• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here lives in Florida?

Sallokin

Melbourne... we have... uh... I guess we have beaches, and Cape Canaveral is kind of close....

Yeah it's nothing but blue-hairs here =(

SolKane

Born and raised in Florida (Orlando) but left a couple of years ago. For some reason I started missing it recently (I guess because it's home), though if I ever moved back it would be to Miami.

Necrovex

Tampa-Gaf representing (well technically Brandon)! :'-(

I would really rather live in St. Pete or Sarasota than Tampa. I dislike Tampa.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Punta Gorda here,
Attending FGCU.

Man, I don't even know where anything is. I never venture out of my hole.

lol, i'm the same. Especially for what he is asking, and i'm probably the closest out of all posters so far (about 45 mins north of Naples).

GAMERG0D

In all of my 17 years of life I have never wanted to get out of this state so much.

Central, near Deland and Orange City.

891830-City-of-Tampa-Mural_view.jpg

Orlando.

Go Knights

Edit: Is that project even happening? I thought Scott pulled the plug on it. Would have connected Tampa and Orlando, right?

SolKane

Orlando.

Go Knights

Edit: Is that project even happening? I thought Scott pulled the plug on it. Would have connected Tampa and Orlando, right?

You're thinking of High Speed Rail. SunRail is the commuter rail which runs from DeLand to Kissimmee. They've already broken ground on it and it's supposed to be running next year I believe.

You're thinking of High Speed Rail. SunRail is the commuter rail which runs from DeLand to Kissimmee. They've already broken ground on it and it's supposed to be running next year I believe.

Oh I see. DeLand to Kissimmee? Eh... I couldn't imagine a scenario in which that would ever be used by me. Is that a common route? I guess it is if they're building a train for it.

Credo

Is there anywhere in Florida that's unaffected by the constant hurricanes, or at the very least only slightly affected?

SolKane

Oh I see. DeLand to Kissimmee? Eh... I couldn't imagine a scenario in which that would ever be used by me. Is that a common route? I guess it is if they're building a train for it.

Well there are stops in between DeLand and Kissimmee :p It goes to downtown and is basically to serve people who commute from suburbs (ex: Winter Park, Sanford, Longwood).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunRail

Is there anywhere in Florida that's unaffected by the constant hurricanes, or at the very least only slightly affected?

This is like asking if there's any part of Hawaii that doesn't have ocean.

Steelrain

Daaaamn! Tampa-GAF is deep.

I'll remember that next time I'm home. I definitely miss it during the Spring Break/Summer time period.

Jacksonville is the pits.

Jacksonville

No jobs, shitty economy, too many old white people. Get me the fuck out of here.

I'm in Jacksonville too!... and it blows.

You shut your lying whore mouths!

Jacksonville here too, I dunno - I kinda love it here.

Weather is usually really good (past 10 days excluded), some of the best golf in america, NFL football (hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, like the Jags are real football, LA Jags, move to london, etc) River for water sports, great food, no state income tax, great local breweries, Economy is great for me, etc.

I dunno, maybe Im doing it wrong or something .. but I cant complain. Go Jags!

Edit:

DUUUUUUUUVVVVVVAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

:p

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Miramar here. For now anyway. I'll be back in Hialeah soon while I save up some money to buy a place nearby.

There kind of was a SoFla GAF meetup after the last Zelda concert at the very end of last year. I just barely didn't make it because of work, but from what IrishNinja said there were a few people there.

And not all the FL hate comes from outsiders. Some of us are born and bred here and aren't particularly fond of the place.

Miamigaf here. :3 plus 1 to the Naples is best spot in FL though. Go there all the time for vacation with family. Love it there. Beautiful place

Meohsix

In all of my 17 years of life I have never wanted to get out of this state so much.

Central, near Deland and Orange City.

Heh, i lived in Florida for 17 years and just left this past December. couldn't be happier.
i was in the Daytona area.

gwarm01

And not all the FL hate comes from outsiders. Some of us are born and bred here and aren't particularly fond of the place.

I know Florida has some rednecky places, but as someone who was born in raised in Arkansas, I just don't get the hate. Granted, I do always visit the beautiful towns on the ocean, but Florida just seems like such a kickass place compared to where I live. I still have the awful rednecks, the terribly corrupt government, and the backwards social issues... and I also live in Arkansas. Land of shitty weather all year round. Ice, tornadoes, humid summers that routinely break 100 degrees. At least you have the ocean.

edit: although I guess the really bad states aren't even considered when people complain about where they live.

Sanchito

Heh, I lived in Destin for a year.

Never again.

Yeah my wife and I lived on Gulf Shore Dr for almost a year. I can say I agree with you. I've lived in the area my whole life and I surely don't miss living out in Destin during the summer. I avoid going out there when possible then. During the off season, it's not so bad though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So many South Florida Gaffers and we can't even get a decent meetup organized. What's up with that?

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I know Florida has some rednecky places, but as someone who was born in raised in Arkansas, I just don't get the hate. Granted, I do always visit the beautiful towns on the ocean, but Florida just seems like such a kickass place compared to where I live. I still have the awful rednecks, the terribly corrupt government, and the backwards social issues... and I also live in Arkansas. Land of shitty weather all year round. Ice, tornadoes, humid summers that routinely break 100 degrees. At least you have the ocean.

edit: although I guess the really bad states aren't even considered when people complain about where they live.

Of course, it's always a matter of perspective and taste. I can acknowledge that the Miami area is a perfectly great place to live for a lot of people. I'm pretty sure all of my complaints can either be classified as nitpicky or as things that most other people might consider positives.

My problem is that I've had these preferences since I was a teenager. I'm nearing 30, and I've had the opportunity to travel to (and for a short while, live in) several different places. All of this has only reinforced my desire for a change.

So many South Florida Gaffers and we can't even get a decent meetup organized. What's up with that?

Ask IrishNinja and Hawkian. Those are the two I've seen put in the most effort in the past year or two.

zaryn

Any Orlando peeps anticipating the SunRail project?

I'm in Lake Mary and live less than a mile from one of the new stations. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I really hope it makes traveling downtown much easier, and safer for those less frequent late nights (yay parenthood).

Top Bottom