• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (September 2010)

eznark

Banned
tyguy20204 said:
Hey what's up eznark. Too bad about the Crew. Anyway, I just read Freedom because I really enjoyed The Corrections, and also because it's been getting raves.

I thought it was pretty poor.

Here's the review I wrote up on Amazon.

Franzen is a talented writer, and by giving this novel three stars I am by no means making an attack upon him. In fact, it is my opinion that The Corrections is a sublime piece of literature. Franzen wrote that novel with a perfect combination of humor and pathos, straddling the line between farce and melodrama while only occasionally going astray.

Chip was a character for the ages. Funny, flawed, and deeply interesting. Who can forget the scene in which Chip shoplifts $78.40 worth of Wild Norwegian Salmon? Chip screws up again and again throughout the novel, but he screws up in ways that the reader can understand. He is a believable and consistent character, rather than being a slave to the novel's narrative/thematic arc.

There are no characters in Freedom that come close to matching Chip's quality. I'm sitting here a mere four hours after finishing the novel, and I can't recall any scenes that particularly stand out to me. Make no mistake, when I complain about the characters in Freedom, I do not complain about them being unlikable - although they are indeed unlikable - rather, I complain about them being uninteresting.

Patty hates her family growing up. She is good at basketball, is therefore a good competitor, therefore enjoys to win. She is raped at a party in high school. She has an attraction to the musician Richard. She marries Walter instead. She loves Walter but she doesn't.

This is all that we ever learn about Patty, and it's simply not enough. Not enough to make her into a fleshed out character, let alone to make her into a character deserving of empathy. And all the other characters are just the same way. There is no consistency to them, no meat.

The problem is that the characters function only to serve the theme. And lord, what a clunky theme it is. There is such a thing as subtly exploring an idea and then there is the other thing - using a sledgehammer. Franzen has his sledgehammer out for this novel, and he's going crazy with it. The first half of the novel is not so bad in this regard, but at some point around the halfway mark, the word freedom shows up. From that point on, freedom is mentioned almost twice or thrice a page, often times in the form of a rather simple, child-like rumination by one of the characters. Franzen's use of the thematic sledgehammer really slogs down this portion of the book. As does his penchant for inserting similarly unsubtle - and unoriginal - political rants.

Do I really care what Franzen thinks about freedom or politics? I have yet to see a particularly nuanced argument coming from him on these subjects. What I have seen - in The Corrections - is his immense ability to tell a story.

And that's what it comes down to here. He hasn't told his story well. The characters are boring. There's very little humor. There's not much suspense. It's all themes, themes, themes. Blah, blah blah.

Oh man I am going to HATE this book! :lol

Just finished Lowboy. I was convinced there was going to be some big reveal about Violet, but it was just the most obvious "twist." Lame. Overall the book just kind of wrapped up. It's the kind of novel I wish the author had made a short story.

Quake1028

Just Finished
41ACd8VqjBL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-3,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now Reading
51vtGLBT6vL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-16,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

9780450011849.jpg

Much bigger than I was expecting it to be, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Just wish it had a glossary at the front or something, all these fictional terms can get a bit confusing.

angelkimne said:
Just wish it had a glossary at the front or something, all these fictional terms can get a bit confusing.
Yea, that book is really confusing at the beginning. At least for me, I don't read a whole lot of science fiction. But it's worth it, really good later on.

Frester

Kodiak said:
Just finished

6a00bf76cd5bbc58ce00fad6b060dd0005-500pi

Tom Robbins is fantastic and this book definitely made me a fan of him. Looking forward to read more by him.

I've read a bunch of his stuff and Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates is easily my favorite.

Currently 150 pages from finishing East of Eden!

the_long_ships.jpg

Finally got my copy. Digging it. GAF has not forsaken me.

51GWQMZRT0L.jpg

Trying to finish it up so I can concentrate fully on The Long Ships.

medium.JPG

Shitter reading material. It's actually pretty fascinating.

