? To find out, Ehrenreich moved from Florida to Maine to Minnesota, taking the cheapest lodgings available and accepting work as a waitress, hotel maid, house cleaner, nursing-home aide, and Wal-Mart salesperson. She soon discovered that even the "lowliest" occupations require exhausting mental and physical efforts. And one job is not enough; you need at least two if you intend to live indoors.

Nickel and Dimed reveals low-wage America in all its tenacity, anxiety, and surprising generosity -- a land of Big Boxes, fast food, and a thousand desperate strategies for survival. Instantly acclaimed for its insight, humor, and passion, this book is changing the way America perceives its working poor.

The short version: I’d give this book an 8.5/10. Ehrenreich’s journey through Florida, Maine, and Minnesota provides a brief but powerful glimpse into the lives of millions of people living at or below the poverty line. Ehrenreich outlined the rules that she had to follow in the beginning of the book: No resorting to her middle-upper class education or skills, accepting the highest paying job offered, and finding the lowest priced housing possible. A majority of her findings should not come as a surprise: low-wage jobs exact heavy physical and mental tolls, management abuse their position and power to control their subordinates, large corporations enjoy record profits on the shoulders of the working class, and acquiring even barely decent housing is no easy task. Coupled with low job security and the stress of living day to day without a medical safety net, it is a sobering reminder that day to day life for a huge portion of Americans was far from desirable even in times of peak economic prosperity (This book was published in 2001).

There were specific of this book that resonated with me. Reading through her adventures of waitressing in Florida, I totally get the horrors of being slammed with limited staff; the terror and the chaos associated with that situation still gives me nightmares. Her account of the franchise owner’s attitude towards his employees at the maid service in Maine reminded me of people I knew, franchise owners who cut hard working employees’ hours for being sick or being in car accidents, criticizing them for being lazy and telling them to just suck it up. (And they wonder why they can’t keep any staff!) The drive to accrue profit and the justification to wield power over others at the expense of human decency and compassion are both really evident here.

The writing is both snappy and descriptive - I really felt for the people who work alongside Ehrenreich. There are some sections that drag, especially her dealings at Walmart. Some people have also criticized Ehrenreich of being a tourist. There were several occasions where she needed help and resorted to her middle class life to make ends meet, but all in all I believed she did a good job of embracing the life of someone living from cheque to cheque. Of course, it is impossible to artificially replicate the stress of working two jobs because you have to, of having no prospects to look forward to, and the terror of having no support or buffer when times are tough.

Overall, the book really captured the psychology and mindset of the people that have lived below the poverty line all their lives. Thrift stores are not just a novelty destination, they are a necessity. Going to the doctor is just too expensive; just keep popping Tylenols and ibprofens to keep that pain under control. Sharing living accommodations in dilapidated houses or living out of motels are the norm; hopefully the car holds up and gas doesn’t get too expensive. There are no prospects, no hope on the horizon: just more burdens to shoulder as the body wears down and the mind dulls.

This book is highly recommended. I would actually like to see a revisit of the investigation in this book in 2011; I would imagine the dynamics are much different with both a soft job and housing market.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Currently reading The Scar by China Miéville. I'm about 1/4 of the way through the Kindle version.

Ooh, me me me!

I'm reading something!

In fact I'm dying to tell someone about this fantastic book. Unfortunately I don't know many people for whom it would be suitable. I fervently hope someone from GAF benefits from this recommendation!

Basically, if you like kung fu (in particularly the slightly OTT variety), and enjoy reading good books, then you should love Eagle Shooting Hero, by Jin Yong!

cover_loch.jpg

You can download it (as well as two of Jin Yong's subsequent works) from here: http://members.cox.net/foxs/home.html

For me this book is truly un-put-downable, and I resent anything that intrudes or distracts me from my reading. I'm so happy that there is so much of it, and two more books in the series to boot.

Just a note that it opens with a confusing history lesson, but in fact the book has a superlative sense of pace.

NeoGAF, prepare yourself!

thomaser

Fanboydestroyer said:
But I really enjoy Pynchon, his works are alot of fun, and I'm not sure I'm ready to leave Pynchonland. XD By the way, what is your general opinion on "ATD" so far?

Well, it's a typical Pynchon-book. Hundreds of characters with funny names from all over the world. Often difficult to tell them apart. A very unclear plot that jumps all over place and time, with tons of threads that get tangled together and break apart all the time. The usual mixture of highbrow and lowbrow, real and fantastical, jokes and tragedy, and people spontaneously breaking into song every 50th page or so. Pynchon does not deny himself anything - suddenly, he'll conjure a totally unbelievable, outrageous character or situation that most other authors would never dare dream about for fears of being laughed at. And he does it so brazenly that it actually works. It's fascinating and engrossing, but some parts are overlong and tiring. It's a book for people who love to get lost in grand tales and inventive ideas - not a book for people who need a fast-paced, clear-cut plot.

thomaser said:
Well, it's a typical Pynchon-book. Hundreds of characters with funny names from all over the world. Often difficult to tell them apart. A very unclear plot that jumps all over place and time, with tons of threads that get tangled together and break apart all the time. The usual mixture of highbrow and lowbrow, real and fantastical, jokes and tragedy, and people spontaneously breaking into song every 50th page or so. Pynchon does not deny himself anything - suddenly, he'll conjure a totally unbelievable, outrageous character or situation that most other authors would never dare dream about for fears of being laughed at. And he does it so brazenly that it actually works. It's fascinating and engrossing, but some parts are overlong and tiring. It's a book for people who love to get lost in grand tales and inventive ideas - not a book for people who need a fast-paced, clear-cut plot.

I think maybe it's b/c I'm tired of "fasr-paced, clear cut plots" that I've warmed up to Pynchon. He certainly is different that's for sure.

Ashes

Banned
B-B-Bomba! said:
Ooh, me me me!

I'm reading something!

In fact I'm dying to tell someone about this fantastic book. Unfortunately I don't know many people for whom it would be suitable. I fervently hope someone from GAF benefits from this recommendation!

Basically, if you like kung fu (in particularly the slightly OTT variety), and enjoy reading good books, then you should love Eagle Shooting Hero, by Jin Yong!

cover_loch.jpg

You can download it (as well as two of Jin Yong's subsequent works) from here: http://members.cox.net/foxs/home.html

For me this book is truly un-put-downable, and I resent anything that intrudes or distracts me from my reading. I'm so happy that there is so much of it, and two more books in the series to boot.

Just a note that it opens with a confusing history lesson, but in fact the book has a superlative sense of pace.

NeoGAF, prepare yourself!

How did you find this?

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Small Favor by Jim Butcher

Keeper of Dreams by Orson Scott Card (a bunch of his short stories)

...so far all good books.

EDIT:

Unfair Advantage by Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad)

Forgot his book because I dedicate this book the least amount of time.

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Definitely a powerful book. I wasn't going to read this at all, but a co-worker highly recommended it. I guess I was wrong in a lot of what I thought about Columbine. This is definitely a hard book to put down, but I had to put it down at a few spots because it was SO intense. The two guys who did it were definitely bat-crap crazy with the hate.

Goody

I haven't posted in this thread in quite a while, if only because my reading lately has been pretty slow. In the last month and a half though, I did manage to finish a few novels.

5dM3J.jpg
cBCHt.jpg
WP4kO.jpg
PVZpZ.jpg
FQ2TN.jpg

The Sisters Brothers, by Patrick DeWitt. This is the author's second novel and an attempt at a revisionist Western. The story of a pair of outlaw brothers is pretty typical and while this isn't a genre piece, it falls into a few of its trappings. One brother seeks redemption while on an assassination, the other quite the opposite. DeWitt plays a lot with these stereotypes, sometimes not as well, but does bring them to an interesting place eventually. What really works here is the humor and by the last third, the book finally settles into a really comfortable place and ends powerfully.

Also, the entire way through, I had imagined the main character looking like John C. Reilly. For no reason at all. When I get to the end and read the acknowledgements, whose name do I see? But, of course: John C. Reilly.

Joe and Father and Son, by Larry Brown. Absolutely one of the South's finest voices and an absolute loss to American letters that we lost this writer so young. In both these novels the protagonists are down-and-outs and in both these novels their circumstances lead them to violence. In Joe, Brown gives us one of the most abhorrent and realistic villains in Wade Jones, an old drunken leech of his own children. Father and Son, on the other hand, delivers familial evil in a much more generational way. Fathers and sons, wives and other women and all the kids in between. It's such an elemental and powerful. One of the best I've honestly ever read.

Lime Creek, by Joe Henry. A lyrical novel of love and family on the Great Plains. The book has the unfortunate reek of musician-turned-first-time-novelist. There's some gorgeous language on display here, all very sensory and poetic, but I found myself wanting a lot more cohesion and clarity in its plotting. It was still a good read, but the problem I had with it is that I felt that Henry was trying to tell a story and he got just a little lost in how he was telling it. If this guy's written some shorter fiction, I'd love to get my hands on it.

Smonk, by Tom Franklin. A "Southern" telling the converging stories of E.O. Smonk, an aged and decrepit murderer, and Evavangeline, a violent 15 year-old ginger prostitute on the run from a troop of "Christian Deputies." Franklin has so much fun when he plays around with genre and so much fun when he plays with language. I just put it down after reading the last page just a few hours ago. His cocktail of violence and sex and humor is as effective as his work gets. His other novels, Hell at the Breach and Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, played around genre in the same way in varying degrees of effectiveness, but Smonk is the realization of the genius I read in his short story collection Poachers.

Beyond these the next few weeks look pretty bleak. I'm moving soon and I need to start getting a few hundred books into boxes, so I kept out a few that will hopefully carry me through until mid-November. Mostly short fiction to help keep me sane between workshop submission from my creative writing class.

Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned, stories by Wells Tower.
Knockemstiff, stories by Donald Ray Pollock.
The Collected Works of Flannery O'Connor.
Long, Last, Happy, collected stories by Barry Hannah.
The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter.
And a novel: Fay, by Larry Brown.

Salazar

The Rats and the Ruling Sea by Robert V.S. Redick.

Second book in a moderately splendid series. A little bit of Hornblower, some Narnia. Initially quite confusing, and I won't profess - even a book and two-thirds into it - to know completely or precisely what is going on, but it is very good.

And this second book was free. The chap threw it in when I bought the first, which suggests that it is not as highly regarded or commercially successful as it (in my view) clearly deserves to be.

Started Reaper's Gale by Erikson today. Gradually working my way through the series. Like where the story appears to be heading.

maomaoIYP

Mister_Mingi said:
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Incredible book, loved it.

I'm reading this now:
310tROeMdvL.jpg

Just before this I read his "The Unconsoled", I hated it soooo much. After this I'll move on to
41sJqqCylnL._SS500_.jpg

and then I would have finished reading all of his books.

Ashes1396 said:
How did you find this?
Just Googled for "jin yong novels english" and followed the Yahoo Answers result. The link given in the Yahoo Answer is actually broken but can be made to work by shortening it.

As for how I cottoned on to his work ... Through one of my all time favourite movies, The Evil Cult (or Kung Fu Cult Master). I believe it's based on (part of) 'Heavenly Sword & Dragon Saber', and sadly requires a sequel which it never got. However it's a true wonder of kinetic film-making.

I can't be sad the film didn't get followed up, because otherwise I would never have gone looking for the source material :)

Captain N

I haven't read a book in 8 years and just started reading one today. The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, Book 1)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Not sure what to start reading this month. What's a perfect fall/October novel? I'm considering either Ghost Story, by Peter Straub, or The Stand, by Stephen King.

Karakand

Large Professor said:
The Moon is a harsh mistress. The Russian accent of the narrator is kind of annoying.
Unless you're the kind of person that unironically recommends Austrian School books on the internet you should probably just stop there's not much else to it beyond that and Mike.

Yen

I just finished IT yesterday.
I did not expect a 12 year old orgy.
Good book, though.

Still reading Lord Foul's Bane, more than 1/3 of the way through. Slow going. It's tough to read a book where the main character is something of a douchebag.

A Storm of Swords
Although I'm taking a break since I rushed through the first two and there's no need to considering there are more books to come.

Just started Ready Player One
Interesting so far

Jarlaxle

BorkBork said:
My thoughts on Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbera Ehrenreich:

51VMs9BdJ3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I remember reading this book years ago. I thought it was pretty well written at the time but I also had the same issue that others seemed to pick up on. You can definitely tell that she understands some of the hardships and empathises with the "common/poor" people, but at the end of the day she knows she really doesn't have to continue living that life.

I don't think I could read this book now that I'm older though. Alot of what is brought up in this book I actually feel myself and it just depresses me and angers me at the same time. When I was in college (when I read it about 7 or 8 years ago), it just seemed like a well written look into dynamics of the lower class struggles. Now it's like a mirror to our society in general and it disgusts me.

I actually thought the Walmart section to be one of the best, interestingly enough.

Anyways, I'm still just reading Storm of Swords. I'm only about 500 pages in so far. I know this one seems to be everyone's favorite but so far I enjoyed both Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings more. I still have over 600 pages to go so we'll see what I think at the end.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished a book and trying to decide which to read next, but it will be one of the two:

iIfFg.jpg

QNez8.jpg

-edit-
going with Dancing...

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I'm trying to read some classic horror/gothic literature for this October (last year I only read Frankenstein because I didn't have as much time then as I do now.) My first read was The Castle of Otranto, which seems to be one of those books that most people are only going to read to get a sense of the history of the genre, and not for pleasure. Though it was quite short, even then it felt too long. I feel bad thinking negatively of it given its age (you can't really judge it by modern standards) and yet I have read books from the same time period that were far better.

Now I'm reading The Phantom of the Opera. Despite its presence in popular culture I honestly know very little about the story, having never read it or seen any of the adaptations. I look forward to reading it.

Mumei

Finished The Man in the High Castle. I didn't really care much for the ending and some of the stuff wasn't particularly realistic but it was interesting.

braves01

Banned
Lissar said:
I'm trying to read some classic horror/gothic literature for this October (last year I only read Frankenstein because I didn't have as much time then as I do now.) My first read was The Castle of Otranto, which seems to be one of those books that most people are only going to read to get a sense of the history of the genre, and not for pleasure. Though it was quite short, even then it felt too long. I feel bad thinking negatively of it given its age (you can't really judge it by modern standards) and yet I have read books from the same time period that were far better.

Now I'm reading The Phantom of the Opera. Despite its presence in popular culture I honestly know very little about the story, having never read it or seen any of the adaptations. I look forward to reading it.

Have you read The Monk by Matthew Lewis? It was written about thirty years after Castle of Otranto, but holds up much, much better imo. Thoroughly enjoyable, classic Goth lit. featuring rape, murder, and incest. You can imagine how shocking that would be circa 1795. By the way, Lewis wrote this at age 19 and was a member of Parliament, which makes it all the more impressive.

Kraftwerk

In last months thread Cyan mentioned how he couldn't get into Consider Phelbas. The first Ian M. Banks book about the Culture. I recommended him to read The Player of Games. Officialy I am almost done with the Culturverse, middle of Surface Detail.

But after recommending Cyan that book, I felt like re-reading it. Just for the hell of it.

My god it is a really beautifull book. Now that I have read more Culture novels I can truly apreciate it. The inside jokes, terminology, small details, and ofcourse fucking Ian M. Banks.

This man is truly a great writer. The Culture novels are some of the best Character studies ever put on paper. I just love how in this book
when Gurgeh is playing a game, he goes on in great detail writing about his every move, every feeling. the slightest change in facial expression, heart rate, counting individual sweat drops, and every other minor detail BUT WE STILL DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE GAME HE IS PLAYING. It does not matter in the end.
So wonderful.

RVwSm.jpg

Top Bottom