• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what is the most ridiculous thing Reginald Fils-Aime has said ?

doncale

Banned
I find Reggie mildly amusing since Nintendo needs every bit of "gusto" or whatever you wanna call it, that they can get.

but what's the most retarded / rediculous thing he's said?

from what I've read, IMO, it's got to be this:

Reggie:

"What we've said and what we're trying to communicate is that graphics have been pushed as far as they can go."

now if you can find something said by Reggie that's even more ridiculous, post it here :)

Grubdog

Banned
That's not ridiculous at all and I agree with him. There's no point in simply having better graphics, it doesn't excite me at all. For example, what racer could be better looking than Burnout 3? I can't imagine it, it's unnecessary.

Grubdog said:
That's not ridiculous at all and I agree with him. There's no point in simply having better graphics, it doesn't excite me at all. For example, what racer could be better looking than Burnout 3? I can't imagine it, it's unnecessary.

He's not saying that graphics are fine the way they are, he's saying that they can't be made to look any better.

Grubdog said:

umm I can imagine it, it's called GT4.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think he's saying that graphics won't get better, or can't get better, but that their importance in the grand scheme of things is decreasing.

*shrugs*

That IS something that Nintendo's been saying a lot.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I still think his whole "I can assure you [the DS] will be innovative" line was the most banal and soulless thing he's ever written; you could almost feel his eyes attentively viewing what was written on the script provided to him and regurgitating it while the gun was held to his head.

Mejilan said:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think he's saying that graphics won't get better, or can't get better, but that their importance in the grand scheme of things is decreasing.

*shrugs*

That IS something that Nintendo's been saying a lot.

I think that the the more and more realistic graphics we get, the more the diminishing returns. But power of consoles, and what they mean to gaming is just as important as before. I want mindblowing hardware next gen, not so that GT5 can looks even more hyperdetailed than before...but because it'll make it easier for creative devs to make the next VJ, Okami or ICO (not talking about their sequels, but games that eschew raw graphics splendor for creatively beautiful, unique looking games). I mean last gen devs really struggled to unique looking titles, look at IS and Paper Mario...great looking game, then look at PM2....it looks so much more stunning, probably what they wished they could do with PM1. I want devs to have more freedom to be able to do ANY kind of visual style their twised minds can come up with, and ever increasing power of hardware is going to give them the opportunity to really do that well.

Dragmire

Reggie said:
"What we've said and what we're trying to communicate is that graphics have been pushed as far as they can go."
Well, he's justifying the Nintendo DS's capabilities. Honestly, if pushing graphical boundaries is all you care about for videogames, Nintendo is not the company for you. Besides, I say style is a better visual influence than technology, and something stylish like Feel the Magic can be done on DS hardware.

Brofist

So you guys will be perfectly happy buying a Revolution if the graphics look exactly the same as the GC games now?

Pimpbaa

Grubdog said:

How can you not imagine a game better looking? The game is far from looking indistinguishable from real life. Low res textures, jaggies, low poly counts, etc... Lots of room for improvement.

explodet

Is there a Sony equivalent to Reggie and Peter Moore?

Because all three should fight to the death for our entertainment.

doncale

Banned
graphics in videogames have massive leaps and bounds worth of improvement to go, before we can say that graphics have been pushed as far as they can go.

maybe Nintendo means that graphics have been pushed as far as THEY are willing to push them in a handheld, in this point in time :)

explodet

MaddenNFL64 said:
Who did he work for before Nintendo hired him?
According to the press release:

Proctor and Gamble
Panda Management (Chinese food supplies)
Pizza Hut
VH-1
Derby Cycle
Guinness Import

xsarien

daedsiluap
doncale said:
graphics in videogames have massive leaps and bounds worth of improvement to go, before we can say that graphics have been pushed as far as they can go.

It's poorly worded, but his sentiments echo not only Nintendo's stance, but also Microsoft's: The next generation of games will be largely software driven. The PS3, XBox 2, and Revolution will be powerful enough to a point where how many polys they're capable of pushing will be pretty irrelevant.

There's nothing stupid about what he said. Now, if you wanna talk dumb remarks, Peter Moore, previously at Sega of America, currently with the XBox folks at Microsoft, is a fucking oasis...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
explodet said:
According to the press release:

Proctor and Gamble
Panda Management (Chinese food supplies)
Pizza Hut
VH-1
Derby Cycle
Guinness Import
You don't suppose Reggie is responsible for the P'Zone, do you?

What a complete circle of GAF lore that would make.

Deg

Banned
"My name is Reggie. I kick ass and take names"

I think thats the line. Just unexpected. Anyway its what made him famous.

SantaC

What Reggie meant is that gameplay needs to be on the same level as the graphics today. That's often not the case with many games.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
kpop100 said:
So you guys will be perfectly happy buying a Revolution if the graphics look exactly the same as the GC games now?

Of course not. Why would I buy a new system if it's graphics aren't better than it's predecessor? I'm happy with the graphics of games now though, and I have'nt seen as big of an improvement as would like in a next gen system. The leap in graphics next gen won't be as big as it has been in the past. At least not on Xbox2 and GCN2. PS3 may suprise me though. Basically I would be happy if the current systems went on to 2007 or 2008, maybe even later until we got the graphical upgrade a next gen system deserves. Not just some company who wants to rush out a new system to get more market share. They're making so much money right now, I just don't see what the rush is.

People just like voices in the industry who fuel fanboy arguments, it's entertaining. Reggie is the best thing we've got, now that the holy trinity of Rubin, Dyack and Lanning have fallen by the wayside.

explodet

MetatronM said:
You don't suppose Reggie is responsible for the P'Zone, do you?

What a complete circle of GAF lore that would make.
The release mentions the Bigfoot pizza, actually. What's the deal with the P'Zone? Is that thing even still around?

Catchpenny said:
People just like voices in the industry who fuel fanboy arguments, it's entertaining. Reggie is the best thing we've got, now that the holy trinity of Rubin, Dyack and Lanning have fallen by the wayside.
We still have Itagaki.

Gek54

As long as there are games that operate below 60fps then there is need for improved visual performance.

I interpret his comment as meaning... you can only improve what we already have... better lighting, more geometry etc. You're just increasing power/output. But essentially, it's the same. Kinda.

And a way of saying - let's look at other things we can improve.

No one here is naive enough to seriously think for a moment that anyone at Nintendo believes graphics can't get better do you? The comment wasn't said because of what they believe. It was said for some PR reason. Probably the focus on gameplay change with Nintendo DS (and I assume Revolution).

The best idiotic comments weren't from reggie himself but from fans and commentators -

Reggie's high-voltage verbs sent shockwaves of anticipation -- and adulation -- through the Nintendo community. You know, all he really meant was that, unlike certain competitors, Nintendo puts games first. But the way he said it -- man-oh-man-- internet bulletin boards and chat rooms just went bonkers. "Reggie is the light of Nintendo, nay, the light for the world!" posted one true believer. Another wrote: "When Reggie walks, his massive footprints fill with beautiful flowers for the children to enjoy."

Although I do love that.

Prine

Banned
At e3

"Nintendo have great momentum"

Few days later

reggie-lution.jpg

Top Bottom