• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WHat is wrong with my Steam account?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Have you tried to Revo uninstall and delete all cached files, even those in the registry. Install as admin and see what happens. Maybe it’s leaving traces of 💩that’s getting messed up.

From the photos I see possibly a data center needs changing. That all seems network related, so it doesn’t describe the restarts.

Do you see any crashes in Reliability Viewer in Windows? Anything crashing in Event Viewer? Sometimes programs need to be run as admin during a complete install. I’d honestly think it’s keeping some junk on your PC after you uninstall.

Revo has a free tool you can use. It’ll scan and remove everything it finds. Do a reboot after it finishes and then do a fresh install/run as admin.

Last edited:

Hoddi

My advice is to install the Steam application itself to something like D:\Steam and then use a different folder like D:\SteamLibrary for your games. The Steam application stores almost all of its settings in the install folder itself and doesn't really write much outside of that which makes it very easy to nuke the whole thing from your system. Done this way, you can just delete/rename the folder before reinstalling it and it will have the same effect as having freshly formatted Windows.

Installing Steam into C:\Program Files\ is just asking for trouble.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
WELL....GODDAMN FUCK....Reinstalling Steam didn't fix the fucking issue.

The shit fucking pisses me off.

Why in the goddamn fuck cant shit JUST WORK?!

iD8ECG4.png

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My advice is to install the Steam application itself to something like D:\Steam and then use a different folder like D:\SteamLibrary for your games. The Steam application stores almost all of its settings in the install folder itself and doesn't really write much outside of that which makes it very easy to nuke the whole thing from your system. Done this way, you can just delete/rename the folder before reinstalling it and it will have the same effect as having freshly formatted Windows.

That WAS how it was setup. I did have Steam installed on a separate drive. It was literally installed on my gaming 4TB NVME. That's where the issue started. This was talked about quite a bit in the later comments.

Others suggested that I install Steam on the main C drive. So I uninstalled Steam (not deleting my game folders, but moving the Common folder out of the steam directory) and reinstalled on the C-drive. I told Steam to install games on the Gaming M.2, so I just moved the common folder in there. After some work, Steam eventually recognized those games. It was honestly a much bigger pain in the ass than it should have been.

Guess what? Installing it on main drive hasn't fixed the issue.
Have you tried to Revo uninstall and delete all cached files, even those in the registry. Install as admin and see what happens. Maybe it’s leaving traces of 💩that’s getting messed up.

From the photos I see possibly a data center needs changing. That all seems network related, so it doesn’t describe the restarts.

Do you see any crashes in Reliability Viewer in Windows? Anything crashing in Event Viewer? Sometimes programs need to be run as admin during a complete install. I’d honestly think it’s keeping some junk on your PC after you uninstall.

Revo has a free tool you can use. It’ll scan and remove everything it finds. Do a reboot after it finishes and then do a fresh install/run as admin.

When i uninstalled Steam, I used Revo and removed every trace of it. The only thing I kept was the common folder that had my games in it. The games were installed on my 4TB game drive and the common folder from the original installation was just moved the Steam Library location.

No crashes of any kind. Just Steam being a little bitch.

In regards to being network related. Yes, that seems to be the culprit, but I am not sure. Because of the issue of games not being able to backup has nothing to do with the network.

As I said, no other launcher has this issue. Games install, upload to the cloud and download just fine. It has something specifically to do with Steam. It seems like WIndows is denying steam to permission to do things. But after a restart that permission is given.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I've never heard of anyone having trouble installing the program itself to C:\Program Files. That's where all programs go. Steam settings are pretty much all in the cloud anyway (and if not it takes about 2 minutes to set them all to your liking), and if the games are in a separate install folder. The only thing I had to do on a fresh Win install was add a new library location, which was when it picked up my games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
"Joey" basically told me to keep doing what I was doing.
But we are getting somewhere in indicating that somehow Steam fails to find data required. Ok, so why is that happening.....
m7iAfHY.jpeg

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Labadal

Dude, I already have STeam installed on a non-OS drive.
I only have two drives and I don't have enough space on my main OS drive to install Steam and I would never want games on my main OS drive anyway.

I would be open to installing Steam itself on my main drive IF I could install the games on my dedicated gaming drive. To my knowledge Steam forces all games to be installed in the same directory as Steam.
It does not. I have Steam installed in my C drive, and when I install games, it suggests my C drive, but I always install my games on my D drive.

SScorpio

It does not. I have Steam installed in my C drive, and when I install games, it suggests my C drive, but I always install my games on my D drive.
In the Steam client go to Settings -> Storage. At the top of the screen is a drop down to select a drive. The ". . ." button opens a menu, if you select your D drive that menu will give you a "Make Default" option. It will then default to the D drive when you start any new installs.

oneran

I have not....why might this make a difference and wont it ask to install the newer ones anyway?
Had an issue with steam getting remote play to work, having the older .NET Framework fixed it for me.

