• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Square Enix game of the last 5 years?

The best Square Enix game since 2019?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

Square Enix might be very stupid, but they make a lot of very good games, and some of them are even great, GOAT caliber ones.

I decided to limit this list to the last five years, and I think I most every major games they put out in this period. Of these games, which one is your favorite?

Personally my top three are Octopath 2, Rebirth, and DQ11S. What about you?

LakeOf9

1. Octopath Traveler II
  2. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
  3. Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  4. NEO: The World Ends With You
  5. Triangle Strategy
  6. Star Ocean 2R
  7. Final Fantasy VII Remake
  8. Bravely Default II
  9. Live A Live
Fuck the other ones, I actively hate them

Fabieter

I've yet to play Endwalker to really end this saga, but Shadowbringers was indeed fucking amazing. Best FF14 trailer too.

Also, how the fuck was 2019 only 5 years ago? Jesus...

Endwalker had higher highs but it wasn't as consistent as shb IMHO. Yes time is flying by it's probably because we had so many once in a lifetime crysis the past few years xD.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
im moving onto Rebirth after Octopath traveller 2 and Elden Bling. Can't wait.

Voting with Dragon Quest for now!

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Geez, got many of those but only played Live a Live so far so I chose that one. I also played Dungeon Encounters (liked the idea, plus it was rather hard to reach the 100th floor but loved every minute of it) and Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars which I also enjoyed due its AD&D vibes (so much I bought the other two chapters as well).

PanzerCute

Too many awesome games for me to choose. Octopath 2, Bravely 2 and Triangle Strategy are stellar old school games, while the 2 FF7 games are pure modern JRPG awesomeness. DQ11 ,1s also amazing.

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
Star Ocean 2 as far as I am concerned. A truly fantastic game, focused and fast paced, no stupid bloat, a ton of meaningful choices, engaging world to explore, very good combat, great characters, amazing soundtrack. Loved every second of it, and will definitely revisit it in the future to try out other characters.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
  1. Triangle Strategy
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Stranger in Paradise
  4. Octopath 2
  5. NieR Replicant (lower since its just a remake)

GymWolf

Gold Member
Didn't liked anything of what i played from them in the past 10+ years.

I guess forspoken had fun traversal...

Guardians of the galaxy had shit combat but the game was still decent, the banter was nice even if i hated that fucking raccoon.

Last edited:

Varteras

Rebirth was outstanding. Put more than 80 hours into my first playthrough and hadn't even done everything I wanted to do. My only complaint was the ending.

DonF

people voting Stranger of Paradise...is it really that good? Its not even on my radar based on some trusted reviews.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
people voting Stranger of Paradise...is it really that good? Its not even on my radar based on some trusted reviews.
I really enjoyed it. The combat was satisfying and challenging, it has a cool job system with lots of jobs to play around with, and the story/characters were so ridiculous and over the top that I actually liked them.

I haven’t played the Nioh games but I hear it’s very similar. Give it a shot if you’re curious.

Was that ever translated? It looks super nice, wouldn't mind replaying the game with that aesthetic.
As far as I'm aware, not yet... Which is weird.

I played it in the same way I played Resident Evil 4 back when I was a kid (Knowing almost nothing of English, being a Portuguese speaker).
I know very basic Japanese, so it was just gameplay carrying me.

Speaking from purely gameplay, it's fantastic.
I will have to check out the Switch version.

Fbh

Gold Member
capsule_616x353.jpg

Good and challenging tactical gameplay, good story that stays away from a lot of tired clichés, and some of the best decision making in any RPG I've played, with tough choices that have fairly big consequences on the story

It's a decent 7/10 game.
The visuals are horrible, it literally looks like a Ps3 game most of the time and yet for some reason it doesn't even run very well on Ps5
The level design is fairly linear and basic, though there is a bit of exploration and at least decent variety in the environments
The story is hilarious in a "so bad it's good" kinda way.

But what elevates the game is the really fun combat (which has some unique mechanics but will feel familiar if you've played recent Team Ninja Games) with an extensive job system that has you unlocking new classes and skills basically all the way through the story.
If nothing else, at least the combat shits all over FFXVI, there's just way more abilities, weapons types, combos, gear and build variety on top of not being forced to play on super easy.

Sojiro

Had to give it to Dragon Quest XI, but it just edged out Octopath Traveler II.

1. Dragon Quest XI
2. Octopath Traveler II
3. Star Ocean Second Story R
4. Triangle Strategy
5. Live a Live
6. Bravely Default II

I haven't played the rest to comment, but I enjoyed all six of the ones I have listed, so for me SE has been doing pretty good in the last few years.

Sushi_Combo

Rebirth would come to a close second had it not been such a bloaty game.
I bought Forspoken on sale for like 30$ and I was surprised how much I enjoyed the gameplay, story was alright but I was able to finish it without feeling bored. A definite sleeper hit for me.

rofif rofif was right

Flabagast

Rebirth by a big margin. Incredible game.

But there are also quite a lot of decent to very good games in the list. Their recent output has been pretty strong I would say

wvnative

I'm gonna hot take and say FF7 remake overall (but the choice is hard, I think Square is currently one of the top publishers, to my taste, i've loved nearly all of their games these last several years)

I honestly prefer the linear structure, and imo rebirth pisses about too much even focusing on the critical path. I still absolutely loved it, but I think bringing back the classic FF structure has made fans blind to some of the steps back it takes from Remake. Worse/slower/uglier menus, some overtuned encounter design, materia management is a nightmare, and god I think pacing is way worse than Remake.

But both games are excellent, as are most of Square-Enix's current lineup. I look forward to nearly everything they release, and if they do release something less than great, it's typically a small bump.

lachesis

Gold Member
For me, it's just "Enix".... as I voted for DQ XIs.
It's been a while since I met a game that's so "based" to what it does best, and not pretend to be something else.
It was quite refreshing to play something like that.

Top Bottom