• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

OttomanScribe said:
I am talking to a bronze pig :)

[snip]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Mujahid-inshaAllah-/5813_234572075356_703290356_8283609_7491487_n.jpg[/snip]

/attentionwhore
Loving the new avatar OS.

DeathNote said:
:(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27646166&postcount=5802
sJNsz.png
Damn it, no. =(

V_Arnold

In a way, Segata Sanshiro was right. I am not saying it is anyone's fault on NeoGaf particularly, and especially not any mods/owners "fault", but discussions turn into raw savage battles in a matter of seconds now, and that is really, really scary sometimes.

I played a game of StarCraft 2 last night, totally dominated over that poor chesser opponent, and he says after struggling for 40 mins in his base: "you cant believe how much I hate you now" I was like:WTF? Why? Tried to talk him out of hating people over a ladder game, but did not really help. Same goes for some forum fights. Pointless. (And I still love many discussions here, especially the ones that are brewed over any particular game balance like in Magic OT, etc.)

Zeliard

Arguments can get heated here and I've been in my share of them but that's typically because both sides have the strength of their convictions. Debates are after all more fun when the two sides actually believe what they're trying to argue.

Course, there aren't really any shortage of peeps on GAF who will play devil's advocate with vigor. :>

Neki

V_Arnold said:
In a way, Segata Sanshiro was right. I am not saying it is anyone's fault on NeoGaf particularly, and especially not any mods/owners "fault", but discussions turn into raw savage battles in a matter of seconds now, and that is really, really scary sometimes.

I played a game of StarCraft 2 last night, totally dominated over that poor chesser opponent, and he says after struggling for 40 mins in his base: "you cant believe how much I hate you now" I was like:WTF? Why? Tried to talk him out of hating people over a ladder game, but did not really help. Same goes for some forum fights. Pointless. (And I still love many discussions here, especially the ones that are brewed over any particular game balance like in Magic OT, etc.)

getting pissed off that you're losing means you're invested into the game. I don't know if he actually hated you (it's the internet) but the fact that he cares that he's losing means he is going to try to get better, or continue hating people that beat him. Either way, it's a natural reaction to get upset over losing, especially in a competitive game like Starcraft 2.

bengraven

Seems like there comes a point where you either respectfully ask for a ban and retire or you just finally piss someone off to the degree you're perma'd. Which is why most of the OG crew is gone. Kind of sad, I miss some guys, I should have got more info from them before they left.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Several people said:

Aeana said:
That photo was taken from an open directory of a friend of hers who shares her web space. I assume that's why people just assume it's her. It isn't.

Thanks Aeana. That friend would be me. Dragona and I used to work together at PGC and we met at a few events and we've been good friends for years. In fact, I'm pretty sure I met her at the same event Mike Works did.

In any case, that photo is not hers. That photo was of a co-worker at a Best Buy (obviously Geek Squad) I used to work at. My memory is hazy, but I'm going to say that pic was taken in 2005-2006? Maybe 2007, but I doubt that. She's also a fun person, and a sweet girl, but for completely different reasons. The two are completely different personalities, so it's really quite funny to me that they keep being confused as each other.

My only guess is that someone with nothing better to do with their life, knew about that PGC work/friend connection I had with Dragona, decided to fish through my webspace (interigames.com) and found a subdomain I kept long ago, where I posted a bunch of plain text links to a bunch of pictures I took one night at that Best Buy with the guys (and girl). If someone still has the whole archive, I'm the sad looking dude at the desk in a ponytail, squinting behind glasses in the blackface camo face paint. It was a horrible horrible night of doing inventory made slightly better by having good people to work with.

I kind of wish whoever it was that found those pictures would just admit to it. I suspect they might have downloaded the whole list of pictures (there was maybe 20-30 max?) and I lost them ages ago. Even the old Sony Ericsson phone I took them with has been destroyed.

Dead Man

blame space said:
i dont really get how shit like this and posting that image is okay

I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANY MORE

which mod should i tattle to

EDIT: no, not Dead Man.. not now
spiderman123 said:
Dead man banned? hope not perma
Awww... shucks. Nah, just a week off for being a snotty bastard! :D

MC Safety said:
People are asking why dragona quit being a moderator?

How come no one is asking why she was made a moderator in the first place?

She was everything a moderator shouldn't be and a few things a moderator should never be.
Instigator said:
IDK, to me it makes perfect sense. She was pissed at the world and imposed some feminist agenda on a forum 99,998% male.

If she had been a 9, she would never have been here.
airmangataosenai said:
Back when I lurked I always found her style annoying too, glad I wasn't the only one. What a reprehensible person, people like her should never be given any sort of position of authority as they don't know how to handle it.
Damn I wish Dragona was still a mod, she was awesome. People love Bish for being a hard arse, and hated Dragona for the same thing. And to call her reprehensible seems a bit strong, even if you do disagree with her stance on certain issues.

SmokyDave said:
Fuck Himuro. The only thing uglier than his suicide is seeing people defend him.

Edit: I'm glad you read this post too. There was no need to take someone else down with you, if you wanted out you should've been grown up enough just to stop posting. At least now you can be a big fish in a little pond, eh?
Indeed. Suicide is fine, but make it a solo event, not a group activity.

OttomanScribe said:
I thought that place was predominantly a pick up thread? :S

I am talking to a bronze pig made of pure awesome :)

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/Mujahid-inshaAllah-/5813_234572075356_703290356_8283609_7491487_n.jpg[IMG]

/attentionwhore[/QUOTE]
Radelaide?!! I though you lived in Sydney. Oh, and I fixed that for you :)

Edit:[QUOTE=spindashing]Holy shit, this thread. It revives the banned.[/QUOTE]
:)

Zeliard

Heh perusing this thread can lead you to some of the GAF knock-offs which are hilarious (and not just OA). I saw fistfulofmetal on one, chuckled a bit.

Mike M

Nick N
Salazar said:
Big Sicily's avalanche of statistics, charts, and condescension was pretty good (intolerable) while it lasted. I can't quite remember what the final straw was.
Pretty sure it was the thread where Bill Nye got caught on film by a security camera outside a Creationism museum and then they (The museum) posted it on the web along with a taunting message.

BigSicily apparently harbored some really bizarre and deep-rooted hatred of Bill Nye for being successful and absolutely flipped his shit over the incident, ranting about how Bill Nye shouldn't be provoking them... By allowing himself to be photographed without his knowledge and having them post it online...

He had claimed to think Creationists were idiots, which just made the whole thing even more perplexing.

SmokyDave

Zeliard said:
Heh perusing this thread can lead you to some of the GAF knock-offs which are hilarious (and not just OA). I saw fistfulofmetal on one, chuckled a bit.
I think they're a bit creepy and weird. The idea of signing up to a forum to discuss the contents of another forum just seems a little bit... well, I'm not sure, really. Creepy.

SmokyDave said:
I think they're a bit creepy and weird. The idea of signing up to a forum to discuss the contents of another forum just seems a little bit... well, I'm not sure, really. Creepy.

I was trying to find costanza's knockoff forum but salva convinced me otherwise.

edit: stupid auto correct ipad function.

Esch

Banned
SmokyDave said:

Internet->GAF->Internet.

Zeliard

SmokyDave said:

On some level I can understand wanting to be with fellow banned people you already know and such, but they do seem to enjoy talking about what GAF is doing, and that is pretty creepy indeed.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It's not that creepy. Talking to fellow active GAFfers about topics the moderation doesnt tolerate can actually be fun at times. You'd be surprised at how different they behave on and off GAF, for better or worse.

Zeliard said:
On some level I can understand wanting to be with fellow banned people you already know and such, but they do seem to enjoy talking about what GAF is doing, and that is pretty creepy indeed.

On some other level, there are things that can not be said here because of the hive mind and stricter moderation.

Then again, they do talk about other stuff.

SmokyDave

Jinfash said:
It's not that creepy. Talking to fellow active GAFfers about topics the moderation doesnt tolerate can actually be fun at times. You'd be surprised at how different they behave on and off GAF, for better or worse.
Now that, I can totally understand. Maybe I've skipped over that forum and just landed on the ones full of bitter banned blokes.

