• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What other games acknowledge their platform?

solidus12

Having bought the MGS Master Collection, I’m doing a MGS marathon, now replaying though Metal Gear Solid 4.

And I’m amazed at the amount of PlayStation references that are in the game: from Sunny’s PSP and PS3, to Snake’s DualShock 3 that controls the MK2.

The Sixaxis is also used to change Snake’s octocamo suit or to make Rose’s boobs jiggle.

But the biggest reference that always puts a smile on my face has to be this codec conversation in act4:

Is there any other game that acknowledges its platform to that extent? Astro’s Playroom maybe?

Will Konami keep everything intact for a potential Master Collection Volume 2 ?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Mario Kart DS has a balloon battle map that's set on a giant DS in space, and The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass has an island that's shaped like a DS. Lots of Pokemon games have references to the hardware, such as kids who'll tell you they're using a link cable to connect their game boys together.

A lot of video games have PCs in them, and sometimes PCs are a big part of the story :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
gamecube_in_lab_metal_gear_solid_the_twin_snakes.jpg

EfUB028XoAUqLaS.png:large

MGS1 and Twin Snakes.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I feel like Nintendo pulls this very often. I’ve just beaten the Paper Mario TYYD remake so it’s very fresh in my mind and it’s full of references. Not only to GC though.
paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door-glitz-pit-guide-how-to-get-the-champs-belt-3.large.jpg

show

Dazraell

Pokemon's protagonists owns Nintendo platforms in their room, Astro's Playroom is basically a celebration of everything tied to PlayStation, Luigi's Mansion has Game Boy Horror and Dual Scream thingies. I'm not sure how this works on the updated versions that was ported to other platforms, but original version of Doki Doki Literature Club was actively aware that platform you played was PC and used some of the data from your computer for story purposes

Last edited:
I feel like Nintendo pulls this very often. I’ve just beaten the Paper Mario TYYD remake so it’s very fresh in my mind and it’s full of references. Not only to GC though.
paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door-glitz-pit-guide-how-to-get-the-champs-belt-3.large.jpg

show

I like when the Twilight Town birds tell you to buy Fire Emblem on GBA (at the time it was new to the west), which is also developed by Intelligent Systems.

calistan

The trend for putting Super or 64 before/after game names was a big acknowledgment of those platforms. Nobody really does that sort of thing any more.

Duchess

There were a few times when PS3 consoles showed up in The Last of Us Part 2:

PS3-Last-of-us-2-.jpg

Here's a good one with Uncharted 2 and Jak 3 games to the side.

Uncharted 1 might be at the bottom of the pile, but too hard to tell.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I1bqLzg.jpeg

CS:S, CS GO a even CS2 have these Dell computers in cs_office.
If you crack them open you'll see some typical hardware from the early to mid 2000s, also
a red graphics card, which resembles an ATI9600pro or ATI9800pro, which were pretty much the GPUs you wanted to have back in 2004 when Half Life 2 and CS:S released.

ssringo

Double Dragon Neon doesn't directly refer to the specific platform but it does reference trophies/achievements in the ending song with the trophy notification timed to the song's lyrics. Time stamped to just before the moment. It's also a really fun game full of sillyness.

Sorcerer

Ah i see, my memories are not well, thanks for correction
I think its easy to forget that Ryo has a Saturn, he does not any games on it that require a Saturn as far as I can remember.
I wonder if Ryo has Panzer Dragoon Saga or Magic Night Rayearth?

Which Simpson’s game on the SNES where, if memory serves correctly. Where Homer is like a King Kong type of character and he’s throwing Sega Genesis or SNES’ at you and the Genisis’ version was vice versa??

Zannegan

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts had an entire level set inside a "Logbox 720," which was a cheeky reference to its home platform. It was probably my least favorite level in the game, but at the time I had a good chuckle at the fourth wall breaking irony.

intbal

I know I've seen an Original Xbox inside a game before, but I can't recall which one. Might have been Breakdown.

Top Bottom