• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which fansub group does the best translation for Naruto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ANBU was the one that did the actual translation when ANBU-AonE was subbing Naruto, so if you want consistency go with them.

calder

Naruto does have some nuance, especially when they're hinting at motivations and overall plans of the arch-villians. I just wish I hadn't switched sub groups so much that I got confused about what a "blood inheritence limit" or whatever was compared to an "advanced bloodline".

Now that I'm behind a half dozen eps I just stick with ANBU. I don't know that it's the best, but it seems pretty decent. At least I don't get as confused as I did with the 0 hour subs from a few months back... combine some of those mistranstations with half-remembered manga translations and I'd say Naruto is at least complicated enough to befuddle me if the translations aren't tight. ;)

Ryu

Anbu is the best for unlicensed anime. Anbu and AonE used to do Naruto together, but since AonE subs some licensed anime, they split from them. Anbu did all of the primary translations for the series anyways and now it will be released by them with much more consistancy. Loss to the viewers -- none.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Why isn't this in the Naruto thread? We've covered this rather extensively of late.

Anyway, Toriyama World is the best, but since they're only to episode 52 (release about once every 5 months), they don't really count.

Anime Heaven is much better than I thought they were going to be, and if you want to watch the show within 24 hours of its original broadcast, they do a damn fine job. A couple translation errors per episode, but 98% of the time, they're pretty accurate.

Anbu and AonE are a wash. It seems like Anbu has the better video quality, but I kind of prefer AonE's translations. Also, AonE is using the same fonts and karaoke that they did when they worked with Anbu, so there's consistency there too.

So basically, you really can't go wrong with any of the "Big 3." They all have merits to them, though as a general rule, Anbu and AonE will be your best choices for quality on a week to week basis (AH may be quite good for speedsubbers, but they are more prone to errors nonetheless).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
DrForester said:
Nah, that's this show:
Luffy_Avatar.gif

:(

I made myself sad.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ryu said:
Anbu is the best for unlicensed anime. Anbu and AonE used to do Naruto together, but since AonE subs some licensed anime, they split from them. Anbu did all of the primary translations for the series anyways and now it will be released by them with much more consistancy. Loss to the viewers -- none.
No, they split because ANBU's contacts in AonE kept changing and communication gradually broke down.

MetatronM said:
Why isn't this in the Naruto thread? We've covered this rather extensively of late.

Because I try to avoid that thread like the plague, since I'm probably the most spoiler-phobic person in the world (it irritates my friends & they make fun of me because of it)... And the official thread is often filled with spoilerific content and manga discussions. I'm watching Naruto at relaxed pace (small marathons every once in a while), so I'm pretty much always late by several episodes and don't want to know anything about them.

I'm considering starting to read the manga, or at least check it out to see if I dig it.

I'm currently re-reading the Berserk manga with the official USA release.

Chrono

Banned
adelgary said:
Because I try to avoid that thread like the plague, since I'm probably the most spoiler-phobic person in the world (it irritates my friends & they make fun of me because of it)... And the official thread is often filled with spoilerific content and manga discussions. I'm watching Naruto at relaxed pace (small marathons every once in a while), so I'm pretty much always late by several episodes and don't want to know anything about them.

hehe... Here's a picture comparison for the naruto fansubs-- spoilers if you have not watched 95-96. LINK

Or... it could be that I'm tricking you and that link leads to a manga picture that contains the spoiler that owns all spoilers!!! MUAHAHAH!!!!

Tenguman

Naruto is one of those animes that actually stick to the manga like glue. As a result, even the speedy translations are fairly good since most of it has been translated already. Typically, I get whatever version is out first for that week, and for archive purposes I use Toriyama's World or ANBU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom