• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring made me realize how boring modern games sound.

discussions about video game music always remind me of one of my favorite gaming moments: playing the original tomb raider (on my badass 3dfx card), & suddenly realizing, a couple hours in, that there was no music. it was just ambient background sound. & it really helped explain why the whole solo exploration vibe of the game was so damn powerful. opting to go without music was an absolutely brilliant decision on the developers parts...

i feel that, as far as background music goes, there's a time & a place for it. but there's also circumstances in games where less is better, depending on the effect that the developer's going for. elden ring being a good example of a game attempting to focus on creating an eerie, lonely, oppressive experience...

Video games and Hollywood movies started following this trend in, I think, post-2000 where it's like they REFUSE to have melodies or memorable motifs in their scores.

Think of the most famous and instantly recognizable themes: Jaws. Indiana Jones. Superman...(Whoops--All John Williams!). Those have lead lines that you can hear in your head right now.

Now try to remember any Marvel movies' non-Avengers theme songs. Can you do it? I can't.

It's like they decided they can just manipulate people's emotions with ambient scores instead of giving something catchy to latch onto. Everything sounds like AI-generated, minorly differentiated sludge that's afraid to stand out.

Wildebeest

It's like they decided they can just manipulate people's emotions with ambient scores instead of giving something catchy to latch onto. Everything sounds like AI-generated, minorly differentiated sludge that's afraid to stand out.
Grand Budapest Hotel soundtrack rightfully won the Oscar over Interstellar in 2014. One of the last great films that wasn't a bore from start to end.

Bernardougf

I really dont give a fuck about soundtrack and music in Souls games ... I need concentration to beat hard bosses and not some really cool beating tune... but you do you

S0ULZB0URNE

Funny, Dragon's Dogma 2 made me realize how boring Elden Ring is

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

What a terrible take.

jk-simmons-laughing-axxfud9n9tdnk416.gif

Hunter 99

I agree with you OP, game music plays a big part in me remembering the game well enough to reminisce on it at certain times.maybe even saving the playlist on Spotify or even buying the cd/vinyl.
The 16bit era was amazing but I still have favourites from all generations (latest being some tracks from stellar blade and ff7 rebirth) but bomb rush cyberfunk is AWESOME.
Elden ring soundtrack was OK and some tracks sound epic but they are not memorable to me and I would never listen to them outside of the game.

Trilobit

What? BotW had excellent sound design. I thought it was brave of them to go in a more subtle way with the music and allow the world's sounds to shine. And then when you got to the weird forest with the constant music it became more impactful.

I'd say that having a constant background theme work in some games and not in others. It's not a one size fits all thing.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
There needs to be a thread about when and what game made you realize music was an integral part of the experience.

For me it was the original Streets of Rage in 5th grade. 1991.

Sitting there while it was pouring rain outside. After school. 4ishPM. Borrowed the game from a classmate.

Sitting there with a mug full of fucking animal crackers 😂

And then all of sudden this comes on

Done. Outlook on game music changed forever. At 10 years old.

Thanks Sega 😎

I don't think any From Software game has ever had a good soundscape, that's just not a priority for them

To equate this with "modern games" is absurd when something like Stellar Blade exists

Also all GTA games use a ton of licensed and bespoke music and they are always acclaimed for their soundscapes

I have played FROM games since Armoured Core 1. If you played 99% of the music from their stuff, I wouldn't recognise it. Combined, I have literally thousands of hours put into their titles. It's appalling!

R6Rider

Gold Member
I love Elden Ring and I agree that the sound/audio in the game is fantastic.

At the same time the lighting is awful. Luckily their art direction and designs make up for it (among other things).

Last edited:

Filben

One of the few and latest examples in regards of sound (effects) that really stood out positively was the Demon's Souls remake. Hits sound impactful and when weapons enemies carry drop and react with the environment it sounds super clear and conveys a lot of physical weight; same when a shield is hit. Even the tiniest things cause perceivable sounds. The sound design is brilliant.

Not a lot games, even AAA ones, do that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't really remember much of er soundtrack except the main menu theme tbh.

The epic boss themes kinda mix all together after a certain point and ambiance music is just whatever.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Truth. Yuka Kitamura sent the Souls OSTs down that path and it’s unquestionably a step back from the uniqueness of the original Demon’s Souls OST snd the first Dark Souls. A shame, because she did a great job with Sekiro.
Sure, it’s an exaggeration to say that every boss music there sounds the same. Yet, it’s true that they all share such a similar style that one has to listen for distinctive sounds to pinpoint which music belongs to which boss when you’re just listening to the OST.

I was going to make a quip about open world games not being fit for melodies that would get repeated over and over for hundreds of hours… then someone mentioned Xenoblade and yeah, that’s how it should be done.

I think this is somewhat unfair towards Kitamura, or at least underrating the compositional quality of her music. I've gained a much stronger appreciation for the soundtrack of Demon's Souls over the years, so I won't dispute that, but outside a handful of tracks from DS1, I don't think Sakuraba's work is really all that memorable or unique. His energetic boss themes tend to have the same grating cacophonous style.

DS2 was no different, just more of the same frenetic, indistinguishable slop.

I remember getting to the Ruin Sentinels fight and thinking to myself as I struggled against them for an hour, "Damn, this boss track actually sounds ... good??" After I finally beat them, I looked up the composer because it sounded very much unlike Sakuraba's usual stuff, and what do you know, it was one of Kitamura's debut tracks for the Souls series.

By the time DS3 rolled around, there was no question who produced the higher quality music.

vs.

I think Kitamura deserves a lot of recognition and respect for bringing a more dignified approach to composing for the Souls games.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I think this is somewhat unfair towards Kitamura, or at least underrating the compositional quality of her music. I've gained a much stronger appreciation for the soundtrack of Demon's Souls over the years, so I won't dispute that, but outside a handful of tracks from DS1, I don't think Sakuraba's work is really all that memorable or unique. His energetic boss themes tend to have the same grating cacophonous style.

I remember getting to the Ruin Sentinels fight and thinking to myself as I struggled against them for an hour, "Damn, this boss track actually sounds ... good??" After I finally beat them, I looked up the composer because it sounded very much unlike Sakuraba's usual stuff, and what do you know, it was one of Kitamura's debut tracks for the Souls series.

By the time DS3 rolled around, there was no question who produced the higher quality music.

vs.

I think Kitamura deserves a lot of recognition and respect for bringing a more dignified approach to composing for the Souls games.

Of course my comment was generalizing. Sakuraba does tend to sound cacophonic, and while his compositions are always very recognizable and mostly very good, I always regretted his choice of synths. It’s like he likes to make stuff sound grating and/or muffled when there’s absolutely no need for that.

Still, the overuse of choirs that began with DS2 is much worse in terms of creativity, and thanks to the success of Souls, it’s fucking everywhere now. The boss music in Lies of P, for example, overdoes it to the point of being ridiculous rather than dramatic. It’s no coincidence that Kitamura’s most linked tracks are usually the slowest ones, with the softest choirs. Imagine if Kitamura did Ornstein & Smough, that one track would be a cacophony of oooooooohhhhhhs aaaaaahhhhhs oooooooooohhhhhhhs instead of the truly memorable piece it is.

Hohenheim

I absolutely love the minimalistic soundscapes in the modern FromSoft games. Fits the mood and atmosphere.
Lots of "catchy" music in these bleak worlds would be very distracting and bad for the immersion.

It also makes the boss-music hit so much better.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Of course my comment was generalizing. Sakuraba does tend to sound cacophonic, and while his compositions are always very recognizable and mostly very good, I always regretted his choice of synths. It’s like he likes to make stuff sound grating and/or muffled when there’s absolutely no need for that.

Still, the overuse of choirs that began with DS2 is much worse in terms of creativity, and thanks to the success of Souls, it’s fucking everywhere now. The boss music in Lies of P, for example, overdoes it to the point of being ridiculous rather than dramatic. It’s no coincidence that Kitamura’s most linked tracks are usually the slowest ones, with the softest choirs. Imagine if Kitamura did Ornstein & Smough, that one track would be a cacophony of oooooooohhhhhhs aaaaaahhhhhs oooooooooohhhhhhhs instead of the truly memorable piece it is.
He's got the talent no doubt. I just hate when he drowns everything in reverb. I think his remasters of the Star Ocean 2 tracks in the remake are really well done.

cireza

Sakuraba does tend to sound cacophonic, and while his compositions are always very recognizable and mostly very good, I always regretted his choice of synths. It’s like he likes to make stuff sound grating and/or muffled when there’s absolutely no need for that.
Do not underestimate his amazing skills at making calm, soothing themes. All his town themes are absolutely brilliant and so relaxing. He is a very versatile composer.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Hans Zimmer has ruined modern soundtracks. What is "good" has been reduced to an aggressively boring and unignorable wall of sound that blends with nothing.

Whoever ghost-composed the soundtracks for The Last Samurai and Interstellar did an excellent job. I'm still trying to decide whether I like the Dune Parts 1 and 2 soundtracks.

SleepMachine

Neo Member
I can agree somewhat that soundtracks nowadays aren't always as great or memorable as the old chiptune bangers of the 80's and 90's.
It's not uncommon with more ambient soundtracks, for better or worse. Sometimes it is more fitting and safe with something ambient versus something more melodic and stand-out.

Though there are still some nice songs out there in modern times. I'll take this opportunity to post this one.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Pick up El Paso Elsewhere on sale. Thats a game where the music kicked in and changed the entire game. I dont even want to describe it and spoil it.

vs.

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

The Dark Souls II soundtrack may not be completely well rounded, but the tracks you presented had the best variations and actually went somewhere instead of just running in place.

The game has some amazing art direction and plays great but the sound... There's one area in the DLC thathas some catchy melancholic music and that reminded me how boring this game sounds otherwise. I might as well mute the thing and there's no difference. There is no music most of the time and the ambience is so subtle, i can barely notice it. And it's not just because is an open world game, all Souls games sound boring. The only music that exists is during boss fights and it's always the same forgettable epic choir (yes, fight me). The sound effects are also pretty generic and boring. The only game from this series i remember having some cool sounds was those brain things singing in Bloodborne. Other than that you get the usual stock monster growls and hit sounds and that's it.

Then i thought about it a bit and realized it's not just these games. I don't remember the last game that urged me to seek it's soundtrack, which is something i used to do all the time before. I have a huge game OST collection and 90% of it is still from the 8/16bit era and the PS1/N64 (remember those catchy videogame midis and chip tunes you would hum all day?).

Same with SFX. I'm pretty sure the last game i remember that has an interesting sound design was INSIDE but only in some certain parts (the shockwave part sounded AMAZING). The last game that had consistently good/interesting sound design for me was Portal 2 and that was more than a decade ago. Even games that always had good soundtracks for me like the Zelda or Metroid series have now dropped the ball. The last two main Zelda games sound boring and i don't remember if Metroid Dread even had music... did it? Because i completely forgot about it. Naturally, it had to be a remaster of an older game (Metroid Prime) to remind me about the awesome music this series used to have.

Also, no. Sorry. I don't think the recent DOOM games have good music. I don't think Mick is a good musician. Random industrial sounds over an over distorted, super loud guitar isn't music for me but i guess it's a matter of taste so do feel free to fight me. And yes, Mario Kart 8 has a great soundtrack but it's still a 10y old game that mostly has remakes of older tunes. Let's see, what else... I remember Diablo 2 having a great OST, like all Blizzard games. Do Diablo 3 and 4 even have that anymore?

In conclusion, i think modern games have great visuals and good art direction is still a thing. But i don't think they sound as good or interesting as older generation games, as if sound and music in general has become a non priority. I guess voice acting took over with all the talking and expensive voice actors?
Play What Still Wakes The Deep

Top Bottom