• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats your most disappointing sequel?

Dark Souls 2...going from Bloodborne >3> 1 > 2....2 just felt absolutely terrible. Idk who. decided to take a step back in every aspect that made one unique.

cortadew

I think SOFTS is a great version. I hold that those DLCs are some of the best DLCs From ever put out. Esp the fire area.

I think SOFTS is a great version. I hold that those DLCs are some of the best DLCs From ever put out. Esp the fire area.
I bought it and couldn't get into it, gameplay elements feel cheap and badly made in comparison with DS1 but I will give it another try, my opinion is actually in the minority because most of the fanbase like the game.

SSfox

DMC2 was one, even tho i find the game to be really good at first because it was my first DMC, but after playing DMC1 and 3 it's safe to say that DMC2 was too below and inferior compare to the other DMC games.

Robbinhood

Banned
Halo infinite is pretty damn horrible in every way. Who asked for that open world slog. Although Halo 5s SP might be worse so I guess they thought there is nothing to lose.

Diablo 3 was also incredibly disappointing. I could tell right from the first few seconds its not as good as 2, reminds me of DMC2 where you can tell it felt cheap compared to the predecessor within seconds.

bender

What time is it?
MGS2. I bought a PS2 in anticipation of a MGS sequel. I bought Zone of Enders for the brilliant MGS2 demo. And then came the full release. This isn't a knock on Raiden who I don't mind and keeping that switharoo under wraps is something that will never be replicated. The narrative is brilliant and shockingly prescient. The problem is Big Shell is fucking boring especially compared to the Tanker level which was an interesting and fun little sandbox. And the cherry on top of the monotonous level design in Big Shell is the majority of the boss encounters are lame, highlighted by a bomb planting fat man on roller blades and the brilliant idea of trying to one up the Rex fight in the original by having you fight an endless wave of Metal Gears. I appreciate the game now a lot more in retrospect mostly because of the narrative, but everything past the Tanker level is such a chore to play.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Horizon forbidden west, it didn't improve a number of issues the first one had.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Final Fantasy VII - the game I initially bought a Playstation for and absolutely hated it. I loved 4 and 6 dearly so it caught me totally by surprise.

No More Heroes 2 - loved the first, second was scheduled to release on my birthday, and all the previews made it sound like everything was being improved. Of course, what really happened was they just ripped the stuff out that needed work and replaced it with nothing. Game was buggy and every element of the game was worse than it was in the first. Just a steaming pile of shit through and through and made me much more weary of games with Suda's name on it without him directing.

Silent Hill 4 - After 3 amazing entries I had so much faith in Konami that I went in totally blind for 4. The basic premise was enough for me and SH3 had actually been kind of spoilery in its marketing.

This was the last time I'd pre-order a game without doing research. It was an absolute clusterfuck of bad ideas and technical problems. It was an absolutely insulting experience from start to finish.

Xenosaga II - The absolute blueprint for tanking a franchise. It honestly feels like it was done on purpose with how it systematically screwed everything up as badly as possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
but you buy it as a stand alone game
Yep, just like Lost Legacy, and nobody was trolling it with hUrR dUrR dLc talk when it had gotten larger than the 2-3 hour DLC adventure they planned and decided to make it a full game.

Both take around the same time to beat, and both were normal for games prior to making them bigger and longer. Which started with all the people complaining about game lengths and cost per hour. Those were some annoying times.

Personally, I really enjoyed Lost Legacy's length after all the long 15-20+ hour games. They are still full blown games, and the prices were reflective of not being the 15-20+ hour games.

Last edited:
Last of Us 2, has the dumbest plot devices while expecting you to take it serious.
Horizon Forbidden West for the same reason , the script was horrible, leftover interest from the first game kept me going. almost turned into a Ubisoft bloat game.
Mass Effect Andromeda also had a lame narrative.
Killzone Shadow Fall. the tight FPS action is gone and we are left wit an expensive graphics demo.
Dragon Age 2, glorified mod.
Killzone Shadowfall was so cool but very disappointing. I need a franchise reboot with Sev and Rico or new characters in the Decima Engine or Unreal Engine 5. I can't even imagine how unbelievable that would look. Killzone 2 still looks and plays better than many current FPS if you can get over the below 30fps frame dips on PS3. You can play it in 60fps with PC emulation but there are a lot of texture glitches in cutscenes.

GHG

Gold Member
Some of these reply are just... Peoples ages are showing, not in a good way.

The only correct answer is devil may cry 2.

Roxkis_ii

Nier: replicant while technically a prequel, it was my most disappointing purchase of last year.

Only so-so combat,
Hideous environments
Absolute coma inducing story (atleast how far I got)

Boring characters outside of one

Got to the forest of myths for a second time and just did not have the patience in me to do it for a second time. And I got all the main endings for Neir Automata!

92% of people on Google loved the game and I can't see how.

TxKnight7

Gow Ragnarok

RNdAuaX.gif

GHG

Gold Member
Nier: replicant while technically a prequel, it was my most disappointing purchase of last year.

Only so-so combat,
Hideous environments
Absolute coma inducing story (atleast how far I got)

Boring characters outside of one

Got to the forest of myths for a second time and just did not have the patience in me to do it for a second time. And I got all the main endings for Neir Automata!

92% of people on Google loved the game and I can't see how.

It's a remake of a game that came out before Automata.

D-ray

I had a mental crisis while trying to remember one. Usually the sequels of the franchises I played are miles away compared to their predecessors. Being way more polished, way more interesting or in general: BETTER.
And if the first game didn't get me, I would rarely bother playing the next ones.

However, Doom 3 is what probably stands out the most from my collection. Doom and Doom 2 were good, even in the time I played 'em.
Doom 3 just felt sluggish, and boring, totally different from the two. It had some good things like more bosses, cut scenes and stuff, but the whole "horror like" environment didn't work well with the shooter that the previous games were.
Also on PC was full of glitches and incompatibility errors, therefore rendering the game unbeatable (at least on the PC I had back then, maybe now it would work).

I would say I didn't like Doom 2016 either, but I can't label it as "bad sequel". It was just overrated.
For a mainstream console player was a bomb compared to the mediocre FPS released in the past years, but for me, who played tons of different shooter titles, it was just Doom 2 re-made and made super ignorant, without adding nothing specifically interesting (except Glory Kills, those were cool).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'd choose WD2 over part 1 any given time. 3 though..... I Agree. What a lifeless PoS that was........
So you are a hipster?

I completed watch dogs and went straight to watch dogs 2.

Couldnt stand that edgy hipster shit out and forced myself to give the game a chance. Uninstalled the trash and was thankful over gamepass saved me from paying Ubisoft for that garbage.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Mario Kart 64. Super Mario Kart was a fantastic racer with tight track design, plenty of obstacles and surprises, excellent items. MK64 has empty tracks you could drive trucks through, it introduces the dreaded blue shell that ruined the gameplay for the rest of the series, and most of all, it’s a terribly boring game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Breath of the Wild because it decimated the puzzles and dungeons in favour of open world emptiness and succeeded with this, so probably killing classical Zelda in the process. Sonic 2006, as a huge Sonic fan, was of course an even worse experience, but the developers saw the issues and came back much stronger. Finally, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts was very disapointing for switching the genre and killing the IP in the process.

I'd say Halo Wars 2 . I hold the original in very high regard. I just could not get into the 2nd one at all. I know it's reviews are decent.

Can anybody give it some love here ? I feel like I need to play a bit more before I drop it.

Rac3r

MGSV, no doubt.

An overwhelmingly mediocre and aggressively unrewarding game filled with half-finished storylines and gameplay mechanics, insanely bad copy-paste mission structures, terrible voice acting, shit AI, poorly executed Mother Base system and worst of all: woefully misleading trailers filled with story and gameplay elements that never made it into the final game.

The game literally shipped without a third act. It's still fucking insane that this is a thing that actually happened. This game is an affront to every MGS fan in the world.

It was definitely a let down. I actually thought the stealth mechanics were amazing but were wasted on repetitive mission structure and a bland environment. The opening sequence in the hospital is one of the best intros I've ever played. I wish we got more of that instead of shitty desert outposts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doom II - Seemed like the same game as Doom

Golden Axe II on Genesis - Trash game. Amazing that at the time GA was a cool new arcade game, had a good home port and every game after it seemed shit

Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Worst AC combat game ever

NHL 15 - Basically the same as the 360 era games but had a new terrible and sloppy UI

Foilz

Banned
1. FABLE 3!!!
2. Super Mario bros 2
3. Zelda 2
4. Any twisted metal after the first one except the psp version.

Chronicle

GTA IV. coming off San Andreas you make this? Boring characters. boring gameplay. a huge downgrade in so many ways. the only evidence of GTA charm left in the game is the in-game internet and the talk radio stations. everything else is a worse version of the MAFIA games
The first thought I had of this game when I turned it on was how shit it looked on my ps3. Unacceptable.

Player Respawn

Neo Member
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island followed by Red Dead Redemption 2.

Also Mass Effect 2, Jesus fuck what a disappointment that game was to me.
this to me is the craziest one so far lol

mine would have to be fallout 4 followed by the sims 4 (these ones were huge disappointments since I loved the previous games so much)

Top Bottom