• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of RPG are the Dragon Quest games?

my point is that when the game developers refuse to evolve something so small as usability of something as basic as saving your game, what does that say about the rest of the game?

How is it an evolution? The save point approach isn't any more complex or difficult to implement, nor does it somehow require more advanced technology. It just happens to be more popular at the moment.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This thread prompted me to pop in my Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest Complete 7CD Box set today, and OMFG...I cannot believe how much more enjoyable the music is after having played the games (parts I, II, V, and VI to be more specific).

When I first bought and listened to these CDs, I had not played any of the DQ games so the music was just OK to me...nothing special. But when you play the games and let the original tunes grow on you, it is nothing but a breath of beautiful fresh air upon listening to Sugiyama's compositions banged out by the London Philharmonic Orchestra! My goodness....simply rapturous!

cover.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
isamu said:
This thread prompted me to pop in my Symphonic Suite Dragon Quest Complete 7CD Box set today, and OMFG...I cannot believe how much more enjoyable the music is after having played the games (parts I, II, V, and VI to be more specific).

When I first bought and listened to these CDs, I had not played any of the DQ games so the music was just OK to me...nothing special. But when you play the games and let the original tunes grow on you, it is nothing but a breath of beautiful fresh air upon listening to Sugiyama's compositions banged out by the London Philharmonic Orchestra! My goodness....simply rapturous!

cover.jpg

Yeah I bought the DQVr ost after having played DQVr and despite the entire game only having ~15 tracks, it's one of the best rpg osts I own and I keep it in my car for constant replay. There's just something about DQ music that clicks, the score is pretty simple yet immensly enjoyable.

But with DQ it goes even beyond the score...that describes the entire game. DQVr was very simple and basic, yet it was a very enjoyable rpg because everything (the art, characters, music, battles) just felt right. The game has this really mellow feel that let me feel like I was relaxing while playing it. Definitely one of my favorite games of 2004, and DQVIII should be amazing if it can retain that feel but with the gorgeous graphics that it has.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Bebpo said:
Yeah I bought the DQVr ost after having played DQVr and despite the entire game only having ~15 tracks, it's one of the best rpg osts I own and I keep it in my car for constant replay. There's just something about DQ music that clicks, the score is pretty simple yet immensly enjoyable.

But with DQ it goes even beyond the score...that describes the entire game. DQVr was very simple and basic, yet it was a very enjoyable rpg because everything (the art, characters, music, battles) just felt right. The game has this really mellow feel that let me feel like I was relaxing while playing it. Definitely one of my favorite games of 2004, and DQVIII should be amazing if it can retain that feel but with the gorgeous graphics that it has.

Bepbo do you understand Japanese? I am EXTREMELY jealous of you, you lucky bastard!!! You were able to play and understand DQ V Remix? I really really REALLY want to play this game in English for the PS2! I loved the original but when I saw movies of the Remix on IGN I literally cried with sadness knowing that Enix would not be bringing the game to the States.

Bepbo.....I promise you....if I ever hit the lottery, I WILL pay an outside 3rd party a few thousand to hack and translate this game for the PS2! I'm dead fucking serious!

Tellaerin

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
How is it an evolution? The save point approach isn't any more complex or difficult to implement, nor does it somehow require more advanced technology. It just happens to be more popular at the moment.

It's an evolution of the antiquated, cumbersome DQ system into something faster and more user-friendly. Advances in design are just as important as purely technical ones.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
DQ system cumbersome? For the most part, the later games (not including 1 and 2, which were pretty awkward), have some of the most streamlined and refined combat systems in all RPGdom. Battles go by really fast and everything feels so smooth. The only part that's really cumbersome would have to be taking items from your bag and giving it to new party members. 5 and 6 even made this pretty simple. But, this adds a new level of strategy, as you need to determine what you should bring into battle. Plus, one of the best parts about the DQ games is how tightly they're balanced and refined... games are totally consistent through and through, there are no game-breaking ways to cheese the game (with the exception of using an emulator and constantly save/reload when fighting Metal Babbles), the plot holds up... in exception to other more recent games, like FF6+ and even Star Ocean 3 (currently my favorite PS2 game)..

I will agree, DQ7 was disappointing and took WAY too long to get things going... maybe I'll pick it up again, one day. 3-6 are all fantastic games in their own right, I'd love to play the 5 remake too (please, S-E, please), and I'm eagerly anticipating 8.

Tellaerin

djtiesto: I was referring specifically to the business of having to scroll through reams of text before you can have a priest save your game vs. the way save points are handled in more contemporary RPG's. :)

Yeah, they need to just put regular FF-style save spots in the temples. That shit is ridiculous, and it is made even worse by the localization problems. Having to hit X every seven to nine words because of the spacing issue gets old everywhere in the game.

No doubt, DQVII is archaic, ugly, and slow-paced. Yet I've restarted it recently, and am enjoying it. Combat is fun and actually provides some challenge. Building up your characters is enjoyable once you can actually change classes. I've not had any problems finding shards or triggering quests so far, and actually find that it's been easier to cut through the bullshit than in many modern RPGs.

It isn't as good as 4 or 5, and I'm sure 6 is probably better as well. That said, it's still better than anything Squeenix has released in America post-merger, which is disturbing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I could've sworn I've seen a few dungeons in DQ6 where you were able to save from within, either by way of a priest or a book... but yeah, hearing the priest's spiel gets kind of annoying, even in Slime Morimori :p Sometimes change is good, as long as it's not too much.

isamu

Top Bottom