• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Your Ideal Sequel Naming Scheme?

What's Your Ideal Sequel Naming Scheme?

• Game 2

Votes: 41 38.7%
  • Game: Subtitle

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • Game 2: Subtitle

Votes: 50 47.2%
  • Subtitle: Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Subtitle: Game 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Švejk

Banned
I think it depends on the seriousness, tone and story continuation. But overall, I'd probably go with Game 2: Subtitled.

Don't forget "Game (year of release)"

I prefer numbers.

Imagine if ps2 was just called playstation electric boogaloo
breakin 2 electric boogaloo break dancing GIF

Robb

Gold Member
Depends on how long going the series is. What CoD are we even on now? 21? I’m not sure if numbers is my preference at that point.

I guess I might prefer to just have “Title: Subtitle” in general. But I’m not against numbers up to the point that they feel ridiculous to include.

Last edited:

RCU005

Depends on how long going the series is. What CoD are we even on now? 21? I’m not sure if numbers is my preference at that point.

I guess I might prefer to just have “Title: Subtitle” in general. But I’m not against numbers up to the point that they feel ridiculous to include.

When wil Final Fantasy stop? Will there be FF XXIX?

With CoD doesn't apply because each game is in a different setting or some other plot, but they have used numbers for Modern Warfare and Black Ops.

Bojji

Numbers only i say.

For example - Baldur's Gate 3 sounds so much better than Baldur's Gate 3 : Squid Games

Yep, numbers are more powerful.

Assassin's Creed 3 and GTA4, people knew that games will be more important than previous games with just subtitle (then Ubisoft fucked up with AC4).

Robb

Gold Member

With CoD doesn't apply because each game is in a different setting or some other plot, but they have used numbers for Modern Warfare and Black Ops.
I do find FF to be pretty ridiculous, but hey, at least the Roman numerals look cooler than just the number itself.

And I’m not sure what your second point is, because the same (new setting) applies to FF, which as you mention does use a continuous numbering scheme.

I’m just saying what I prefer personally. “Super Mario Odyssey” definitely sounds better to me than “Super Mario 20” (or whatever they’re at at this point).

Last edited:

We're on Super Bowl LIX and nobody is worried about the numbering of Super Bowls

Final Fantasy will be just fine

Audiophile

Numbers for the first run, subtitles for the reboot run, roman numerals for the reboot of the reboot run, then for the live service, indefinite game that's a reboot of the reboot of the reboot just go back to the original title with nothing else, but it's in big bold capital letters. Then the remasters are all the same but with "Remastered", then the remakes are just all the same.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Square Enix be like:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2

Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep -A fragmentary passage-

Square makes everything so easy to follow! /s

Mario Kart has done it best of course by changing conventions a number of time.

It’s has the popular in the 90’s “game + platform” titling (Super, 64, DS, Wii).

It’s had “Game: Subtitle” (Super Circuit, Double Dash)

Then finally they just gave up and went to “Game Number” (7, 8)

We all assume they’ll make 9 next but who knows, they can do anything

MrRibeye

Oh! I just remembered on a previous project I worked on, we had to pick a title for the game and my argument for adding a descriptive subtitle was based on this story of how Halo became Combat Evolved.

From this article by Vice:

Marty O’Donnell (composer for Halo)
Marty_portrait-1024x576.jpg

"I remember Microsoft hired a marketing firm who had done a bunch of work and wanted to make a presentation to the top guys in Bungie. Nobody wanted to go do it, so Jaime and I said we would. So we go to this room, and the suits are at the conference table with the Microsoft people, and they had this PowerPoint that showed how well we were testing in all these demographics and all this stuff."

Jaime Griesemer (game designer for Halo)
1200px-H3_Jaime_Griesemer.png

"They hated the name. They said that it doesn’t mean anything, and to people it does mean something to, it’s not on-brand, because what we’re selling is the super soldier, not this weird space junk. In every foreign language it sounds stupid, it’s feminine—they had so many reasons why the name should be changed. They went for months and months, and they came back with a bunch of names. It was another border dispute.
At some point they said, “Okay, we’re going to do a subtitle.” And this was before subtitles were the thing every game had. We thought that was dumb, but whatever, we could ignore it. Eventually they came back with Combat Evolved, and we thought that was the stupidest thing ever. It doesn’t mean anything, it’s not really informational, and it’s not even good grammar."

My opinion is that the marketing firm that Microsoft hired was smart to suggest adding Combat Evolved to the title, because back in 2001 this conveyed to me that this is a sci-fi shooter with combat I haven't seen before.
c2cfc8b1-34fb-4042-bd2a-b8b3d33a498f.7cbaf80cdafbbb8a8c566fa0fed981ee.jpeg

Last edited:

Hypereides

Gold Member
Mainline instalments/entries:
Game numeric

Prequels and spin-off:
Game: origins/Zero/0/Beginning
Game: subtitle to spin-off

Or if devs wanna be a bit more creative:
Gam3/G4me/6ame/Gamϵ/Ga|\/|e/Game: [wordplay]

Last edited:
While I do prefer the simplicity of numbers, words do give a bit of flair so long as it's not stretched out too much. 'Video Game Name 3: the quest fantasy awakening vision deluxe director's cut' makes me want to slap someone with a game case.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Game 2.

Subtitles are good-sounding and everything, but I absolutely hate how so many people use them unnecessarily.
It rustles my jimmies every time to see people write “Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins” like there’s another Super Mario Land 2 around.
One interesting case is Megaman, which always had subtitles in Japanese going back all the way to MM2, but they were always removed in the west.

Gojiira

Numbers then Subtitle always.
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty…
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater…
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot..
Just an example but Sons of Liberty sounds so much better than just MGS2.

Mownoc

Number the first 3 then just go subtitles or it can't start to look a bit silly. Imagine if need for speed was still numbered.

Need for Speed 22: Unbounded

JRPGs get away with it.

My favorite highly sensical, logical, and easy to understand naming scheme

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series
It's hilarious that this is all due to being behind a generation. If Xbox had been around in 1996, I'm sure they would just be Xbox 2, 3, 4, etc, keeping in line with PlayStation.

Microsoft has the worst naming scheme in the history of video games, and yet Wii U was "confusing".

I still find this funny:

hduafwi46o3z.png

cireza

Gold Member
My favorite highly sensical, logical, and easy to understand naming scheme

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series
Next one should be called Xbox Zero. Would carry on the perfectly logical scheme seen here. And would also be the same as the number of sales.

Top Bottom