• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite piece of game music?

The thread about the best game soundtracks got me listening to game music again. I really haven't played all that many games compared to most of you guys, so I have a limited selection to pick from. Out of the games I've played, the coolest track I've heard is Hell March in C&C Red Alert. It just freaking rules. The marching in the background and the riff...oh man, I remember when I first heard it when I was around 8, it was so cool. Listening to it brings back memories.

Teddman

I like the main NiGHTS theme, the techno-esque remix.

Also the main theme from Tempest 2000, and about a dozen tracks from Chrono Trigger.

AniHawk

Teddman said:
I like the main NiGHTS theme, the techno-esque remix.

The Sonic Adventure one?

My favorites...

NiGHTS into dreams... Theme (orchestrated version)
Scars of Time (Chrono Cross)
Staff Credits (The Wind Waker)
Credits (Metroid Prime)
Phendrana Drifts (Metroid Prime)
Memory of Lightwaves (Final Fantasy X-2)
FFCC theme (technoish remix)

Descedent of Shinobi (Yuffie's Theme), Locke's Theme, Not Alone (from FF9), or the Opera Theme from FF6. Too hard to decide a favorite.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
That would be a draw between "Ghosts of reach" in Halo 2 and "Waves in the morning Haze" from Shenmue Orchestra (version used in shenmue2)

etiolate

Banned
#1. Super Metroid - Brinstar Red Soil Swamp Area

and then some others

Tempest 2000 - First Levels "Television is the Retina of the Mind's Eye"
" " - First Bonus Level

Final Fantasy 6 - Epitath and Awakening

Chrono Trigger - End of Time

hobbitx

Triple tie, sorry.

Submarine song from FFVII (I've been meaning to get the mp3 of this, what's it's name or can someone pm me a link?)

Lost Woods song from LttP (Just as wonderful as the submarine song, yet this song has such a beautiful sadness to it.)

Shadowland's Opening Theme (I swear this is the most amazing sounding techno-folk track I've ever heard in my life!)

Runner up: Beauty and the Beast Snes :lol
Seriously, it's a typical license game, but the music from the first level is just godly.

I wish more games had electric sounding music, the live music from today's stuff kinda bores me really, not all of course.

I really love most of the Phantasy Star Online soundtracks, my favorite being probably the De Rol Le theme. I just love how techno is blended in with melody.. it just really comes off very nice. Lots of jazz, blues, rock, and pop sounding rhythms with the techno. Blends so well and it's so easy to listen to.

I would also have to go with some of the music in FFXI, mainly Heaven's Tower, which is simplistic, but so beautful.

Andy787

Banned
Red Alert 2's Hell March is even better. Anyway;

Half-Life 2
Half-Life
Shenmue 1 and 2
Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3
Halo 1
Phantasy Star Online
Metroid Prime
Mario RPG series
Jet Set Radio series
Max Payne 2 theme
GunGrave theme
Zone of the Enders 2 theme
Final Fantasy series
Pikmin series
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If we are talking individual songs... hmmm

- The Duke 3d theme done orchestral for that one E3 trailer was really damn good.
- Kuldahar from Icewind Dale is haunting and very very cool.
- The Total Annihilation theme from the intro video is one of the more epic pieces of game music out there.
- Danny Elfman's Fable theme was excellent.
- Harry Griegson William's renditions of the Metal Gear Solid theme are good.

There are plenty more, like some Jesper Kyd stuff (freedom fighters soundtrack is one giant aural joy) and lots of music from Halo 2.

so so so many.

two standouts for me:

Emerald Suites music in Invisible War (it seemed to capture the dystopian feeling of the world and it was filled with 'latent attitude' too, pity the game wasnt ü)

Temple of Helm theme in BG2, so epic and proud with religious overtones, made me respect the Helmites and complete all their quests.

and one more:
Diernora's theme from Planescape:Torment. a variation of the fantastic main theme, but slower and tortured. beautiful.

XS+

Banned
Current favorites:

Night Flight (Outrun 2)
Life Was a Bore (Outrun 2)
Flight In The Dark (SCUD Race)
Reality (Ikaruga)
The Cursed Image (Soul Calibur)
On the Bowl (Jet Set Radio)

But yeah there's too many to name.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Too many from RPGs.

Secret of Mana - Fear of the Angels
Seiken Densetsu 3 - Innocent Sea
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Overworld Theme
Final Fantasy V - A Presentiment (best opening music in any Final Fantasy, especially the orchestrated version)
Final Fantasy VI - Coin Song / The Mystic Forest / Epitaph
Final Fantasy VII - Anxious Heart
Final Fantasy VIII - Find Your Way
Final Fantasy IX - Frontier Village Dali
Baten Kaitos - To The End of The Journey of Shining Stars
Chrono Trigger - The Brink of Time
Chrono Cross - Frozen Flame
Dragon Quest III - Prologue
Dragon Quest VI - Dream World
Illusion of Gaia - Babel Tower / Legacy of the Ancients
Terranigma - City of Dead
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - Old Man's Prayer 2

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
in no particular order ;

windmill hut - ocarina of time
sailing music - wind waker
morrigan - super puzzle fighter
emerald hill zone - sonic 2
load game screen/tallon overworld - metroid prime
forest of illusion - super mario world
spark man stage - megaman 3
mario circuit/rainbow road - super mario kart
big blue - f zero gx
clock tower factory - super monkey ball 2

Final Fantasy Pray (Risa Ohki's vocal version of the FF theme on the CD with the same name)
La Passione Commuove la Storia (Risa Ohki's version of the Suikoden 2 ending on the CD with the same name)
Small Two of Pieces (Joanne Hogg on Xenogears OST)
Pain (Joanne Hogg on Xenosaga OST)
Aeris Theme (orchestral version on the arranged FF7 CD)

Nothing comes near these five.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Mike Tyson's Punch Out "Anthem".

