• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will the quantity of AAA games be like next generation?

Jubenhimer

It may just be me, But it feels like 8th generation has seen less AAA productions yearly from major companies (excluding first party exclusives as that's a separate can of Worms) compared to even last generation. For example, we went from 3 excellent Mass Effect games in 7th gen, to one buggy, glitchy, terrible Mass Effect game in 8th gen. We've gone from 2 Dark Souls Games, to just one. 3 Borderlands titles and a spin-off, to a single Borderlands game. Three Main Final Fantasy games, to just one. Even Ubisoft is slowing up on Assassin's Creed releases from a new game each year, to one or two games every other year. Hell it's the only generation to not receive an exclusive GTA game as GTA V debuted on Last gen Consoles a mere 3 months before 8th gen's launch. Only the yearly franchises like CoD and Sports games can come out regularly. Obviously, the main culprit is the sheer costs AAA game development these days.

With next gen systems being more powerful, costs are obviously going to go up again as developers will take advantage of that new power. Now AAA games will never disappear. There will always be big developers with big ideas who want to make big games. That's always been the case, and that always will be the case. That said, I'm willing to be that the amount of AAA games released each year will be even less than current generation. As it stands, right now, we get around 5-6 AAA Multiplatform games at the beginning of the year till spring, followed by a whole bunch of nothing for Summer, then finally few more AAA multi-platform titles, mostly the annual franchises release for the Fall season. The rest of that is filled with indie games and other smaller, cheaper releases like remasters and mid-budget titles like RPGs.

So with next gen rearing its head and seemingly going to require even more time and money to make AAA games for, how much will that number reduce? Will we dwindle to just 3-4 AAA multiplatform games at the beginning of the year, followed by the sports games for Fall? And if the cost increase does reduce the AAA 3rd party games releases, should publishers spread out their games more through the year so that they have something big for Summer and Fall? Obviously First party AAA games don't have as many of these problems because they typically don't take as much to make due to being exclusive to their respective platforms. But as far as third parties are concerned, they're the ones who should be the most worried, as they put nearly all their eggs into the AAA basket each year.

My guess is that 3rd parties will concentrate largely on the Spring season for their AAA releases, then let the platform holders take the most of the spotlight for Fall to release their games. This is already somewhat the case now, but I imagine it'll be even more-so going into next generation.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Lots of AAA games make huge money. Like, Hollywood money.

Publishers and developers know this, and as long as the demand remains constant, they'll continue putting money into these projects. Sony and Microsoft buying up first party studios isn't just for shits and giggles or some sort of dick waving contest. They know that as the scale and complexity increases, they'll need more and more studios simultaneously making AAA so that they can keep a steady output of titles going throughout the console's lifecycle. Third party studios like EA, Activision, and Ubisoft figured this out last gen, which is why games like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, and Madden all usually get yearly showings.

I don't see them slowing up much...even if they do...good riddance. I'm so sick of this quantity over quality mindset the industry has been in for the last decade. I'd rather have 1 amazing experience a year than 10 mediocre glitchy copy-paste jobs.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Same games just prettier.

Did you really think better hardware would spawn different types of genres? I mean, pc has better hardware than the consoles and they don't have better genres because of better hardware.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Similar to this gen would be my guess. They take a long time to develop with the quality of graphics and needing 4K assets, lots of dialogue to write and record, motion capture performances and so on.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
GAAS will mean fewer games, more roadmaps. why sell 4-5 games a year when you can sell 2 games with a reoccurring charge every month for several years?

Last edited:

Aintitcool

Banned
Next gen you will hear a lot of devs claim they are beyond AAA. AAAA ! Basically next gen will allow indies to make much prettier games with smaller teams and the AAA lines will be really blurred.

Belmonte

Yeah. I'm glad my favorite games usually are AA or indie. I expect AAA to be few and far between next gen. And with lots of Gaas and micro transactions.

Some of my friends who are more into AAA are already losing the desire to game.

Mr Hyde

We've gone from 2 Dark Souls Games, to just one.

I don´t think this qualifies. Yes, we have only gotten one Dark Souls but it´s not like From stopped making games. They have been one of the busiest and most consistent developers of them all this generation, churning out classics such as Bloodborne, DS3, Sekiro and now Elden Ring on its way. Three of these games are also being completely new IPs (which is a pretty fucking impressive feat). Today you are lucky if one studio manages to put out two games during a single generation.

Hypereides

Gold Member
You tell me.

ciuLyqn.png

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
We need Quality of AAA games, not Quantity.

Original ideas and passion can created amazing works like Octopath Traveller.

I'd say we've had about 10 AAA games over the first half of this year.

Anthem
Metro Exodus
Days Gone
Kingdom Hearts III
Mortal Kombat 11
Rage 2
The Division 2
Devil May Cry 5
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro

It will probably become harder to sell linear 10-20 hour games at full price and some of them will have to sell at $40 instead. Personally I could not care less about some arbitrary distinktion of what is AAA, and the industry is the best it has ever been imo.

Jubenhimer

I don´t think this qualifies. Yes, we have only gotten one Dark Souls but it´s not like From stopped making games. They have been one of the busiest and most consistent developers of them all this generation, churning out classics such as Bloodborne, DS3, Sekiro and now Elden Ring on its way. Three of these games are also being completely new IPs (which is a pretty fucking impressive feat). Today you are lucky if one studio manages to put out two games during a single generation.

That's True. FromSoft usually does a good job churning out games on a regular basis. But they're one of the exceptions to the Rule I feel.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That's True. FromSoft usually does a good job churning out games on a regular basis. But they're one of the exceptions to the Rule I feel.

FROM's stuff isn't in the same budgetary bracket as the major AAA titles. They also churn stuff out because they recycle the same code-base heavily. You rarely see complaints because their house-style is so well liked, but the truth is that Bloodborne, Dark Souls3, and Sekiro clearly utilize the same engine, the same UI/Front-end, and share plenty of assets (meshes, sfx, textures, and even animations).

Elden Ring may be a proper step up into the high-budget realm for them. But that remains to be seen,

Last edited:

MrRogers

I want linear/semi open AAA titles back. Ranging from 10 to 30 hour playthroughs, these modern bloated 100+ hour shitexperiences are choking the AAA space. Id give a kidney for the industry to rely on pacing, scenario and level design again. Indie and AA still do em to an extent, but AAA gaas is the new unholy king in town.

Bkdk

Microsoft will release the most AAAs next gen as they’re buying up so many studios. Also, I wish more developers focus on remakes. Creating new AAA IPs is very risky and takes way too much time. I don’t want 5 year plus development time anymore. There are many titles that would benefit from a full blown remake. Examples include command and conquer, silent hill, max Payne, KOTOR, huge backlog of 90s square RPGs, Siren, Spyro and many more. As game development will become even more complex it’s great to have these old titles as a blueprint for developer to commit their effort on so they don’t have to spend so much time on just arguing on what direction the age should go and end up releasing a title with lots of compromises between various ideas from the same team.

I'd say we've had about 10 AAA games over the first half of this year.

Anthem
Metro Exodus
Days Gone
Kingdom Hearts III
Mortal Kombat 11
Rage 2
The Division 2
Devil May Cry 5
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro

It will probably become harder to sell linear 10-20 hour games at full price and some of them will have to sell at $40 instead. Personally I could not care less about some arbitrary distinktion of what is AAA, and the industry is the best it has ever been imo.

I pretty much only play AAA games because I don’t have the time for anything else and I haven’t purchased a new game this year (although I did just pick up divinity original sin 2 that doesn’t count because it’s not new). Personally I don’t count any of these games as AAA. They are all perhaps borderline for their genre but compared to last year which was the year that finally pulled me into buying a PS4 I feel like 2019 is one of the worst years for games for me that I can remember in recent history there is pretty much nothing releasing this year that I’m interested in other than Death Stranding.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally want to see more quality AA games, I feel like most my favourite games this gen didn't have high budget graphics but they had fantastic art direction and fun and interesting gameplay.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I personally want to see more quality AA games, I feel like most my favourite games this gen didn't have high budget graphics but they had fantastic art direction and fun and interesting gameplay.
Those kinds of games have been dropping for a while. You're probably looking for games in the Spec Ops, Darksiders, Just Cause kind of tier.

It's like movies. You either go big AAA blockbuster comic or cartoon movies, or go low budget direct to Netflix and Amazon Prime.

dalekjay

For my needs I need more games to be around 10-30h with a clear ending. Now much of triple A are meant to play indefinitely , which sucks, AC Odissey is good example as how it can be , it serves a 100h person and a 30h person, but it’s not a a eternal loop f gear because of gears to get better gear

Lots of front loaded bling and fanfare, litle substance. Just like mumble rap. 7-14 hours and you will be done and dusted with 90% of titles.

Top Bottom