• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite chicken finger/strip of them all (bought or home cooked)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

We have a little drive-in restaurant in my home town that has been around for years, and their most popular item for the past 50 years or so has been their chicken fingers (with gravy and fries). They seemed baked instead of fried I believe, and had a very specific taste to them - spicy, but not hot, simply flavorful. My cousin was in town the other day, so we decided to go there with my wife so she could try them for the first time, and when they brought our order they were totally different. Long story short, the distributor discontinued them, and now I say RIP to the best chicken strip I've ever had. I'd love to be able to recreate it at home, but I know none of you can help me with that since I have no clue how to describe them.

I decided to cook some at home the other night, and while not tasting even remotely like the ones above, they were pretty great. They tasted like a mixture of a homemade Zaxby's strip with maybe a tiny bit of CFA mixed in. I soaked them in milk, then egg, then rolled them in a mixture of flour/sugar/paprika/garlic powder/dried basil/salt/pepper. A few potatoes later and I had some pretty good chicken strips with some fried sliced potatoes.

Anyway, I'm just wondering what your favorite chicken finger/strip is, either bought in a restaurant or some you have cooked at home. There are way too many bland and crappy ones out there, and very few places seem to get them right. Are there any frozen ones that are even worth trying? Got any great recipes?

My favorite at a restaurant is at another local place owned by a man from the middle east, and he calls them "Arabian Rooster fried chicken strips". I have no clue what is in them, but they are unlike any other. He also has fried chicken, but the strips pretty much taste the same, only boneless. Of the places you may know? Eh, I guess either Zaxby's or CFA.

CrankyJay

Banned
For home bought: Barber's Italian Style are the best I've ever had

0007346196508_A

450 at 12-13 per side for a total of 25-26 minutes.

For restaurant: Tully's Chicken Tenders

TNHO2WJSTG5U0LHV.gif

I've never had a home cooked chicken tender.

I've never had a resturaunt/fast food checken tender that I didn't like though and I don't care for most fried chicken.

Bought: Local place called Huey Magoo's. Sogood.

I really don't make them at home, but I actually did last night as part of a chicken parm dish. They were good I guess, but I'd still prefer Huey's.

Downhome

I'm such a sucker for trying new chicken strips at restaurants. Nothing is worse than when I order them up and they bring me those generic strips that every other place seems to have - those tasteless, long and flat, obviously reheated or microwaved frozen crap that they sell just to have it on the menu, usually for kids. I'm sure you know the kinds I'm talking about.

Chicken strips are serious business. :p

SolKane

Bought: Local place called Huey Magoo's. Sogood.

I really don't make them at home, but I actually did last night as part of a chicken parm dish. They were good I guess, but I'd still prefer Huey's.

You in Orlando? I used to go Huey Magoo's all the time. <3 that BBQ sauce.

lil smoke

Banned
In NY Times Square there is a place called Schnippers.

Absolute best chicken fingers I've ever had. Substantial cuts of tender white meat not overpowered but a perfectly seasoned crunchy coating. So good you don't need sauce. Comes with fries for a decent price for the location.

Any other NYkr been there? Everything else sucks imo.

I love the ones like Dairy Queen's Buffalo ones, where they put the hot sauce on before they fry them.

(Dairy Queen isn't the best, for the record, just the easiest go to for the ones I like)

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Absolute best chicken fingers I've ever had. Substantial cuts of tender white meat not overpowered but a perfectly seasoned crunchy coating. So good you don't need sauce. Comes with fries for a decent price for the location.

that place in the NY Times building? Across from Port Authority? ehhhhhh, haven't been so I cant judge.

All forms of Fried Food, including Cap'n Crunch Chicken Fingers at Queens Comfort in Astoria are godly.

I've been there before but I've never had the chicken fingers, everything seemed ok but it wasn't anything special. I'll have to try them next time.

Cagey

Banned
The fast food place Raising Cane's has some truly excellent chicken fingers. I wish there was one in my town.

The Right Answer. Whenever I visit a buddy in Charlottesville, I feast. Wish this place would expand into the NJ-NY area.

In New York, there's a place called Sticky Fingerz. A bit expensive, but great chicken fingers because their ingredients are high quality.

Shit, do they? I don't think I've tried them there, and I am a chicken finger fiend. I thought the other stuff there was decent.

Other NYC answer: Hill Country Chicken. Fuck me, their chicken tenders are dangerous.

I've been to the one on 23rd Street. (Didn't know there was one in Times Square!) The chicken fingers are pretty much the only things I buy from them.

