• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were your first VHS tapes

Hudo

While the VHS-era was already winding down when I was a little shit, I remember that my Mom brought home a VHS version of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, which I apparently watched quite a lot (love you, Mom)
So I guess this was my first and only VHS tape.

I was always fascinated that you had to rewind the tape after watching the movie.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Tons of kids stuff, Disney etc. but the first tapes I "owned" myself were Lethal Weapon 1-4 from my aunt when I was way too young. First few are still awesome.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
08EiZML.jpeg
YAXqWbl.jpeg

uiwqjEW.jpeg

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Wierd that I remember this, but my dad bought this in a supermarket. This was the only VHS tape we had for a long time, usually we rented or recorded.

s-l1600.jpg

I only now notice this is kind of a Die Hard prequel based on the cover.

thefool

Can't really tell you which one but i have a very clear memory of Terminator 1 vhs. I distinctively remember the orion logo.

Laptop1991

I watched loads but can't actually remember the 1st one, i remember when we got our first player and browsing in the store, Clash of the Titans was one of the first batch of films i watched and Mad Max 2 as well, i bought loads every Friday at the time, it was a buzz back then. i even remember the Betamax section lol.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

I think it was a series of old cartoon compilations... like one tape has like 4 Popeye cartoons, one had like a few old Superman cartoons etc.

A few Random VHS memories:
ET coming on on VHS was like a SUPER big deal
Trying to collect all of the TMNT cartoon videos that Burger King was selling, was a challenge.
Discovering that you could tape stuff off the TV (if your VCR was hooked up correctly) was amazing.
1st time our VCR "ate" a tape was both confusing and upsetting.

twas a simpler time looking back. Be kind please rewind and all that.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My bros had a bunch of those, mostly Dragon Ball movies and also some tapes with videogame trailers, like this one for DK:

maxresdefault.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think it was ET? I remember the tape was green or partly green.

Released SIX YEARS after the movie was released in theaters.

In the 80s it could take a LONG time for a movie to hit VHS, and usually NOT for purchase.

For example, Star Wars released in 1977. The VHS was released in 1982 (two years after Empire was in theaters). Empire released in 80 and the VHS was 84 (a year after ROTJ hit theaters). Jedi was released in 83 and the VHS wasn't until 86.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

We got our first VCR in 1982 (I was 13) and one of my best friends at school was pretty well off and had two VCRs since like 1979 and could dub copies at will. He'd amassed a HUGE collection, so I'd give him blank tapes and he'd give me movies. I distinctly remember the first few, things I was dying to see for years but had been forbidden by my parents. Pretty sure the first three were: Clockwork Orange, Rollerball, Alien. They were 3rd or 4th generation, blurry with the sound a little out of sync. But that didn't matter back then, I was in movie heaven.

Mr Hyde

Yell John Carpenter GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I watched it so many times the tape got bad and certain segments of the film was just a blurry mess. I was so upset about this because I thought VHS tapes would last forever. My mom was relieved though, she thought it was a blessing because she worried that watching the movie so many times would affect me negatively.

I had he-man and fright night
Fright Night is so damn good, one of my all-time favorites. My dad rented it when I was probably 6, just popped it in like it was nothing. Told me it was a "comedy" and I wouldn't find it scary, lmao. I dunno how familiar you are with the sequel but I met and got to hang out with the actor who plays Fritzy, the insane asylum character, younger guy with long hair. He was the manager for the band Deadsy back in the early 00s and he'd always give backstage passes to my buddy and I. We were on the street team. He even took us on Korn's tour bus. So many wild experiences for a 16-year old. We never saw anything crazy, just such a trip to look back and consider that this guy bothered to take the time to be nice to us.

----

The first VHS tape that was specifically mine was a bootleg of Dick Tracy and Batman. Dad's friend had a black box and would record movies on HBO for him. TMNT was also around that time. Parents told my brothers and I that we'd get a penny for every pinecone we picked up in the backyard. No clue how many pinecones there were but it was a ton and as a reward our parents went out and bought the VHS. Still own it.

Dural

I'm sure my mom had bought some Disney VHS tapes, but I remember asking for Home Alone, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, and Backdraft for Christmas in 1991 and getting all three from my grandpa. Getting a movie on VHS was a big deal back then, at least for me it was. Now I have a server in my basement with 3000+ movies that my kids just take for granted.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
All we had were a bunch of movies and shows my dad recorded lol, I think a couple were from a guy he worked with who owned a laser disc player.

Earliest ones we had were Ghostbusters, Secret of NIMH, Short Circuit, and the Ewoks movie. And some Christian kids videos my mom got from church haha

Artoris

Gold Member
I'm sure my mom had bought some Disney VHS tapes, but I remember asking for Home Alone, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, and Backdraft for Christmas in 1991 and getting all three from my grandpa. Getting a movie on VHS was a big deal back then, at least for me it was. Now I have a server in my basement with 3000+ movies that my kids just take for granted.
I still have most of the tapes I recorded in the early nineties but the VHS has been changed three times

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

First one I ever bought myself was the lion king. My mom helped me save up my allowance for like 3 months to afford it. Great movie.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I never really spent money on VHS tapes. They wore out so easily. I remember in the early days of video rental going and renting both a VCR and the movies for a weekend because a VCR cost almost $1K to buy and movies on VHS cost $150 or more to buy. I did have a boxed copy of the original, unmodified Star Wars trilogy on VHS but someone stole it.

Burning Blade

Gold Member
I still remember this! Early 90s me and my buds were trying to learn how to breakdance. Checking out books at the library weren’t cutting it, so to Blockbuster we went. Back in the old days some of those tapes were well over $100, and many weren’t available to rent for some reason. We had worn out their copies of Breakin’ 1/2, but I actually had to buy Beatstreet which cost me $100. I’m 43 and it’s the only VHS tape I still have from my childhood!

Fbh

The first one that I wished for and was "mine" instead of "for the family" was probably the Lion King.
I also fondly remember getting this one for a Birthday:
znnu41120.jpg

It was just some random GT episodes. But back then GT hadn't yet aired where I lived so it felt mindblowing to watch something that takes place after DBZ.

Top Bottom