• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHat is wrong with my Steam account?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Installing into C:\Program Files is normally fine but it's when you need to troubleshoot an issue that it can complicate things. It's a protected folder that requires elevation to write to which Windows usually solves by redirecting writes into the AppData folder in your user profile. So, if you have a borked settings file then it won't likely reside in C:\Program Files\Steam but in \userprofile\AppData.

This can be a problem when troubleshooting because uninstalling Steam won't delete those files from the AppData folder. Those files will still be there after reinstalling and would simply leave you in the same spot as before.

I've no idea if this is JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball 's issue but he mentioned that reformatting tends to solve the problem. It might be worth creating a new Windows profile in order to isolate the issue where if it doesn't then it's a strong hint that the problem lies in the Steam folder itself.
I have reformatted not too long ago.

Steam was doing this then.

A reformat and reinstall caused Steam to work as normal...until recently and that's where we are now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Have you tried to Update the Firmware on your Router and then do a factory reset ?

I dont think its a hardware Problem now checking if the error is in the PC or the Connection to the PC.
The router is provided by ATT and is brand new. It automatically updates firmware.

Are you envy?

And tires "blowing" some times is why I am not fan of cars. /s

Your loss.

Whats there to envy? Going through forums, reddit posts to figure out what is the proper configuration and driver for your graphics card for a specific game, or the shitty windows platform full of bugs and terrible UI design, or maybe its the troubleshooting of individual apps because nothing is unified and everything brings its own problems so instead of plug n play all you do is tinker and spend more time in the menu, wondering should I have 2XAA or 4XAA...perhaps shadows on ultra, but maybe better on medium....its 2024 but ill just go with 1440p resolution...i can go on forever. I prefer to get out of bed, take a shit and press one button on my consoles and im in the game.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I also ran into an annoying Steam issue. It seems like the last Fallout 4 update broke the game. It crashes when I start it. Somehow, you can roll back updates.

Zathalus

Another thing I though of, try eliminating your network and internet connection as the culprit. Take your PC to a friends house, see if the issue happens there. Or if your PC has WiFi capabilities set your phone up as a mobile hotspot and connect to that while disconnecting from your home network (hopefully your mobile plan is generous with data). If the previous two options are not possible then phoning your local PC repair shops and ask them if you can bring your PC around just to test it on their network a bit is an option, depending on how generous they are they might not even charge you.

Last edited:
I swear this shit is pissing me the fuck off. ONLY Steam has this issue and it has been a recurrent issue and it seemed like a network issue, but it has something to do with the way it is interacting with windows. GOG, Gamepass, EA, and even Epic don't have this issue.
1. Steam games simply will not start UNLESS I clear the download cache and restart. Then everything works fine for a little while. See the screenshot below. This happens whenever I start Steam from Windows.
2. Cloud Sync errors.
3. Game backup doesn't work. It just instantly stops at 0. See second screenshot.

cUo9ceQ.png

gqGMbND.jpeg

All of these issues go away (at least temporarily) once I Clear Download Cache. I can play games and I can do backups once I do that.

"Ok, so what's the big deal?"

It's simple, there is no rhyme or reason, why Steam should have to be restarted at least once before I can even use it. None. It's frustrating and it's annoying. Having to clear cache and do a restart should be a "once in a blue moon" type of fix, but I have to do this every fucking time and I am just plain tired of it.

I'd love to hear some suggestions, thoughts on what could be causing this. I am open to outside the box solutions.

I am tired of constantly having to treat the symptom. I'd like to figure out how to treat the problem.
When I got some errors like this... I was running a VPN in testing stage...
That's all I have. I hope it got fixed (I haven't spoiled the rest of the thread, so I have no-shit-clue)

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Whats there to envy? Going through forums, reddit posts to figure out what is the proper configuration and driver for your graphics card for a specific game, or the shitty windows platform full of bugs and terrible UI design, or maybe its the troubleshooting of individual apps because nothing is unified and everything brings its own problems so instead of plug n play all you do is tinker and spend more time in the menu, wondering should I have 2XAA or 4XAA...perhaps shadows on ultra, but maybe better on medium....its 2024 but ill just go with 1440p resolution...i can go on forever. I prefer to get out of bed, take a shit and press one button on my consoles and im in the game.
That evidences that you have little to no idea about PC gaming. No wonder the use of "master race" unironically. Stick to console because ignorance is a bliss in this case as you don't know what you are missing...

Soodanim

Just know that The Glorious PC Master Race is a joke from a Yahtzee video, and no one beyond console/platform war soldiers take it seriously.

Beyond that, if the benefits of closed platforms outweigh the benefits of open platforms for you then by all means do whatever makes you happy.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It automatically updates firmware.
This may not be a good thing. I encountered numerous problems with my Asus modem on new firmwares and reverted to older versions. I stopped updating the firmware altogether after that. Search for your modem's most stable firmware and switch to it.

Juza

This is probably a networking issue.

Do you recall what you did before the problem occurred?

Like blocking certain IP addresses using the firewall or host file?

Have you disabled any of the services?

Did you tweak the network or modem settings?

That evidences that you have little to no idea about PC gaming. No wonder the use of "master race" unironically. Stick to console because ignorance is a bliss in this case as you don't know what you are missing...
Ah yes, all those early access 100 hero shooter games, space sims that will never get finished, f2p battle royales, hentai visual novels and so many others lol.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Again...no other games on any other launcher have this issue. The system isn't running hot at all.
Even SSD's can have wrongful bits which go corrupt. It might that Steam consistently tries to access that corrupt area..

I have not....why might this make a difference and wont it ask to install the newer ones anyway?
Some programs are reliant on older .Net, which is why you can have multiple .Net installations on a PC.

Its stupid (Shouldn't the latest .Net automatically be compatible with previous versions) but it's a Microsoft thing, so making sense isn't a thing they are known for.

I dont think so, but if I am being honest I am not sure. I have Windows 11 Pro and is it something that would be installed by default? I didn't enable any encryption during Windows install. But WIndows has so many stupid "features" turned on and off, that I can't say for sure.
You haven't responded back on this whether or not this worked. Have you implored this one?

A fresh window install. Up to date drivers and windows updated as well.

I'm almost sure you'll waste less time doing this than looking for the technical reasons behind your problems
At this point i would say yes and then leave automatic updating off and installing manually. Same with the router. It automatically updates firmware? How about you disable that too. This is now about lining down the exact issue so variables need to be eradicated.

I did a fresh install not too long ago. The issue disappeared and recently came back.
How recent are we talking? Because if you knew exact dates, you can then use that to see what Windows did on that day.

One user mentioned a W11 update enabling Bitlocker. Did you check that out?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Ah yes, all those early access 100 hero shooter games, space sims that will never get finished, f2p battle royales, hentai visual novels and so many others lol.
Keep delivering ignorance. All that poop IQ, input lagged, 30fps, poor/handicapped controls games are all amazing just because we only press one button and play.

Last edited:

Antwix

I am NOT using a VPN. I am quite frankly surprised that nobody has asked that.
I use a VPN 100% of the time on PC and Steam has never given me an issue with it, unlike certain random websites. But your issue seems like a network issue with steam itself as opposed to hardware stuff like others are mentioning.

One thing that helped me a long while back is deleting a file (and letting steam regenerate it). It adds steam CDN sites on it and maybe those are conflicting with your network or something. I'm not sure if this gets deleted or retained on a steam reinstall though so not sure if it'll help.
The file is "localconfig.vdf" located in X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\########\config. It'll get regenerated on steam launch.

One other random thing to try is to force steam to run on tcp instead of udp. You can add " -tcp" on the end of the target location via right-clicking > properties on the Steam shortcut.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This may not be a good thing. I encountered numerous problems with my Asus modem on new firmwares and reverted to older versions. I stopped updating the firmware altogether after that. Search for your modem's most stable firmware and switch to it.
Its an ATT proprietary modem. There is no firmware that can offered.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Even SSD's can have wrongful bits which go corrupt. It might that Steam consistently tries to access that corrupt area..

Some programs are reliant on older .Net, which is why you can have multiple .Net installations on a PC.

Its stupid (Shouldn't the latest .Net automatically be compatible with previous versions) but it's a Microsoft thing, so making sense isn't a thing they are known for.

You haven't responded back on this whether or not this worked. Have you implored this one?

