• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has EA done to the Need For Speed series

vangace

Need for Speed Underground 2

920465_20040721_screen002.jpg

Need for speed Porsche Unleashed looks better

porshe_screen001.jpg

Need for Speed Hot Persuit was the best for me, i still play it today. Since NFS Porsche Unleashed the subsequent the games have been shittier and shittier. NFS Hot Persuit 2 cars looked like they were floating in air and NFS Underground, the cars looked like toy cars. What happened? Did they change the Studios? Worse still if you compare the recent NFS installments to best racers available right now, PGR etc, its not even close.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hot Pursuit is my favorite as well, with High Stakes behind it. I just don't like this fast and the furious crap, just doesn't appeal to me at all

Gattsu25

Banned
maybe by your definition of better

I wish they seperated Underground from the main NFS series, though...while I do like Underground, I'd rather a new game in the spirit of real NFS

Tellaerin

Loved Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2 version) and NFSU. Hope EA starts alternating between 'vanilla' NFS and Underground releases, since I'd like to see more games in both those lines. If they release 'em, I'll buy 'em.

vangace

I have tried to like NFS Underground but once you play PGR 1 AND 2 or any other recent racer its impossible to go back to Underground although I still play NFS 3 and NFS 5.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Oh goody another thread complaining about the direction the NFS series has taken.. I wanna get in!!!!

Tellaerin

dskillzhtown said:
Isn't the plan to have 2 series now? Underground and Hot Pursuit?

If so, then I'll be one happy man. And EA will be getting double my usual racing dollars from now on.

High stakes was the best for me! I loved that game so much :D oh and yes all this underground racing sucks :p I want the old NFS back

element

well i really dont consider NFSU part of the NFS series. It was done by Black Box EA, not EA Canada (Vancouver), even though they are both in Vancouver.

I guess EA Canada is working on a 'true' NFS title

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Wario64 said:
Hot Pursuit is my favorite as well, with High Stakes behind it. I just don't like this ricer/fast and the furious crap, just doesn't appeal to me at all

Ricer? WTF is that supposed to mean? Apparently being an insensitive racist dick appeals to you moreso? Take that ignorance to Opa-Ages.

Deg

Banned
All the previous NFS's were pretty crappy until Underground came along. The fact that sales rose with this installment proves that its sold very well because of the new direction. Previous games did very little in Europe.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Li Mu Bai said:
Ricer? WTF is that supposed to mean? Apparently being an insensitive racist dick appeals to you moreso? Take that ignorance to Opa-Ages.

Hm, I wasn't trying to be racist or anything, but I'll edit my comment if it bothers you so much

I'm not going to pull an apologist but if you go play NFS 3 on PS1 there is NO GAMEPLAY in there. The game feels like Pole Position, no car physics, no meat. I wouldn't be hailing the EA Canada office for their racing game genius.

EA BB's racers are not super polished but they are more accesable and closer to being actual racing games than any of the more recent NFS games.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Li Mu Bai said:

Li Mu Bai...you DO realize that the term "Ricer cars" is the current slang for import sports cars, and in no ways implies any racial undertones...right???

Li Mu Bai

Banned
isamu said:
Li Mu Bai...you DO realize that the term "Ricer cars" is the current slang for import sports cars, and in no ways implies any racial undertones...right???

No, I didn't isamu. My apologies then Wario, I still find the term distasteful but at least I now understand its context.

DarienA

isamu said:

Ricer cars is not positive slang... it's negative slang to describe said vehicles.

vangace

Deg said:
All the previous NFS's were pretty crappy until Underground came along. The fact that sales rose with this installment proves that its sold very well because of the new direction. Previous games did very little in Europe.

Its pretty foked up that you consider a game good based on sales, NFSU and NFS HP 2 are the worst games in the franchise.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
okay a RICER car is an ORIENTAL car, okay that makes it much better, thanks internet

SKluck

Banned
I think Riceburner was the original term, and was shortened to Ricer, because everyone around here always said Riceburner.

Mairu

NFSU haters will get NFS Most Wanted next year probably anyways... unless they delay that again for NFSU3 :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hey I edited my post for a reason (so that this thread doesn't get derailed) so lets go back on topic please :p

thom

DarienA said:
Ricer cars is not positive slang... it's negative slang to describe said vehicles.

not positive slang? there must be quite a few self-loathing import enthusiasts out there,

most guys I know that own modified wrx's and silvia's refer to their cars as "rice rockets".

Then again check out these hateful sons of bitches: www.teamtoilet.com

DarienA

thom said:
not positive slang? there must be quite a few self-loathing import enthusiasts out there,

most guys I know that own modified wrx's and silvia's refer to their cars as "rice rockets".

Then again check out these hateful sons of bitches: www.teamtoilet.com

That's pretty funny... and this is a serious question, are they caucasian? I don't know any asians who refer to the import tuned vehicles as rice rockets.

Ranger X

Personnally i hope they leave this "street racing" style for NFS. Or always release one paired with a REAL NFS...
They did go with the street racing because it's a la mode. Fuck them. Easy sales - thank you casual gamers. NFS WAS a class racing game for gamers with some taste.

Almost every racing game and/or movie that feature cars are now "Street Racing" style. Gimme a break.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
DarienA said:
That's pretty funny... and this is a serious question, are they caucasian? I don't know any asians who refer to the import tuned vehicles as rice rockets.

