• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the longest you've been on hold?

poodaddy

Gold Member
I'm sitting at about 54 minutes right now, but I've been on hold for over three hours with the VA before, so this is nowhere near my record. I wanna just hang up, but this is a very important call and this person seems averse to answering her emails. Jesus this hold music is making me murderously angry.

So hit me, what's the longest you've been on hold.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If rather hold than the 'call back later'.
Me trying to speak to someone at the DMV to confirm I'm not some guy from Philly who has the same name as me and a string of DUI's.
Call at 7.59am
"Our office hours are 8:00am to...."
Hang up, call at 8:00am
"All our lines are busy please try again later *click*"
Call anytime during business hours:
"All our lines are busy please try again later *click*"

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Gold Member
Calling the US IRS from EU. On hold for about 40 minutes before a human answered. As a bonus, forced to listen to the most horrible music with intermittent grrrrrzzzzrrrr sounds at ear piercing decibels, caused by the distance I assume.

Solarstrike

Last week about an hour with Kroger for messing up my order. Delivery was early a.m and the US customer support wasn't open yet so they patched me over to the Caribbean, which I guess handles their support for the US Central and East Coast. Was on hold for 30min then about another 30 with a nice Caribbean lady. Anyway, here's some hold music while we're waiting:

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
10 months. When Virgin wouldn't refund my New York trip at the start of Covid, hours upon hours on hold on the phone, hang ups after hang ups

Utterly done me that did.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Trying to reset my PIN for Social Security. They stopped mailing me those annual informational documents stating how much I have paid in during my lifetime, and how much I am entitled to when I reach the retirement age. I left my phone on the charger and on speaker while I worked. Five hours and some change, just for someone to finally answer, and when I responded they acted like they couldn't hear me and hung up on me. My phone speaker was not muted nor redirected to another Apple device.

As you can imagine, I was pissed. I had to actually find out where the nearest office was and go in.

It was a two hour wait just for someone to take about two minutes to reset my PIN.

:pie_lcry:

Trogdor1123

3 hours over a cellphone bill. Was torture. They fucked up royally and couldn’t figure out how to fix it. Then, one random lady comes on to help, 30 seconds later, if not less, she fixed it.

She was a wizard

About an hour. It was with my ISP after they got bought out and they wouldn't let me update my plan online.

To my surprise, they let me know I qualified for a government subsidy on my monthly payments PLUS much better speeds, so that one hour saved me something like $500 and hours of download time in the long run.

I never did inquire about the months they hadn't applied that subsidy on. Wonder if they'd be liable for it 🤔

badblue

Gold Member
about 6 hours.

Had to call the government and they have their system set up in a way that if there are too many people on hold already, you get told to "try again later" and the call disconnects. That took about an hour of trying before I go into the hold queue. Was on hold about for 2 1/2 hours before someone picked up, they couldn't help me so I was transferred back to the main phone menu instead of the department they were "trying" to transfer me too. After that menu I was back in another multi hour hold queue.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
3 hours over a cellphone bill. Was torture. They fucked up royally and couldn’t figure out how to fix it. Then, one random lady comes on to help, 30 seconds later, if not less, she fixed it.

She was a wizard

3-4 hours for me for a similar issue. Basically did a phone trade in plan for credit. Never got the credit and got charged. Spent 4-5 hours waiting. Yelling at someone new and then waiting again. Took about 2 months ultimately for everything to get resolved.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Maybe around 30 minutes? Luckily haven't been in too many situations to even be on hold.
Sir/ma'am....you are a lucky individual. I feel like phone work has been the bane of my existence for the past twenty years. I'd pay thousands a year, no exaggeration, to not have to deal with this shit, like a service where they handle annoying phone conversations and obligations....kinda like a secretary but I don't make enough to actually pay for a secretary lol.

poodaddy

Gold Member
about 6 hours.

Had to call the government and they have their system set up in a way that if there are too many people on hold already, you get told to "try again later" and the call disconnects. That took about an hour of trying before I go into the hold queue. Was on hold about for 2 1/2 hours before someone picked up, they couldn't help me so I was transferred back to the main phone menu instead of the department they were "trying" to transfer me too. After that menu I was back in another multi hour hold queue.
This post made me suicidal with empathy. I'm so sorry man.

KrakenIPA

I used to work front desk at a hotel, so while a guest was waiting for me to congregate with Booking.com so we could work together to solve an issue i would put the hold music on speaker phone while they would also be on hold with Booking.com, does that count as 2x multiplier?

When I switched to night audit i would wait for hours and finish tasks while listening to hold music. I miss those days.

Quick Edit: the US VA is on par with the California DMV as the most soul sucking hellscape no man or woman should ever encounter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom