• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the deal with Guild Wars?

www.guildwars.com

It's an online RPG... no monthly fees. You buy the game and that's that. Expansions will be sold, but they won't be required unless you want the added content. Looks surprisingly decent considering that.

Apparently they had an online trial that ran during E3... Did anyone try it? I've heard next nothing about this game on these forums and the fansites that are involved with this game seem to just regurgitate the same information from the official site.

Andy787

Banned
I played it during E3, and to be quite honest, despite some very pretty graphics, the game was pretty fucking boring.

Sorry, that's all I got.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Neutron Night said:
Don't be fooled. They will release regular "chapters" to complete the game. Of course, you don't have to buy them. Right.

But if you are in a guild that already owns them, you don't have to buy them.

It's an Online RPG...like Diablo. It's *not* a MMORPG.

The E3 build wasn't anything to go by because it was A) Restricted on classes, etc. B) locked at level 15. Half the fun of Diablo is totally customizing and creating a character to your will and picking up "uber-ph4t" loot to show around/pimp.

Yeah, I didn't call it a MMORPG in my post because of that... on the site it basically said you go on quests with your own group. The area you go to will be created just for you, so you won't see like 50 other people wandering about. I'm more interested in games like that than MMORPGs, personally... and it's also why I don't find this whole no-fee/optional add-on thing unbelievable.

I figured the beta was restricted in some sense, but does anyone have any other opinions on the actual gameplay? I'm mostly interested in the mechanics of fighting and ease of use, basically.

From what I remember, the gameplay seemed pretty...Diablo-esque. The mechanics were pretty similar, as far as I remember (and I have a pretty crap memory). You hack away/cast spells at baddies ad nauseum. There wasn't any Guild vs. Guild action, so I can't comment on that either.

Semjaza Azazel said:
www.guildwars.com

It's an online RPG... no monthly fees. You buy the game and that's that. Expansions will be sold, but they won't be required unless you want the added content.

Yes, and did you know that in Magic: The Gathering, even a starter deck can defeat a hardcore player's deck? You don't have to buy extra cards and can just enjoy the fun of playing, haha!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Andy787 said:
I played it during E3, and to be quite honest, despite some very pretty graphics, the game was pretty fucking boring.

Sorry, that's all I got.

I found that too, has to be said though, there was no character progression in that beta. They maxed everyone out to start.

Top Bottom