• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Korean/Chinese made games so heavily focused on currencies/materials?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Sorry, this is a short rant. In the past few month we've been hit with game after game from Korean and Chinese developers. While there may be some good things to say about the game design or how fun they can be to play, what's starting to ruin things for me is one thing

Dealing with an absolutely absurd amount of currencies and materials in these games.

Here are some recent examples:
The First Descendent
Once Human
Black Desert
Throne and Liberty
Genshin Impact
Honkai Star Rail
Wuthering Waves
Zenless Zone Zero

All these game have this common thing where you need to collect an unfathomable amount of currencies to upgrade, purchase and sell stuff including with in game and real money purchases. I understand there is a psychology behind this to keep people playing by setting these small manageable goals that always gives a sense that you can go for another half hour to get enough shinies to do this thing or that thing. Also, none of this is new necessarily. Black Desert has been available for 10 years. But I wish devs would tone it down a bit. It starts to feel more and more like these games are more about inventory management than actually playing the damn game.

I've spent 15-20 minutes in some hub just managing the currency I have, or figuring out what mission I need to do to get this once specific currency or material that has this one function amongst 50 other different currencies that I will later have to chase for a different purpose and put all that together to get one thing that I want. It's fucking annoying already.

One could argue that Destiny has gone this route and Warframe is probably the gran daddy of them all, but I would argue that the design behind their currencies and materials make sense and there implementation was gradual throughout their availability. The First Descendent starts out where Warframe is now after 10 years. WTF am I crazy here? What do you guys think?

nikos

I feel the same exact way.

I've noped out of so many games as soon as the upgrade systems came into play. I understand upgrading some things, but so many games complicate it for no reason.

Sell me a premium currency or two, cosmetics, even straightforward upgrades, and I'll play/spend money on the game. Once it becomes convoluted with several types of currencies, upgrade materials, etc., I'm out.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Has nothing to do with where the devs are from. It's a genre thing.

0x0.jpg

mixcollage-02-feb-2024-11-56-pm-3654.jpg

RUwMqLf.png

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Aren't those games pretty much all mmos/mobile games? There's your answer.
Mobile games are the bane of my existence. I mean you might be able to say the same for games like Path of Exile right. Somehow, Path of Exile doesn't feel overwhelming to me. What is the difference there?

Labadal

You're looking at the wrong games. Instead, look at games like:

Tale of Wuxia
Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel
Ho Tu Lo Shu: Books of Dragon
Wandering Sword
Hero's Adventure
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
Faith of Danschant
The Scrolls of Taiwu

and there's probably 50 more good games that have absolutely no focus on the things that you mention.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Has nothing to do with where the devs are from. It's a genre thing.

0x0.jpg

mixcollage-02-feb-2024-11-56-pm-3654.jpg

RUwMqLf.png
I haven't played these games...well except Destiny 2...in years. Still D2 feels different somehow. Again I think it might be because of the gradual increase in currencies, how they are repurposed over time, etc. I'm not just slapped in the face with this from jump.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Art imitates life….. aren’t all these games mmo’s?
I don't think Honkai is an MMO. Genshin Impact barely has multiplayer. I would consider The First Descendant in the same genre as Destiny, so techinically a shared world fps (third person in case of TFD) Once human could be considered an MMO...kinda, but I wouldn't really call it that cuz there's noithing Massively multiplayer about the game.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I haven't played these games...well except Destiny 2...in years. Still D2 feels different somehow. Again I think it might be because of the gradual increase in currencies, how they are repurposed over time, etc. I'm not just slapped in the face with this from jump.
The majority of the games listed in you listed OP are just mobile games with PC/Console ports. Those currencies/materials are designed this way to incentivize players to login daily and buy their boosts in cash shop. Single player games from Chinese/Korean devs offer a more traditional single player experience and have no such pointless currencies system, e.g. Lis of P, Stellar Blade, and the upcoming Black Myth Wukong. That's why I was saying this is a genre thing.

You're looking at the wrong games. Instead, look at games like:

Tale of Wuxia
Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel
Ho Tu Lo Shu: Books of Dragon
Wandering Sword
Hero's Adventure
Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children
Faith of Danschant
The Scrolls of Taiwu

and there's probably 50 more good games that have absolutely no focus on the things that you mention.
This man knows what's good. Consider trying those single player games if you are into martial arts fantasy.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The majority of the games listed in you listed OP are just mobile games with PC/Console ports. Those currencies/materials are designed this way to incentivize players to login daily and buy their boosts in cash shop. Single player games from Chinese/Korean devs offer a more traditional single player experience and have no such pointless currencies system, e.g. Lis of P, Stellar Blade, and the upcoming Black Myth Wukong. That's why I was saying this is a genre thing.

This man knows what's good. Consider trying those single player games if you are into martial arts fantasy.
I'll look these up. Thanks for this.

yurinka

I'd say that most of the top played games there, and most of the ones made there, are F2P games. And they normally F2P games feature several currencies. So maybe they got used to it and think players like them / expect them, even in non F2P games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom