• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the most main systems in the market at once?

Hollywood

Banned
Oh man ... this is the most ever ... think late next year too ...

XBox 2 (fall 2005)
PSP (spring 2005)
Xbox
PS2
Gamecube
DS
Game Boy Advance

7 at once!?!?!

And stragglers like ...

Zodiac
NGage
Phantom

What's been the most ever at once?

The industry is becoming oversaturated in terms of both hardware and software.

We'll just have to see how it pans out though.

I think the amount of hardware and software being put onto the market in unprecidented though.

I remember the days on the Genny/SNES when you'd have like maybe two or three big games for the entire September-December period (Donkey Kong Country, Sonic & Knuckles, Mortal Kombat 2, etc.).

Right now, even if you had the money to purchase all these games, I don't think you'd have the time to play through even half of them properly.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
The first E3 in 1994 had games for the SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Sega CD, 32x, Game Gear, NES, 3DO, Lynx, Jaguar, CDI, Neo Geo, and PC all on display at once.

Also Saturn and Playstation. Teehee.

The thing is though Jaguar and 3DO and systems like that were really more like fringe systems.

Most retailers didn't stock them, they didn't have much of a marketing campaign, and the software output was a few titles per month.

fennec fox

soundwave05 said:
The thing is though Jaguar and 3DO and systems like that were really more like fringe systems.

Most retailers didn't stock them, they didn't have much of a marketing campaign, and the software output was a few titles per month.
Were you living in the US in 1994? There was enormous hype for both systems.

Hollywood

Banned
Um ... main ones then were ...

SNES
Genesis
Game Boy
Game Gear

Really .. and 32X and Sega CD were add ons. Not really whole seperate systems.

fennec fox said:
The first E3 in 1994 had games for the SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Sega CD, 32x, Game Gear, NES, 3DO, Lynx, Jaguar, CDI, Neo Geo, and PC all on display at once.

Also Saturn and Playstation. Teehee.

Was the CD32 at that show?

Yeah I lived in the US in 1994.

Many major retailers did not stock either the 3DO (ridiculous price) or the Jaguar.

Neither had any real TV presence in terms of marketing and software wasn't all that abundant either, though I think 3DO garnered a decent amount of CD-ROM shovelware.

1994 was the year Donkey Kong Country, Earthworm Jim, and Sonic & Knuckles were the major console releases for fall '94, alongside of course Mortal Kombat 2. It was also I believe the year launched the ill-fated 32X (that fall).

I have a pretty good memory.

BTW, I believe 1995 (not 1994) was the first year of E3. Prior to that video game hardware and software manufacturers would setup shop at the CES trade shows.

fennec fox

They were all nationally-distributed systems with real print and TV advertising. The 3DO even had its own magazine. Why are we arguing over the definition of "main" here?

Also, the first E3 was 1995. Sorry.

They were all nationally-distributed systems with real print and TV advertising. The 3DO even had its own magazine. Why are we arguing over the definition of "main" here?

Yeah, but by that definition we could also consider the Nokia N-Gage as a "main" platform.

The first E3 was in 1995, it's the infamous moment where Sony upstaged Sega by dropping the $299.99 Playstation price point.

fennec fox

soundwave05 said:
Yeah, but by that definition we could also consider the Nokia N-Gage as a "main" platform.
Are you the sort of person who says "Brown and black and white" whenever someone asks what color your eyes are?

Alcibiades

I think the current situation debunks the myth that the market can only handle "two consoles" at once...

The US moves from 500,000-1 million units per month of PS2/XBox/GCN/GBA currently in regular months...

There are just tons of people playing games now, and really something for everybody, and even the current "failure" is pushing 100,000+ a month...

I'm really surprised at how well Pokemon has maintained a level of popularity... While it won't reach the numbers it did on GB/GBC, it's held on to so many many fans it's amazing...

jarrod

Banned
Probably 1994...

-Famicom/NES
-Game Boy
-Super Famicom/NES
-Super Game Boy
-PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16
-PC Engine CD-ROM2/Turbo CD
-PC Engine Super CD-ROM/Turbo Duo
-SuperGrafx
-PC-FX
-Master System
-Mega Drive/Sega Genesis
-Kids/Game Gear
-Mega/Sega CD
-Mega/Gensis/Sega 32X
-Sega Saturn
-PlayStation
-FM Town's Marty
-3DO
-Atari Lynx
-Atari Jaguar
-Neo Geo AES
-Neo Geo CD
-CD-I
-Playdia

...were all different game dedicated formats active at retail. Probably more I'm missing.

Top Bottom