Zeliard

Jinfash said:

Joining up with former gaffers is perfectly fine, but in one there's a sticky thread specifically to bitch about GAF that's gone like 100 pages. People have to learn to let some things go, heh.

Zeliard said:
Joining up with former gaffers is perfectly fine, but in one there's a sticky thread specifically to bitch about GAF that's gone like 100 pages. People have to learn to let some things go, heh.

I think that's where the creepy and mentally unstable part jumps in. :p

Zeliard said:

One thread. Very easy to avoid.

TheExodu5

Banned
The guy with the snowman avatar...Odysseus I think? That was an interesting fit of rage...

The Boris ban might be a little funny, though that wasn't the real reason for his perm.

The fistful ban I thought was quite hilarious.

Zeliard

Instigator said:

Well, the OP there pretty heavily implies that bitching about GAF was going on all over the place and they decided to consolidate it into one stickied thread. But lest I descend into hypocrisy-land I think I'll stop talking about those forums. :p

Dead Man

SmokyDave said:
Phoenix Down Thread!

Good to see you back, my man.
Good to be back.
spiderman123 said:
I KNOW!!! DEAD MAN IS A FUCKIN ZOMBIE.
Shhhh.... Don't tell anyone.

Zeliard said:
I certainly found a few that were new to me and had a bit of a laugh.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mike Works said:
The only other event I can really remember that got me banned (though not as a mod/admin) was the "let's do something new every day" thread. Those were pretty good times.

Which got me banned as well. It was a really fun thread indeed.

TheExodu5

Banned
^ I've been banned for being an idiot sometimes. I think I said (amically, though in poor taste) "shut your filthy whore mouth" to Aeana. I always felt bad about that one. Got a nice 3 monther for that. Thankfully I usually repeat my posts in my head before I hit the post button to double check that I'm not being a jackass.

I'm remembering more people....Mike B, Hans, Kittonwy (sensing a trend here)...they're all banned, right?

I can't remember how they went out...

KevinCow

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Thankfully I usually repeat my posts in my head before I hit the post button to double check that I'm not being a jackass.

I usually do that, but then I read my post again later and think, "Holy shit, I'm a jackass."

For the record, I apologize to anyone I've been a jackass to. Which is probably most of the board at one point or another.

TheExodu5 said:
^ I've been banned for being an idiot sometimes. I think I said (amically, though in poor taste) "shut your filthy whore mouth" to Aenna. I always felt bad about that one. Got a nice 3 monther for that. Thankfully I usually repeat my posts in my head before I hit the post button to double check that I'm not being a jackass.

Was Aenae a mod? Heck, was Mike Works a mod? The only people I'm aware were mods before I started even lurking here are Drinky Crow and sp0rk. I'm young :3

Oh, and the only time I didn't think "wait, this is a silly post, i'm being silly" was the only time I got banned. Ha

LosDaddie

Banned
JBaird has to be the answer here. It was a long, hilarious thread. JB really kept going to the bitter end. :lol

Big Sicily had a pretty good meltdown. He was either a troll, or just someone who really hates Dems.

vordhosbn said:
I nominate Himuro.

Definitely not. Himuro's ban wasn't funny at all. It was a display of how sad of a life he lives. The guy got angry about a girl flaunting her titties. :lol That right there is a sign of a guy who gets no pussy.

No, what was funny was reading the White Knights coming to someone as pathetic as Himuro's defense....and in multiple threads. How do you defend someone throwing a temper tantrum over a female's titties? :lol

Let him be miserable with all the other banned GAFers at EB, or wherever they sulk at now. Good riddance :)

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
KevinCow said:
No. I saw him post the other day. And it was just a regular post, not a rage-fueled rant. I think it was in the OoT3D thread?

For all his stupid faux rage stories in the past, Docpan will forever be awesome for that story he told about needing to take a shit while jogging, which was then turned into one of the most profound and moving dramatic readings of our generation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Instigator said:

Well, he is sort-of right. The obsession with GAF that the spin-offs that aren't Costanza's have is a bit weird. The non-asshole board (if you've been to all three, you'll know the one) has a certain air of elitism when it comes their bitching about GAF at times.

However, it has Segata and so can't be that bad...

I also fucking hate how I have to tiptoe around naming them due to GAF policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom