• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your definition of a dead system?

cvxfreak

As the DS launch gets closer, some people have said that the GBA will die within six months, and the same goes for the Xbox and Xenon next year. I for one disagree, especially on the GBA, because a dead system doesn't just come about when its successor or quasi-successor come to market. Anyway, my definition of a dead system is pretty obvious:

- No considerable new titles coming out (this doesn't fit the GBA)
- Sales are on their last legs (this doesn't fit the GBA)
- Manufacturing is being reduced or phased out (this doesn't fit with the GBA)
- Company support diminishes entirely (this doesn't fit with the GBA)

Anyone have any other input?

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
gamecube.jpg

Ranger X

I totally agree but there's one thing people tend to forget. The DS does everything the SP do and more. If the DS is successfull, people will start to choose and most probably the DS. It will then start to take sales away from the SP, then support will drop, then the SP will die. How long does that take? -- Obviously more than a year because the SP is fucking strong but don't bet it will last 3 years.

My old PS2 that crapped out on me after a year. FUCK YOU SONY!

j/k i still love em, but make more reliable hardware next gen, please.

snapty00

Banned
If I rarely (if ever) play it; AND
My friends rarely (if ever) play it; AND
It doesn't have a significant amount of high-profile exclusives coming that are highly relevant to the mainstream market.

I highly doubt GBA dies before 2008, if that. It'll be late 2007 before Xbox dies, and it might last even longer than that. And GameCube might make it through next year.

AniHawk

When the manufacturer stops supporting it with ads, software, and hardware (as in shuts down production permanently).

So Sega Dreamcast is a good example. Well, kinda. Sega still releases games on the system every blue moon, but they've stopped the other two things.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
When the manufacturer stops supporting it with ads, software, and hardware (as in shuts down production permanently).

So Sega Dreamcast is a good example. Well, kinda. Sega still releases games on the system every blue moon, but they've stopped the other two things.

They're usually Naomi ports, too, so they really don't count for much. =/

P90

Many here would say, "Any system that doesn't have Sony on it". Of course, when it has "Sony" on it the system is inoperable or dysfunctional after three months of light use.

GhaleonEB

CVXFREAK said:
As the DS launch gets closer, some people have said that the GBA will die within six months, and the same goes for the Xbox and Xenon next year. I for one disagree, especially on the GBA, because a dead system doesn't just come about when its successor or quasi-successor come to market. Anyway, my definition of a dead system is pretty obvious:

- No considerable new titles coming out (this doesn't fit the GBA)
- Sales are on their last legs (this doesn't fit the GBA)
- Manufacturing is being reduced or phased out (this doesn't fit with the GBA)
- Company support diminishes entirely (this doesn't fit with the GBA)

Anyone have any other input?

One I don't play. This would include the PS2 and GC.

cvxfreak

It's perfectly fine to consider a system dead if it doesn't satisfy you on a personal level to a point where you just stop playing it.

Rhindle

A system is dead when few (if any) new high-profile 3rd party releases are being announced for it. Cube is teetering on the brink at the moment. Xbox will probably hang in there until E3 '05, after that it's toast.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Rhindle said:
A system is dead when few (if any) new high-profile 3rd party releases are being announced for it.
Why specifically third party? I perceive it as: The system isn't really dead until they stop making games for it within a reasonable time frame (ie: not a random game every year) or on a personal level one that you don't play.

Sure it's up to opinion on what "we" define as truly dead but that third party part caught my attention. I don't disagree but I'm just curious that's all.

snapty00

Banned
DS and PSP will overtake the GBA. It's just the matter of when that's much more questionable. I think it'll be several years.

Brannon

A system is truly dead when a company buys all the remaining consoles, guts them and turns the Jaguar Husks into dentistry equipment, Monster Hunter style...

imagin_home.jpg

Don't laugh, IT LOOKED LIKE A TOILET BEFORE REMEMBER.

Top Bottom