• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game has the best, most lagless online code?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I got to thinking about all the positive comments regarding MK: D's online code and how smooth it is. I was wondering which game publisher you feel has the best grasp on internet online netcode? What game would you crown as having the best, most lagless and smoothest experience when playing online? Doesn't necessarily have to be XBL or any other specific platform.

I don't have MK Deception yet, but I would have to say of the games I've played, MotoGP on XBL has been the most lagless game I've experienced. With the amount of cycles on screen at once, I rarely notice any hopping around the track from other bikers.

RalliSport Challenge II isn't too bad with a four player game, but once you get over 8 in a room it gets pretty noticeable, with wireframe cars going all into the trees and shit.

Diablos

UT2004 Assault mode![/sarcasm]
Painkiller Multiplayer Demo![/even more sarcasm]

I hear nothing but good things about BF1942 online play.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
DAMMIT...sorry mods...plz move.

AeroGod

Anything by Novalogic, mostly. DeltaForce games and BlackHawk Down. Havnt tried Joint Operations yet though. Still, I remember back in the day playing Land Warrior on 56k with 20+ people and even though it said I had 300+ ping I couldnt tell. Felt like I was playing on high speed DSL and was doing real well.

I remmeber Vietcong , a year or 2 ago when it came out had pretty good too. I was still playing it on 56k with around 16 people and was doing really well.

Call of Duty does pretty well for me too, although Im playing that on DSL now.

Justin

Tribes 1. It came out in 1998 when everyone still had dial up and ran games with around 24 people almost lag free.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Justin said:
Tribes 1. It came out in 1998 when everyone still had dial up and ran games with around 24 people almost lag free.

Yeah, that was pretty amazing. Tribes rox

Vlad

Diablos said:
UT2004 Assault mode![/sarcasm]
Painkiller Multiplayer Demo![/even more sarcasm]

I hear nothing but good things about BF1942 online play.

You forgot the sarcasm tag on your last line.

From your comment I'm going to assume that you've never actually played BF1942 online...

MutFox

Banned
Vlad said:
You forgot the sarcasm tag on your last line.

From your comment I'm going to assume that you've never actually played BF1942 online...

hehe....
In BF1942, one second your flying your plane in a dogfight, it lags,
next second you're crashed in some mountain side.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Burnout 3 by EA games.

on opposite day.

Vlad

MutFox said:
hehe....
In BF1942, one second your flying your plane in a dogfight, it lags,
next second you're crashed in some mountain side.

I'm not even talking about that sort of thing. I've experienced random lag spikes in every online FPS game I've played. I'm talking about the absolutely cruddy way that BF implements hit detection online, among other things. For example, if you're in a plane trying to shoot down another plane, and you see your bullets hitting the other plane with a bunch of debris flying off, that usually means that you're completely missing.

The problem is is that it seems like the hit detection is completely server-side. While it eliminates any possibility of aimbots and cheats of that kind, it makes shooting at stuff an exercise in frustration. When you're having a tank battle, not only do you have to lead your shot, but also account for the time it takes for the server to check for the hit, so you have to aim further than you should.

Of course, then there's the fact that walking down stairs mysteriously causes damage every so often, and every single thing in the game, from changing camera angles, to switching weapons, to even fucking typing is succeptible to lag. I can't count how many times I've been trying to type "Enemy tanks approaching the north base" only to have it come out as "Eny takrchn th rth se", simply because I'm typing faster than the game could keep up with.

And of course, these have all been issues since day one, and the only thing that DICE ever did to remedy the situation is add a hit indicator to the crosshair to show when you've overcome the crappy hit detection and scored a hit.

I mean, If I can play a game like Unreal 2004, and be able to hit somebody bunny hopping around with the lightning gun by actually aiming AT them (how novel!), it's pretty inexcusable for BF to be able to do the same.

Ramirez

Madden,I could play that game on 56K just as good as I play it on DSL now,amazing.Too bad EA doesn't give the same attention to the rest of their titles =\

isamu

Ramirez said:
Madden,I could play that game on 56K just as good as I play it on DSL now,amazing.Too bad EA doesn't give the same attention to the rest of their titles =\

Hmm, wasn't madden plagued by a shitload of problems when it first came out? Or am I thinking of another game?

Ecrofirt said:
The OT© does. Duh.!

the-ot.gif

toohectic

I haven't played MK:D, but perhaps the reason why it seems so responsive online is due to the fact the the game overall is less responsive... and that non-responsive feel helps mask the actual lag that is present. The game is "softer" than a traditional fighter which makes it more qualified for a better "lag-free" online experience.

Tribes 1

You could play in HUGE games on just a pokey 56k modem and it somehow worked. Nothing comes close as far as I'm concerned.

pilonv1 said:

Do people actually play this? I saw the game on TechTV and thought it looked really good, but didn't think anybody actually bought and played it.

Haven't played in a long time, but Moto GP2 was the best game I ever played on LIVE. It's hardcore and not for everyone, but great network code and a terrific game.

I've actually given up on shooters. Such an exercise in frustration for a gameplay whore. Actually bought 1942 again (After not playing anything online in months) and snapped the disc in half after two hours. All the reasons I dumped the game in the 1st place came rushing back and I didn't wanna get in a rut where I'd spend 10 hours of frustration for every 1 hour of enjoyment.

Darias

Pfft....

Command & Conquer Generals... That thing lags like a sumbitch with four players over a GIGABIT LAN.

Top Bottom