• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of Coma by Guns N' Roses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mythical final song on Use Your Illusion I. Axl referred to this as Slash's baby. Took Axl a long time to get the lyrics down for this. Story goes, Slash gave him the music, Axl knew he needed to do something with it. He locked himself up one night for the purpose of finishing the song. He passed out (from stress I believe) and when he woke up, he just knocked out the ending rant of the song;

At times l enjoy writing, and other times just hate it because it's definitely having to go back and experience some pain and express how you really feel. Sometimes the writing ends up being cathartic in the long run, but, like, writing "Coma" on "Use Your Illusion I" was so heavy I'd start to write and I'd just pass out. I tried to write that song for a year, and couldn't. l went to write it at the studio and passed out. l woke up two hours later and sat down and wrote the whole end of the song, like, just off the top of my head. It was like, don't even know what's coming out, man, but it's coming. l think one of the best things that I've ever written was maybe the end segment of the song "Coma." It just poured out. I thanked Slash for that, because I used to curse him, going, "Man, that son of a bitch has written this thing and I've got to write to it and don't know what to write." It was so hard; it made me feel like, "l don't know how to write, I should just quit." (Axl laughs) But I finally did write it, and l ended up feeling a lot better about a lot of situations that l expressed In that song [Interview Magazine talks to Axl Rose, 1992]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CnSTSixzcg

I think it's arguably their best song. One of their deeper cuts but between the years since the band dissolved and now that they play it more on tour since Slash, Duff and Axl got together again, I think the song has gained more of a following

mlewis

Neo Member
It's awesome. I think it's the best song from the classic era- really glad they're playing it live now, and it sounds better than the few versions from back in the day.

blahness

It is one of their best if not most epic songs. I never really listened to it a lot when UYI came out, but now it is always a treat to listen to, especially when they played it on this last tour!

Dhx

It's always been one of my favorite deeper cuts. Some amazing guitar work and pacing that makes the multi-part structure work.

I hadn't read the back story on Axl's struggles with lyrics/melody but it makes sense. It's not a paint by numbers structure, and coming up with a melody that works as well as it ended up is an impressive feat.

They knocked it out of the park live in New Orleans this year. Hell, they knocked the entire set out of the park.

As for where it sits "all-time" for GnR, I'd probably have trouble putting it so far up the list. There are just too many epic songs to compete. If I had to pick a deep cut, I might lean toward Don't Damn Me. I need to think on it.

trikster40

Great song, I really liked it back when Use Your Illusion I came out. It seemed to fly under the radar back then because it's just too long for radio and so unless you bought the album, you would never hear it. They played it on their tour this year, caught them in Nashville. Was great, still holds up. I always loved how thedrums were the heartbeat during the song.

TheGrue

One of my favorites although I wish all the operating drama stuff wasn't in it. The actors were not very good.

I love how they reference "It's so Easy" from AFD

"It's so easy to be social/
It's so easy to be cool/
Yeah it's easy to be hungry/
When you ain't got **** to lose"

The whole song just has really amazing lyrics. One of my favorite lines is "sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a way to spend our time"

I am so happy Axl, Slash and Duff have done the Not in this lifetime tour. AND it has been awesome that Steven has done some drumming appearances as well. I prefer the Illusions to AFD so I have a lot of love for Matt. I've read conflicting things on Matt and Axl's relationship. I'd like for Matt to get some appearances with future GN'R concerts

I always thought it was OK but not a favorite. Went to their concert recently and they did a 30+ minute version of it. I think Axl likes this song better than his fans did as judging by the reaction of the crowd and how everybody went to the bathroom during it. They also did 4 songs from Chinese Democracy which garnered similar reactions. Overall it was still a really good show.

I always thought it was OK but not a favorite. Went to their concert recently and they did a 30+ minute version of it. I think Axl likes this song better than his fans did as judging by the reaction of the crowd and how everybody went to the bathroom during it. They also did 4 songs from Chinese Democracy which garnered similar reactions. Overall it was still a really good show.

Whoa

They need to play Locomotive. I don't get why they don't

Ristifer

Love it. It's such a chaotic song but calms down at the right moments. Axl's rant at the end, along with his lyricism, take the song to another level.

Yes I was waiting for that but it never came.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/guns-...-los-deportes-mexico-city-mexico-bfb994e.html

Their set list is super weird with Double Talkin' Jive which Izzy did on the record. Also some weird covers of Pink Floyd, Misfits, The Who, The Godfather Theme and Layla. No time for Pretty Tied Up, Shotgun Blues, or Think About You.

They do so many covers. I don't understand why they are playing Double-Talkin Jive. I think Izzy's voice, like on the album, works better for that song

Love it. It's such a chaotic song but calms down at the right moments. Axl's rant at the end, along with his lyricism, take the song to another level.

I really think Axl is an amazing lyricist. He has a limited catalogue of songs and albums, but he's written some amazing songs and lines

Ninhead

Might be Slash's best guitarwork in a G'N'R song. Fucking great. The song is essentially a 10-minute solo with lyrics.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I always though it was a pretty boring, overlong song. They played it live on their most recent reunion tour and I was losing attention span.

Sec0nd

Don't think I've actually finished listening this song. I find the main chord progression quite off putting for some reason.

-Eddman-

Awesome song, it was one of my favorites of the setlist when I saw them back in april. I don't really know if it makes sense to describe it like this but I think it's a great blend of Glam/Punk/Progressive something like that.

I think that should have been their musical direction if egos (and Grunge) didn't destroy the band in the mid 90s.

Sec0nd

The last two minutes or so contain some of Axl's best lyrical work. I recommend listening through to the end.

Just decided to listen to it in its entirety. Still think the main chord progression is quite off putting. But that ending is really neat. Also loving the solo. Of all the GnR songs this is probably the most similar to Slash his work after going solo. So this song being Slash his baby is definitely no surprise. Really shows the difference a songwriter/vocalist makes though. This feels a lot stronger than any of the songs with Myles on the vocals.

It's never been one of my go to songs with them but whenever I sit down and listen I always like it. I tend to gravitate towards Estranged when it comes to their longer songs. There is something about Coma that just feels different though, that have made it a bit more inaccessible for me I guess. It's hard for me to pinpoint what it is more specifically than "the feel" of the song since I'm not that well versed in the technicalities behind music.

rSpooky

Love it!

Was just recently listening to the use your illusion albums and the song came up and I instantly was grinning ear to ear .. remember almost the whole song even though it had been years since the last time.

Only bettered by Estranged in the GnR back catalogue.

It's never been one of my go to songs with them but whenever I sit down and listen I always like it. I tend to gravitate towards Estranged when it comes to their longer songs. There is something about Coma that just feels different though, that have made it a bit more inaccessible for me I guess. It's hard for me to pinpoint what it is more specifically than "the feel" of the song since I'm not that well versed in the technicalities behind music.

Estranged is another masterpiece. Those Illusion albums are dope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom