• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do guys get out of a same-sex relationship that's better than a straight one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbcamp

Banned
Journeywalker said:
The thing is, most of the gay guys that I know that are "straight acting" (hate to use that, but it's the best-understood term out there) are very conservative about who they hit on. I have a general rule that I won't approach a guy unless he's given me looks at least five times, and even then, I won't flirt unless he starts first. I've probably lost out on meeting some really nice heteroflexible guys that way, but I really have to be careful. If I hit on the wrong (read: insecure about sexuality) guy when he's had just a bit too much to drink, I might end up somewhere painful. This, of course, assumes that I'm not in a situation where the sexual orientation is implied (gay club).

So I’m guessing this is why some gays are so gay; in order to differentiate themselves from the heterosexuals and attracts other gays.

You see this I could understand, though I still have a problem with them hitting on me. Probably has something to do with the way I dress, I dress up like a “nice boy” as one gay guy put it while trying to appolagize after hitting on me.

fbcamp

Banned
Freestyler said:
Oh ok, my bad. Sorry bout the confusion :)

I'm 18 too, and I guess I might think differently in a couple of years. I'm not against casual hookups or sex if it's with a friend (as I've been doing for some time now, totally secretive however as he's not out), but people that go and fuck random others in parks etc. are the ones who kind of give us more low-key gays a bad rep.

I'm not one of the ones who'll complain if someone says something anti-gay. I mean some of my good friends occasionally say 'that's so gay' or something and then look at me with an 'oops, sorry' look on their face and I'm just like 'don't worry about it'. It doesn't offend me in the slightest since the word isn't being used with homosexual connotations.

I also try to fit in as much as I can in any given situation - a couple of my friends' ex boyfriends really liked me and hated their girlfriends' other straight friends. So we're not all camp little girls who run around talking about how gay we are (only on message boards :D), arms flailing and all.

You can get really girly/feminine straight guys, really masculine/butch gay guys and even dainty little lesbian women.

Your ok in my book.

Suerte

fbcamp said:
You see this I could understand, though I still have a problem with them hitting on me. Probably has something to do with the way I dress, I dress up like a “nice boy” as one gay guy put it while trying to appolagize after hitting on me.

Eh, could it just be as simple as, he thought you were hot, so he hit on you. It's not uncommon, you don't have to "look gay" to be hit on ya know.

I'd never hit on a guy unless we were either at a place that applied orientation (gay club for example) or my gaydar was off the richter.

And if guys are gonna be dressing like either metrosexuals or heteroflexibles (god I love this word now, thanks Journeywalker!), they shouldn't be too shocked to be hit on by a gay guy.

aoi tsuki

You see this I could understand, though I still have a problem with them hitting on me.
Why not take it as a compliment? People are attracted to what they're attracted to. i don't see the big deal in it.

And if guys are gonna be dressing like either metrosexuals or heteroflexibles (god I love this word now, thanks Journeywalker!), they shouldn't be too shocked to be hit on by a gay guy.
Is "heteroflexible" an actual word? What about gaycurious? This thread should really be renamed to "Ask the gay man".

etiolate

Banned
That's like saying most str8 guys are knuckle dragging, wife slugging, beer bellied slobs.

Most are or aspire to be in some form that alpha male. It's how the system works. If you venture outside that system it's very lonely. That is why most people stick to it and why there are stereotypes which are true.

Suerte

Freestyler said:
I'd never hit on a guy unless we were either at a place that applied orientation (gay club for example) or my gaydar was off the richter.

Same here, trouble is, most gay clubs are crappy.

Faggot
Webster would say it is a bundle a sticks. Why
is a bundle of sticks equated with a gay man?

In the inquisition of Europe, when witches were
being burned, among those sought out for
burning were gay people. They were required to
gather the very "bundles of sticks" (the real
meaning of a faggot) with which they would be
burnt. When the faggots (sticks) were running
out, gay men were thrown on the fire to keep it
going for the witches. Faggot came to mean gay
man to force them into the closet for fear of
death. Scary, huh? Think about what you are
saying -- who you are offending when say this
word, even if in jest to a friend.

A loser is you. This is indeed the origin of the word being related to gays.

Well, I guess my source sucks. But I have heard this story before.

"There you go. Obviously, whatever its origin, the word has come to have very negative associations. If you choose to get offended by it, that's your right. However, don't labor under the misapprehension that it has to do with multitudes of gay men being burned at the stake. That's a bunch of malarky."

This is a bunch of crap. Calling someone a racial slur might not have a terrible origin either, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to be offended. So what exactly are you trying to say in this little passage?

"If you choose to get offended by it, that's your right."

That's the part I have the trouble with. When someone calls you a name, they are trying to offend you. That's where I misunderstood you.

I understand why it would annoy you for people to find things to be offensive that aren't. Oversensitive people are stupid. I think calling something "gay" seems like a small thing, but it is actually an example of how acceptable homophobia is. If something is stupid, it's gay. I don't get offended by that myself, but I can see how some might. And yes, I see the retarded comparison (a lot of people, myself included, do that too).

In short, political correctness sucks, but I am sympathetic to those who are offended because I see how accepted it is for us to talk certain ways. A lot of it is unintentional.

White Man

It's not that I get so much more out of a same-sex relationship, it's that I have no interest in having a straight relationship, at all. It's the way I am.

Really, with a question like this it might be best to reverse it. What do guys get out of a relationship with a girl that they wouldn't out of a relationship with a guy? They get to be with a girl, which is what they're attracted to.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>One thing they have going is they don't have to deal with girls. I mean, damn, can you imagine how much easier life would be.<<<

That and the impossibility of divorce and child support almost make me wish I were gay.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gay people don't choose gay relationships for any different reasons than you choose straight relationships. You're heterosexual, hence you're attracted to the opposite sex and try and hook up with one of them. Homosexuals are similarly attracted to the same sex. It's not likely they're choosing one over the other for social or other reasons. It's like not being able to understand why girls are attracted to guys when you're not attracted to guys yourself - once you understand that there is variation in sexual attraction within sexes as well as between them (i.e. guys, like girls, can be attracted to guys), the rest should be easy for you to comprehend.

sad.gif

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Really, with a question like this it might be best to reverse it. What do guys get out of a relationship with a girl that they wouldn't out of a relationship with a guy? They get to be with a girl, which is what they're attracted to.
Yeah...but, not to take the "it's what nature intended" route, but men are different from women, and it's a lot easier to get something you can get no where else out of someone who's innately different from you than from someone who's after the exact same thing for same general reasons.

Then again, maybe 'normal' gay guys go after the more effeminite ones, and vice versa, so it all works out. I dunno.....I'm not a gay! I swear.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
demon said:
Yeah...but, not to take the "it's what nature intended" route, but men are different from women, and it's a lot easier to get something you can get no where else out of someone who's innately different from you than from someone who's after the exact same thing for same general reasons.

Then again, maybe 'normal' gay guys go after the more effeminite ones, and vice versa, so it all works out. I dunno.....I'm not a gay! I swear.

There are more differences between people then gender..

I'm not effiminate, and I'm not generally attracted to people who are. However I do tend to go for a certain type that you might say is the complete opposite to me in terms of personality. Opposites do attract for me..just not in terms of gender, or gender identity.

Mason

snaildog said:
It's not unreasonable for someone to think that most gays are like that. You see the way they're portrayed in TV comedies and everything, and then you meet one or two in real life who also act that way (because they're the ones that stick out).

This is maybe a bit off-topic, but an awful lot of the straighter-acting gay guys just stay in the closet. It's a lot easier to get a wife and act 'normal' than it is to have a gay relationship, especially with all the negative bullcrap that comes along with being gay.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mason said:
This is maybe a bit off-topic, but an awful lot of the straighter-acting gay guys just stay in the closet. It's a lot easier to get a wife and act 'normal' than it is to have a gay relationship, especially with all the negative bullcrap that comes along with being gay.

I don't agree with this. I'm straighter-acting, and could easily fake a "straight" life. But I just couldn't do that. It was hard enough being closetted during my teenage years..and that was before the pressure of expectation regarding relationships/girlfriends etc. I think most gay people would have serious difficulty maintaining a heterosexual relationship.

Which isn't to say that "gay life" is a walk in the park. Far from it. But it's easier to live with yourself, and find some happiness imo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OmniGamer said:
Can we PLEASE abolish the term straight-acting.....JUST....SAY....MASCULINE.

I agree, and I'm guilty of using the..other term ;) I wonder, though, if anyone does actually try to act masculine? Heh..

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
OT.. ^ are you the same psycho_snake from the IGN boards? And if so, are you a chick in disguise again?

Gantz

Banned
OmniGamer said:
Can we PLEASE abolish the term straight-acting.....JUST....SAY....MASCULINE.

Gay guys actually have more testosterone than so called masculine straight guys. So gay guys should be the ones being called masculine.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
demon said:
OT.. ^ are you the same psycho_snake from the IGN boards? And if so, are you a chick in disguise again?
....yes, I am. I am actually a really fat and hairy jobless person who is prertending to be a chick on a message board because it makes me feel young and sexy....

The Faceless Master said:
what does semen taste like?
girls always tell me it tastes like something i ate that day, like if i had an orange it tastes acidic, etc...

Why don't you ask your BF?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
The Faceless Master said:
what does semen taste like?
girls always tell me it tastes like something i ate that day, like if i had an orange it tastes acidic, etc...
you ask your girlfriend what your semen tastes like......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom