• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2014)

Piecake

Forget all those and read Black Reconstruction in America by DuBois instead.

No audible version of that. Plus, that really isnt on the civil war and I prefer my secondary sources to be a bit more modern. He apparently takes a Marxist view of labor relations, and I would like to avoid any of that.

Sadly, audible also does not have this available either, so I will have to go with this

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Zen Kobudo

This is supposed to be a book about Okinawan martial arts weapons, but is actually a profession of the author's non Buddhist but Buddha following faith masquerading as a book about Okinawan history. Kinda weird and disappointing, but it does have lots of interesting historical information.

Mr.Towel

No audible version of that. Plus, that really isnt on the civil war and I prefer my secondary sources to be a bit more modern. He apparently takes a Marxist view of labor relations, and I would like to avoid any of that.

Sadly, audible also does not have this available either, so I will have to go with this

Avoiding a piece of history writing because you think you might disagree with their thesis isn't a great way to approach reading about history.

Piecake

Avoiding a piece of history writing because you think you might disagree with their thesis isn't a great way to approach reading about history.

why would I bother reading something that I know that is going to annoy me when there are plenty of other history books out there that I want to read and I am reading them for knowledge and enjoyment?

Lowenbrau

Neo Member
Finishing the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones), by reading the combined version of the last two books, called by its creators A Feast of Dragons.

Before that I was rereading Piers Anthonys Xanth series, trying to get caught up.

Id also like to read The Strain trilogy I have yet to put on my Kindle.

You know what, I'm not going to say anything bad about it right now. He def. knows how to build a world. Whether he remembers how it was put together/how it works...?

haha exactly, Read most of the series and loved many of them... Havent read the last three books. I dont want to criticize. If I ever read them, I hope they are great.

TTG

17mtm4j7lswzcjpg.jpg

I was somewhat critical of Nick Harkaway's Gone Away World, mostly for the stretched, bloated size of that book. Starting Angelmaker makes me remember all the things that were great about him and they seem to shine even brighter this time around. It's pleasant, delightful, not very serious at all, adventurous and, most of all, incredibly well written. The quality of the prose makes my internal monologue(along with everything/one else!) seem so plain and clumsy by comparison. What a joy it is to read Angelmaker, I hope he can sustain this level of craftsmanship for the rest of the novel.

Mr.Towel

why would I bother reading something that I know that is going to annoy me when there are plenty of other history books out there that I want to read and I am reading them for knowledge and enjoyment?

I mean, I get if you're just not interested in reading it, there's absolutely no problem with that. There's too many books in the world and not enough time to read all the ones you want to. I just think Du Bois is an important figure in 20th century American historiography, and dismissing him because "I heard it's Marxist" is a little short sighted.

Piecake

I mean, I get if you're just not interested in reading it, there's absolutely no problem with that. There's too many books in the world and not enough time to read all the ones you want to. I just think Du Bois is an important figure in 20th century American historiography, and dismissing him because "I heard it's Marxist" is a little short sighted.

The two books I listed approach the topic in a very similar manner to Du Bois. Therefore, I am not going to read him just because he is an important figure. I'd rather read the better book, which, thanks to better access to sources and a non-marxist approach, I am fairly certain both will be.

Mr.Towel

The two books I listed approach the topic in a very similar manner to Du Bois. Therefore, I am not going to read him just because he is an important figure. I'd rather read the better book, which, thanks to better access to sources and a non-marxist approach, I am fairly certain both will be.

They both sound pretty interesting. Thanks for adding even more history bricks to my too read pile!

obin_gam

YQFfctJ.jpg

Not probably one of the best science fiction books I've read.
But the best science fiction book I've read.

It's 10% science fiction and 90% socio cultural discussions and demography.
What kind of culture do you bring with you if you get a chance to start a new civilization? Is religion needed? How would you control the population? Would you listen to the Earths governments or break out from their rule?

Every social science teacher needs to read this. As well as people with an inch of interest in science fiction or demography in general.

10 out of 10.
Flawless.

vareon

I'm starting Mistborn, also my first Brandon Sanderson book. Was in the mood for something lighter and so far I'm liking it!

Necrovex

Of the 2014 National Book Award finalists (and long-list), which ones should I start reading in both fiction and non-fiction? I see a ton of people reading Wolf in White Van.

