• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What really good games are "cool" or "en vogue" to hate?

What games are there that are just "cool" to hate, even though they're great games.

1) MGS2
2) Jak 2
3) Fable
4) Super Mario Sunshine (Do people hate this, they certainly bag on parts of it alot)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I sure do hate Fable.
But, I should be getting my free copy any day now. I'll be sure to write up my opinions on it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TheGreenGiant said:
that game should not be on the list. It does not fit in the good category. okthxbye

Jak 2 sucks.

Now the game fits, happy?

8bit

Knows the Score
I think MGS2 is a load of old bollocks mainly because it's a stealth game, possibly my least favourite genre. Combine that with a demented plot, and there's very little about it I'd describe as great.

That's my opinion though, and ultimately subjective.

RevenantKioku

SolidSnakex said:
Yah such a terrible game with its 94.8% average score. Just awful.

Yeah, it even got a release on Xbox. What's not to love?

Tony Hawk games probably work along with all of EA sports.

While they may not always break new ground, every single TH game has been awesome as far as gameplay goes. THUG got a little slow with the wondering around, but I still love it.

And EA sports always gets the "retread" label, even though the same people rarely apply it to ESPN, despite the obvious irony of it.

Galleon and Azurik on Xbox. You just have to give them more time then a few minutes to understand them.

Maybe I should also add Deus Ex Invisibile War.

TheGreenGiant said:
oh, we don't hate it yet. We just won't pay $50 for it.

IAWTP.

I'm looking for more of the games that it's actually "politically acceptable" to hate on and where people just latch on like a bulldog to one negative aspect and ride it like nobody's business.

Gran Turismo w/ other driver AI & car damage certainly fits that bill somewhat, but I think most people recognize and respect GT for what it is (the greatest racing game series of all time :D )

Unison

39.jpg

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Insertia said:
MGS2 wasn't good AT ALL.

Please cease giving it credibility it doesn't deserve.

IAWTP.

Of course, I'm also in the "I think stealth games fucking blow" category as well. Combine bad gameplay + bad plot --> Metal Gear Solid 2!

RevenantKioku

Nerevar said:
IAWTP.

Of course, I'm also in the "I think stealth games fucking blow" category as well. Combine bad gameplay + bad plot --> Metal Gear Solid 2!

I'm replaying the xbox version at the moment.
You get to shoot up a pregnant woman with tranquilizers.
If this doesn't nominate MGS2 as the best game ever, well.

Have marginally sentient people made the "game rankings prove my point" fad popular again? It was stupid in 2001, it's even more pathetic now.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Tre said:
Have marginally sentient people made the "game rankings prove my point" fad popular again? It was stupid in 2001, it's even more pathetic now.
How else can a game's quality be determined in discussions such as this?

I'll grant you that it isn't the be-all end-all verdict on a game, but really now: when a game is considered among the top five in a database that encompasses thousands of games, that's a pretty good indicator of its quality.

SaitoH

What games are there that are just "cool" to hate, even though they're great games.

1) MGS2 (Didn't like the story, or Raiden. Thought vampires, good luck people, and fat men on rollerskates were downright silly. In spite of my complaints I still really liked the game. >_> )
2) Jak 2 (The "GTA" portion, while not very good, didn't ruin the game. Neither did the slowdown. Jak 2 was great.)
3) Fable (Only played a few hours of it, but wasn't impressed. The hype machine ruined it for me. I'll finish it "later.")
4) Super Mario Sunshine (Loved Mario Sunshine. *shrugs*)

In a perfect world, yes, but I can't give reviews much clout when there are people for large sites/mags who give GOTY titles to games like Serious Sam.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
1) MGS2 - It was a bit boring.
2) Jak 2 - Really? Overlooks thanks to R&C somewhat
3) Fable - Game of lies
4) Super Mario Sunshine - Was boring and had terrible camera

Razoric

Banned
human5892 said:
How else can a game's quality be determined in discussions such as this?

I'll grant you that it isn't the be-all end-all verdict on a game, but really now: when a game is considered among the top five in a database that encompasses thousands of games, that's a pretty good indicator of its quality.

Yeah but the problem is people aren't consistent... they use game rankings to show how a game like, say Metroid Prime, is "teh best" because it's #5 of all time yet they would bash another game calling it overhyped crap, say GTA:SA, which is around 9-12 of all time.

RevenantKioku

Now look what you've all done. We've got Spong involved now.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Tre said:
In a perfect world, yes, but I can't give reviews much clout when there are people for large sites/mags who give GOTY titles to games like Serious Sam.
True...but for many games on GameRankings, there are plenty of reviews in the pool (Metroid Prime, for example, has 104), and most are at least semi-coherent...at least enough to balance out those that are sheer idiocy.

As I said, I am not asserting that a highly-ranking game is definitively good, as no game could be; but clearly, there is at least a basic indicator of quality that comes with the rankings, or at the very least, a measure of enjoyment to be had.

RevenantKioku

Razoric said:
Yeah but the problem is people aren't consistent... they use game rankings to show how a game like, say Metroid Prime, is "teh best" because it's #5 of all time yet they would bash another game calling it overhyped crap, say GTA:SA, which is around 9-12 of all time.

Amongst the top, maybe 200 ranked games, yeah there's tons of discrepancies, and maybe game X should be above game Y, yeah I know, people aren't perfect.
But you can't go and say any of those top games are utter shit as far as games go. Hell, I can't stand Halo, but I can respect it for what it is.
And if you can't give respect, what can ya give?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
mgs2. well, i'm not saying you shouldn't hate it. i'm saying that your reasons for hating it are probably stupid. hardcore gamer types will call for the maturation of gaming as an "artform," but will then be terribly conservative about what games should do. the moment a game breaks away from sterotypical anime japery or cloying "charm," it's ridiculed. mgs2 is perhaps alienating and undisciplined, but you should applaud its sheer ambition and quiddity. if you care about games as an artform -- though i certainly don't -- hideo kojima should be your man.

Razoric

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Amongst the top, maybe 200 ranked games, yeah there's tons of discrepancies, and maybe game X should be above game Y, yeah I know, people aren't perfect.
But you can't go and say any of those top games are utter shit as far as games go. Hell, I can't stand Halo, but I can respect it for what it is.
And if you can't give respect, what can ya give?

I agree with this...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Razoric said:
Well, that's a problem. And I don't think Game Rankings is accurate or objective enough to start qualifying titles down to their exact placement on the chart, as in your example ("Metroid is 5 and 5 is higher than 9 so Metroid is better than GTA!"). But I do think it gives a rough enough idea to enable people to say, "Hey, no matter what I think, most people agree that these games are really good."

EDIT: Yeah, basically what RevenantKioku said.

I didn't need to read a list of numbers to know how I felt about many of those games (Metroid Prime, especially), I spent hours playing the game. I know a God-awful FPS when I play one. Metroid Prime's control scheme's about as intuitive as World War II online's.

xsarien

daedsiluap
It's always cool to hate on Blinx. He's the video game equivalent of black clothing.

Tre said:
The problem is, there haven't been "really good" nintendo games in 8 years.

Log off, find $70, and buy Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2.

Top Bottom