• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your Favorite New TV shows, 2011-2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoy:
Game of Thrones
Homeland
Hart of Dixie

One of these things is not like the others. I've recently discovered that I like girly shows for vaginas (e.g. The OC, Gossip Girl) and having developed a small crush on Rachel Bilson I decided to give HoD a shot. Wasn't expecting much from it, just hoped for something at least watchable and after watching the pilot it seemed like it wasn't even that. Came back to it a couple of weeks later and I don't know if it was just that the pilot was just that awful or if I'd just put my cynicism aside and learned to enjoy it for what it was or whatever, but episode by episode it kinda grew on me.

OK, but not sold on:
Awake
Touch
Shameless

The pilots for Awake and Touch were pretty entertaining, but they've only had maybe a couple of other good episodes since, though I get the impression that despite the slow start they're about to finally take off. Only have seen half of the first season of Shameless - I'll throw on an episode every now and then and enjoy it, but it hasn't really clicked.

Didn't care for:
Alcatraz
Person of Interest
Once Upon A Time
American Horror Story

Alcatraz took way too long to get going. A little too much procedural stuff that wasn't particularly interesting to watch.

Action sequences in Person of Interest were kinda fun, but that's about all I got out of it, and I didn't care for John's character. Granted I'd stopped watching like 5 episodes in.

Only watched the pilot for OUAT, but it was a bit too cheesy for my liking, which I'd kind of expected but figured I'd try it anyway. AHS tries too hard to be strange.

Skipped out on:
Luck

Watched the first episode when HBO did the series preview for it and while entertaining enough to watch and a visually beautiful show, admittedly most of it totally went over my head. After several episodes had aired and it was getting quite a few positive reviews I figured I'd jump in later in the season until it was announced that it was cancelled.

Looking to give Veep a shot next, then I'm not sure what else.

Epcott

Game of Thrones (which is now season 2, so not technically new)
Don't Trust the B___ in Apartment 23, James Van Der Beek's self parody is pretty funny, similar to Neil Patrick Harris from the Harold & Kumar films.
Touch, sometimes I roll my eyes at the coincidences, but I understand that's what the show is about, so I guess it gets a pass.
Legend of Korra, worth the wait.
Grimm (Not sure why, but I get this Dylan Dog vibe from it)

I tried:
Alcatraz: but it eventually bored me with its blandness.
Revenge: which descended into another Desperate Housewives-like typical ABC dramathon, complete with tropes like
amnesia and half sisters
Awake: became boring, which is sad since it had an interesting premise.
Once Upon A Time: Suffers from ABC Dramaitis, which killed Private Practice, Ugly Betty, Revenge, and so on. It's like, they can't have a decent show without a forced love triangle.
Up All Night: Will Arnett should guarantee the funny, right? Christina Applegate, smoking hot and funny too, right? Wrong. Not. Funny. They try so hard, but it's so dry.

Enjoy:
Didn't care for:
Alcatraz
Person of Interest
Once Upon A Time
American Horror Story

What's wrong with American Horror Story? I was going to look for it on Hulu (but I confused it with American Gothic).

Magnus

Must-watch winners of 2011 for me:

Game of Thrones - The television event of every year it'll be on.
New Girl - Surpassed both Happy Endings and Community for me; just stellar.
Smash - It's nothing extraordinary; but I dig the music and it fills the niche of grown-up Glee for me.

Shows I've checked out and dug for one reason or another, and sort of watch, may continue watching, or will see all of once they're done:

Girls 6.2
Awake 8.3
Enlightened

Shows that nabbed my interest that I should check out:

Homeland 8.6
Shameless 8.6
American Horror Story 8.3
Revenge 8.2
The Killing 7.9
The Playboy Club 6.0
Veep 4.9

I'd have listed Happy Endings way up top, but it debuted in 2010 if I'm not mistaken. ;)

What's wrong with American Horror Story? I was going to look for it on Hulu (but I confused it with American Gothic).
Only watched maybe 3 episodes but it just kind of felt like all it was trying to do was shout "ISN'T THIS CRAZY?" which wasn't enough to hold my interest.

Honestly it probably has more to do with the fact that I'm not really a fan of the genre and only bothered with it because a friend of mine was hooked on it. I think there's an OT for the show where you'd get a better idea of what you're in for from people with a better appreciation for the genre.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Game of Thrones and Awake are the only two shows that have really resonated with me this year.

Seanspeed

Banned
Game of Thrones, obviously. Ridiculously good adaptation of the even more ridiculously good books.

The Killing was suprisingly gripping. Its not really great, but I'm hooked. Holder is one of my favorite TV characters out there.

Suburgatory is pretty hilarious. It can be hit-and-miss, but its got a bit of that Mean Girls wit/charm to it. And I really like all the characters.

Happy Endings has a cast of characters so outlandish I almost want to say its a fault of the show, but its pretty funny.

Awkward is a show for teenage/young adult girls that happened to just be on the TV one day and I watched it and thought it was pretty funny. I felt stupid watching it at times cuz it gets very obvious who the target audience is once in a while, but like Suburgatory, has some Mean Girls-like charm.

Up All Night is a decent comedy and a not-embarrassing edition to the Thursday night NBC mega line-up. I dont see it ever being as good as Parks/Community/The Office/30 Rock, though. Not even close.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Just by going with the OP's list

Game of Thrones 9.4
Homeland 8.6
Person of Interest 8.2

I really liked GoT and Homeland, but I have to say, the show that continuously "gets me" is Person of Interest. Maybe I just like a show where the main character has a burning passion for shooting kneecaps.

igQmODklE0BMO.gif
tumblr_lumlhzAGst1qjjtpoo1_250.gif
tumblr_lumlhzAGst1qjjtpoo2_250.gif
tumblr_lumlhzAGst1qjjtpoo6_250.gif

tumblr_lumlhzAGst1qjjtpoo3_250.gif
tumblr_lyfp9fI3Rv1qiukbq.gif

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I liked Homeland.

For more than just naked Morena Baccaran.

Though that really helped.

Person of Interest is good, too. I like CIA Jesus exploding kneecaps. Michael Emerson's character is good, too. I wish Taraji Henson's character was more consistent, because I think the actress has talent (and she's freaky). My favorite character, though, is probably Fusco.

In roughly the order I like them (best to worst): Shameless, Homeland, Enlightened, Luck, The Borgias, Game of Thrones, Touch, American Horror Story, and Awake.

Fjordson

Game of Thrones most definitely. Followed by Luck (wish it wasn't over).

Homeland is pretty good as well, but I'm not crazy about it.

New shows in order of my enjoyment:

Homeland, Luck, Game of Thrones, Enlightened, Shameless, Awake, Lights Out, The Chicago Code, The Killing.

Surprised to see only one show on there that I didn't enjoy. I also watched American Horror Story, but I don't know where I'd put it since my enjoyment level and actual opinion of the show are polar opposites of each other.

scosher

Game of Thrones and Homeland are obvious top 2 choices for dramas.

But shows that I was surprised I liked and turned into guilty pleasures:

Suits
Alphas

^ can't wait for these to return.

The Killing should really be the worst rated show. I don't care that I haven't seen the bottom half of that list to really compare it to. The Killing should still be at the bottom. The biggest piece of crap to air last season.

Oh actually nm. I totally forgot about Starz' Camelot.

VanWinkle

Up All Night for sure. Has a lot of heart and fantastic chemistry between characters. I don't think it's meant to be a laugh out loud constantly show like Office/30 Rock/Community/Parks and Rec, but the formula works. I'm hoping to see a second season.

I'm not sure about New Girl, which I can't decide whether I like or hate, or Awake, which I kind of stopped watching after the end of episode two.

Just by going with the OP's list

Game of Thrones 9.4
Homeland 8.6
Person of Interest 8.2

I really liked GoT and Homeland, but I have to say, the show that continuously "gets me" is Person of Interest. Maybe I just like a show where the main character has a burning passion for shooting kneecaps.

igQmODklE0BMO.gif
tumblr_lumlhzAGst1qjjtpoo1_250.gif
tumblr_lumlhzAGst1qjjtpoo2_250.gif
tumblr_lumlhzAGst1qjjtpoo6_250.gif

tumblr_lumlhzAGst1qjjtpoo3_250.gif
tumblr_lyfp9fI3Rv1qiukbq.gif

You can tell what kind of day Reese is having by how many people he shoots in the knees.

Action sequences in Person of Interest were kinda fun, but that's about all I got out of it, and I didn't care for John's character. Granted I'd stopped watching like 5 episodes in.

Damn it, sir! You should have kept with it, this show is fucking amazing.

I just finished a marathon session of House of Lies. I really like it, mostly because of the morally ambiguous characters. I work in a similar environment/different industry so a lot of the underhandedness rings true. I think for the first season they focused on Don Cheadle's character (star power) to push the show. I'd like to see more from some of the supporting characters in the group. What I don't like is how they
knocked out two of the three major villains in the first season.

This is my list.
I don't even like Game of Thrones, but I respect the quality of the show. I've only seen two episodes this second season, and I don't feel obligated to watch any more.

Game of Thrones 9.4

The rest of these are all shows that I enjoy watching for one reason or another, but if I were to rank them.
Awake 8.3
Once Upon a Time 8.3
Person of Interest 8.2
Strike Back: Project Dawn 8.0
Alphas 7.2
Falling Skies 6.9

1. Strike Back is my favorite TV show. It's like 24 meets Spartacus. :)
2. Once Upon a Time. God..has there ever been a show where the men are bigger pussies? Still, I love the show.
3. Alphas...I just wish they had a bigger budget for this show. Everything seems small scale. It's like a poor man's Xmen.
4. Falling Skies...WHAT THE FUCK?!?!? Seriously, after the first season I was one of the most vocal in my disdain for the quality of EVERYTHING associated with this show. Poorly cast, low quality CG, slow pacing, bad camera work, bad scripts.... But I haven't missed an episode this second season and it's one of the few shows I look forward to watching every week. It's not a "good" show, but I find it much more "entertaining" to watch than a well made show like Game of Thrones.

When 24 and MI5 aired their last episodes I was worried I wouldn't find enjoyable replacements to watch.

The four shows above are filling in nicely.

Honorary mention goes to Person of Interest. If that show had a more prominent antagonist it'd be in my top 4...probably edging out all but Strike Back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom