• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What PS2 games are must haves?

I've got:

Katamari Damacy
ZOE2
Amplitude
FFX

Going to get:

Viewtiful Joe
MGS3
GTA:SA
VF4:Evo

WHat other games should I look into? Especially older titles I might have overlooked (oh and don't mention GTA3/VC, have them for XBox).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good games worth playing...

Breath of Fire V
Contra - SS
The Adventures of Cookie and Cream
Disaster Report
Drakengard
Fatal Frame II
Frequency
Gradius V
Grandia Xtreme
ICO
Klonoa 2
Mark of Kri
Maximo 2
MGS2
REZ
Ridge Racer V
R-Type Final
Silent Hill 2 and 3
Star Ocean 3
Wipeout Fusion
Shadow Hearts 2

jiggle

Breath of Fire V
Dark Cloud 2
Devil May Cry 1
Disgaea
Dynasty Warriors 3
FFX-2
Kingdom Hearts
Klonoa
Ico
Karaoke Revolution I & II
Monster Hunter
Onimusha I, II, III
Phantom Brave
Star Ocean 3

LAMBO

There's tons but ZOE2, best game i've played this gen.

I hope to go back and get all the great games i missed but i said it last gen too and i didn't go back and buy masny psx games.

firex

ICO is terribly overrated and hailed as "art" while being devoid of any good gameplay, but pick it up if you can.
Avoid the GT games like the plague unless you're a car freak, because they'll put most anybody else to sleep.
If you don't mind the horrible story, MGS2 has some really, really good gameplay.
Try and get Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter if you either hate stereotypical japanese RPGs or just want something unconventional in general (also, the game isn't nearly as hard as it's made out to be, although it's difficult at the start). I wouldn't bother with the Silent Hill games, either, unless you really like survival horror. Oh, and I'd get Rez if you can find it. And get both Ratchet and Clank games, they're probably the most fun you can have on any console.

Solid

firex said:
ICO is terribly overrated and hailed as "art" while being devoid of any good gameplay, but pick it up if you can.
Avoid the GT games like the plague unless you're a car freak, because they'll put most anybody else to sleep.
If you don't mind the horrible story, MGS2 has some really, really good gameplay.
Haha I hate you! :D

Sly 2 < Really funny and awesome platformer
Ace Combat IV < good arcade sim, my fav game on PS2
Ico
Ape Escape 2
Jak II
Klonoa 2
ZOE 2
Time Crisis 2

Spike

Would you guys suggest MGS2:SoL or Substance? I came across a used copy of Substance today for $20 CDN, and I'm not sure if it warrants purchase over SoL?

Any major differences between the two?

Spike said:
Would you guys suggest MGS2:SoL or Substance? I came across a used copy of Substance today for $20 CDN, and I'm not sure if it warrants purchase over SoL?

substance is a better game, more extras and I think they fixed some slowdown problems as well in that version.

RiZ III

Onimusha 2 and 3
Drakan 2

Even though Onimusha 3 has got a ton of more cool features than 2, I still liked 2 better for some reason. Either way, both are awsome games.

Drakan is one of the best adventure games I've played. World is really huge. Ogre caves scattered all over the place. Its got a really good musical score as well.

Solid

Spike said:

It's definitely worth it IMO!

Check this site: http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs2_sub/english/index.html

- 350+ VR Missions and 150+ Alternate Missions!
- 5 all-new "Snake Tales" side stories!
- Hidden playable characters and new game modes!

I think the NTSC version even have the updated stuff the PAL version of MGS2:SoL had.

Vlad

Well, you've already got Amplitude, but I would highly recommend Frequency, too. It's not as flashy as Amplitude, but I found it to be vastly better than Amplitude in quite a few different areas (song selection, less reliance on random items for super-high scores, among other things).

I've also gotta throw in another vote for Ico. The gameplay itself is nothing out of the ordinary, and it's a little on the short side, but it's one of those games where the whole experience vastly outweighs the sum of its parts.

firex

Deepthroat said:
Haha I hate you! :D
heh, just chipping in my opinions. ICO and Wanda look so awesome, but I was pretty disappointed with ICO's gameplay (it has more to do with the Yorda "Lemmings" AI... which also pissed me off in the Zelda games that used similar techniques). I still recommend it though, because I know I'm in the minority for ICO dislike.

Top Bottom