As for fast food, for some reason Arby's was the punchline to every fast food joke, but goddamn I could have lived on their chicken fingers.

Well not literally, because it would have killed me. But you know what I mean.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
YBoUvyP.jpg

+ the white gravy that appears to be unique to Austin (maybe Texas)
Everyone says this, maybe the Popeyes by me just sucks, but I've never found them impressive. By far the best chicken finges I've ever had, large, tender and always hot, come from
tumblr_m17bz7GwaI1qdgqklo1_500.jpg

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
It fucking hurts because I despise their owners views on a lot of subjects but I gotta go with Chick-fil-a here. Haven't had any in quite a while.

SolKane

Don't understand these folks saying Raising Cane's. I think I consumed the blandest meal in my life there. If it's the only option in your area, I pity you.

depths20XX

Culvers used to have pretty good buffalo chicken strips but the one near me changed them up and they don't have the awesome breading anymore and the chicken is totally different...They suck now.

Malvolio

One of the few weaknesses I have for fast food is Long John Silvers chicken strips with a side of hush puppies. They aren't even that good, but for some reason I fell compelled to have them a few times a year.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Banquet's Boneless Buffalo Wyngz (ugh, that EXTREME spelling) are the only frozen chicken I've found that doesn't taste like shit outta my toaster oven. Tyson's breading tastes like shit (only the Southern Style Tenderloins are somewhat tolerable) and everything else from Banquet is bland as fuck.

Banquet's Boneless Buffalo Wyngz (ugh, that EXTREME spelling) are the only frozen chicken I've found that doesn't taste like shit outta my toaster oven. Tyson's breading tastes like shit (only the Southern Style Tenderloins are somewhat tolerable) and everything else from Banquet is bland as fuck.

They're called Wyngz for a reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyngz

Wyngz is a chicken food product that is in the shape of a chicken wing or a bite-size appetizer-type product, but is not actually a wing.

Heh, I know. I had this discussion with a friend at the store the other day when I was buying some. They should just call them "chicken fingers" or "chicken nuggets" or something.

That would make sense to me, when I see "Wyngz" I instantly assume it's using the worst possible meat.

Mission

I think the "made-in-house" ones are always better. I even like a variety of them. Mostly the lighter the breading the better.

Here in Winnipeg we have some standouts:

1. Mitzi's - a fairly old place owned by a "should almost be retired" chinese lady. The chicken is really light, the strips are thin, and they have their own breading, which is pretty crunchy and leaves a pile of little crumbly bits (this seems to be common of the ones I like best). Most people go there for the chicken fingers. She's also got her own honey dill sauce which is a bit creamier than most.

2. The Elephant and Castle - a english style pub chain which also has places in Vancouver and a few other cities. It's not on the menu, but you can request beer battered chicken strips. These are fat like the storebought strips but light and flakey like a good fish fry.

3. The Lineup / Bordegos - used to just be the Lineup but the two partners split and each have a place now. These are thin cutlets... about 1/3 inch with again a crispy / crumbly batter, so they don't have to fry it long. Ends up crispy and tender.

As far as at home, I only make the ones from M&M Meatshops (www.mmmeatshops.com) which are Canada wide. Again with the crumbly breading. I bake those, though I wonder how good they would be if I deep fried them instead. Definitely healthier this way.

akira28

Popeye's tenders are completely underwhelming. They look so good, yet taste so bland. Like they should have added more spices and let them crisp up a little more in the oil.

idlewild_

Everyone says this, maybe the Popeyes by me just sucks, but I've never found them impressive. By far the best chicken finges I've ever had, large, tender and always hot, come from
tumblr_m17bz7GwaI1qdgqklo1_500.jpg

It's all in the sauce man. I don't find the tenders themselves to be much better than other places, but that sauce just takes it to another level.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Don't understand these folks saying Raising Cane's. I think I consumed the blandest meal in my life there. If it's the only option in your area, I pity you.

Raising Canes with the sauce: Incredible
Raising Canes without the sauce: Plain, dry chicken

Did you guys accidentally drive into a KFC thinking it was Cane's? Canes always has juicy, steamy tenders. Meat isn't bland at all.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's all in the sauce man. I don't find the tenders themselves to be much better than other places, but that sauce just takes it to another level.

Maybe I've just never been to a good fried chicken place then, or maybe the Canes by me is really good, but I've never had strips as tender as theirs anywhere else.

Brussels

I buy Cajun Shake n' Bake and cut skinless chicken breasts into strips.

add some ranch sauce, it's amaze. and not bad at all for you either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom