• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of RPG are the Dragon Quest games?

SantaC

I have to admit that I have bever played a dragon quest game even though had a NES back in the days(+ that I love RPGs). I am interested in Dragon Quest 8, but what type of RPG is it? How does it differ from etc the FF games? I know the Japanese are crazy in the DQ franchise.

When is DQ8 coming out, and is it coming out to the US? (I know that some of the DQ gamers never reached the west)

They're very boring. The only title in the series I got into was Slime Mori Mori, and that's because it is NOTHING like the main games. I bought and trudged through Caravan Heart until Chapter 6, and damn is it a letdown. I was on a high after Slime Mori Mori so I could get through a significant amount just on my recent pleasure. But really, the games a drag to play.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
They are "Console-RPGs" or more commonly known as "Turn-Based" RPGs. The original Dragon's Quest was the inspiration for Final Fantasy, atleast I think it was.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
SantaCruZer said:
So DQ8 is also turnbased? No realtime action-rpg then?
Nope.

Do try playing the original three, it's very cool to see how modern day console RPGs evolved from their original roots.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Psh to the DQ haters.

From a dedicated JP RPG lover, DQ rocks. And yes, essentially Sakaguchi took inspiration from DQ into making FF as it seemed to be doing quite successful and kids were at that stage getting rabid about it, so why not copy it with a few changes to the formula?

Of course the series is very traditional in it's own essence but I usually point that to the developers that are chosen for it. Heartbeat did a decent job in the latter runs but completely fucked itself over with DQ7. Hoping against hope that Level 5 will produce some decent magic with this sucker.. heck they have the biggest brand name of gaming in Japan, the pressure would be immense so my hopes aren't set too high ;)

SantaC

speedpop said:
Psh to the DQ haters.

From a dedicated JP RPG lover, DQ rocks. And yes, essentially Sakaguchi took inspiration from DQ into making FF as it seemed to be doing quite successful and kids were at that stage getting rabid about it, so why not copy it with a few changes to the formula?

Of course the series is very traditional in it's own essence but I usually point that to the developers that are chosen for it. Heartbeat did a decent job in the latter runs but completely fucked itself over with DQ7. Hoping against hope that Level 5 will produce some decent magic with this sucker.. heck they have the biggest brand name of gaming in Japan, the pressure would be immense so my hopes aren't set too high ;)

so is there a release date for the US?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
They're great games.

PLay DQ I Remix but avoid II Remix like the fucking plague.

V and VI will r0XX0rs j00 b0xXoRs!!!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
YUJI HORII LET ME TOUCH YOU!

IGN said:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/379/379052p1.html

Yuji Horii -- Scenario/Game Design
Born in 1954, Yuji Horii graduated from Waseda University with a bachelor's degree from the Department of Literature. He worked for some time as a freelance writer before winning an award in a 1982 Enix game programming contest, which led to his lengthy career as a designer. He is best known for the Dragon Quest series, but he has also worked on Square's Chrono Trigger and many other games for Enix.

"When I was young, I dreamed of becoming a cartoonist. I loved stories. I was 27 when I first started using computers and I was drawn in by the interactivity. I thought it would be a great storytelling device. That's where it all began. Computers are, in some ways, like paper. You can write novels on a computer. You can draw cartoons, write poetry, keep a diary, even work on a puzzle. The one thing that is missing from other media is interactivity. It won't be long before computer based works are recognized as expressions of true literature."

-- Horii's comment after reciving the Grand Prize for Interactive Digital Art from Japan's CG Arts Society, for the success of Dragon Quest VII.

Quick IGN Update on the game:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/539/539108p1.html

madara

They are a tradition that has spanned two decades. I would not remotely take any gamer seriously who did not at least respect this series. For its many fans its like returning home each time there is a new one. Now this one will have alot more new features then past ones but I bet there still be many things that continue on like theme music, etc.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
SantaCruZer said:
so is there a release date for the US?

It hasn't been announced but I'm guessing it will reach the US. All you gotta do is run an advert with the words "From the character designer of Dragon Ball!" and you might sell a few then.

Have a feeling it will be released AFTER Final Fantasy XII for US though.. which stinks.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
evilromero said:
They're very boring.
Thanks for bumping the thread.
How does it differ from etc the FF games?
No, the question is: how does FF differ from the DQ games?
Of course there were PC predecessors but the DQ series basically laid down the foundations for console RPGs. An oversimplification of the series as a whole is that they provide minimal flash, maximum content, and unprecedented musical accompanyment.

To paraphrase NextGen; when you wanted to buy only one game and needed it to last a month, you bought a DQ game.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Well the way I understand it, both those PC titles and DQ helped prove to Square's execs that FF was feasible.

Ultima shown a videogame RPG could work.
DQ shown such a game on a console could be profitable.

Yeah, I should have phrased that differently. From a marketing perspective it was a big influence, and Enix's business guys deserve credit for taking the risk and proving the market existed, but from a design perspective there was very little influence from DQ on FF. Sakaguchi, Kawazu and Tanaka were all big D&D/Apple II RPG geeks from back when, and there really isn't anything in both FF and DQ that wasn't a standard RPG element.

First was Tolkien with Lord of the Rings. Next was Gary Gygax with Dungeons and Dragons. From there came Wizardry and Ultima as PC RPGs. Then came Final Fantasy.

Dragon Quest, on the other hand, sprung almost whole cloth out of the Eastern manga tradition. DQ was undoubtedly a financial inspiration to Squaresoft. But the narrative tone, enemy designs, party system, etc. of FF is obviously an offshoot of Western RPGs and almost entirely unrelated to Dragon Quest's game mechanics.

kevm3

DQ7 was very... mediocre. I tried to shut out all the reviews that were harping on it and to enjoy it on its own merits, but I was ultimately disappointed. You definitely won't stick around for the graphics because they're quite nondescript. The music was decent.The only thing that you may like is the level of customization of your character's battle abilities. If you don't really enjoy turn-based rpgs, stay away.

Pellham

Banned
I thought DQ7 was great, but what do I know, I'm one of those people who play RPGs for things other than their graphics. :p

Mrbob

Yeah but DQ7 barely looked better than a SNES game. I don't mind not having top notch graphics, but having archaic graphics is another entire matter. Good thing Enix singed on Level 5 to do the graphics for DQ8.

ferricide

Mrbob said:
Yeah but DQ7 barely looked better than a SNES game. I don't mind not having top notch graphics, but having archaic graphics is another entire matter. Good thing Enix singed on Level 5 to do the graphics for DQ8.
personally i think it looks worse than an SNES game -- namely, dragon quest VI. yeah, wow, it's in 3D. barely. so what? that game would've been so much more bearable if it were 2D.

and there are certainly, IMO, a number of other problems with it. it's not as though the graphics are the only flaw.

jett

D-Member
Dragon Quest VII is awesome. Die haters.

Looks worse than DQ6? Bitch please. The monsters' animation is worlds ahead. :p

jett said:
Looks worse than DQ6? Bitch please. The monsters' animation is worlds ahead. :p

Sure, and the field map is so ugly and jaggie I thought Heartbeat had shit glass into my PlayStation. Which would explain the gameplay.

Pellham said:
I thought DQ7 was great, but what do I know, I'm one of those people who play RPGs for things other than their graphics. :p
Give me a break. DQ is one of those series that refuses to evolve with the industry. The only game from the series that makes any real strides in fun factor is Slime Mori Mori, one of the most brilliant games on GBA. I've watched my girlfriend play through the Japanese DQ V and VI titles, which seemed like a very dreadful task. After I convinced her to buy a GameCube with the Wind Waker she wondered why people would even want to play these (DQ) titles. I agree. After going through some of the monster titles like DQ Monsters 2 for GBA and Caravan Heart I'm not so fond of the series mainly because of its lack of interactivity and very generic progression. And for those of you who don't listen to "us haters" (whatever the fuck that means; what? we don't like you series?) are just as guilty as being blinded as the haters they denounced. And if you think for one second that we're concerned with visuals of a game over its design or gameplay then you're a fool.

Prospero

I'll happily play a game with poor graphics if it delivers excellent gameplay, but DW7 is one of the only games I've ever played where the sub-par graphics actually crippled the gameplay. Case in point: one of the main objects of the game is to collect all of the shards of some super-important McGuffin (I don't remember the name--it's been a while). Too bad the shards are small and brown, and they'll be sitting on something like a wooden table in someone's home, almost completely camouflaging them unless you keep a constant eagle eye, or you have a walkthrough at your side. It would've been the easiest thing in the world for the designers to obey the convention of practically every collectathon game of the past ten years, and put a tiny little animated sparkle on mission-critical objects to draw the eye to them. But DW7's designers couldn't be bothered.

Prospero said:
I'll happily play a game with poor graphics if it delivers excellent gameplay, but DW7 is one of the only games I've ever played where the sub-par graphics actually crippled the gameplay.

But the battle system is great!

After five hours of fetch quests, you get to enjoy the battle system! The job system opens up a mere 30 hours in! Such pacing!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I actually find something charming about playing new games using antiquated game-play. But on the same token the DQ games aren't my favorite RPGs. Well, except for DWIII, I played that game so much as a child. But who's surprised to hear that from me?

gblues

Banned
Dragon Quest/Warrior games are distinctly Japanese games. I did a little research on Japanese mythology (which was a few years ago so forgive me if I get the details wrong) but in Japanese mythology, the hero is generally a young male who uses a high degree of cunning and wit to defeat his enemies. The heroes of the Dragon Quest games are developed around this concept. For example, instead of simply swimming across the moat to reach the Dragon Lord, the hero sneaks around back using a magic bridge.

The other thing that defines a Dragon Quest game is that the NPCs mostly seem to belong where they are. They talk about random, stupid stuff just like real people probably would. The NPCs actually have a sense of humor! One scene that typefies Dragon Quest is a pair of NPCs chasing each other around in a circle, and the comedy comes from finding out who is chasing who (it's not always what you'd expect!).

The last defining factor is the combat. Dragon Quest has always been turn-based, and they have honed it to near-perfection. You have attacks that will focus on a single enemy, a single group, or every enemy; choosing the most effective attack is very rewarding. For example, Gabo's wolf cry (the one that stuns enemies for a turn) was very effective, even on several bosses (particularly the robot area).

I personally loved DW7 and finished both of the secret dungeons. I can't wait for DW8 to hit the US!

Nathan

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DQ1: Simple, dated, short. No party system, all combat is pure 1v1 affairs. Game is about gold farming and leveling your hero between very distinct map zones. Charming little world and character art tie it all together though. Very little depth to the proceedings aside from a few scant easter eggs.

DQ2: Like DQ1 but bigger, including a brand new 3-man party system. Essentially the same experience though, labyrinthine mazes and gold/experience farming are the most memorable assest of gameplay. The lategame is a tedious mix of backtracking and guesswork as you near blindly search for the next objective, I hated that.

DQ3: A pretty overhauled take on the formula. Job system introduced, sidequests, minigames, etc... Massive quest that contributes much to the meager plot of DQ1-2. Many consider it still the best in the franchise, there may be some truth in that...but I would disagree.

DQ4: Segregated chapters alter gameflow and break up monotony of plot progression. Control a laundry list of characters and heroes through unique troubles until the final act when the whole shebang ties itself together. One of the most interesting games in the franchise, certainly the most personable in the series yet. Crying shame we never got the remake.

DQ5: CATCH EM ALL!! Umm yea. Great characters, great plotline, unique monster capture thing that allows you to fight side by side finally with the slimes you spent hundreds of hours killing in the first 4 games. Regardless of that, the game serves up one awesome quest filled with rich environments and personalities. Though I have not finished this myself, I became smitten with the PS2 remake and it very well could be my personal favorite DQ game(behind DQ4).

DQ6: I've spent the least amount of time with this game overall. Only a few hours really. Graphics are some of the best on SNES, but I really don't know too much about it. Shouta...?

DQ7: Sucks. Very dry characters and plotline. The quest is massive(Finished in 90 hours earlier this March), and the game gives you plenty to do while levelling and upgrading. The dungeons are completely hit or miss, the backtracking irritable, the job system tactless, and the graphics subpar. It's not a disaster, there is still that DQ charm to be found in the richness of the NPC blather, orchestral music, and monster art. Rebuilding a broken world can evoke curiosity, but aside from DQ1's dated mechanics, this is my least favorite in the franchise.

Ecrofirt

the Dragon Quest games are awesome.

For awhile.

It's probably me, but I get bored playing them after awhile. Case in point, Dragon Warrior 3 GBA. I know I'm near the end of that game, but I have no freaking desire to play it. The turn-based stuff just gets to me after awhile.

Same thing happened with DW7.

I'll probably end up buying a PS2 to play DW8, though. That's just how I am.

Brandon F

There will be no dearth of opinions when DQ8 ships.

Major pubs and website coverage will be fairly well presented. The GAF import community will be pouring over details on everything from the quality of the instruction manual paper to the chime that evokes a successful save at the church. You'll have all the info you need to formulate a decision come November.

Brandon F

JackFrost2012 said:
which will be sampled directly from the NES sound chip lest Hino san's head end up on a platter

No doubt. The amount of endorphin fluids released among fanbois when that familiar jingle was heard in the DQ8 promo movie could have very well drowned Atlantis...again.

firex

Personally I think DQ is the second best console RPG series, with the best being Phantasy Star. I liked 7 but I could see how it could get on some people's nerves. But my favorite of all the ones I've played to completion is probably either 3 or 6 (I haven't beaten 4 or 5).

The series is very traditional, but IMO it's way better put together than most other console RPGs out there.

Of course the amount of tradition in the series goes down to the fact that Dragon Quest VII's townspeople are sprites stolen right out of the SNES Dragon Quest III remake.

7 is just massively flawed... and the problem is that it sold better than most of the NES versions thanks to the PSX's userbase and the rapid emergence of popularity of RPGs. So a large portion of people base their entire view of the series on one single game; a game many DQ fans even admit isn't that special overall. To base anything simply on that is rather ridiculous, I think. |Then you have V and VI which most people haven't even played at all for obvious reasons. The same thing was happening with people who cite FF as their favorite series, but then haven't played anything before VII.

I've been playing the games since DW was first released here. I picked up all the Game Boy and NES renditions of it that were officially released here and have gone through the fan translations. While I'm not sure that it's my favorite series, it's definitely up near the top. It's probably a bit more of an impact for me because I've played alongside the series as console RPGs have grown up.

I'm assuming this thread is in relation mostly to the upcoming DQ8. I don't know that anyone can truly say it's going to have these same problems. What I've seen has been a perfect meld of nostalgic/classic elements and modern elements. This is something DQ7 was supposed to accomplish, but it took so long to come out that it was even more archaic than it should have been. The only polished aspect was the enemy animation, and even that is decent in the GBC port of DQIII.

I can only assume that most people here have not seen any more of this game than I have (previews, those huge movies put out, scans, etc). From what I have seen, the game seems to put a very decent amount of effort into the characters... there are some rather impressive scenes even just in the few videos shown thus far. And even though they are so stereotypical-DBZ in design, I don't really dislike any of them (even if the main guy is a bit generic).

Plus I'm going to go with my gut and just assume this will have a far better translation. I figured Enix would do a wonderful job after Valkyrie Profile, but I was wrong. VII was marred with dull dialogue and typos. I think it really helped bring the final product down for me. I don't expect VIII to have these problems.

I'm going to buy it either way, but I do expect it to fix a lot of the problems that were created in 7... mostly because they were problems that were rectified in 5 and 6. 7 was a backstep in many ways. I don't feel it's adequate to base your entire thoughts of the series upon.

Actually, I haven't even played DQVII. I'm basing my assessment off of the first three from the NES, Monsters 2 for GBC, Slime Mori Mori and Caravan Heart for GBA. The other times I watch my girlfriend playing them on her Super Famicom. And since she completely understands the context in which it was written I can find out far easier her views and ideas on the game. To me, it's a game that certain gamers have stuck with more or less, as a way to identify themselves with a niche culture (outside of Japan of course). I don't argue that at the time the DQ games were really a lot of fun. Especially because the players used their imaginations to maginfy the gaming world surrounding them (much in the way Pokemon does today). But beyond DQV it seems the series has regressed instead of moving forward. It appears DQ8 is going to solve that problem with a very modern offering but I just feel the series is far overrated (except for my goty Slime Mori Mori).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Semjaza Azazel said:
I don't know that anyone can truly say it's going to have these same problems.
Ok I give up, I'm really Yuji Horii. THIS GAME WILL BE THE EMBODIMENT OF PERFECTION!

Here's a picture of me, Sugiyama, and Sakaguchi (left to right) talking about GAF as proof:
TekunoHorii.jpg

belgurdo

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Ok I give up, I'm really Yuji Horii. THIS GAME WILL BE THE EMBODIMENT OF PERFECTION!

Here's a picture of me, Sugiyama, and Sakaguchi (left to right) talking about GAF as proof:
TekunoHorii.jpg

Permission to use this picture in any and all "Hey! A popular game just came out; let's bitch about every insignificant flaw in it" threads, sir

ferricide

the big problem with DWVII was how wearing it is... i mean, just the little things. for example, it takes 13 button presses to save your game because they couldn't be arsed to evolve beyond 'talk to the priest and watch him spew generic dialogue' instead of just having a contemporary save point. that's just one small example of the dozens of ways in which the series stolidly refuses to evolve.

i have higher hopes for 8 but i have fears, too. we'll see.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
ferricide said:
the big problem with DWVII was how wearing it is... i mean, just the little things. for example, it takes 13 button presses to save your game because they couldn't be arsed to evolve beyond 'talk to the priest and watch him spew generic dialogue' instead of just having a contemporary save point. that's just one small example of the dozens of ways in which the series stolidly refuses to evolve.

I'm not even sure its that (while I see your point, you can just keep hitting X, so its not too bad), so much that it seems you don't always have a clear goal for the next step. My roommate played the game to completion this past spring (over 100 hours), and his main complaint was many times he had to just revisit each town and talk to people until he was able to advance the plot. Don't know whose fault this is, the player or the game, but I know he complained about that the most.

Shouta

It always seems to be that the Odd-numbered Dragon Quest games slap down the most gameplay and gameplay ideas for the series while the even-numbered ones put down a foot for presentation and story. DQ2/4/6, all brought a bit more story to the series with probably the best characters for the series and presented some unique scenarios. DQ3/5/7 brought one or two new gameplay mechanics to the series at least.

I'm hoping DQ8 follows this trend.

ferricide

RevenantKioku said:
I'm not even sure its that (while I see your point, you can just keep hitting X, so its not too bad), so much that it seems you don't always have a clear goal for the next step. My roommate played the game to completion this past spring (over 100 hours), and his main complaint was many times he had to just revisit each town and talk to people until he was able to advance the plot. Don't know whose fault this is, the player or the game, but I know he complained about that the most.
my point is that when the game developers refuse to evolve something so small as usability of something as basic as saving your game, what does that say about the rest of the game? that one example is emblemtic of why DWVII is, essentially, an archaic piece of shit.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
belgurdo said:
Permission to use this picture in any and all "Hey! A popular game just came out; let's bitch about every insignificant flaw in it" threads, sir
*salutes* I will do it with pride sir!

RevenantKioku

ferricide said:
my point is that when the game developers refuse to evolve something so small as usability of something as basic as saving your game, what does that say about the rest of the game? that one example is emblemtic of why DWVII is, essentially, an archaic piece of shit.

I realize your point, but you find it archaic, I find it a bit charming. Charming shit perhaps, but hey. I just think its more wearing in other aspects that really drag it down. Hitting x a few more times is nothing compared to revisiting every town. These are bigger issues than the little archaic bits, because well those are what makes up a core of Dragon Quest. I mean at the same time, I can't say the use of triangle as it was, and the battles left the rest of the system as clunky as the original DQ felt.

Top Bottom