Woorloog

Banned
Damn.
I said The Abyss Beyond Dreams' first chapter left me laughing. How that came back to haunt me. Books don't often leave me feeling horror but this... man.
Hamilton's stories are brilliant.
Too bad the book's shorter than usually, i don't have much left and no idea when the second part will be out (next year perhaps? Two years?).

Mr.Swag

Banned
Reading 'On Writing' and I'm loving it. Stephen King is such a great guy. Going to read 'The Stand' next, never read it. Happy Halloween!

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished I See By My Outfit by Peter S. Beagle

A non-fiction account of Beagle and his friend Phil's road trip from New York to California on motor scooters in 1963. The only Beagle book I had never read. It's just so Beagle that you could almost be reading one of his fiction books. He brings a kind of momentary magic to the people he and Phil meet, breathing as much life into them as he does the characters in his stories. It must be a wonderful skill to have and it's a joy to read.

A few quotes:

The wind means nothing to the pine trees; now and then a single row of them stirs all together, sending snow spilling down their feathery branches as slowly as a waterfall seen from far away.

Here Beagle meets an older man that's been somewhat crippled by a stroke that, I think, just might have served as inspiration for a certain skull in The Last Unicorn

Time is a distasteful concept to Mr. Beckman ("I haven't the faintest idea, and I don't want to know," he says when Phil asks him the hour. "Time is a made-up thing, like money. Numbers running around in a circle. There are plenty of circles waiting to make a slave out of you, you don't have to make them up"

"Ah, there it goes again, sure enough," he says sadly. "Time. You haven't any time. Well, you won't ever have any time, because there isn't any such thing, and you'll spend your whole life looking for some of it so you can put it aside to do the things you want to do. There isn't any time, there's just you. It'd be good if you could learn that young. It took me my whole life to learn, but I know it now."

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, damn. The Abyss Beyond Dreams is brilliant. Very gripping, i can't recall the last time i felt like this when reading a book.
What an unexpected ending.... man, i can't wait for the sequel.

Oh, damn. The Abyss Beyond Dreams is brilliant. Very gripping, i can't recall the last time i felt like this when reading a book.
What an unexpected ending.... man, i can't wait for the sequel.

Do I need to read the Void trilogy before that, or would I not be missing much? I read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, but couldn't get into the void stuff.

gaiages

Banned
I would like to offer you a suggestion. Stop here. I had also quite enjoyed Wizard's First Rule. The series will get much worse as it goes on. I find there is enough closure at the end of the first book to be satisfying. If you push on here, you may regret it. It doesn't get that bad right away. Stone of Tears and Blood of the Fold are also both pretty good books but start the setup for the rest of the series. Temple of the Winds takes a noticeable dive in quality and by the time you've reached Soul of the Fire, you've reached the entrance to the abyss.

Just a friendly warning.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks like this. I really enjoyed the first Sword of Truth book (and the third), but other than that... goodness. Temple of the Winds was terrible (
why the hell did the plague stuff have to be so detailed, it was disgusting
), and Faith of the Fallen felt kind of like a bad fan-fic (
Richard's great at everything ever because WIZARD and he made a statue so beautiful there were riots, oh and apparently he's like an awesome businessman/merchant... uh wat
). I *sorta* liked Soul of the Fire, mainly because it didn't even focus on Richard... the climax was really weird/stupid, though. After Faith of the Fallen I just gave up.

Anyway, I'm currently reading A Storm of Swords. I'm liking it a lot more than the second Song of Ice and Fire book, and my least favorite main character died, so that's cool.

Woorloog

Banned
Do I need to read the Void trilogy before that, or would I not be missing much? I read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, but couldn't get into the void stuff.

The Abyss deals with the Void as well.
You don't have to read the Void Trilogy though, as this is set before the events of the Void Trilogy. I think. I'd recommend reading the books in the publishing order though, there are some things that make more sense if you have read the Void Trilogy first.

Necrovex

Completed I Am Malala. Amazing book. Made me really appreciate the education I was able to receive, and the privilege I have living in a country where I don't have to worry about getting shot down. After reading this, I do believe she really earned that Nobel Peace prize.

Now I must figure out what to read next. I'm still not in the mood to complete 1Q84, maybe I'll finally read a 'People's History of the United States.'

Piecake

Completed I Am Malala. Amazing book. Made me really appreciate the education I was able to receive, and the privilege I have living in a country where I don't have to worry about getting shot down. After reading this, I do believe she really earned that Nobel Peace prize.

Now I must figure out what to read next. I'm still not in the mood to complete 1Q84, maybe I'll finally read a 'People's History of the United States.'

You should read The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander

Jintor

If anyone has any ideas for oral histories about cities in the Vein of Craig Taylor's Londoners I would be very interested. I think Stud's Turkel's "Chicago" might not quite be what I'm looking for (though I might read it anyway since I'm probably going to end up reading all of Studs eventually)

thomaser

Finished Inside the Mind of the Shopper - The Science of Retailing by Herb Sorensen. Many fascinating insights that give me many ideas for my store. It's quite short, though, and only scratches the surface.

roadside.jpg

Now, starting Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky. A very influential sci-fi novel written in 1971 Soviet.

Epcott

Finishing up on The Shadow Rising.

I think I'm burned out on The Wheel of Time at the moment, and the series makes me truly appreciate ASOIAF that much more. Villains and heroes never seem to die in WOT, they're much like chess pieces shifting from one space to another on different boards that represent the books (while new characters are constantly added). While in ASOIAF, no one is safe from being axed.

I'll be reading Ancillary Sword next. Looking forward to it, Justice was pretty good.

Nuke Soda

Reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami.

For the next book I read I am thinking of doing a Memento style read where you start at the last chapter and work backwards to the first. Sounds interesting, but what book is the question. Dilemmas lol.

Setre

Decided to drop Dancing with a Dead Horse, made it a couple of chapters in and it never grabbed me. Went to Barnes & Noble today to pick up Leviathan's Wake and while they had it the book itself looked used. I asked if they had another one in the back but they didn't. Didn't want to leave empty handed so I picked this up:

Reading

18045891.jpg

I liked the movie Gone Girl so I figured I'd pick up one of Gillian Flynn's books. Only read a chapter but I'm liking it so far.

Finished Doctor Sleep a few days ago and have now started this:
11084145.jpg

I've had this on my list for a while and was somewhat discouraged by its larger length (over 500 pages and I sometimes am hesitant to start the book). I started yesterday and am already through 40% of it. Great read so far.

I hope eventually there are other biographies of other technology greats with the same quality as this Steve Jobs biography for people such as Bill Gates, Larry Ellison, John Carmack, Linus Torvalds, one of Google's co-founders, etc.

Bazza

Been a proper recluse the last few weeks and have got through quite a few books, had to order the actual physical book for the 5th Black Suns Daughter series, quite short books but they were fun.

Moved onto the Expanse series by James S.A. Corey, finished all the main series of books, kind of wish I had looked properly and seen there are a few short stories in the series in the as well so I wouldn't have to read them out of sequence at some point.
I liked how the story evolved through the books initially giving you the impression the story would be constrained to the solar system only to quickly expanding to a include the hole universe.
Interesting to read this was picked up for a TV show, While I'm not the biggest fan books to TV but GOT surprised me so I will give it a chance shame its Syfy and not someone like HBO pulling the strings.

Now I'm about half way into the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Great so far, was feeling a little down last night realizing I only have about an evenings left worth of reading only to be all cheered up finding out there are another 10 books set in the same world
and 3 with Fitz as the main character.

Angst

I'm almost finished with Last Arguments of Kings and boy has it been good! Looking forward to the stand alone books later in the winter.

Next in line is:
vagentill_inb_low.jpg

I have seen the Arn movies, but for some reason I haven't read the books, but this will soon be amended :)

Edit: english cover:
41QayT6u6kL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Corum

Finished Atlas Shrugged
*sigh*...
now onto Half a King (Joe Abercrombie). I sense that the latter book might be an easier read than the former.

For the next book I read I am thinking of doing a Memento style read where you start at the last chapter and work backwards to the first. Sounds interesting, but what book is the question. Dilemmas lol.

Try this with Iain M. Banks' Use of Weapons where half the chapters move forward chronologically and the other in reverse chronology. :)

Mumei

Finished:

8075404.jpg
3117241.jpg

Strongly recommend Vendler's Dickinson: Selected Poems and Commentaries. Japanese Visual Culture had some interesting essays, and some less interesting essays. I wish there were more about the development of genres, personally.

Currently Reading:

1725178.jpg
18077752.jpg

The Black Family in Freedom and Slavery is really, really good. It's old (1970s), but still relevant.

Herr K

Banned
Done with this one

61S4qiYiwTL.jpg

I loved some bits, but overall it wasn't what I expected. I went in completely blindfolded and when I realized, I was in the middle of a fantasy. First Murakami book I read, and it may very well be the last. It's not my kind of thing.

Now I started this one

513KEYhqPZL.jpg

And while the story seems really engaging, I'm not feeling the writing style. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah, still tying to figure out wth that is supposed to be about. Too bad it isn't like the listening thread where you have to put the information in words, not just pictures.

The guy sort of looks like Marcel Proust, I guess? Early 20th century air guitar with a tennis racket?

EDIT: It IS Proust, and the photo, after a quick Google search, is commonly referred to as 'Proust playing air guitar'.

Nakho

The guy sort of looks like Marcel Proust, I guess? Early 20th century air guitar with a tennis racket?

EDIT: It IS Proust, and the photo, after a quick Google search, is commonly referred to as 'Proust playing air guitar'.

Posting a picture like this is quite annoying. But it really is an interesting picture. In his books he always struck me as an odd fellow, and it's crazy how much that pic confirms my suspicions :p

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
it's a hilarious picture of Marcel Proust playing air guitar!

ShaneB

God dammit Red Winter is terrifying. Another moment where I felt myself shaking while reading an intense chapter.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Tried reading Michael Fabers 'Under the Skin' and didn't care much for the first couple pages, so I gave up. This Kindle unlimited has been kind of cool, but I dont see myself holding on to the subscription for more than a month or two.
I love that it has three Vonmegut novels I haven't read yet tho, Galapagos, Bluebeard and what I'm reading today 'God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater'. Enjoying it so far. VONNEGUT THE GUT

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Something to do with death, Sergio Leone biography by Christopher Frayling. Really like it, and quite balanced, showing his flaws and his qualities. Really recommended if you like Leone.

I'm looking fir similar books, so I'm thinking of buying Kurosawa's self-written bio.

Piecake

About half way through this book and while a bit of it is a rehash of his Battle Cry of Freedom, it is definitely more focused on analysis and there are a few chapters that deal with subjects that he did not deal with in his main work.

I found the chapter on the confederate legacy in schools and society in the south after the civil war absolutely fascinating. What I found interesting is that they went to war to uphold their rights and honor as slaveowners, but once slavery was effectively discredited after the civil war the South felt that the North was impinging Southern honor by stating that the Confederacy split from the Union because of slavery.

What's funny (and sad) is that if you look at reviews of civil war history books on amazon you will see a bunch of 1 star reviews lambasting the book for being Northern propaganda and a bunch of lies, pretty much exactly what the chapter above described - an attempt to turn the confederacy to an honorable and glorious lost cause that was fought for rights and liberty, not slavery. So it is still going on today!

Zona

YQFfctJ.jpg

Not probably one of the best science fiction books I've read.
But the best science fiction book I've read.

It's 10% science fiction and 90% socio cultural discussions and demography.
What kind of culture do you bring with you if you get a chance to start a new civilization? Is religion needed? How would you control the population? Would you listen to the Earths governments or break out from their rule?

Every social science teacher needs to read this. As well as people with an inch of interest in science fiction or demography in general.

10 out of 10.
Flawless.

Out of curiosity have you read Ursula K. Le Guin ? I feel like The Dispossessed or The Left Hand of Darkness would be right up your alley.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Annihilation_by_jeff_vandermeer.jpg

I finished Annihilation last week, and enjoyed it a lot. It works decently as a Lost-style mystery, but the lack of definable answers (which are presumably explored in further depth through the end of the trilogy), left me feeling a little dissatisfied with the book. However, after some thought, I realized that it's not a mystery at its heart, but an autobiographical examination of a failing marriage, and Area X is just a frame for examining that relationship. It works wonderfully from that angle.

the-widows-house-by-daniel-abraham.jpg

I'm now working on The Widow's House by Daniel Abraham. My wife and I welcomed our first baby a couple of weeks ago, so reading time has been few-and-far-between these days, so I might be on this one for a while. :)

Top Bottom