Have you also tried turning off the File Transfer over Local Network setting in steam?

Steam Settings > Downloads > Game File Transfer over Local Network

DaGwaphics

Do you have any kind of data encryption running on the drive. The EA app was giving me grief on an NVMe with bitlocker running (kept saying I had data corruption problems), after disabling everything works fine.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Do you have any kind of data encryption running on the drive. The EA app was giving me grief on an NVMe with bitlocker running (kept saying I had data corruption problems), after disabling everything works fine.
I dont think so, but if I am being honest I am not sure. I have Windows 11 Pro and is it something that would be installed by default? I didn't enable any encryption during Windows install. But WIndows has so many stupid "features" turned on and off, that I can't say for sure.

Roni

Gold Member
The fact this has gone away in the past for you indicates you're changing something in your computer that's causing this. I'd wager on a Windows feature since only reinstalling it fixed it for you... Are you the only admin of the machine?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Had an issue with steam getting remote play to work, having the older .NET Framework fixed it for me.

Have you also tried turning off the File Transfer over Local Network setting in steam?

Steam Settings > Downloads > Game File Transfer over Local Network
We will see if that works.

I also switched my region from Dallas to Houston. I doubt this will do anything, but who knows maybe it could. I am NOT using a VPN. I am quite frankly surprised that nobody has asked that.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You should either ask on the Steam subreddit or on the Steam forums (I bet there is a subforum on Steam for technical questions). You are much more likely to find helpful advice over there.
Made a post in the reddit forum. DOesn't seem like its very active over there.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I dont think so, but if I am being honest I am not sure. I have Windows 11 Pro and is it something that would be installed by default? I didn't enable any encryption during Windows install. But WIndows has so many stupid "features" turned on and off, that I can't say for sure.
The latest windows 11 update will enable bitlocker. You can check and see if bitlocker is on by opening CMD as an admin and run the command "manage-bde -status". Look for "Lock Status", if locked then disable bitlocker, reboot, then test steam again.

Never had any problems with Steam personally and I've been using it since I got Half-Life 2 back in 2013 (2014?) which required it to be installed for the first time. Of all the launchers, Steam is easily the most stable and is far cry from Epic's launcher and the god-awful Xbox one that just never works properly on my system. I'm on Windows 11 Pro 24H2 now.

I have Steam itself installed to the C drive but all the game libraries are on other drives (13 of 'em!). I don't install games to my Windows drive out of habit; that is just for Windows, game launchers and other non-games applications.

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling Steam as an administrator and see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't then that would suggest that the issue isn't with Steam but with the way you have your PC setup. You could try creating a new user account in Windows and see if Steam works from there?

WELL....GODDAMN FUCK....Reinstalling Steam didn't fix the fucking issue.

The shit fucking pisses me off.

Why in the goddamn fuck cant shit JUST WORK?!

iD8ECG4.png
Bruh, the random bs that comes with PC gaming, like what you're dealing with, is why I could never fully commit to it. I just don't have the patience for it. Feel your pain brother.

JCK75

So whenever I have any kind of issues with downloads/game services the first thing I check is to make sure windows firewall is disabled. it just gives me nothing but grief.

But also look here

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I swear this shit is pissing me the fuck off. ONLY Steam has this issue and it has been a recurrent issue and it seemed like a network issue, but it has something to do with the way it is interacting with windows. GOG, Gamepass, EA, and even Epic don't have this issue.
1. Steam games simply will not start UNLESS I clear the download cache and restart. Then everything works fine for a little while. See the screenshot below. This happens whenever I start Steam from Windows.
2. Cloud Sync errors.
3. Game backup doesn't work. It just instantly stops at 0. See second screenshot.

cUo9ceQ.png

gqGMbND.jpeg

All of these issues go away (at least temporarily) once I Clear Download Cache. I can play games and I can do backups once I do that.

"Ok, so what's the big deal?"

It's simple, there is no rhyme or reason, why Steam should have to be restarted at least once before I can even use it. None. It's frustrating and it's annoying. Having to clear cache and do a restart should be a "once in a blue moon" type of fix, but I have to do this every fucking time and I am just plain tired of it.

I'd love to hear some suggestions, thoughts on what could be causing this. I am open to outside the box solutions.

I am tired of constantly having to treat the symptom. I'd like to figure out how to treat the problem.
It's all those hentai games

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So whenever I have any kind of issues with downloads/game services the first thing I check is to make sure windows firewall is disabled. it just gives me nothing but grief.

But also look here

This might have worked. I started Steam and it didn't have any wackiness going on.

EDIT:
WELP...

spoke too soon. Didn't work.

Fuck everything.

Last edited:

Paulistano

We will see if that works.

I also switched my region from Dallas to Houston. I doubt this will do anything, but who knows maybe it could. I am NOT using a VPN. I am quite frankly surprised that nobody has asked that.
Did you try changing the Steam server in settings?

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Try it on another machine, or harddisk, or Os(linux). I don't think there is an issue with Steam because someone mentioned that he didn't experience such a problem on the Steam Deck.

DaGwaphics

It sounds like a storage issue, have you tried backing up the data and reformatting the target drive? Maybe take a look at the SMART data also.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It sounds like a storage issue, have you tried backing up the data and reformatting the target drive? Maybe take a look at the SMART data also.
A storage issue would manifest itself in other programs, too. I've gamed in every launcher so far. None have the issue. Only Steam.

Also, the Steam installation has been moved between the main M.2 and the gaming M.2. The games themselves will remain on the Gaming M.2.
Try it on another machine, or harddisk, or Os(linux). I don't think there is an issue with Steam because someone mentioned that he didn't experience such a problem on the Steam Deck.
It has been.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
never fails. Youtube videos are playing. GOG downloads and uploads just fine.
BVlKpAK.jpeg

But Steam just wants to be a little c**t

Close steam and restart and boom....
Pk4dSqZ.jpeg

I don't get it....I don't fucking get it.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'll see if disabling Steam on startup will fix the issue. In fact I think I will disable all my launchers on startup.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
A fresh window install. Up to date drivers and windows updated as well.

I'm almost sure you'll waste less time doing this than looking for the technical reasons behind your problems

phant0m

gonna go out on a limb and say try setting your DNS on network adapter (wired or wireless, whatever you use) to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
gonna go out on a limb and say try setting your DNS on network adapter (wired or wireless, whatever you use) to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
I tried that a while back....no dice. It's still set that way.

One thing I haven't tried is what is suggested here:

Apparently Steam Ipv6 support is limited and that disabling ipv6 and only using ipv4 can fix steam issues.

Yes, I am aware that this is specific to Steam Deck, but there was a mention of someone having a similar issues on PC Steam. I just cant find the thread.

Not real comfortable doing that as I'd be worried about compromising too many other things.

Last edited:

SScorpio

Either that or something in the HOSTS file. I wouldn't be surprised if it came out there was a pirated game where the installer disabled Steam access to make the game work that is causing all the issues.

phant0m

I tried that a while back....no dice. It's still set that way.

One thing I haven't tried is what is suggested here:

Apparently Steam Ipv6 support is limited and that disabling ipv6 and only using ipv4 can fix steam issues.

Yes, I am aware that this is specific to Steam Deck, but there was a mention of someone having a similar issues on PC Steam. I just cant find the thread.

Not real comfortable doing that as I'd be worried about compromising too many other things.

damn

in regards to ipv6, it's very safe to disable. I have it disabled at my router so I don't have to bother with each device but it honestly fucks more things up when it's enabled vs not

raduque

Dude, I already have STeam installed on a non-OS drive.
I only have two drives and I don't have enough space on my main OS drive to install Steam and I would never want games on my main OS drive anyway.

I would be open to installing Steam itself on my main drive IF I could install the games on my dedicated gaming drive. To my knowledge Steam forces all games to be installed in the same directory as Steam.
Steam has been able to use multiple drives for decades now. How do you not know this?

Yerd

Try installing a very small game on the OS drive and luanching.

Have you tried launching a game in offline mode?

Akuji

Have you tried to Update the Firmware on your Router and then do a factory reset ?

I dont think its a hardware Problem now checking if the error is in the PC or the Connection to the PC.

Hoddi

I've never heard of anyone having trouble installing the program itself to C:\Program Files. That's where all programs go. Steam settings are pretty much all in the cloud anyway (and if not it takes about 2 minutes to set them all to your liking), and if the games are in a separate install folder. The only thing I had to do on a fresh Win install was add a new library location, which was when it picked up my games.
Installing into C:\Program Files is normally fine but it's when you need to troubleshoot an issue that it can complicate things. It's a protected folder that requires elevation to write to which Windows usually solves by redirecting writes into the AppData folder in your user profile. So, if you have a borked settings file then it won't likely reside in C:\Program Files\Steam but in \userprofile\AppData.

This can be a problem when troubleshooting because uninstalling Steam won't delete those files from the AppData folder. Those files will still be there after reinstalling and would simply leave you in the same spot as before.

I've no idea if this is JohnnyFootball JohnnyFootball 's issue but he mentioned that reformatting tends to solve the problem. It might be worth creating a new Windows profile in order to isolate the issue where if it doesn't then it's a strong hint that the problem lies in the Steam folder itself.

Top Bottom