• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

which Final fantasy game should i get and why ?

which Final fantasy game should i get and why ?

• Final fantasy 12 zodiac age

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Final fantasy 15

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Final fantasy 16

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • Final fantasy 7 remake ( rebirth after )

Votes: 51 50.5%

• Total voters

samoilaaa

Im thinking of buying a Final fantasy game and i dont know where to start

I cant play older one than 12 because i cant stand the graphics and i didnt include the 13 ones because i hate the artstyle

So which game is the best out of these 4 ?

Aion002

Gold Member
They're all great in my opinion, so it isn't a matter of which one is the best.

I think that FFXV Complete Edition is the ideal one in your case.

It has some of the traditional elements of FF, the modern aspects of it and it's cheaper.

Just make sure to get the complete edition, since the dlcs have a lot of content.

Also, if you want, maybe watch the Kingsglaive movie and the anime episodes, it will help you enjoy the story more.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Really all 4 of those games are decent starting points if you think the older visuals will hold you back.

But I think 7R > 12 > 16 > 15.

The thing is each one of these games has massively differing combat, themes, game design, map design, writing and just about everything because they have different directors and dev staff.

It's arguably the series biggest strength and biggest weakness at the same time!

So one might click and another might not. Or you might love them all like me. 😎

But, if you enjoy them then it's worth checking out 4 to 10 down the line too.

If you have extra, start with FF VII Crisis Core: Reunion.

I think skip for now as it's not exactly a good introduction to the franchise with it's psp game design and certain gacha combat mechanics! 😅

Last edited:
The games you listed are pretty different from each other. Gameplay wise, FFXII:TZA plays kind of like an offline MMO (or like the Xenoblade games) with a focus on abilities, equipment and strategy rather than execution, FFXV and FFXVI are more like action games than RPGs, and FFVII Remake & Rebirth are in between, emphasizing strategy as well as execution (like blocking and parrying). Story wise: speaking generally, I would say that the FFVIIR games are more character focused, FFXII:TZA is more world/atmosphere focused and FFXVI is more concept focused (stoicism, etc.). I played FFXV at release so it's hard for me to say what the story was exactly... If you play it, you should definitely get the complete edition. Personally, my favorites are the FFVIIR games, but they are all good games.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

Lol, XIII is basically the standard art style for the modern days franchise, seen in VII, VIII, X, XIII, XV, and VII Remakes. It is when it doesn't look like this that it barely feels like FF.

Play XII or XVI then.
i dont know , for me it didnt seem that 13 has the same artstyle as 7 remake or 15

The Shepard

All the FF games you listed play nothing like each other so if you try one and not feeling it then don't be put off by trying another. I can't think of any other series that plays so different between titles.

FF7 R is the best though in my opinion. But I recommend them all. Fave series.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I think skip for now as it's not exactly a good introduction to the franchise with it's psp game design and certain gacha combat mechanics! 😅

Plot wise, in terms of VII, is what makes more sense imo.

Also in terms of gameplay it's easier and snapier to transition from Crisis Core into Remake and Rebirth, than the other way around.

PeteBull

Im thinking of buying a Final fantasy game and i dont know where to start

I cant play older one than 12 because i cant stand the graphics and i didnt include the 13 ones because i hate the artstyle

So which game is the best out of these 4 ?
Play whichever one u find interesting/hyped for, bro.
No matter the poll results u urself gonna play it so u gotta be enthusiastic about it, ppl's personal views/favourites varry and between all those 4 options all 4 are solid choice overall but subjectively some1 might not like one or the other.
I can only light that fire in u by presenting trailer, started with ff15 but obviously u can find all of them on yt.

TLDR: No wrong choice there, as long as its ur personal choice :messenger_ok:

I would say XVI if you want more action, more modern experience

I would say XII Zodiac Age if you want to feel more or less the old way of FF, near perfect apart from the story ending abruptly

XV is convoluted and a mixed bag
VII has a lot of games and lore to understand

Last edited:

Skelterz

To be honest none of those games in my opinion are considered up there with the best in the series if your looking for an action game I’d stay away from final fantasy completely, or alternatively if you want to play a FF you should play one of the earlier titles with turn based combat the games are richer in every way I’d recommend FF10 as a good starting point.

Madflavor

Gold Member
FFVII Remake and Rebirth are as close to the classical feel of Final Fantasy as you’re gonna get. Rebirth is legit one of the best JRPGs in many years.

