• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you fix in your most hated game, to turn it into something you enjoy?

♤♡◇ (I don't know what to say)

Just want to address here in the top something important that Danjin44 Danjin44 brought up
I don’t think that’s good idea, since usually those game I didn’t enjoy have its own fanbase and I don’t think devs should change their game drastically just to appeal to people who are not fan to their games in the first place

He is right.
Just want to be clear that this thread is completely hypothetical.

You are basically modding a game you hate, to make your own version that you and only you can play and enjoy, with the devs hypothetically giving you the okay to.

Last edited:
I couldn't even tell you what my most hated game is let alone what I would change about it.

I guess you could say that I hate Fortnite with a passion due to what it's done to the industry so what I would change would be for it to not exist. Fuck anybody that likes Fortnite. Industry would be better if it never existed.

Or just never build the main mode and keep it as this weird tower defense like game it was originally intended as.

I was enjoying TLOU2 gameplay, but it's pacing with all the cutscenes and walkie-talkie sections killed it for me.
reading the op, i'm thinking 'i don't think there's actually any game i hate'. but, seeing this i realize that, yes, truth to tell, i really did & still do deeply, genuinely hate this game. &, as good as the gameplay is, i'll be damned if I can think of a way of 'fixing' it, other than replacing the entire cast with new characters, & creating an entirely new story within the last of us universe. which's what they should've done in the first place, & have just let the original game end as perfectly as it did...

Fbh

Gold Member
Star Ocean 4.
Just nuke the story. The combat and overall gameplay was actually fun but the story and characters are just awful. Either give it a completely now story, or use the same gameplay, levels and enemies but make a completely gameplay focused experience with very few cutscenes.

I was enjoying TLOU2 gameplay, but it's pacing with all the cutscenes and walkie-talkie sections killed it for me.

Yeah I think this is an issue with modern Naughty Dog. It's the same with Uncharted 4.
In both games the actual combat is super fun, but everything outside of combat is boring and poorly paced.
In Uncharted 4 you spend like a third of the game fighting, the rest is spent on lengthy walkng and talking sequences, on rails platforming or lengthy story sequences with little to no gameplay
It's the same with TLOU2. The combat is amazing but then you spend half of the game walking through empty environments looking for supplies by opening mostly empty drawers and cabinets, or you get some lengthy story sequence with little to no gameplay (like all the boring aquarium flashbacks)

Bond007

Not my most hated.
Def my most complained about.

The Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor series. I enjoy the game fundamentally- but the mini map included is so damn broken i cant enjoy the game while i spend 30min looking for where to go.
Like i really really hate that map- it ruined the series.

The Zelda minecraft games. Bring back dungeons and unique items, add a proper story.

Basically make it good

These thread never go very long without someone complaining they just want to play another Ocarina of Time sequel again and again.

I can guarantee, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if this was what Nintendo had been doing post-Skyward Sword there would be nothing but complaining that they need to shake up the formula big time, the sales would be stagnating, and the franchise would be losing it's prestige status. This is what was happening when Skyward Sword came out, people forget! Any franchise that fails to innovate has the same thing happen -- look at Microsoft's stuff like Halo and Gears of War, those used to be huge and now no one gives a shit anymore (relative to how big they used to be, at least) cause they just kept making the same thing over and over.

Last edited:
reading the op, i'm thinking 'i don't think there's actually any game i hate'. but, seeing this i realize that, yes, truth to tell, i really did & still do deeply, genuinely hate this game. &, as good as the gameplay is, i'll be damned if I can think of a way of 'fixing' it, other than replacing the entire cast with new characters, & creating an entirely new story within the last of us universe. which's what they should've done in the first place, & have just let the original game end as perfectly as it did...

I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but the only moments of the game I was actually engaged in, was when you were dealing with the Infected. Those were excellent to me, specially that one boss fight with the big infected you have with Abby.

Dealing with the humans felt so annoyingly "guilt-tripy" and forced, that I was rolling my eyes everytime one of the humans screamed "ANAAAA!", or when I shot the dogs that (I think) there was no way to avoid, "Bobbyyyyy!!"

The one part where dealing with a human was engaging and genuinely great, was
Ellie's boss fight

I'm not gonna get too deep into plot or character stuff, beyond just saying that the only thing I hated about Abby and her campaign, was her boyfriend and the stuff with her father. Beyond that, her side was the one I enjoyed the most. And I like her way more then Ellie (I'm in the minority in this one, I think)

But again, that's mostly informed by the fact that I didn't like the guilt-tripy shit, and the revenge plot. It was so forced and badly written. And it's mostly in Ellie's side. Abby's side you are mostly dealing with Infected.

Last edited:
Remove the time limit in Super Mario 3D World, it killed all the fun for me.

Deleting Undertale would make it enjoyable I guess.