Salazar

Finished rereading Martin Amis' Money, reissued by Penguin in an ostensibly wonderful but actually powerfully repulsive cover. I realise that the novel is largely about vulgarity, but it is just outright fucking hideous.

The book is glorious. There was an adaptation in the works, with Nick Frost playing John Self - I don't know if that is still going, but it is such magnificent casting. Frost as a louche, chain-smoking, leering, fast-food-chomping wreck will be good.

ultron87

angelkimne said:
9780450011849.jpg

Much bigger than I was expecting it to be, but I'm enjoying it so far.

:lol at that cover. Great book obviously.

I just finished Anathem by Neil Stephenson. I just don't know what to read next, even though I have a big backlog.

soultron

Banned
347-1.jpg

Have the rest of the series to finish before school starts. (8+9 tpbs sittin' on my desk.) I don't want it to end. :c

Finished
story.jpg

Decent, not terribly engaging. It was the model for 1984 and I can't help but feel that Orwell nailed the concept a lot better than Zamyatin. Some interesting commentary on the Russian Revolution I guess, but it very often feels heavy handed and simply uninteresting.

Started
6a011015e329cd860b0110162887a0860c-500pi

Enjoying it immensely, so much more than We. The prose is just a joy to read, and I'm really looking forward to finishing it up

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After finishing all of Joe Abercrombie's current books, I decided to move on to this:

The Lies of Locke Lamora.

Locke%20Lamora.jpg

I'm about 80 pages in and liking it quite a bit. I'll probably move on to its sequel, and then read Name of the Wind. Hopefully by then we'll have some news of A Dance With Dragons :)lol ).

eznark

Banned
Reading the first 20 pages of about a dozen books trying to figure out what I want to dive into. In the meantime

FOA10-155.jpg

Leaning heavily to
51V0h0U3MUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
or
60464625.JPG

el jacko said:
Oh my god I love this book! I didn't think anyone else read it. He's got a great sense of humor, don't you think?

If you like history books, I would highly recommend his books on Poland, God's Playground. Really detailed, and a seriously interesting read.
Thanks for the rec! I have another huge history book (actually two) to read before I would get around to reading that, though.

I really enjoyed it. I never really gave a thought to the sense of humor, but I did enjoy his prose quite a bit. I actually made a short blog post on it, but I ended up not really talking about the book too much, and just quoting one of my favorite passages instead. :lol

Once someone commented I wrote a bit, though. I liked the boxes with those short asides scattered throughout the book.

But yeah, this passage is so great:
Norman Davies said:
The collapse of the Soviet Empire is certainly ‘the greatest, and perhaps the most awful event’ of recent times. The speed of its collapse has exceeded all the other great landslides of European history — the dismemberment of the Spanish dominions, the partitions of Poland, the retreat of the Ottomans, the disintegration of Austria-Hungary. Yet it is hardly an event which calls for the historian to sit on the ruins of the Kremlin, like Gibbon in the Colosseum, or to write a requiem. For the Soviet Union was not a civilization that was once great. It was uniquely mean and mendacious even in its brief hour of triumph. It brought death and misery to more human beings than any other on record. It brought no good life either to its dominant Russian nationality or even to its ruling elite. It was massively destructive, not least of Russian culture. As many thoughtful Russians now admit, it was folly that should never have built in the first place. The sovereign nations of the ex-Soviet Union are picking up the pieces where they left off in 1918-22, when their initial flicker of independence was snuffed out by Lenin’s Red Army. Almost everyone agrees: ‘Russia, yes. But what sort of Russia?’

The most obvious factor the Soviet collapse is that it happened through natural causes. The Soviet Union was not, like ancient Rome, invaded by barbarians or, like the Polish Commonwealth, partitioned by rapacious neighbors, or, like the Habsburg Empire, overwhelmed by the strains of a great war. It was not, like the Nazi Reich, defeated in a fight to the death. It died because it had to, because the grotesque organs of its internal structure were incapable of providing the essentials of life. In a nuclear age, it could not, like its tsarist predecessor, solve its internal problems by expansion. Nor could it suck more benefit from the nations whom it had captured. It could not tolerate the partnership with China which once promised a global future for communism; it could not stand the oxygen of reform; so it imploded. It was struck down by the political equivalent of a coronary, more massive than anything that history affords.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Still chugging through A Game of Thrones. Still loving it, shit is getting craaazy.

Jenga

Banned
Still on Melmoth The Wanderer

Goddamn, it's a good book but...the pacing of this is so goddamn slow it's not even funny. And as much as I LIKE the book, not the good sort of slow where you can just savor and take in the world and the characters...I still have Musashi lined up and it's begging to be read. I may have to put Melmoth on the backburner :/

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
otake said:
It's terrible. It's Dab Browns worst. The previous one was a lot better.

I haven't read anything in two months. I am looking for something new. Recommendations welcome.

it wasn't great, but it was far better than Digital Fortress

Leunam

Reading-GAF I need a recommendation.

I'm in the middle of American Gods but I'm looking for another book to read once I'm done with that. I've been playing the hell out of Mount & Blade and am looking for a book set in a similar setting (medieval). As much as I love history I'm not really looking for something historically accurate, but I also don't want a heavy fantasy setting. Does anyone have any favorites they would like to recommend?

Dresden

Leunam said:
Reading-GAF I need a recommendation.

I'm in the middle of American Gods but I'm looking for another book to read once I'm done with that. I've been playing the hell out of Mount & Blade and am looking for a book set in a similar setting (medieval). As much as I love history I'm not really looking for something historically accurate, but I also don't want a heavy fantasy setting. Does anyone have any favorites they would like to recommend?
in before flood of George Martin recommendations.

If you like badass books with badass characters doing badass things in badass times, look up Steven Pressfield. His books are sometimes hit-or-miss, but Tides of War and Gate of Fire are great.

Leunam

I'd like the character to be badass, sure, but I also don't want them to be one dimensional.

This might be a little more specific but I was also looking for something like The Hammer and The Cross where the main character rises from grunt to leader through the book. Thanks for the recommendations, though. I'll look those guys up.

Dresden

Leunam said:
I'd like the character to be badass, sure, but I also don't want them to be one dimensional.

This might be a little more specific but I was also looking for something like The Hammer and The Cross where the main character rises from grunt to leader through the book. Thanks for the recommendations, though. I'll look those guys up.
You should check out Tides of War, then. Essentially about Alcibiades and the narrator. Great growth throughout the entirety of the novel, and it's an excellent mix of tragedy and action. Lovely, lovely novel.

Leunam

Dresden said:
You should check out Tides of War, then. Essentially about Alcibiades and the narrator. Great growth throughout the entirety of the novel, and it's an excellent mix of tragedy and action. Lovely, lovely novel.

I'll pick it up tonight. Thanks again.

Just Finished:

mockingjay.jpg

What a absolutely terrible way to end this series. The other 2 books were some entertaining fluff but this was just horrendous writing.

Just Started:

51CKyadXNfL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Dresden

Leunam said:
I'll pick it up tonight. Thanks again.
Sweet.

EDIT: I saw your edit. :I
Bah! I just don't want you to waste your money if you don't end up liking them. I always feel bad when that happens. Gates is usually cheaper since paperbacks are more readily available.

Leunam

I was looking for a more medieval European setting, but those two books have piqued my interest for sure.

eznark

Banned
Dresden said:
in before flood of George Martin recommendations.

If you like badass books with badass characters doing badass things in badass times, look up Steven Pressfield. His books are sometimes hit-or-miss, but Tides of War and Gate of Fire are great.

Ya know, I picked those up and have yet to read them. Heard great things though.

Anyone picking up the new Gibson book, Zero History? I think it releases today.

thomaser

41dj7RD8yWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Still on Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Started it way back in early June, I think. I kinda stopped for a while when Dragon Quest IX came and sucked my time away... But I'm back into it now, and have read around two thirds. It's stunningly good. Sometimes it feels like I'm reading the best novel ever. I finished a chapter yesterday that left me with goosebumps, shaking, wide-eyed
(the fight)
. Might have to slow down the reading, though, since I've just started studying again. 300 pages to go, wish they were 900.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Leunam said:
I was looking for a more medieval European setting, but those two books have piqued my interest for sure.

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Cyan said:
Reading that one right now. About halfway through. Pretty good, but I don't think it needs to be this long...

I did enjoy the book, in spite of its length. I do agree with you that a lot of it could be cut out, especially with the interludes. I think he tried to put in too many different points of view...

thomaser said:
41dj7RD8yWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Still on Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Started it way back in early June, I think. I kinda stopped for a while when Dragon Quest IX came and sucked my time away... But I'm back into it now, and have read around two thirds. It's stunningly good. Sometimes it feels like I'm reading the best novel ever. I finished a chapter yesterday that left me with goosebumps, shaking, wide-eyed
(the fight)
. Might have to slow down the reading, though, since I've just started studying again. 300 pages to go, wish they were 900.

Huh, I felt like that for the whole thing. :D

Mifune

Mehmber
thomaser said:

(the fight)

I love this book so much.

I picked up The Broom of the System but haven't read it yet. Eventually I'll read every single thing DFW ever wrote.

sparky2112 said:
This was King's supposedly first 'literary' novel. Maybe...I don't know. I do know, though, that it was largely crap...
Well it is my intention to eventually read every Stephen King novel published. I have only recently started Bag of Bones, but it is quite good and I'm enjoying it. Although I wouldn't consider Bag of Bones to be King's best book, it's definitely worth a read if you fancy something different.

I need to read Infinite Jest sometime soon. Well, all of DFW's stuff -- like Mifune said. I've only read A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, but it was so much better than just about everything I've ever read, non-fiction or fiction. He made a state fair incredibly interesting and fun to read about. He turned a cruise into a rumination on loneliness and desperation. And he wrote the greatest piece of sportswriting I've ever read.

So uh yeah, I need to read some of his other stuff. There's just SO MUCH I want to read, but I end up playing Starcraft II or watching TV shows or wasting time on the internets instead. :(

BruceLeeRoy said:
Its about Advertising Men in the 60's?
Ill have to check it out I love Mad Men.

Close. Newspaper men (and women) in the 2000s. But it's got the dashed dreams, disappointment, sex, and booze, so you're good. :D

Mifune said:
I picked up The Broom of the System but haven't read it yet. Eventually I'll read every single thing DFW ever wrote.

Broom is like watching a pitcher warm up pre-game before he goes out and pitches a perfect game. If I'm not mistaken, it was his undergrad thesis at Amherst.

tyguy20204 said:
Infinite Jest is pretty amazing, but it's definitely uneven. I don't know how someone could argue otherwise.

It's a giant sloppy mess at first glance, for sure, but there's more and more academic analysis coming out (especially since Wallace's passing) that shows a method to his madness.

Still, even if you ignore all that, calling the book 'uneven' does not really detract from it being a towering achievement. The fact that it was ignored by all the major literary awards that year still has a fair share of critics scratching their heads, and rightfully so. In that regard, if the book suffers from anything, it's from being a little too 'hip' for it's own good and to being taken as seriously as it deserved to be.

Salazar

sparky2112 said:
The fact that it was ignored by all the major literary awards that year still has a fair share of critics scratching their heads, and rightfully so.

A critic who bothers themselves about yearly awards is likely frivolous. I don't know who you could be referring to.

Top Bottom