That's true DarienA, & I drive one.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
vangace said:
Need for Speed Underground 2

920465_20040721_screen002.jpg

Need for speed Porsche Unleashed looks better

porshe_screen001.jpg

Need for Speed Hot Persuit was the best for me, i still play it today. Since NFS Porsche Unleashed the subsequent the games have been shittier and shittier. NFS Hot Persuit 2 cars looked like they were floating in air and NFS Underground, the cars looked like toy cars. What happened? Did they change the Studios? Worse still if you compare the recent NFS installments to best racers available right now, PGR etc, its not even close.

Completely ignoring the gameplay, that NFSU2 shot IS pretty bad...but it in NO WAY looks worse than the PU shot you posted. Look at the backgrounds in the second shot. EXTREMELY basic...

Li Mu Bai

Banned
dark10x said:
Completely ignoring the gameplay, that NFSU2 shot IS pretty bad...but it in NO WAY looks worse than the PU shot you posted. Look at the backgrounds in the second shot. EXTREMELY basic...

I agree dark, it seems as if he chose the worst capture of NFS:U II that he could find.

High Stakes was my favorite in the series. Hot Pursuit was great, but High Stakes included all the Hot Pursuit content anyways from what I remember (PC version).

dark10x said:

Even from a gameplay standpoint, the Underground series is still superior to any of the other games it's also much deeper due to the tuning aspect.

Ceros

Building upon the aspect of the tuning and customization in NFSU, I think that equates to more replay value than the previous games also. I mean getting chased by cops is fun, but its gets repetitive quicker than making and racing several different models in NFSU. There are more things to do in NFSU such as drag racing and drift(which is fun as hell) on top of the regular racing modes.

Speaking of cops, I don't know what EA was thinking when they made a street racing game that didn't have cops involved. That is a big part of the street/tuning racing culture. I haven't really kept up with NFSU2 but I hope they added the cop aspect in. I'm pretty sure SRS has them in it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Ceros said:
Building upon the aspect of the tuning and customization in NFSU, I think that equates to more replay value than the previous games also. I mean getting chased by cops is fun, but its gets repetitive quicker than making and racing several different models in NFSU. There are more things to do in NFSU such as drag racing and drift(which is fun as hell) on top of the regular racing modes.

Not when you've played countless TXR games and both Midnight Clubs before hand...I got bored of NFSU after only a few hours...but chalk that up to the game not offering much other than good graphics and the current fad, IMHFO

Wulfer

Well I've hung on to my PS this long because of the NFS series. I wish EA would go back to what made the NFS series what it is today before graphics became a big deal. They had the history of each car in complete detail, long straight drives, all kind of short cuts, fantasy tracks (before all this realistic track stuff started) and they added the police chases or be the police on Need for Speed HP. Today it seems they wanta skip the detail on the cars, have choppy framerate and have real locations. EA put the fun back in the game put the speed back. Take a few (hell a lot of notes from Sega's Outrun 2). Make me want to hang on to today's game's the same reason I hold on to last gen's games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NFSU was a fun game, though. It was also EXTREMELY fast (faster than any previous NFS game) and intense...

I don't understand the hate for it. So they tried something new...big deal. How many regular NFS games have there been? Plenty! I'm sure they'll eventually go back to it, but for now, enjoy the Underground series. It really is a very enjoyable game...

I just can't understand the hate. :\

Deg

Banned
vangace said:
Its pretty foked up that you consider a game good based on sales, NFSU and NFS HP 2 are the worst games in the franchise.

I enjoyed it and i am sure many others did to make this particular NFSU a bigger success than others.

dark10x said:
NFSU was a fun game, though. It was also EXTREMELY fast (faster than any previous NFS game) and intense...

I don't understand the hate for it. So they tried something new...big deal. How many regular NFS games have there been? Plenty! I'm sure they'll eventually go back to it, but for now, enjoy the Underground series. It really is a very enjoyable game...

I just can't understand the hate. :\

The hate comes from the tuning aspect which people don't seem to like. They prefer just racing Porsche's and Ferrari's which I can understand. Gameplay wise though, Underground is simply better than the previous NFS'. You might not like the premise but the driving model is very similar to the old games the big difference really is the tuning which doesn't take away from the gameplay it adds to it.

I guess some of the other hate comes from always having to race at night at night through cities instead of country road like other NFS'. They could add that to Underground too as it'd fit in just right.

Gattsu25

Banned
actually, my lack of interest in the game comes from the game trying nothing new.

It looked nice, offered a relatively small racing ground, provided gameplay that's been done before repeatedly, was a blatant rip of a movie I thought was terribly over-hyped and shallow, and shared little similarity to a NFS game. The old gameplay with a new coat of paint and it's obvious inspiration from the shallow 2F2F where the only things that really bugged me at the time

DarienA

Gattsu25 said:
actually, my lack of interest in the game comes from the game trying nothing new.

It looked nice, offered a relatively small racing ground, provided gameplay that's been done before repeatedly, was a blatant rip of a movie I thought was terribly over-hyped and shallow, and shared little similarity to a NFS game. The old gameplay with a new coat of paint and it's obvious inspiration from the shallow 2F2F where the only things that really bugged me at the time

NFSU tried nothing new..... hey could you direct me to the previous import power drifting competition and import drag racing game on a US console that worked as well as those two modes did in NFSU?

Thanks.

The problem I have with Underground is that there are other games out there that do the same thing (Midnight Club, etc). There are no more real "hot Pursuit-esque" racers on the market. Everything is "Underground" these days.

Midnight Club did street races, it didn't do import racing. What NFSU did was present actual street mod racing like its never been done before. It's the closest to the actual real thing out there for now.

Top Bottom