• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which MAME do you use?

There's something like 30+ MAME variants and that's not including discontinued MAME projects. Just curious about everyone's experience with some of those variants.

Personally I use MAME32 Plus!. It's pretty similar to the regular MAME32 although it has a few improvements like added filters and it stores settings in an .ini file instead of the registry.

neptunes

kawaks.jpg

I use win kawaks for neo geon and cps-1&2 roms

we should play over kaillera some time ;)

MASB

I use MAME32. I tried MAME32Plus!, but a lot of games that worked for me in MAME32 wouldn't work in Plus! for whatever reason.

neptunes

yeah, through kaillera given that u find a good server to play online.

I've been having fun with it, especially with my psx to usb adapter :D

swoon

xmame w/some stupid gnome mame front end cause all the kde ones suck.

i wish virtual pinball worked in linux.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
seismologist said:
Can you play Metal Slug 2 co-op online?

Yep. I've played all Metal Slugs (sans MS5) with a friend online. Very fun shit...we go through Metal Slug 3 on the hardest difficulty sometimes too

btrboyev

so tell me just for fun..I have an old 466 mhz pc with xp just hanging out..what version of mame would run best for that?? I'm positive the mame32 would run like poop.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MAME32 .82 for offline (wish I would have kept .78, .82 has serious slowdown when scrolling through my lists).

MAME32k .64 for online, though I haven't been on in about 5 months, it was the standard back then.

I've goofed around with other FrontEnds and stuff, but now I just like to keep it simple.

Speak of the devil, a new MAME is out. v0.84u5

Btw, I grabbed some new games based on some recommendations in that other MAME thread, but I can't get Sexy Parodius to work. I tried MAME32fx and Mame32P (Plus!) and it didn't show up in either list.

btrboyev said:
so tell me just for fun..I have an old 466 mhz pc with xp just hanging out..what version of mame would run best for that?? I'm positive the mame32 would run like poop.

There's a "fastMAME" that's optimized for slower processors. Never tried it though.

nitewulf

i use mame32 0.62 and 0.80 (shadow, sexy parodius works here, just re include the directory and let the program refresh and detect everything again, i also got some new games due to the other thread).
i keep both because 0.62 plays some games that 0.80 does not...but 0.62 does not keep the button configs for each game, i really gotta find one single version that will allow me to play everything.

8bit

Knows the Score
The Shadow said:
Speak of the devil, a new MAME is out. v0.84u5

Btw, I grabbed some new games based on some recommendations in that other MAME thread, but I can't get Sexy Parodius to work. I tried MAME32fx and Mame32P (Plus!) and it didn't show up in either list.

You might need the KonamiGX rom for that. Oh, and I've using MAMEoX for Parodii & Salamander 2 mostly, it goes well with the widescreen TV and arcade stick.

aku:jiki

impirius said:
MAMEoX, of course!
Yes.

Not by choice, or anything, really... My computer is very old and up until very recently, I have been apathetic towards upgrading. Started thinking about it now, though. Getting kind of fed up with frameskips and nice games not working at all, when they should.

nitewulf said:
shadow, sexy parodius works here, just re include the directory and let the program refresh and detect everything again, i also got some new games due to the other thread.

That's the first thing I did. A lot of the new games I grabbed showed up except for Sexy Parodius.

sexyparo.zip - is that correct?

8bit

Knows the Score
The Shadow said:
That's the first thing I did. A lot of the new games I grabbed showed up except for Sexy Parodius.

Do you have konamigx.zip as well?

nitewulf

The Shadow said:

thats correct. mind you i have mame32, not plus. and i dont have the konamigx file, and it runs fine.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Is Psyiko's 'The Fallen Angles' a good game? I never knew it existed 'til last week.

daraku.png

COCKLES

being watched
Never heard of it. But that's great thing about MAME - discovering new gems :D

Talking of which...if anyone wants the complete set of .84 roms. I hear that popular BitTorrent site has a 9GIG download of them. Cough. "Oh no..the suns blown up and it looks like it's going S_______".

;)

I don't care for S_______ anymore. The speeds I get off that site suck, generally 3-5KB when I usually get 100-300KB off private trackers.

8bit said:
Do you have konamigx.zip as well?

No I don't and I'm having trouble finding it too.

I honestly don't think that's the problem though. There are some non-Konami games that are supported by MAME but aren't showing up on the list of available games, like a couple of Neo-Geo shooters I grabbed. Don't know why. :(

Remember, even if there's missing roms in the set (like neogeo.zip or konamigx.zip) they should still show up on the list. They just won't load up properly when you try to run them.

These games aren't showing up at all, as if they're named improperly or they're not supported.

I switched to MAME32 and only one additional game showed up, Mechanized Attack. That's about it. :(

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I've always wanted to get into some MAME gaming. What are some games worht playing.. excluding fighting games and the Metal Slug games which I already know about.

The Shadow said:
I honestly don't think that's the problem though. There are some non-Konami games that are supported by MAME but aren't showing up on the list of available games, like a couple of Neo-Geo shooters I grabbed. Don't know why. :(
This is a wild guess since I don't know how MAME32 works, but... Maybe you have outdated ROMs?

But shouldn't they show up and give an error if so, since all it should be looking for is the zip filename? I wouldn't know.

8bit

Knows the Score
The Shadow said:
Remember, even if there's missing roms in the set (like neogeo.zip or konamigx.zip) they should still show up on the list. They just won't load up properly when you try to run them.

Good point, check your rompaths, your PMs and make sure you refresh/audit your files.

8bit said:
Good point, check your rompaths, your PMs and make sure you refresh/audit your files.

They're in the same directory as the working roms. I copied them to the "roms" subdirectory in MAME32 and refreshed but they're still not showing up. I have no idea why.

*edit*

Ok. Got it to work. I've always just clicked "Available" on the side to just display the available roms. Sexy Parodius doesn't show up for some reason.

However, when I click "All Games" and scroll down to Sexy Parodius and click it. It works.

Mystery solved, sort of. I wonder why it doesn't show up as an available game.

Btw, thanks for the help. I did need that other set.

belgurdo

Banned
I'm using Mame plus .084 and some of my games are just chugging like crazy, while some run like butter. Is that a result of the computer or emulator incompatibility?

belgurdo said:
I'm using Mame plus .084 and some of my games are just chugging like crazy, while some run like butter. Is that a result of the computer or emulator incompatibility?
It emulates a whole lot of different hardware -- of course games are going to run differently well.

The MAMEdev team has increased focus on "true" emulation as well. No speed hacks or anything similar, just raw, pure emulation. Even if it requires 9GHz to run well.

So, for some games I hear you have to revert back to old versions to get them to play well...

nitewulf

The Shadow said:
They're in the same directory as the working roms. I copied them to the "roms" subdirectory in MAME32 and refreshed but they're still not showing up. I have no idea why.

*edit*

Ok. Got it to work. I've always just clicked "Available" on the side to just display the available roms. Sexy Parodius doesn't show up for some reason.

However, when I click "All Games" and scroll down to Sexy Parodius and click it. It works.

Mystery solved, sort of. I wonder why it doesn't show up as an available game.

Btw, thanks for the help. I did need that other set.

oh yeah, same thing happens with me with some games. they all have "black" icons, you can click them and add them to "favorites" so you wont have to bother with scrolling all the way from the "available" list.

Gyruss

MAME 0.73 was the last version to have the too-recent games (e.g. Sengoku 3), so I keep it around. Otherwise I stay up to date with MAME32.
The input port changes going on right now have completely hosed up my controller configs, however. Hopefully they get fixed. I'd also like to see an interface in MAME32 for the new sound-output-to-WAV option in the command line version.

neptunes

my neo-geo roms don't show up in mame

but my cps2's roms do..AND THEY'RE IN THE SAME FOLDER.

am I missing something?

Gyruss said:
MAME 0.73 was the last version to have the too-recent games (e.g. Sengoku 3), so I keep it around. Otherwise I stay up to date with MAME32.
The input port changes going on right now have completely hosed up my controller configs, however. Hopefully they get fixed. I'd also like to see an interface in MAME32 for the new sound-output-to-WAV option in the command line version.

Does .73 have the speed hacks to run stuff like Crusin' USA at a playable rate?

And those input port changes, is that why my joystick is all ass backwards when I use it? For games that require digital control, it's fine. But if the arcade game used anything analong like a steering wheel, Left is right, up is down, everything is mirrored. I have to configure everything backwards to get it to work right.

Mirk

After a lot of work I am up to date with .84 works great.
I'll have to check out these online versions.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Pockets said:
This and the other threads make me want to dust off the old ROM CDs I have kickin around somewhere

This thread made me fire up my Mame cabinet, realise I wasn't satisfied with the controls and order a brand new set, now I'm out like a hundred bucks.

MASB

Gyruss said:
MAME 0.73 was the last version to have the too-recent games (e.g. Sengoku 3), so I keep it around.
Sengoku 3 was just added in the latest MAME updates, so I guess some of the games under the 2 year (later extended to 3 year) ban are slowly being let back in.

And it's nice to see Astrolad back and posting again. :)

Top Bottom