• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where to start with Gundam

The_hunter

I played Armored core 6, I really enjoyed it. I liked the military story and the corporate/mercenary stuff.

I've never seen Gundam. What is a good one to watch? Are there any similar in style to AC6? I'd be open to non-Gundam suggestions too.

For Gundam:
08th MS Team
0080 War In the Pocket
0083 Stardust Memory

All these three series are OVAs instead of 50 episode long series. They are all set in the main timeline, Universal Century, and their stories are pretty stand alone that you don't need knowledge of the lore. If you enjoy it, then you can go with production order starting from 0079 (tv series or movie comilations), Zeta Gundam (tv series. Avoid the movies), Char's Counterattack, to Gundam UC (OVAs. Avoid the tv series UC0096). Another choice would be Iron Blooded Orphans as it also has a mercenary theme. It's in its own timeline.

For non gundam recommendations
Votoms
Macross
Full Metal Panic
Patlabor

willothedog

I have not gotten around to playing AC6, it's on my backlog.

00 is a cracking series.

Mobile_Suit_Gundam_00.png

If you just want a quick intro, try 00 or SEED. Lots of Gundam shows are what's known as AUs or "Alternate Universes" since the original series were all part of something called the Universal Century.

Some responses above are fine if you just want a taste to see if you like Universal Century. The WHOLE UC experience is pretty much...well, see for yourself:

• Mobile Suit Gundam (the original 1979 anime, or alternatively the 3 compilation movies)
  • 08th MS Team
  • 0080 War in the Pocket
  • 0083 Stardust Memory
  • Zeta
  • ZZ
  • Char's Counterattack (movie)
  • Unicorn
  • Narrative (movie)
  • Hathaway (movie, though only 1 of the 3 planned movies are out)
  • F91 (movie)
  • Victory

That's alot of time to sink in, so try what some of the above people suggested (08th or 0080, 0083 at least needs you to know about the war in the original series), or give the 3 original compilation movies a go.

Last edited:
08th ms team is probably the best bite sized little introduction to gundam.
MS IGLOO is kinda similar to it, since it has a lot of "grounded" action with even tanks and stuff taking out mobile suits.
I generally don't recommend 0080 because it's just kinda depressing and Gundam and Zeta are far superior.
0083 is also kind of standalone
For Zeta there are movies, but they kinda change the ending to be less depressing, and retcons ZZ from happening, I don't really like ZZ, but if you want to watch ZZ it's probably best to watch the Zeta movies after it.
Char's counter attack is cool.
I don't recommend victory to anyone because it's maximum depressing.

The real answer is Gundam Build Fighters though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
if you’re patient with classics and want to understand Gundam better, I would say watch the MS Gundam 1-3 compilation films first. They’re a bit condensed but have improved animation and are considered to be more of a director’s cut of the original series. Then you’ll understand Amuro and Char, the granddaddy Gundam, the Zaku, White Base, Lahla, Newtypes, The One Year War, all of it.

After that, watch the OVAs. 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory (personal favorite), and 08th MS Team. They all have great animation and take place after the events of the original series.

Then, well, if you’re into fully into it, watch Zeta Gundam. It’s a bit crazy, but it continues the story after the events of the original series and the aforementioned side stories.

Then watch ZZ Gundam. Be forewarned, for around 20 episodes it’s a lighthearted slapstick show but it grows into a serious show again as the characters mature, then hits its stride. It is a direct follow up to Zeta.

Then you’re ready for Char’s Counterattack, a legendary and highly influential grand finale to the UC Gundam storyline. But there’s plenty more to explore after that, both in the UC timeline and otherwise.

Have fun.

IAmRei

MS 08th team, ms igloo, if you like real robot/realistic approach. You might want to find gundam sentinel translated pdf if you feel like reading, though.

All above are realistic approach side for gundam.

Easier one is ms 08th team.
The series is known as realistic combat, which is kind of siimilar vibe with vietnam war but with mecha, and situationed in Indonesia. They are quite detailed. The characters are not superheroes, almost gruntlike weakness, and struggled realistically in the series. No psycho weapons, just bunch of stubborn grunts story. Quite tactical and detailed at the time.

As for sentinel, its also bunch of idiot pilots in space, a paper tiger with awesome mecha. But somehow involved in smaller scale hidden battle. The story also told how people lives in battleship. Such as inconveniences of battle ship: there is no glamor features in their ship, even AC are shared and if ever once people fart, it will cycle through the ship all day : )). The combat also detailed, i never know if there is explanation in other gundam, as complex as this. Gundam control is almost like video games, with buttons are programmed as bundle action in categorized control types.

If you like reall robot, obsolete mecha series in youtube by bandai is also good call

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Gundam is basically Japan’s Star Wars (and was inspired by Star Wars along with Space Battleship Yamato, Heinlein/Clarke/Asimov, etc.). That is, if Star Wars had largely high quality output from the ‘70s through to today and hadn’t been destroyed by Kathleen Kennedy and co. After seeing that happen to SW before my eyes, I appreciate Gundam all the more. It’s always reinventing itself with new AU stories while respecting and maintaining the UC timeline.

if you’re patient with classics and want to understand Gundam better, I would say watch the MS Gundam 1-3 compilation films first. They’re a bit condensed but have improved animation and are considered to be more of a director’s cut of the original series. Then you’ll understand Amuro and Char, the granddaddy Gundam, the Zaku, White Base, Lahla, Newtypes, The One Year War, all of it.

After that, watch the OVAs. 0080 War in the Pocket, 0083 Stardust Memory (personal favorite), and 08th MS Team. They all have great animation and take place after the events of the original series.

Then, well, if you’re into fully into it, watch Zeta Gundam. It’s a bit crazy, but it continues the story after the events of the original series and the aforementioned side stories.

Then watch ZZ Gundam. Be forewarned, for around 20 episodes it’s a lighthearted slapstick show but it grows into a serious show again as the characters mature, then hits its stride. It is a direct follow up to Zeta.

Then you’re ready for Char’s Counterattack, a legendary and highly influential grand finale to the UC Gundam storyline. But there’s plenty more to explore after that, both in the UC timeline and otherwise.

Have fun.

OP, I can't second this recommendation enough. I know there are plenty of AU fans and others who think of more "accessible" ways to introduce themselves to Gundam - Gundam Wing was my intro via Toonami, and I can tell you the MS Gundam movie trilogy is the correct way every single time.

One note on The 08th MS Team, the reason it's so good as a Gundam series is because it's so unlike the other Gundam series. Watching that one first would be a waste, you want to watch it after you've experienced classic, stereotypical Gundam so you can be told a more personal, smaller story in its universe.

Edit: Going with a Star Wars analogy:
Mobile Suit Gundam = Original Trilogy
Gundam Wing = Disney Trilogy
The 08th MS Team = Rogue One
G Gundam = Dragon Ball Z

Last edited:
G Gundam = Dragon Ball Z

Absolutely accurate. G Gundam is a fun ass time, but it's very different from your typical Gundam show.

Also don't know how you feel about dubs OP, but the dub for G just makes it even hammier, which is a plus.

Spoiler for people who haven't seen G, but if you have watched it subbed and never heard the dub, here:

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
MS IGLOO is kinda similar to it, since it has a lot of "grounded" action with even tanks and stuff taking out mobile suits.
Do not start with Igloo.

1 - It requires a lot of knowledge about the politics of the main timeline.
2 - Its not very good

Last edited:

Porcile

The original anime TV series is the only place start. Seriously if you don't have the patience for that then don't even bother with Zeta or ZZ because those are slogs (but in a good kind of way.) After that, then it's Char's Counterattack. And then after that you can watch whatever you want. F-91 is totally rushed and unfinished. Victory is extremely frustrating. Turn A is like Ghibli Gundam (the Earth part anyway).

GreenAlien

I would start with Gundam Seed (and I did). It's not as dated as the original series and better than Gundam 00.

There is a "HD Remaster" version with subtitles on youtube..

Doom85

I would start with Gundam Seed (and I did). It's not as dated as the original series and better than Gundam 00.

Eh, I much prefer 00, but Seed is good too. Don’t know if I would say it’s less dated than the original, especially if for the original you go with the movie trilogy over the TV series (I mean, the creator has said he considers the films to be the canon version, so watching the films makes more sense to me) as Seed has a LOT of reused animation and still shots. Probably didn’t help it aired during the early 2000’s when anime was switching to digital and had some growing pains for two or so years during the transition, making anime of that era often look unremarkable in animation even if the show itself was good (such as Azumanga Daioh, the first Fruits Basket anime, the first season of Full Metal Panic, etc. Again, not bad shows per se, just the animation could have been much better). Fullmetal Alchemist ‘03 was one of the first major shows that seemed to finally look great for the time after the medium had moved to digital animation.

Also, I would advise OP to not watch the follow up series Seed Destiny, unless you’re looking for the first Seed’s protagonist Kira to eventually became an untouchable god who kills any suspense when he enters a fight as his mech becomes way overpowered, while also adding a new main character, Shinn, who is an annoying little shit to put it mildly. Also it retcons one of the most awesome moments in the original Seed.

The_hunter

Looks like the general consensus is either the original tv/movie or 08th MS team. If I want to go AU 00 is the way to go.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Last edited:
just a suggestion for OP, even though I don't know if it's accessible for most people. if you want the definitive version of the original Gundam series, then please consider reading the manga, Gundam: The Origin.

it tells the whole story that was in the original 1979 anime and elevated it by filling in a lot of the missing details. it's beautifully illustrated by the legendary Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and it is hands down the best version of the 0079 One Year War and the intertwining fate of Amour and Char. it also spawned an animated OVA (later recompiled into a 13 episodes series) that focuses on Char's story. sadly, I don't think the English version of 24 volumes manga is available digitally online (legally, anyway). I do believe there's also a collector's edition that consist of 12 large volumes instead of the regular 24. and those you should be able to find on Amazon.

I only ever watched the original. Never knew there was so much gundam.

oh yeah. over the last 45 years it turned into this huge MCU-ish thing with the UC side of things offering a more realistic and sombering look into war while all the other different series like G, Wing and 00 doing their own things.

personally I'm more of a fan of the UC stuff, but a lot of the others like G and 00 are also great to watch.

Also, I would advise OP to not watch the follow up series Seed Destiny, unless you’re looking for the first Seed’s protagonist Kira to eventually became an untouchable god who kills any suspense when he enters a fight as his mech becomes way overpowered, while also adding a new main character, Shinn, who is an annoying little shit to put it mildly. Also it retcons one of the most awesome moments in the original Seed.
I don't really agree with this, the first half of destiny is some of my favourite gundam ever, shinn going seed mode in episode 12 gets me every time; impulse is the goat and impulse's theme is even better.

It's only when Kira starts getting more screen time that the show becomes bad, and instead of straight up killing kira, and maybe putting shinn in a hospital for a dozen episodes, they turn it into the kira show and the show turns to complete shit, with all the old heads from seed winning flawlessly and everyone from destiny losing everything. All because of some voice actor drama or something.

I did enjoy the freedom movie, if only for shinn finally getting to show what destiny is capable of, with impulse's theme and then meteor playing in the background.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ZZ is underappreciated. Yes, its not as good as Z. And yes there are things it should do that it doesnt. But Ill be damned if it isnt fun. And there are some great mech and character designs
It does some things better than Zeta too, like connect you to the consequences for civilians during all the hyper-destructive battles. Zeta would often just show a wide shot of a city blowing up and move on. Takes the cyber newtype angle in interesting directions too.

The first 20 eps were a trial to get through at times, but overall very enjoyable. Should definitely not be skipped over.

just a suggestion for OP, even though I don't know if it's accessible for most people. if you want the definitive version of the original Gundam series, then please consider reading the manga, Gundam: The Origin.

it tells the whole story that was in the original 1979 anime and elevated it by filling in a lot of the missing details. it's beautifully illustrated by the legendary Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and it is hands down the best version of the 0079 One Year War and the intertwining fate of Amour and Char. it also spawned an animated OVA (later recompiled into a 13 episodes series) that focuses on Char's story. sadly, I don't think the English version of 24 volumes manga is available digitally online (legally, anyway). I do believe there's also a collector's edition that consist of 12 large volumes instead of the regular 24. and those you should be able to find on Amazon.

I don't know why this completely skipped my mind. I just defaulted to animated works. I agree that it's probably my favorite rendition of the One Year War. The hardcover editions are beautiful. I suggest checking a local library before committing to buying since they can be pricy.

Sakura

I know people have already answered, but I figured I would weigh in too.

Start with the original of course. I think watching the tv version in its entirety is best, but it is super dated, so if it is too hard to get through, then the compilation films are fine too.
Then watch Zeta Gundam, which would probably be one of my top 3. Don't watch the compilation movies for this, you should watch the full thing. I'm not sure where the best place to watch Zeta is though. I went to watch a few episodes on Crunchyroll recently and the openings and endings have been replaced with generic instrumental music, which is apparently a thing with the western version of the series.
After that is Gundam ZZ. Whilst I ultimately enjoyed it, I don't think I would ever want to rewatch it.
Then finally you should watch the movie Char's Counterattack.

There are a number of OVAs and movies also set in the same timeline as the original series (Universal Century timeline). However, none of them are particularly important to the narrative from the original trilogy, they are all rather self contained stories. If you enjoy the universe though, they are worth a watch. Personally out of these I would recommend War in the Pocket and Unicorn.

Then there are all the TV series set in their own universes that aired afterwards. Many can be very different in tone/plot, with some not feeling like a Gundam series at all. You can kind of pick and choose what to watch here. Personally I would recommend Victory Gundam (technically UC), Turn A Gundam, Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny.
The TV series after Seed/Destiny have been very hit and miss, though even the hits haven't been particularly that great (imo).

There is also the Build Fighters series. Build Fighters and Build Fighters Try are pretty good. They are series about building Gunpla and fighting with them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m still surprised we haven't got single anime adaptation of Armored Core series.

Last edited:

Porcile

If you really wanted to go in deep you could also read the first novels written by Tomino. They act as an alternate retelling of the story with a fuckton of interesting changes. The old versions with non-standardised names are available in English on archive.org. I read it in Japanese while referencing the English version when things got confusing and the translation is pretty good. Except the translator does cut a few sentences here and there for some reason.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
If you really wanted to go in deep you could also read the first novels written by Tomino. They act as an alternate retelling of the story with a fuckton of interesting changes. The old versions with non-standardised names are available in English on archive.org. I read it in Japanese while referencing the English version when things got confusing and the translation is pretty good. Except the translator does cut a few sentences here and there for some reason.
I would not recommend starting with the Tomino novel. It doesnt give a good image of what the franchise is.

I do appreciate aspects of it though. In some ways it feela like a critique of some of the tropes of the original franchise. And Im a big fan of a lot of the conversations regarding what Newtypes are.

lachesis

If it's not an U.C, main line Gundam series - just pick one series. Most of them are okay. Like many western fans - Wing is a good place to start too. (I wasn't too fond of it as I don't generally like 90's style)

But if you start with U.C. - you'll get different, if not deeper understanding of the whole genre as many of the new ones pay homage to the original.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Alright, I'm going to give you a brief impression of each Gundam movie / show that I've seen:

0079: If you can get past the dated animation, you'll find one of the greatest coming of age stories ever told. Fantastic cast, wonderful setting. Cool mech designs and music. TV or Movies, you can't go wrong. My recommendation would be to get to Episode 29 of the series and then switch to Encounters in Space, as the third movie adds quite a bit.

Zeta: Weird first 5 episodes, but it settles into one of the best shows in the franchise. Very stylish and cool. Iconic

ZZ: I don't mind the slapstick first half, but it is a weird turn. Second half is better.

Char's Counterattack: One of the greatest movies ever made.

0080: A must watch. It's a christmas tradition for me.

F91: It's a mess, but I enjoy it. First 30 minutes are perfect, then it falls apart sort of. Looks great though

0083: It's gorgeous, but kinda drags in the middle. There is a very dumb plot twist towards the end, but it's pretty good over all. GP02 is a beast.

Victory: Controversial. I enjoy Uso and his suffering a lot though. He's one of the best pilots in the franchise.

G Gundam: The dumbest fucking show in the franchise and I love it for it. It doesn't take itself seriously, and it's a blast for it.

Wing: Eh. It's popular in the West for being the first Gundam to break big here. I don't think it's very good though. A lot of rehashing ideas much better handled in UC. And the unique stuff isn't great. Fujoshi bait.

X: Kind of boring, and I don't love the character designs. Wonderful OP though. It's sort of mid

Turn A: Underrated masterpiece. Some say the first 10 episodes are slow, but I love it. Very confident series.

08th MS Team: I'm not a fan, though most love it. The Romeo and Juliet plot ruined it for me. Some cool grunt battles though.

Seed: Rehash done worse. Bad character designs. Stupid plot stupid characters

Seed Destiny: First 10 episodes are better then Seed, but then it nose dives into utter bullshit. It becomes even stupider than Seed. Trash

Igloo: Trash

Igloo: Utter Trash

00: An interesting post - 9/11 take on Gundam. Goes weird places, but is sort of like a better version of G-Wing

Unicorn: Brilliant until the very end, then it sort of flounders due to its reveal, which was kinda dumb. Still top notch celebration of UC.

Gundam Age: More boring than anything. Multi-generational gimmick is kinda cool, but doesn't take advantage of it. Is basically a promo for a game that wasn't released in English.

G-reco: i wanted to like this really bad. But ts sort of confusing. I still cant tell you what the plot is.

The Origin: Fantastic prequel to the original series. Makes me want a remake of 0079 so bad. Some of the elements added are silly though.

Ironblooded Orphans: Very cool ending. Kinda of boring otherwise

Island of Cucuruz Doan Island: A weird movie. It is a remake of a throw away episode of the original, not sure why they made it. It looks nice but isn't necessary at all.

Hathaway: Probably the most mature of the franchise. It's sort of slow paced and focuses on a love triangle, but it's handled tastefully. Plus there is a cool battle sequence in the back half.

Build Fighters: Fantastic show
Build Fighters TRY: Bad show.

The Witch from Mercury: I did not like this at all. Its popular with new people though, so maybe its just me. But it felt week to me

Last edited:
Alright, I'm going to give you a brief impression of each Gundam movie / show that I've seen:

0079: If you can get past the dated animation, you'll find one of the greatest coming of age stories ever told. Fantastic cast, wonderful setting. Cool mech designs and music. TV or Movies, you can't go wrong. My recommendation would be to get to Episode 29 of the series and then switch to Encounters in Space, as the third movie adds quite a bit.

Zeta: Weird first 5 episodes, but it settles into one of the best shows in the franchise. Very stylish and cool. Iconic

ZZ: I don't mind the slapstick first half, but it is a weird turn. Second half is better.

Char's Counterattack: One of the greatest movies ever made.

0080: A must watch. It's a christmas tradition for me.

F91: It's a mess, but I enjoy it. First 30 minutes are perfect, then it falls apart sort of. Looks great though

0083: It's gorgeous, but kinda drags in the middle. There is a very dumb plot twist towards the end, but it's pretty good over all. GP02 is a beast.

Victory: Controversial. I enjoy Uso and his suffering a lot though. He's one of the best pilots in the franchise.

G Gundam: The dumbest fucking show in the franchise and I love it for it. It doesn't take itself seriously, and it's a blast for it.

Wing: Eh. It's popular in the West for being the first Gundam to break big here. I don't think it's very good though. A lot of rehashing ideas much better handled in UC. And the unique stuff isn't great. Fujoshi bait.

X: Kind of boring, and I don't love the character designs. Wonderful OP though. It's sort of mid

Turn A: Underrated masterpiece. Some say the first 10 episodes are slow, but I love it. Very confident series.

08th MS Team: I'm not a fan, though most love it. The Romeo and Juliet plot ruined it for me. Some cool grunt battles though.

Seed: Rehash done worse. Bad character designs. Stupid plot stupid characters

Seed Destiny: First 10 episodes are better then Seed, but then it nose dives into utter bullshit. It becomes even stupider than Seed. Trash

Igloo: Trash

Igloo: Utter Trash

00: An interesting post - 9/11 take on Gundam. Goes weird places, but is sort of like a better version of G-Wing

Unicorn: Brilliant until the very end, then it sort of flounders due to its reveal, which was kinda dumb. Still top notch celebration of UC.

Gundam Age: More boring than anything. Multi-generational gimmick is kinda cool, but doesn't take advantage of it. Is basically a promo for a game that wasn't released in English.

G-reco: i wanted to like this really bad. But ts sort of confusing. I still cant tell you what the plot is.

The Origin: Fantastic prequel to the original series. Makes me want a remake of 0079 so bad. Some of the elements added are silly though.

Ironblooded Orphans: Very cool ending. Kinda of boring otherwise

Island of Cucuruz Doan Island: A weird movie. It is a remake of a throw away episode of the original, not sure why they made it. It looks nice but isn't necessary at all.

Hathaway: Probably the most mature of the franchise. It's sort of slow paced and focuses on a love triangle, but it's handled tastefully. Plus there is a cool battle sequence in the back half.

Build Fighters: Fantastic show
Build Fighters TRY: Bad show.

The Witch from Mercury: I did not like this at all. Its popular with new people though, so maybe its just me. But it felt week to me

overall agree with this outside of a few exemptions.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, which ones? I know my opinions are sort of divergent from the majority on stuff like Wing, 08th and IBO.

mostly the 2 Igloo series. I agree they're not good, but I like them for introducing some very interesting variants of the MSs. and I feel 08 MS Team is good even taking into consideration of the whole relationship thing. had not watch Witch Of Mercury yet but the overall design I do like.

tkscz

Literally one of the worst series Gundam series.

About as much subtlety as a sledgehammer.
At the same time, if you want to get someone who has NEVER experienced Gundam into it, Wing is the one you start with.

It's not subtle, it's not as deep as the others, it doesn't go as into the war or it's history as others do, but that is what makes it so easy for someone whose never seen Gundam before to get into it. It's a nice jumping-off point.

Top Bottom