Remove every section with Atreus from God of War Ragnarök.

I installed a hack to remove Baby Mario and his crying from Yoshi's Island recently and boy did it completely transform the game! I still don't think it's great or anything and especially not compared to the masterpiece Super Mario World but now it's at least playable. So that's something.

Last edited:

laynelane

I don't hate Fallout 4 - I've played it quite a few times, but have never finished it. I just grow frustrated and lose interest over time. That said, the ways I would improve it are:

1. Fix the bugs, crashes, glitches, game-breaking quest bugs, etc. Don't release and keep re-releasing a game in that state. Do what you have to in order to bring it up to par with a product people pay for - hire better developers, better quality control, or whatever it takes.

2. Remove all radiant quests and write proper side quests in their place. The Minutemen faction is almost all radiant quests and they're boring and needless time-wasters. Remove the faction if you can't be bothered to write them well.

3. Hire better writers and jettison the main story for an actually compelling one.

4. Write less annoying NPCs and replace them with memorable ones.

5. Make choices matter more often. Far Harbor showed the potential was there, but we don't see that for the majority of the main game.

There's probably more, but those are the main ones for me.

I don't hate Fallout 4 - I've played it quite a few times, but have never finished it. I just grow frustrated and lose interest over time. That said, the ways I would improve it are:

1. Fix the bugs, crashes, glitches, game-breaking quest bugs, etc. Don't release and keep re-releasing a game in that state. Do what you have to in order to bring it up to par with a product people pay for - hire better developers, better quality control, or whatever it takes.
It was after I finished Fallout 4 that I created my own personal rule of never using mods...

Seriously, the fact to make F4 somewhat polished, you had to rely on community fixes, instead of the creators themselves, is wild.

I agree with everything else you said.

laynelane

It was after I finished Fallout 4 that I created my own personal rule of never using mods...

Seriously, the fact to make F4 somewhat polished, you had to rely on community fixes, instead of the creators themselves, is wild.

I agree with everything else you said.

I had a situation where an area kept crashing for me. It was the National Guard Training Yard. I've never had problems with that area. However, Bethesda recently added user-created content to the game as a free...perk? I had purchased two guns from that - a nail gun and a saw blade gun. It occurred to me after a couple crashes that I had never tackled this area while using these guns. Long story short - after some testing, I couldn't even have those guns in my inventory in that area without the game crashing. Once I removed the guns from my inventory and stashed them at a settlement, the area worked fine with no crashes.

The worse thing? This untested user-generated content is added to the game whether you like it or not. They keep adding things that break the game even further - it boggles my mind that no one at Bethesda sees an issue with this. Agreed on the community fixes and how it shouldn't be that way, but it's a definite plus to playing on PC. Speaking of which, there's free content now if you want to boot up your copy again lol. You'll definitely fare better on PC than I do on console.

I had a situation where an area kept crashing for me. It was the National Guard Training Yard. I've never had problems with that area. However, Bethesda recently added user-created content to the game as a free...perk? I had purchased two guns from that - a nail gun and a saw blade gun. It occurred to me after a couple crashes that I had never tackled this area while using these guns. Long story short - after some testing, I couldn't even have those guns in my inventory in that area without the game crashing. Once I removed the guns from my inventory and stashed them at a settlement, the area worked fine with no crashes.
The worse thing? This untested user-generated content is added to the game whether you like it or not. They keep adding things that break the game even further - it boggles my mind that no one at Bethesda sees an issue with this.
Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

I played Fallout 4 years ago, like 2019 I want to say, if this is recent, I'm genuinely shocked that this game is still this broken.
Agreed on the community fixes and how it shouldn't be that way, but it's a definite plus to playing on PC. Speaking of which, there's free content now if you want to boot up your copy again lol. You'll definitely fare better on PC than I do on console.
I had the misfortune of playing it on Console. I used the mods that were available there, and they were great!

Thank you though, I don’t think I will ever play Fallout 4 again 😂 I just can't with that game, which is funny because I put an ungodly amount of hours on it.

Rudius

just being able to tell what's your "most hated game" is some truly weird masochist behavior
Yeah, kinda weird. I don't have a most hated game, but the most disappointing one was Spyro Enter the Dragonfly. I was coming from the amazing Insomniac trilogy on PS1 and knew nothing about the change in developers back then. Went in expecting a next gen evolution and got fucked.

To make it something I enjoy they would have to make it good, lol. So basically redoing most things from scratch and finishing everything properly.

lol, why code it? Just say you want to remove all non-white characters from games.
Remove DEI from every game and we have a deal.
If I can play "devils" advocate here, I don't think he has an issue with non-white people.

I'm guessing it's the whole phony, virtue signally initiative to cram in diverse characters, instead of just MAKING diverse characters because that's what you artistically want to do.

At least that's how I see the good faith issue with DEI.
If Griffon just really not like them colored folks, then...
The KKK is hiring, I guess.

Rexket

Banned
Make the AI in Ni no Kuni not shit. Make the mon collecting not random. Make all out defend apply to the character your controlling instead of having to manually scroll to defend. Stop having the characters explain shit for the thousandth time. Make the story not some Studio Ghibli knockoff and have them do more than the visuals.

Kumomeme

not all game that 'hated' was due to personal subjective preferences. there is games that genuinely has bad stuff that need proper fixing.

for example RDR2's slog unresponsiveness control. no need to has super crisp control like MGSV but just make it bit more responsive and less chore to play is enough.

same goes with Witcher 3. fix the unresponsive animation especially in combat. controling geralt is like control a drunk npc.

Dragon Quest XI? fix the damn music. need more variety.

there is games that require more work than just a patch hole fix.

FF13 for example, put goddam towns in it and give more player agency. slide in worldbuilding in dialogue or item description.

FF15? simply finish the game in one package. dont separate all content through different media or separate DLC. release first and patch later is bad practice even for MMO and yet they did it with a single player game.

Ubisoft open world games as general? reduce the icon and its dependency on minimap.

Last edited:
Fire all of Game Freak and replace them with literally anyone else drastically improving the chances of their crap not sucking.
As someone that can't stomach 1 hour of any Pokémon game because:

- Reading through NPCs dialogue is actually the most boring, plain, vapid experience you can have in ANY game. Which is funny when you consider that talking to NPCs is considered an essential, engaging part of RPGs.

- Being stopped in my tracks to be told things they could have told me when I was there, is unnecessarily infuriating

- And the gameplay being as deep as a puddle, but somehow needs a excruciatingly long, tutorial section for it, that I can't skip, is again, infuriating (I KNOW THESE GAMES ARE MADE FOR KIDS. PLEASE, I KNOW.
IIT'S IRRELEVANT, BECAUSE THEN MY ISSUE WOULD BE THAT THEY THINK CHILDREN ARE THAT UNCREATIVE AND BRAINDEAD, WHICH THEY ARE NOT)

THANK YOU, for saying that.
It sucks ass that Pokémon games tend to have such a great soundtrack and fantastic character designs, but as a game, for me, they are T E R R I B L E.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Oh yes, another collection of hot takes.

If we speak about truly hated games, I’d say Dawn of War 3 could’ve been fixed with proper squad-based strategy and not MOBA parody we’ve got. Strange to think that this game introduced Imperial Knights to the masses in most lame way possible. They should’ve stick to the style of that terrific CG trailer (rip Axis Animation).

What did Undertale have that made you want it gone? If you want to talk about that.

Not a bait question for debate, I didn't play the game, just curious.
I'm aware of the "love it or hate it" reception of it.
I wouldn't want it gone for everyone, just from my console or computer.. :messenger_grinning:

I just didn't "get it", the whole game just rubs me the wrong way. For me everything was just annoying and made my skin crawl, from the characters to the writing, dialogue, graphics and music. Imagine sitting in a room full of people and someone tells a joke. Everyone starts laughing because they're in on the joke - except for you, and you're thinking "what, what's funny?"

That's the feeling I had when playing the game. Every single little detail about the game made me annoyed, confused or just made me cringe. It's different though, I'll give it that.

StueyDuck

These thread never go very long without someone complaining they just want to play another Ocarina of Time sequel again and again.

I can guarantee, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if this was what Nintendo had been doing post-Skyward Sword there would be nothing but complaining that they need to shake up the formula big time, the sales would be stagnating, and the franchise would be losing it's prestige status. This is what was happening when Skyward Sword came out, people forget! Any franchise that fails to innovate has the same thing happen -- look at Microsoft's stuff like Halo and Gears of War, those used to be huge and now no one gives a shit anymore (relative to how big they used to be, at least) cause they just kept making the same thing over and over.
I don't even have to guarantee anything though, there's literally proof that Zelda became a lesser game and super boring for minecraft kids, why ponder on what we may or may not have known when what we do have is bland and uninteresting.

Let the kids have their minecraft and just make a proper Zelda game.

Filben

I don't know what my most hated game even is because I rarely hate games. And if there was a game I hate I've already deleted it from my mind and moved on and I wouldn't think it can't be fixed without having a whole different game then. There's no point in that. I usually dislike or do not enjoy some or many games. And if we change 'hated' for 'disliked' it's probably too much to change it's not even similar to the game before anymore.

But reading some responses here I don't think we really talk about 'hated' games; I don't know if this is American hyperbole and it's just dislike masked as hate or people really hate the whole bloody game because of a soundtrack, a single character or the lack of characters' hotness.

Top Bottom