• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what games made you think about life and its meaning ?

samoilaaa

A game has never made me think about the meaning of life. Games are an escape for me.
well thats the thing movies , games , books make me think about life more that life does because it became like a schedule

get up , eat , go to work , come home , eat , do chores , maybe go out with friends , go to sleep repeat

you barely get the chance to think about the meaning of life , ur too busy trying to survive in the jungle

samoilaaa

None. Not to sound snobby, but I was mid-30s when I got into videogames, and I'd already thought long and hard about life, death, and meaning before that. Nothing videogames had to say held a candle to the philosophical, religious, or psychological material I had read. It was like child's play in comparison, or at best the ramblings of a stoned teenager who thinks he's being deep.

I thought Journey was a cool game, though. It touched on these topics effectively. I think its effectiveness came partly from the fact that it didn't say a word - there were no characters delivering supposedly profound speeches. It let the action do the talking.
i agree books are the best for this kind of stuff , i really like occult/esoteric stuff like this

mendicant wages

Neo Member
for me it was SOMA , it made me realize how fragile our bodies but especially our minds are

we go through life trying to make the best decisions for ourselves but sometimes it just feels like it doesnt matter

So what games made you feel about life , death , purpose ?
Sea man

consoul

Mobile gacha games like Brave Exvius & SMT Dx2 made me think about what I was doing with my life. I never played them again.

Bojji

SOMA is AMAZING. Other than that I think What Remains of Edith Finch had the most impact on me. This game is incredible, super sad and really makes you think about life...

Most recently, Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Specifically, how I will see my life when looking back on it before I die and how my subconscious will react when death finally knocks on my door. After being almost hypnotized by a tired routine of work and media for years, playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was a great reminder of what I truly find meaningful about my life and how I want to spend the time I still have. It's a wonderful, pensive game.

Utherellus

Disco Elysium. It's crazy good. Left me and my sister flabbergasted.

And my favorite: Beyond good and Evil. It's not about the dialogues or anything. It's about overall atmosphere and most importantly: The Name. I just love how Ubisoft borrowed the title from Nietzsche's book.

It's one of the most elegant and mysterious names in gaming industry.

goldangelcorp

Neo Member
46 okunen monogatari - Harukanaru Eden he(E.V.O. Search for eden). The OST is very nice make you think about the life and the creation of the earth

Bernardougf

Yeah I play games to have fun not think about lifes problems or meanings... exactly why I moved on from too much "realistic movie like" storytelling... just want to have fun. No bullshit. Thanks.

Reactions: Isa
Night In the woods , that game is deep , the melancholy art style, the feeling of loneliness of growing up in in a small town...
It has a special feeling!

Majukun

Final fantasy 13 with its constant attempt of not being actually played and strip any kind of user agency from the player

Trelane

the opening of The Last of Us, right before the time skip... I wasn't a dad at that point yet, but it hit me like a train
I actually thought the opening was pretty manipulative. Joel’s daughter was nothing more than a plot element to help build sympathy for Joel and to establish the underlying father/daughter narrative the writers wanted him to have with Ellie.

I actually thought the opening was pretty manipulative. Joel’s daughter was nothing more than a plot element to help build sympathy for Joel and to establish the underlying father/daughter narrative the writers wanted him to have with Ellie.
worked on me, that's all I can say

grooverdude

Neo Member
People kept pestering me to play and fully finish Nier Automata, claiming it was God's gift to mankind and that the existenstial revelations at the end would reshape my perceptions.. they did. It was one of the most vapid and mediocre experiences I've ever pushed myself through - screeching anime nonsense galore. I knew in my heart that the game was a turd by the end of the first playthrough - so the game taught me to listen to my intuition and ignore the masses telling me to do otherwise.

The music is sublime though.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Metal Gear Solid 2

That game man with its strange-real references, the parallels with real world events .. man I had to take sometime to get rid of those nanomachines lol

Last edited:

nnytk

Neo Member
WoW in 2006 because it was the first time I got too addicted to a game and had to take a step back.

Death Stranding because of Death Stranding and the pandemic.

Souls' games because of how therapeutic they can be.

And JRPGs with gorgeous vistas that allowed me to experience mindfulness inside videogames. And the importance of "pausing".

Top Bottom