It has to be the overworld theme from Super Mario Bros on the NES.

Others worth mentions though:

Legend of Zelda: Overworld Theme
Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past: Sanctuary Theme, Hyrule Castle, Dark World
Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker: The Great Sea, Staff Credits
Final Fantasy VII: Jenova, Sephiroth, Aeris Theme, Battle Theme, One Winged Angel
Final Fantasy VIII: Liberi Fatali
Ocarina of Time: Gerudo Valley, Saria's Theme
Soul Calibur II: Hubris
Metroid Prime: Savegame Select screen music
Metal Gear Solid 2: Harry Gregson-Williams' intro theme thing << awesome

theres more, especially from the 16 bit days, stuff that I'd love to see re-mixed/used but I can't think of em at the moment.

Ranger X

I don't know the exact names but..

-Aeris Theme in FF7
-Lava levels in Donkey Kong Country 2
-The music in the Esper dimension FF6

shpankey

not an idiot
I'd say just about anything from the game Myth: The Fallen Lords by Marty O'Donnell and Mike (Salvatory?) from Bungie. I have wore out my soundtrack disk from that game awhile back from listening to it so much over the years.

Amir0x

Banned
Katamari Damacy - Asuka Sakai, Charlie Kosei - Que Sera Sera: Just the absurdity of the lyrics is enough to make this one instantly memorable, but soon it's in your head and it consumes you.

Earthbound - Keiichi Suzuki - Eight Melodies (Piano Version): This song is meant to be the theme of the various points around Earthbound, but the moment it really hits you is during a scene of childhood nostalgia, when Ness walks up a black and white hill toward the home of his memories. He walks inside and sees the crib where he was contained as a baby, and for a moment... you see everything he has loved and everything he has lost from taking this journey rolled into one instant. It's perfect.

Super Mario 64 - Koji Kondo - Dire, Dire Docks: The allure of this track is summarized in three words... Dream Like Quality. It's an extremely relaxing theme that perfect captures the idea of a level filled with water, while capturing the awe and dream quality of the entire Super Mario 64 experience. It's just fantastic.

Xenogears (Creid) - Yasunori Mitsuda - Creid: Summarizes everything I love about the console RPG in music. Wish the stories in RPGs these days could capture my imagination as much as this track does, but I digress ;)

The Legend of Zelda (Various) - Hyrule Symphony - Hyrule Field: If ever there was a theme in gaming that captured the whimsical childlike feeling of exploration that is so perfectly displayed by the gameplay in a Zelda game, it happens to be the theme contained within Zelda - Hyrule Field. Nuff' said. Get it today ;)

Final Fantasy VII - J-E-N-O-V-A Absolute and Aeris' Theme: I didn't want to have two different sections for this, but herein lies my favorite boss theme and my favorite [female] character theme. I love them both for great justice!

And there are others, especially within Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross and... shit, there are a lot others. But there you go.

Soul Blade - Opening Theme (To Shine!)

Streets if Rage 2 - Level 1 theme

Metal Slug - Final Mission music

C&C Red Alert - Hell March

Bloodrayne - "Argentina 3" (shut up)

COCKLES

being watched
Everything on Commodore 64
Super R-Type - Shitty SNES compilationesque version.
Castlevania IV
Secret Of Mana
Nights
Ridge Racer Series
Deus Ex
Halo 1 & 2
Enclave
Fable

Solid

edarknesscd1.jpg

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Metroid - Brinstar, title theme

Super Metroid - Brinstar, theme during Samus' opening monologue, spore spawn battle, crateria, norfair

Chrono Trigger - Title theme, final battle, magus battle, ocean palace, zeal island, and 1000 AD overworld theme

Secret of Mana - Title theme (Fear of the Heavens, I think), dark lich battle, last battle, gia's navel theme

FF7 - Underneath the Rotting Pizza

Link to the Past - Hyrule Castle, Dark world

Adventure of Link - Temple theme

Legend of Zelda - Title, overworld theme

Castlevania - Main theme

MGS2 - Main theme

Mario 1 - Main theme

Mario 3 - Pipe world, ending theme

Mario world - Special world theme

Punch Out - In game fighting music

Mega Man 2 - Wily's castle, title screen, metal man, air man, flash man

Mega Man 3 - Wily's Castle, title theme, snake man, gemini man, magnet man, top man

Rez - Level 5

bah, there's too many to list, can't pick a favorite either :/

Top Bottom