• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Nintendoods games will you get in 2004?

Kon Tiki

Banned
With the launch just over a month away, and holiday budgets being planned. Gamer's Summit gave most people who plan on buying a Nintendoods some media and impressions. Which games do you plan on purchasing? Is there anyone waiting for videos and more impressions before deciding?

Lets just pretend that all 'launch window' games come out before 2005.

I plan on getting Mario 64DS, Asphalt, Spider-Man 2, and Feel the Magic. I will add Goldeneye if it makes out this year and is 'good'.

Nintendoods? What, is Keanu Reeves the new marketing guy at Nintendo?

Hopefully Wario Ware comes out before the end of the year, that's the one I really want for DS.

Kon Tiki

Banned
worldrunover said:
Nintendoods? What, is Keanu Reeves the new marketing guy at Nintendo?

Hopefully Wario Ware comes out before the end of the year, that's the one I really want for DS.
nintendoods.jpg

Soul4ger

Namco is bringing Mr. Driller here, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS BETTER BUY MR. DRILLER.

Super Mario, Mr. Driller, Rayman, Feel the Magic.

Prospero

Advance Wars DS (or DS Wars, or whatever it's called) is the only thing so far that makes me want to shell out $150 for new hardware. And even that's questionable for me, since I haven't touched my GBA SP in two months (if I'm at home I have better consoles to play on, and these days I've been reading or using a laptop while traveling instead of gaming).

MaddenNFL64

Well, Mario 64 DS will hold me over for this year, along with the Hunters demo.

I really have no idea about many of the other games though. I got a real good look at M64 DS though, so that decision was easy.

jarrod

Banned
Out of what's known/been shown? So far...

-Super Mario 64 DS
-Mr Driller: Drill Spirits
-Feel the Magic: XY/XX
-Puyo Pop Fever (maybe)

....and if they make their way to America this year I'd be interested in...

-Advance Wars DS
-Wario Ware Inc, DS
-One-Line Puzzle (maybe)
-Yoshi's Touch & Go
-Another (maybe)
-Pac-Pix
-Ganbare Goemon DS!
-Egg Monster Hero (maybe)
-Zoo Keeper
-Bomberman DS (maybe)
-Meteos (maybe)

...lotsa puzzlers. :)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Definitely Mario 64, and possibly Feel the Magic and Mr. Driller.

I'm also interested in plenty of other games (Advance Wars DS, Nintendogs, Wario Ware DS, Another, etc.) but I'm unsure what is slated for release in 2004 (US). Can someone make a list?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Soul4ger said:
Namco is bringing Mr. Driller here, YOU MOTHERFUCKERS BETTER BUY MR. DRILLER.

Super Mario, Mr. Driller, Rayman, Feel the Magic.
I never really played a Mr. Driller. I will look for the gba version (if there is one) and try it.

Human,
Puppy Times
Format: Nintendo DS
Launch Date: TBD
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)

Grubdog

Banned
Nothing.

But when it launches in PAL regions next year i'll definately get Super Mario 64 DS, which i'm really hyped about, and maybe Rayman DS or Mr Driller. Hopefully more games are ready for the PAL launch though.

Mrbob

Probably Mario 64 DS. I really enjoyed Mario 64, and my N64 is dead, so I'll buy it just to play through single player again.

Otherwise the lineup is meh. I would have bought Metroid (Even if the controls are supposed to hurt your hand :( ) but that isn't coming out until 2005 now.

If the rest of the lineup continues to suck into 2005 I'll trade it in towards a down payment on a PSP.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Society: Thanks. Looks like we won't see Nintendogs (I really don't want to call it Puppy Times) this year.

MrBob: Are you interested in any future non-2004 titles, or does the entire line up as a whole not excite you? (Just curious -- no secret insults or anything here :) ).

Deku Tree

I'm seriously considering not purchasing a launch DS because of all the console games I want to buy + budget constraints, but if I do it'll be

NDS + SM64DS

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Mario 64 certainly. I'll wait for reviews of the other games, though I'd be quite happy with just Mario, Pictochat and the Metroid demo until the rest of the games I really want start coming out.

Mrbob

Is Advance Wars coming out for Nintendo DS? Is it going to be 2D or that pseudo 3D console version?

I guess I am slightly interested in Dynasty Warriors DS. But I haven't seen anything for it yet. Considering that I don't think the PSP version of Dynasty Warriors looks that great visually I cringe on how the DS version looks. Plus the frame rate. Is the game gonna chug on DS? Also, I saw a video of a 2D Mario game at one time. I don't know if that was just a tech demo or becoming an actual game?

Other than that, nothing much. At least not that I can think of. But I can't say I've been trying to dig out all the DS info I can find about upcoming games. Just what I've browsed briefly here and on the IGN DS site. I noticed FF3J is coming to DS, but that doesn't really excite me too much. I'd rather play FF12. I see a lot of remakes on the DS, on a whole, and the lineup doesn't really excite me. In fact, all the games I want for DS (Mario, Advance Wars, Metroid, Dynasty Warriors) are either remakes of old games or new versions of existing franchises. I'm still worried that the single player in Metroid Hunters is gonna be some sort of arena battle and that doesn't sound very exciting to me either.

Heh, I guess that is a bit long winded, but there honestly isn't a ton coming down the road I am itching to get for DS. Many of them remakes or extensions of franchises. But we'll probably see the same thing for the PSP at launch too. Neither portable seems to have that "OMG MUST HAVE" game yet, but at least the PSP launch is a bit further off.

Mrbob

Cool.

But Yikes at those graphics. Couldn't they have spruced up the games look a bit? If you didn't tell me this was a DS game I would have thought it was a GBA game.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Hmmm, in 2004 these are the Nintendoods games i will definately get ahold of.

Super Mario DS
Advance Wars DS
Wario Ware DS

Games i will want pending good buzz.

Asphalt GT
Meteos
Mr. Driller
I would die for you
Egg Monster Hero
Rayman DS
i'm sure there's a couple more..

Kon Tiki

Banned
Are WWDS and AWDS 2004 games? If so I will add them in place of Spiderman and Asphalt. Puppy Time looks too cute to pass up.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Mrbob said:
But Yikes at those graphics. Couldn't they have spruced up the games look a bit? If you didn't tell me this was a DS game I would have thought it was a GBA game.
Besides more colour, what else would you want from a title like that? And besides, it could be argued that the simple colour palette was a creative issue to keep the cartoon look the series has had so far.

However... i wish the terrain was 3D to provide a whole new set of strategies you'd need to deal with mountains, hills, trees, cities, canyons and so on.

Tsubaki

The question is... what is out in America in 2004? We've only been given a list of launch and "launch window"(whatever that means) games.

My picks:
Kimi no tame nara shineru / Feel the magic xx-xy
Band Brothers

If they come out this yr:
Advance Wars DS
Mr. Driller DS

And since I never played it, maybe:
Mario 64 DS

Society said:
I never really played a Mr. Driller. I will look for the gba version (if there is one) and try it.,

There are two GBA Mr Drillers, but they're Japan only. Mr. Driller 2 and Mr. Driller A: Fushigi na Pacteria. It might actually be cheaper for you to get Driller DS, considering MSRP on those two games will run you about $45-50 each.

OmniGamer

Goddamn, enough with Nintendoods! It sounds silly, it looks silly, and given the different font size between "Nintendo" and "DS", it doesn't even look like one word. Such a far reach for so little a payoff in actual "funny".

Kon Tiki

Banned
OmniGamer said:
Goddamn, enough with Nintendoods! It sounds silly, it looks silly, and given the different font size between "Nintendo" and "DS", it doesn't even look like one word. Such a far reach for so little a payoff in actual "funny".
Nintendoods is the future. Stop living in a shell.

jarrod

Banned
Tsubaki said:
There are two GBA Mr Drillers, but they're Japan only. Mr. Driller 2 and Mr. Driller A: Fushigi na Pacteria. It might actually be cheaper for you to get Driller DS, considering MSRP on those two games will run you about $45-50 each.
Actually Mr Driller 2 got a late PAL release from Atari. And the DS game is a launch title in both Japan and America. :)

Tsubaki

jarrod said:
Actually Mr Driller 2 got a late PAL release from Atari. And the DS game is a launch title in both Japan and America. :)

Is there really a definitive US launch list? Even Nintendo of America doesn't list one.

Insertia

If I decide to pick up a DS this year, I'll get Feel The Magic. It puts DS's hardware capabilities to good use.

Mama Smurf

Yoshi's Touch & Go isn't really Yoshi's Island 2. It shares quite a few similarities, but one big difference.

You don't have contol over Yoshi's movement (well, not exactly). Once Baby Mario has fallen from the sky (I'm sure you all know how the bit plays), Yoshi catches him and starts moving. You don't control him, he's going to keep moving just like Baby Mario kept falling, only along the horizontal rather than the vertical. You can however make him jump by tapping him, and make him do that leg flutter thing by continually tapping him. You can also still draw the lines of clouds that you used with the Baby Mario falling part. For example, if there's a pit of spikes too large for Yoshi you jump over, draw a line of clouds over it and he'll walk across them. However, spiked enemies destroy clouds when they touch them. You also have to protect Yoshi from enemies, and you can throw eggs at them by tapping the screen where they are, or circle them to make them disappear, and I think you can drag them to Yoshi to make more eggs too. You have to grab coins of course (you can either throw eggs at them or just let Yoshi touch them), but some are on the top screen (as are enemies, presumably to get in the way of getting said coins), so harder to hit.

It sounds like a lot of fun to me, and should lead to some frantic action if Nintendo designs it right. I just hope they make it big enough an complicated enough to hold interest throughout the game.

callous

Mario64DS. Every Nintendo handheld has to be broken in with a Mario game. It's tradition for me. If RRDS gets a non-stylus control scheme, that will go in the basket too.

jarrod

Banned
Tsubaki said:
Is there really a definitive US launch list? Even Nintendo of America doesn't list one.
They did via PR...

Nintendo DS America (11.21.2004)
-Asphalt Urban GT (Ubi Soft/Gameloft)
-Feel the Magic: XY-XX (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
-Mr Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
-Ping Pals (THQ/Way Forward Technologies)
-Rayman DS (Ubi Soft/Ubi Soft Montreal)
-Ridge Racer DS (Namco/Nintendo Software Technology)
-Spider-Man 2 (Activision/Vicarious Visions)
-Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts/Griptonite Games)
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf (Electronic Arts)

Nintendo DS Japan (12.02.2004)
-Chokkan HitoFude (Nintendo/Mitchell Corp)
-Daigassou Band Brothers (Nintendo)
-Kenshuui Tendou Dokuta (Spike)
-Kimi no Tame Nara Shineru (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Mahjong Taikai (Koei)
-Mr Driller DS (Namco)
-Pocket Monsters Dash Grand-Prix (Pokemon Company/Ambrella)
-Sawaru Made in Wario! (Nintendo/Intelligent Systems)
-The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts/Griptonite Games)
-Tounou Ni Asekaku Game Series: Volume 1 Cool 104 Joker & Setline (Aruze)
-Zoo Keeper (Success)

Mama Smurf

Tsubaki said:

No there isn't, though there was some confusion as NOA worded things in a strange way.

Basically, these games will come out in the launch window (which doesn't mean launch, just around it, seems to refer to 2004):

Super Mario 64
Spider-Man 2
Madden
Tiger Woods
The Urbz
Ping Pals
Feel the Magic
Rayman
Asphalt Urban GT
Sprung
Ridge Racer
Mr. Driller

Now, about 5 or 6 of those will be released at launch, with the rest of them coming out before Christmas. I would think Mario and Madden are definite for launch though.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't plan on buying a DS this year, but when I do, the only two games from this year that I'll probably buy are Mr Driller and Super Mario 64, at least with the currently announced games. I'll grab a DS at the earliest maybe my birthday in March, or later, depending on when the cool software starts hitting, like Castlevania, Yoshi Touch & Go and Advance Wars.

Chittagong

Gold Member

Nintendo DS Japan (12.02.2004)
-Chokkan HitoFude (Nintendo/Mitchell Corp)
-Daigassou Band Brothers (Nintendo)
-Pocket Monsters Dash Grand-Prix (Pokemon Company/Ambrella)
-Sawaru Made in Wario! (Nintendo/Intelligent Systems)
-Zoo Keeper (Success)

I'm more excited about this launch than any other launch since N64. That was the last time I felt the excitement of getting something truly new.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I want them all. Screw consoles. The NDS is turning me into a handheld fanboy (except I won't be getting a PSP)

Since I can't afford them all, I'll get Mario 64 DS for starters, and if it makes it out before the end of the year, I'll import the game Another. It looks very badass.

Heh, this is exactly what I'm getting. Though I might wait until next year for Mr. Driller, only so much time and money.

Well, SM64 is a definite. I'd like to read some reviews of the crop of puzzlers we're getting as I'll probably only buy one of them. Meteos, Puyo Pop Fever, and Mr Driller all sound worthwhile to me.

I'm also curious about Asphalt GT, it has decent enough graphics, so as long as the actual game is good, I'd be interested.

Feel the Magic will probably be a buy as well, provided there's no Wario Ware to get in it's way.

Bearing in mind the huge amount of other stuff I'm buying this holiday I need to be careful about my budget so I'll probably only buy a couple of games for it, but even with just SM64 and the Metroid Hunters demo I'll likely be covered for the rest of the year, at least.

Ristamar

OmniGamer said:

It's required to compete with the X-Dude and the DudeStation 2 (or is that PlayStation Dude?)

Top Bottom