• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Favorite Video Game Intro?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tekken Tag

KoTOR (for feeling like a movie trailer... really singing to the star wars fiend in me!)

And for the old school... Wasteland!!!

jett

D-Member
Ninja Gaiden I & II
FFVIII
MGS
MGS2
Gran Turismo(JPN version...the intro was ruined in the US version thanks to the asstastic techno music)
SSBM
Soul Calibur II
Tekken 3
Ridger Racer Type 4
Sonic Adventure
ICO

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
every time one of these topics comes up i have to dig out my copy of soul edge and watch that intro 50 times. i should just find a fucking mp3 or something. TO SHINE!

3phemeral

drohne said:
every time one of these topics comes up i have to dig out my copy of soul edge and watch that intro 50 times. i should just find a fucking mp3 or something. TO SHINE!

I found the original song, but the climax that they have near the end when the background music drops and all you hear is "ahh (ahhh [ahhhhh]) TO SHINE" is ruined by "you gotta gotta get to edge. soul!"

I was thinking about just extracting the mp3 from the fmv file because the original song ruins my high :)

Oh, and reading jett's post reminded me of how Ninja Gaiden was.. I was so in awe with that introduction, and the character design for the villian. When I saw the cape whipping side to side with the lightning momentarily illuminating his face I was like, "damn.. that's so freakin' awesome!" I played the hell out of the game for month and months, even after I beat it.

lachesis

historically, Ys II on MSX2. Primitive, yes, but the impact it had on me was like.. "whoa" at that time.

A lot of opening movies do impress me a lot - there are only few that I don't like to be honest. I loved original BioHazard on PSX with Chris smoking, It was da shit. ;)

lachesis

Lakitu

st5fu
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Resident Evil (Remake)
Resident Evil: Code-Veronica X
Ridge Racer Type 4
Soul Calibur II
Tekken 2
Tekken 3
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 2
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Final Fantasy X
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3

jiggle

1.Final Fantasy VIII
2.Final Fantasy X
3.Unlimited Saga
4.Chrono Cross
5.Final Fantasy X-2
6.Onimusha 3
7.Monster Hunter
8.Breath of Fire V

Just noticed all the non Square ones are from Capcom.

GhaleonEB

Panzer Dragoon, the original. No game has since pulled me into it's world so fast - the music, design, original language and sense of history still move me. That music - my god.

xexex

Banned
Phantasy Star Universe intro

Phantasy Star Online intro (although I dont like the game)

Tekken 4 Intro (both arcade and PS2)

Tekken Tag Intro (both arcade and PS2)

Soul Calibur 2 intro (GC and PS2 versions)

Ace Combat 4 intro

Phantasy Star IV intro

Mumbles

The only ones I can even remember clearly are...

Mega man 2

Suikoden 2 - okay, it's not *quite* an intro, but the sepia-toned sequence kicked ass.

FF8

Ridge Racer 4

Unlimited Saga

Cimarron

Phantasy Star online version 2.0
Wild Arms
Chrono Trigger
Soul Edge (To shine!)
Colony Wars (When I was very young the Earth empire ruled the skies!)
Shining Force 3
Vagrant story
Kingdom Hearts
Lunar (Sega CD) FIGHTING! THROUGH DARKNESS! ALL THATS EVIL BUT WE MUST PRESS ON! BLAH BLAH BLAH! EVIL FORCES. TAKE HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED! HEY! HEY!
They looked absolute insane running like maniacs at 5fps animation! LOL! :D

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
When I come into a thread this late I always find myself trying to think of something that someone else hasn't picked.

MGS2
FFVIII - that fight scene was so nice.
RE:CV
I know it's not a game into, but I really like the Team Ninja into at the start of their games. So nice.
Silent Hill 2 & 3

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Grandia. Easily.

I don't think any game into has ever captured the sense of an awaiting grand adventure like that intro did. It's music is fucking classic, and the accompanying rendered/anime intro is a sight to behold. Can't believe I am the only one that thinks so.

Katamari%20Damacy%20-%20Intro%20Ducks.jpg

Tsubaki

Wellington said:
Grandia. Easily.

I don't think any game into has ever captured the sense of an awaiting grand adventure like that intro did. It's music is fucking classic, and the accompanying rendered/anime intro is a sight to behold. Can't believe I am the only one that thinks so.

Grandia is the my Game of all time (GOAT!). I know exactly what you mean.

Wellington said:
Grandia. Easily.

You're not the only one. The scene with Justin, Sue, and Feena looking over the wall at the other side of the world still thrills me. I used to have a small standee of it sitting on my desk and I have it as wallpaper on my pc from time to time.

The music was amazing too.

I love Suikoden 2's opening and its very dramatic music as well. Also, who can forget Super Metroid: "The last metroid is in captivity, the galaxy is at peace."

User 406

Banned
Dynasty Warriors 2. Pure badassery.

Starts off with Zhou Yu playing the flute, then he tosses it up in the air and as it passes in front of the moon, THE GUITARS START GOING OFF AND A BILLION MOTHERFUCKING FIRE ARROWS FLY THROUGH THE AIR AND SHIPS ON FIRE AND DNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDN ZHAO YUN CHARGES A FUCKING ARMY ON HORSEBACK AND DNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDNDN CAO CAO HAS ALL OF CHINA LINED UP BEHIND HIM AND FUCK YEAH, I'M READY TO TAKE THEM ALL ON RIGHT NOW

Two that stick out in my mind are Front Mission 4, and I love the intro for Gun Griffon on te Sega Saturn. One of the best mech intros ever produced! I could think of a lot of others but those two give me goosebumps!

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Ninja Gaiden 1 - the original videogame cinematic intro. It was just so damn cool back then. Me as kid: "Wow it's like... a movie!?"

Panzer Dragoon Saga - the opening sequence wastes no time in blindsiding you with visionary originality and weirdness. You are thrown into a situation where it's a whole different world with alternate nations with their own politics, an alien-sounding language, and its own ecology. And then within moments you see it has its own prehistory and mythology too.

Katamari Damashii - Recent entry. Anyone who sees this intro demands for it to be seen anywhere between three to thirteen more times.

Eric-GCA

Banned
ICO - No need to explain

FF9 - had a bunch of beatiful FMV's at the begining

Metroid Prime - I remember, a lot of people couldn't believe it was real-time when it was first shown at E3 2002.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Final Fantasy VII
Tekken Tag Tournament
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Ridge Racer R4 "Can you feel the heat?...Rockin to the beat!"

Future

Another +1 for Sonic CD intro. Brought Sonic to life exactly how I imagined he'd be from playing the original game. What I saw in those few minutes is better than almost everything I've seen since then in an animated Sonic

FFVIII - Fithos! Vinosec!

Resident Evil: CV - Action packed

Katamari Damacy - The other poster is right. Everyone I have show this to demands to see it again almost immediately

Shin Megami Tensei (the first, on SNES). Nothing I've seen is as creepy or gives me goosebumps like that intro. SMT3's is slick, and the way the huge horde of demons appears onscreen is awesome, but it's not quite as effective for me.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Shenmue's intro was effective for setting the tone for the game with characterizations and cinematography. The contrast between Lan Di's and the Hazuki fighting styles, Lan Di's calculating stare, and the sense of a family bond between the Hazuki residents hinted at a fully developed world behind the drama and gave a glimpse into the scope of detail the game held. Also, the music served as a moody narration of the scene as it unfolded, rising from ominous in the beginning to chilling by the climax.

Top Bottom