• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game would you choose to represent 4 years of Playstation 5?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Oh No Crash GIF by PlayStation
Without a doubt

tommib

Gold Member
Demon’s Souls and Returnal. Their best 1-2 punch of the generation. Actually made me super hopeful that PS was back to a less mainstream road.

Then they doubled down on Horizon and Marvel. 😭

Edgelord79

Gold Member
PlayStation 5 - Astrobot (not even close). It represents everything good about gaming; it’s accessible to a wide range of people; it seems to have staying power; the games are ambassadors to the brand, It is in effect Sony’s Mario.

No idea about the other.

REDRZA MWS

Demons souls remake…… and then I’m not sure. Haven’t enjoyed many Sony 1st party lately. Bring back SOCOM, pretty please.

S0ULZB0URNE

30th Demon's Souls: It was released two times and it started a whole new genre

This Gen defining game?
Elden Ring: It mastered the style DS introduced and took it to new heights.

Ozzie666

Concord is a watershed moment in gaming for all the wrong reasons. A history doomed to be repeated.

Whilst not first party (may as well be), FF7 is my stand out thus and it's the game I think of when I think of Playstation 5 right now. PS4 was Ghosts.

ZehDon

Remake of a PS3 game that already had a remaster on PS4, update for PS4 Pro and already ran through backwards compatibility on PS5.
You can't get a more PS5 experience than this.

0kRqUeSBIbQzz7cen3c989c6.jpg
This is legitimately what I think of when I think of the PS5.

nial

Demon’s Souls and Returnal. Their best 1-2 punch of the generation. Actually made me super hopeful that PS was back to a less mainstream road.

Then they doubled down on Horizon and Marvel. 😭
How is From Souls not mainstream, at all? Stellar Blade is a much better example here, but I guess it doesn't fit the situation.

Pimpbaa

I mean Stellar Blade is my favorite Sony exclusive for this gen, but it definitely isn’t representative of the games we have got so far (as far as 1st party goes). Spider-man 2 defines Sony this gen. Lazy sequels (reused gameplay and assets) and bad writing with an increased push for “THE MESSAGE”. There are exceptions however like Stellar Blade, Returners, and Astrobot (never played it but does it reuse much from Astro’s playroom?).

nial

I mean Stellar Blade is my favorite Sony exclusive for this gen, but it definitely isn’t representative of the games we have got so far (as far as 1st party goes). Spider-man 2 defines Sony this gen. Lazy sequels (reused gameplay and assets) and bad writing with an increased push for “THE MESSAGE”. There are exceptions however like Stellar Blade, Returners, and Astrobot (never played it but does it reuse much from Astro’s playroom?).
There are more exceptions than games defining Sony according to you, lol (assuming they do).

Unfortunately, the ones I'd pick don't represent the mess Sony is this gen.

My picks: Astrobot, Returnal.

Realistic picks: Spiderman, TLOU

Remake of a PS3 game that already had a remaster on PS4, update for PS4 Pro and already ran through backwards compatibility on PS5.
You can't get a more PS5 experience than this.

0kRqUeSBIbQzz7cen3c989c6.jpg

Don't forget about how it was supposed to have been "built from the ground up for PS5" and wound up looking like a ps4 pro game (similar fidelity to LoU2 on ps5). To me that's a perfect microcosm of Sony and the PS5 this gen.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

PS5 - Demon’s Souls. A remake of an old game. Still better than what modern gaming has to offer. Still better than what the competition has to offer. Impressive visuals haven’t been surpassed 4 years into this sad generation. This is the perfect capsule of the PS5SX generation. A sad reminder of the best of times.

PS30 years - Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. Hennig is god.
1c932080afca5bd2513f40fb3cb1418d_5186629211925555647.jpg

Pimpbaa

There are more exceptions than games defining Sony according to you, lol (assuming they do).

Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Miles Morales, Spider-man 2, Rachet and Clank Rift Apart, Remasters of TLOU 1 and 2 (don’t count as sequels obviously, but man Naughty Dog put out nothing new this gen so far). That’s all the ones I can my weed addled brain can remember at the moment.

Last edited:

Kabelly

As a true PS5 Sony exclusive in these 4 years , it would either only be Returnal or Astrobot.

Everything else is an iterative sequel or a remake.

Stellar Blade, while my game of the year, was, and still is a multiplatform game. I don't view it as a Sony game.

Still waiting for new IP Naughty Dog. Factions would have also been peak if they focused on the right things.

Mobilemofo

Probably Returnal. I know it's a weird choice, but it is a PS5 game, it looks nice, has great sound design, plays well enough. Solid as fuck.

Hoddi

Demon's Souls remake is still the only game this gen that has made me genuinely excited for it. Many have been good/fine but the gaming industry been awfully bland these past years.

I definitely have to give the God of War series the nod for the past 30 years though. I've played through all the old games (up to Ascension) in the past year on various emulators and consoles and they're all still brilliant even today. GoW 2018 is still good/fine but it's nothing like those older games.

I also have to play Returnal at some point though.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
Returnal, because it's a new ip and it's not a cinematic action adventure,
Second place is Remastered. That game is so good, Sony keeps making sequels.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Astro, obviously. The damn thing comes with an Astro game bundled into it that celebrates the console.

4 years of PS5: The Last of Us series. This gen so far has been about redoing everything and diversity thematic.

986753_front.jpg

30 years of PlayStation: Gran Turismo series. Always there, always exclusive and almost always great.

17290_front.jpg

Last edited:

Trilobit

KPcqW9U.png

/s obviously

Don't ban me.

It's gotten to the point where you can post Concord in any thread and it will give me a good laugh.

Edit: I realized I haven't played a single PS5 exclusive game so RDR2 still represents my best and most memorable experience on it. Going to try Returnal some day though.

Last edited:
PS5 - Demon’s Souls. A remake of an old game. Still better than what modern gaming has to offer. Still better than what the competition has to offer. Impressive visuals haven’t been surpassed 4 years into this sad generation. This is the perfect capsule of the PS5SX generation. A sad reminder of the best of times.

PS30 years - Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune. Hennig is god.
1c932080afca5bd2513f40fb3cb1418d_5186629211925555647.jpg
Elden ring wants to have a word with you
Elden shits on demon souls anyday

Top Bottom