FFXII is a good one too.

samoilaaa

😂 it’s funny because this is now what FF represents mediocre action games with light RPG elements people coming into the series fresh have no idea how far the franchise has fallen it’s truly sad.
i would really like to play the older ones but i just cant get passed the graphics , i dont doubt that they are better , i heard only good things about 10 and 8

protonion

Remake-Rebirth are incredible.

16 has some merits and is quite the spectacle, you may enjoy it.

FF9 remake will be worth it if it is ever released.

SkylineRKR

FFXII is the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be. Its one of my favourite games of all time, and out of this list easy the best choice. I liked everything about it. I hope they re-remaster it lol. PS version is still 30fps I think.

But its an acquired taste.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I'm currently in Chapter 5 I think (Plan E) mission of FFVII Remake and I'm just not very fond of the Battle system. I miss the OG turn base combat. Because of Rebirth and Part 3, I'm gonna try and stick with it to see if I'm doing something wrong or something finally clicks and I start enjoying it. I remember really loving the battle system of 12 though, especially the gambit system.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
I feel the music and battle systems can carry a game past its graphics - and pixel art ages great. That said you can mod FFVII OG to be much more modern - even more so than the HD Collection. It's probably the best starting point, and the game hooks you right the fuck in with that tight opening scripted hour of gameplay. FFX HD would be my second pick.

One of the more magical things about FF games for me is how deep they become, and how much end-game material there is. So games like VII OG, X, and Rebirth most recently, which have all sorts of extreme difficulty challenges I find very rewarding, and they all have some of the best music I'd say ever made. Every FF game has a half dozen or more tracks that are master class - some have way more and some less. Even the classics like FF3 on the SNES are loaded with awesome music. But Rebirth has hundreds of orchestral songs - so if you're in it for the music as well as the gameplay and visuals - FF doesn't disappoint.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Remake is kinda flawed but then Rebirth makes it really worth it, best SE game in a long long time.

The rest is simply not as good by varying orders of magnitude.

IAmRei

FF12, long gameplay (You can speed it up) the gameplay is kind of RTWP with lot of customization and gambit system is awesome, gambit is system to program Your auto response based on the situation You set before. the artstyle are stellar, and the story is fine, if not one of the best.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
XII easily. VII Remake’s story is not great to say the least. I personally enjoyed XVI but it is a weak entry.

Hope you change your mind on the older games. VI, VII, IX, and X are some of the best games ever! V and VIII have die-hard fans as well!

RaduN

XII is a once is an lifetime adventure.
The world building, the score, the Shakespeare-ian script, the voice acting, the complexity of the core gameplay, are the absolute best in the series.
The polish and production values are through the roof as well.

Basically one needs to play FFXII at least once (every 2 years or so) 😋

Ps. That's not to say that the others are not great. Even XV as dissapointing as it was after a decade of mind-blowing teasers and stuff, is worth spending time with.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Depends what you look for. A "classic" FF experience? Or just have fun ?

I would say FFXII will be the more classic. Real time combat but not action and still with some menu based stuff. I really liked it but half the cast and the story almost made me drop it.
Love the combat system.

FFXV is quite good in my opinion. But if you're used to previous FF it doesn't necessarily feels like a FF.
Since you sounds like a "Final Fantasy Virgin" it shouldn't be a problem.
Action combat with some menu based actions.

FFXVI is a full action game. Barely any RPG mechanic.
The setting is nice and feels like a true FF.
But the combat is mainly flashy but that's it. And story fell apart at one point.

I haven't play Remake.

I would go for FFXII or XV depending if you want a "classic" experience or a more modern one.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
The remakes are fine. Don't listen to the 'tHe oRiGiNAl wAs BeTtAH' folks. They are just gatekeepers.

MAtgS

Job system seems complicated to me coming from IV.
Let me make it simple:
1. 1 character grind Ranger, Ninja, and Mystic Knight.
2. After those are mastered, switch to Freelancer and equip the Rapid-Fire/Dual-wield/spellblade abilities.
3. This party member can now do 8 charged up attacks per turn instead of just 1 regular attack. How good is this? Good enough they made it Bartz super move in Dissidia.
4. The other 3 party members are all red mages. Red Mage is awesome for the first 2/3s of the game and absolute shit the remaining 1/3. But that won't matter because you wanna master it for the dual casting ability.
5. Change to whatever magic based jobs (I at least go for White Mage and Summoner) and equip dualcast to enjoy the Bahamut spam.
6. Most of these jobs aren't available right away so roll with whatever worked for ya in FF1 until you get them.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
all-of-it-lala-ri.gif

Top Bottom