At this point i would say yes and then leave automatic updating off and installing manually. Same with the router. It automatically updates firmware? How about you disable that too. This is now about lining down the exact issue so variables need to be eradicated.

How recent are we talking? Because if you knew exact dates, you can then use that to see what Windows did on that day.

One user mentioned a W11 update enabling Bitlocker. Did you check that out?
Bitlocker is not enabled on my PC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I use a VPN 100% of the time on PC and Steam has never given me an issue with it, unlike certain random websites. But your issue seems like a network issue with steam itself as opposed to hardware stuff like others are mentioning.

One thing that helped me a long while back is deleting a file (and letting steam regenerate it). It adds steam CDN sites on it and maybe those are conflicting with your network or something. I'm not sure if this gets deleted or retained on a steam reinstall though so not sure if it'll help.
The file is "localconfig.vdf" located in X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\########\config. It'll get regenerated on steam launch.

One other random thing to try is to force steam to run on tcp instead of udp. You can add " -tcp" on the end of the target location via right-clicking > properties on the Steam shortcut.
That's definitely interesting. I'll give it a try.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well...the option I tried was disabling Steam at startup and just opening it when I want to game.

When I opened Steam, everything worked as normal. Maybe it is something to do with how Steam loads and the firewall or something initializes after it. Who fucking knows?...

No, I am not using anything other than Windows Defender.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I LOVE PC gaming and it is an absolute joy, but there are a lot of stupid and annoying headaches to deal with.

For example...I have been playing Elden Ring with HDR enabled and it looks amazing.

Then....all of the sudden...out of the blue...it has become mega washed out, while all my settings in game and windows are the same. HDR just decided to break itself for no apparent reason...

I don't fucking get it. Why does shit just stop working. Im not gonna deal with that in this thread...but holy fuck.

PC gaming is great, but once you have to start troubleshooting....it can be a miserable experience.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

i can go on forever. I prefer to get out of bed, take a shit and press one button on my consoles and im in the game.
Then the game looks like someone smeared vaseline on the screen because the dev thought TXAA looked amazing, its running at stuttery 25-27 fps with input lag since they turned on V-sync despite the game being unable to hold 30 fps on unoptimized ultra shadows settings, and you aren't allowed to change anything because fuck you that's how you'll play the game.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Then the game looks like someone smeared vaseline on the screen because the dev thought TXAA looked amazing, its running at stuttery 25-27 fps with input lag since they turned on V-sync despite the game being unable to hold 30 fps on unoptimized ultra shadows settings, and you aren't allowed to change anything because fuck you that's how you'll play the game.
Yeah...if you're trying to play a PS5-built game on a PS4 then yeah, you will get that issues. But how many games on console is that really truly an accurate description for? I have yet to play a game on my PS5 that runs truly poorly. To be fair, I have avoided games that have known performance issues (Dragons Dogma for example), but that has shitty performance on a PC. Most games that have poor performance on console, also have poor performance on PC.

FYI, I am well aware you can't play PS5 games on a PS4. Duh. I am talking about games that are built with current gen hardware in mind and then ported to last gen.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

To be fair, I have avoided games that have known performance issues (Dragons Dogma for example),

I am talking about games that are built with current gen hardware in mind and then ported to last gen.
"You just have to press a button bro. Oh! Except that's only true for these specific X or Y games."

I can use the exact same mentality for countless PC games.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Alright guys, I haven't "fixed" the problem, but found a way to treat the sympton. I have restarted my computer multiple times and it appears that the solution that works is to simply not have Steam autostart on boot and then manually start it.

Kind of annoying, but starting up Steam manually isn't the end of the world.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Alright guys, I haven't "fixed" the problem, but found a way to treat the sympton. I have restarted my computer multiple times and it appears that the solution that works is to simply not have Steam autostart on boot and then manually start it.

I haven't tried this myself, but I think it might help to start it with a delay.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I tried this. Does the -upd go inside or out side of the "" ?

Having said that, before I tried to above.
The issue is back again. Not running it at startup does help when starting it for the first time, but after a few hours of Elden Ring the cloud save won't upload.

At this point, I am just going to accept that it can't be fixed and that Steam and my system simply aren't going to play as nice as they should.

And no, I am not going to do a fresh install of windows. It's simply not worth it.

Last edited:

Yerd

The issue is back again. Not running it at startup does help when starting it for the first time, but after a few hours of Elden Ring the cloud save won't upload.

At this point, I am just going to accept that it can't be fixed and that Steam and my system simply aren't going to play as nice as they should.

And no, I am not going to do a fresh install of windows. It's simply not worth it.
Is this a different error? Or the same "no download source" error comes back?
If it's just uploading to the cloud is the issue, I'd be willing to bet there's a lot more solutions out there.

SHA

I swear this shit is pissing me the fuck off. ONLY Steam has this issue and it has been a recurrent issue and it seemed like a network issue, but it has something to do with the way it is interacting with windows. GOG, Gamepass, EA, and even Epic don't have this issue.
1. Steam games simply will not start UNLESS I clear the download cache and restart. Then everything works fine for a little while. See the screenshot below. This happens whenever I start Steam from Windows.
2. Cloud Sync errors.
3. Game backup doesn't work. It just instantly stops at 0. See second screenshot.

cUo9ceQ.png

gqGMbND.jpeg

All of these issues go away (at least temporarily) once I Clear Download Cache. I can play games and I can do backups once I do that.

"Ok, so what's the big deal?"

It's simple, there is no rhyme or reason, why Steam should have to be restarted at least once before I can even use it. None. It's frustrating and it's annoying. Having to clear cache and do a restart should be a "once in a blue moon" type of fix, but I have to do this every fucking time and I am just plain tired of it.

I'd love to hear some suggestions, thoughts on what could be causing this. I am open to outside the box solutions.

I am tired of constantly having to treat the symptom. I'd like to figure out how to treat the problem.
Desktop is frustrating, I recommend consoles or a gaming laptop cause it's lighter and more friendly, desktops compared to laptops are like comparing assembled recycled garbage and handcrafted piece of art, a legit masterpiece, people tend to forget and look just for numbers cause desktops will stay the same until we hear about the hybrid pc console cause it'll solve the problem definitely, until then nothing will change.

reinking

Gold Member

That is what I do anyway. Too many launchers these days.

Antwix

outside of quotes

Capture.jpg

Translation "I have no idea about pc gaming but that doesn`t keep me from complaining about it"

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I LOVE PC gaming and it is an absolute joy, but there are a lot of stupid and annoying headaches to deal with.

For example...I have been playing Elden Ring with HDR enabled and it looks amazing.

Then....all of the sudden...out of the blue...it has become mega washed out, while all my settings in game and windows are the same. HDR just decided to break itself for no apparent reason...
That actually used to happen with my old "HDR" monitor.

But once I got my new QD-OLED it never happened again. No more of the odd second or two long mode switching either. W11 HDR is basically completely seamless now.

Elden Ring is a little eccentric though, it demands exclusive full-screen to do HDR where most new games don't.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
have you tried turning your fire wall and defender then seeing if that resolves the issue? It could have been a windows update blocking things it shouldn't

Labadal

If it's an account issue, try creating a dummy account, and download free games.

Try your account on a different PC.

Zathalus

Have you actually tried eliminating the likely culprits at all? Disk, memory, and network? Have you checked your event logs? Enabled verbose logging? If you are not going to follow basic troubleshooting procedure then you are just making this harder on yourself.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That actually used to happen with my old "HDR" monitor.

But once I got my new QD-OLED it never happened again. No more of the odd second or two long mode switching either. W11 HDR is basically completely seamless now.

Elden Ring is a little eccentric though, it demands exclusive full-screen to do HDR where most new games don't.
I have the Alienware QD-OLED 240Hz 32 inch.
It's back to working. WIndows HDR is a bitch, as it randomly works and doesnt. Often when I exit games, the Windows will end up being mega washed out or dark and I have to turn HDR off and on to get it to work. One major thing I did was download an ICC profile that fixes the gamma for SDR content and it has been a godsend in terms of how everything looks. SDR content looks normal. The biggest issue with Windows HDR is how some games implement it. SOme games require windows HDR to be on to work. Other games, can be turned on and off regardless of whether it is enabled in Windows.

How I got it back to working was I downloaded a program called Display Profile that automatically adjust the color profile and I set it back to my preferred profile and ELden RIng looks normal again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom