• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what games made you think about life and its meaning ?

Three

I can't say I've thought about it all that much when playing games but possibly Shadow of the Colossus. It was about trying to save a dead loved one in an endeavour that was harming yourself.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
NieR Automata is the top pick for this example. Really gets into the meaning of life, moral relativism, artificial life. It's literally almost entirely about the meaning of life. Masterpiece of a game.

Citizen Sleeper also has some really interesting dark themes. Just barely scraping by enough to survive on a space station, half human half machine. Definitely makes you wonder about purpose. Another masterpiece.

Last edited:

atyourservice

Neo Member
All of them, to some extent. To give some specific examples: Death stranding, Pillars of eternity, How fish is made/mouthwashing, Hyper Light drifter, Disco Elysium, etc.

mdkirby

SOMA is a good shout. Not sure if it counts, Death stranding had a weird impact on me, as I played it during Covid lockdown, as a result, I definitely appreciated my Uber eats, Amazon and Deliveroo drivers much more and increased my tips ever since.

Retro_Stew

220px-Outer_Wilds_Steam_artwork.jpg

wkuraido

Neo Member
Final Fantasy IX's Vivi is a current example for me.

Throughout the game he explores (and agonizes) over his origins, mortality, and purpose.

The scene where he and Zidane pee under the stars is a personal favorite:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Cyberpunk 2077. If you think our real world is any different, well you're probably living in a bubble. Our future is grim, and our lives are pretty much controlled by corporations. It will only get worse even if technology advances, which is pretty much a cyberpunk future.

DAHGAMING

Assassins creed 1 and 2 (Brother hood and Revelations included). I think a mix of Society and life.

Its just a game but the meaning of Nothing is true, everything is permitted is deep and has more meaning in recent years.

And the fact that over 3 games, all we go through with Ezio, from a young man untill hes old age, and he is just a messenger. Some people spend so much time worrying about there purpose in life, thinking they need to do something great or amazing, when that thing could be somthing that seems small to yourself but is massive to others, eg being a good parent, husband or wife, maybe allowing them togo on to achieve somthing that in your eyes is truely purposeful.

Kaachan

First game to give me existential crisis was Ōkami and it wasn't because of the thematic or anything like that. I barely got any sleep for my first playthrough and I just realized mid playing early in the morning ''fuck, we're all gonna die and I don't want that''

Haven't been able to really get over that fear ever since it happened :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls:

Planet Earth will one day go the way of the dodo and something like this would remain. Nothing but ruins.

A lot of Japanese developers want to send a subliminal message through their games in art form and without exposition.

Half Life 2:

Do I need to say more? 1984 with a a twist.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Everytime I buy WoW gametime I play for an hour, ask myself what the hell am I doing with my life and ask for refund.

I remember reading 20 years ago on the old Blizzard WoW forums about people taking weeklong vacations from work and spend the whole time raiding 12 hours a day and it made me so depressed that I quit playing WoW myself.

ergem

Final Fantasy IX's Vivi is a current example for me.

Throughout the game he explores (and agonizes) over his origins, mortality, and purpose.

The scene where he and Zidane pee under the stars is a personal favorite:

This game gave me depression as a kid. I cried incessantly after the game ended.

It truly felt like the characters were my friends and our adventure together came to an end. I will never see them anymore and we will live our lives without each other.

It has a lot of existential theme, loneliness, longing for love and belongingness embedded in the characters’ arch and story. And the last song played “Melodies of Life” at the end is just perfect.

SOMA is the only game I can really think of that "hit hard". There's a moment where you x-ray yourself and I had such a visceral reaction to that sequence. It was really surprising to me in terms of how much it affected me.

FFXIV Endwalker builds a lot of its narrative around a single question:

"Why, given life, are we meant to suffer and die?"

It's one of the many ways that Endwalker brings the overarching story of FFXIV full circle, since this same question was posed by the song that played during A Realm Reborn's opening cutscene back in 2013. Different characters arrive at different answers to this question, and their answers guide their actions, for better or for worse.

Holammer

Figment got some concepts, but rather than moved to tears I was more upset how they butchered the story.
In the game your player character represents a man in a coma after a traffic accident, a figment of the imagination if you will. Exploring and fixing problems in different areas which represent parts of the brain. At the end he wakes up.

It's cleverly paced so the player should figure it out the twist halfway through the game, except they spell it out in the intro!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not a single game has made me consider the meaning of life or had such a profound impression on me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not a single game has made me consider the meaning of life or had such a profound impression on me.
Same, there is always a disconnect for me that prevents a game from having any significant emotional impact like a book or a movie can.

Same, there is always a disconnect for me that prevents a game from having any significant emotional impact like a book or a movie can.
I'm curious if you have any children.

I don't see how any father could play the intro of Last of Us without getting emotional.

Child-less cat people can play The Last Guardian through to the end for your tears. I get emotional just remembering it. Building that bond and watching the finale...

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm curious if you have any children.

I don't see how any father could play the intro of Last of Us without getting emotional.

Child-less cat people can play The Last Guardian through to the end for your tears. I get emotional just remembering it. Building that bond and watching the finale...
I have two kids. Last of Us is a good example - the show had an emotional impact, the game I followed the story but the daughters death was just a plot point.

killatopak

Gold Member
Surprisingly, God of War.

I mean it's obvious Kratos is a piece of shit, rage and lust filled brute.

He is meant to be despised. I just felt like for all his failures, to still push through redemption not for himself but for his son, that hit me.

I could have been the most worthless person in the past but if I strive to change people's lives for the better, not for myself but for them, I can find a sense of value and peace.

I haven't played Ragnarok yet so I don't know if something changed.

Last edited:

Edellus

FFXIV Endwalker builds a lot of its narrative around a single question:

"Why, given life, are we meant to suffer and die?"

It's one of the many ways that Endwalker brings the overarching story of FFXIV full circle, since this same question was posed by the song that played during A Realm Reborn's opening cutscene back in 2013. Different characters arrive at different answers to this question, and their answers guide their actions, for better or for worse.

I came to say this.

To me it was also about the importance of every moment of your life. For all the things you choose to do and not do; all the things you choose to say and not to say, matter. None of us live in a void, and by just existing we change each other and the future of everything that exists with us and after us.

It also made me a traveler (a wanderer). That cutscene where she told us why she loves the world, loves being, hit me hard. Specially that question about our journey being worth it. Yep, I'm going to make sure it is worth it. I will live, die, and know.

simpatico

Gold Member
Serious Sam 2. You can’t just constantly back pedal all of life’s problems. At some point you have to take initiative and move forward against all odds.

notseqi

Journey. Defined for me what can be entertaining, what multiplayer can be, what sound or absence of it can do to further the atmosphere, how simple graphics can be to convey what is being said.

Bioshock Infinite - circumstance as much as anything. My mum had just died and it was the first game I played after that life incident, when the credits rolled it hit me hard. Still listen to that version of that song every know and again.

SHA

Silent Hill especially The Rome cause consequences happen in real time, it's different than 2 where James just being stupid and looked over his past he couldn't change.

Humdinger

None. Not to sound snobby, but I was mid-30s when I got into videogames, and I'd already thought long and hard about life, death, and meaning before that. Nothing videogames had to say held a candle to the philosophical, religious, or psychological material I had read. It was like child's play in comparison, or at best the ramblings of a stoned teenager who thinks he's being deep.

I thought Journey was a cool game, though. It touched on these topics effectively. I think its effectiveness came partly from the fact that it didn't say a word - there were no characters delivering supposedly profound speeches. It let the action do the talking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom