• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Does Gamestop Consider Opened Games New?

BojTrek

Banned
OK... I am looking for a "new", "unopened" copy of Castle Wolfenstein or Jedi Knight II for X-Box... it is for a gift and I do not want a used or opened copy.

Why does Gamestop consider a game they opened for display "new"? It is not "new" as soon as they open it.

I just got in a little discussion with the girl working at the Schaumburg, IL store... I asked for Castle Wolfenstein and she grabs the DVD out of one drawer and the case and instructions from another case.

I said "no, I need an unopened copy". She said "this is new, it was never used". I said "no, it is opened, I need an unopened copy". She retorted, "it is like a new copy cause it will be wrapped."

I don't know if she was going to shrink wrap it, but it was open and in my eyes... NOT NEW.

If I bought a new game, opened it and read the instructions and realized I would not like the style and play of the game. Would they allow me to return it for full refund? I never played it, so it is "new"

It makes no sense... DAMN... It is like the chicken or the egg...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
BojTrek said:
OK... I am looking for a "new", "unopened" copy of Castle Wolfenstein or Jedi Knight II for X-Box... it is for a gift and I do not want a used or opened copy.

Why does Gamestop consider a game they opened for display "new"? It is not "new" as soon as they open it.

I just got in a little discussion with the girl working at the Schaumburg, IL store... I asked for Castle Wolfenstein and she grabs the DVD out of one drawer and the case and instructions from another case.

I said "no, I need an unopened copy". She said "this is new, it was never used". I said "no, it is opened, I need an unopened copy". She retorted, "it is like a new copy cause it will be wrapped."

I don't know if she was going to shrink wrap it, but it was open and in my eyes... NOT NEW.

If I bought a new game, opened it and read the instructions and realized I would not like the style and play of the game. Would they allow me to return it for full refund? I never played it, so it is "new"

It makes no sense... DAMN... It is like the chicken or the egg...

eb too. i went to get my nephew fzero the other week (when it was 10 bucks), and all they had was the display box and the game in a sperate case.... eh, oh well. 10 bucks is 10 bucks

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
This will end well just like the other 40,000,001 times someone was complaining about it...

BojTrek

Banned
What sucks is that these two games that he wants are sort of older and Gamestop doesn't have many copies... or any new copies... so I have been to 4 different Gamestops in the last two days...

The guy wants a FPS shooter and loves Star Wars and got hooked on FPS back when Wolfenstein was created, back in the day...

Maybe Riddick, I don't know if he will like the stealth and hand-to-hand combat.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
It was a display copy. They take the CD and instructions out, and put the case on the wall for people to look at. When you buy the last copy, you get the display case game.

Now, is this stupid and does it suck? Yes. But it's a big corporate decision, and no one in the store you shopped at has any power to change it. So, the best thing to do is either:

A) Shop at a franchise that does not do this sort of thing

B) Get over it and let them shrink wrap it for you =P

Although it's kind of the 'principle' of the thing and I can understand, the shrinkwrapped copy will look almost identical to an un-opened copy. The CD itself has never been touched (other than having someone remove it from the box, but you'd have to remove it yourself to play it the first time, right?) so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I used to work at EB, and I'd say you'd get 1 or 2 customers a day who treated this situation like it's the end of the world. Please just save the poor innocent clerks some trouble and shop somewhere else initially if it bothers you. Thx! :D

P.S. You can yell at the manager though, that's fine. I freaking hated most of my managers and they tended to agree with everything the company wanted us to do (rather enthusiastically actually), so they deserve any shit you can give them.

Deg

Banned
Dont buy from them if they dont give you factory sealed copies. At first i didnt mind either as you feel sympathetic.

But when you get scatched cases and sctratched disks you'll do the same. Alot of the games are also used. I brought Advance Wars 2 and my VIP code was already used. The guy claimed it was never brought when i asked.

Blackace

"It was a display copy. They take the CD and instructions out, and put the case on the wall for people to look at. When you buy the last copy, you get the display case game.

Now, is this stupid and does it suck? Yes. But it's a big corporate decision, and no one in the store you shopped at has any power to change it. So, the best thing to do is either:

Although it's kind of the 'principle' of the thing and I can understand, the shrinkwrapped copy will look almost identical to an un-opened copy. The CD itself has never been touched (other than having someone remove it from the box, but you'd have to remove it yourself to play it the first time, right?) so it shouldn't be a huge deal.

I used to work at EB, and I'd say you'd get 1 or 2 customers a day who treated this situation like it's the end of the world. Please just save the poor innocent clerks some trouble and shop somewhere else initially if it bothers you. Thx! "

IAWTPAATJ

I also worked my way through college at an EB.....

MrCheez

Deg said:
Dont buy from them if they dont give you factory sealed copies. At first i didnt mind either as you feel sympathetic.

But when you get scatched cases and sctratched disks you'll do the same. Alot of the games are also used. I brought Advance Wars 2 and my VIP code was already used. The guy claimed it was never brought when i asked.

How long ago was this? EB and GameStop used to re-stock "returned" games as new, but stopped this about 2 years ago.

(Of course this is a double-edged sword. Now everyone raises hell when they can't return opened-games.)

BojTrek

Banned
No, I was not rude to her or any of the other stores I visited... but if you are giving a gift, who wants a touched up, bent instruction manual...

Shit, I should have just wrapped up my Max Payne 2 package in Seran-Wrap...

It is not a big deal, but for gifts... people like to see new things... not scratched up pakages that 100 of people picked up and down on the shelf...

Plus, remember... I am anal... I need cleaned untouched, new things...

Blackace

Son of Godzilla said:
Every single electronics dealer gives deals on floor models, I'd assume if you bitched enough Gamestop would have to too.

Floor models are used.... the games are not... it is that simple... floor models are touch and groped by the masses the games are not... that is the logic they are using...

IJoel

MrCheez said:
It was a display copy. They take the CD and instructions out, and put the case on the wall for people to look at. When you buy the last copy, you get the display case game.

I used to work at EB, and I'd say you'd get 1 or 2 customers a day who treated this situation like it's the end of the world. Please just save the poor innocent clerks some trouble and shop somewhere else initially if it bothers you. Thx! :D

Yes, the same poor innocent clerks that will roll their eyes until they leave the eye sockets when you tell them you don't want the opened product. I prefer unopened games and more than a few times this has happened to me and the fucking clerk puts this face that makes me want to shove his head through magazine racks. Again, I completely understand the issue from a company management perspective, but they should instruct clerks to tell the customers about it and not try and shove the opened copy to them.

Deg

Banned
MrCheez said:
How long ago was this? EB and GameStop used to re-stock "returned" games as new, but stopped this about 2 years ago.

(Of course this is a double-edged sword. Now everyone raises hell when they can't return opened-games.)

I'm in the UK. Different retailers although GAME and Gamestation are EB and Gamestop equivalents.

What i hated most was when i asked about an instruction booklet looking used(it had messy folds and white bits). The guy there looked like he was about to lose it and start swearing although he didnt but he looked and sounded worked up. I went to that shop after returning a scratched disk to another shop. Same game.

MrCheez

BojTrek said:
No, I was not rude to her or any of the other stores I visited... but if you are giving a gift, who wants a touched up, bent instruction manual...

Shit, I should have just wrapped up my Max Payne 2 package in Seran-Wrap...

It is not a big deal, but for gifts... people like to see new things... not scratched up pakages that 100 of people picked up and down on the shelf...

Plus, remember... I am anal... I need cleaned untouched, new things...

I understand man, and agree with you too. The situation does suck. =/ There are just a lot of misconceptions about it that I try to clear up, in hopes to help some unfortunate game store clerk in the future. ;D

I especially understand when it comes to gifts. But the instruction manual should not have been messed up. In most cases it would be exactly like new. I don't blame ya for not wanting to buy it

MrCheez

IJoel said:
Yes, the same poor innocent clerks that will roll their eyes until they leave the eye sockets when you tell them you don't want the opened product. I prefer unopened games and more than a few times this has happened to me and the fucking clerk puts this face that makes me want to shove his head through magazine racks. Again, I completely understand the issue from a company management perspective, but they should instruct clerks to tell the customers about it and not try and shove the opened copy to them.

Yes because everyone who works at a gamestore is actually the same person.

Never once did I act rude or roll my eyes with anyone who was polite. But hey, I can generalize too: 90% of customers are rude as fuck (stupid and ignorant too) and treat you like a personal slave.

IJoel

MrCheez said:
Yes because everyone who works at a gamestore is actually the same person.

Never once did I act rude or roll my eyes with anyone who was polite. But hey, I can generalize too: 90% of customers are rude as fuck (stupid and ignorant too) and treat you like a personal slave.

Heh... I'm talking about personal experience and how it fits into your 'poor clerk' story.

And yes, I actually agree with 90% of the customers being rude, stupid and ignorant. I'll also go ahead and add 90% of game clerks being clueless about games and being condescending when they are wrong and it's pointed out to them.

Don't take it as a personal insult as it's not meant to be. My point is that management should be sensitive and aware about the opened items issue and should instruct employees to be understanding about it as well.

joshschw

MrCheez said:

Well they don;t re shrinkwrap them near me but the biggest problem is the case has obvioiusly been touched by so many people. And it looks like 3 years old even on newer games. (My Syberia 2 for the Xbox looks like it must have been played catch with). And they dont have, or at least claim to not have, any spare cases. They should, at the very least give you the used price for these games.

I also find Gamestop much worse then EB, although this may just be the fact that the Gamestops near me have the most obnoxious people working there. Gamestop slaps at LEAST 3 stickers on each 'gutted game' on display. and they are near impossible to get off. (My favorite when I asked for a new case was that the guy told be to buy 'goo gone')

MrCheez

IJoel said:
And yes, I actually agree with 90% of the customers being rude, stupid and ignorant. I'll also go ahead and add 90% of game clerks being clueless about games and being condescending when they are wrong and it's pointed out to them.

:lol Okay sounds fair enough to me. I didn't like most of my coworkers anyway.

IJoel said:
Don't take it as a personal insult as it's not meant to be. My point is that management should be sensitive and aware about the opened items issue and should instruct employees to be understanding about it as well.

The thing is though, the managers are doing the very opposite. When it comes to having the customer either end up buying something or passing on it, your manager is going to be on your ass about doing everything you can to get the customer to do the former. If you let them off easily you actually end up having some explaining to do most of the time, unless you don't get caught (or if you're lucky and your manager is human).

This is not to say that I don't agree with you, however.

ferricide

i fucking hate shopping at these stores, for so many reasons. and this is one of them.

i've been on both sides of the desk. in conclusion:

90% of the people who shop at the stores are retards.
90% of the people who work at the stores are retards.

border

Probably because they don't have a stick up their ass, and realize that an unplayed disc is "new" for all intents and purposes.

MrCheez

joshschw said:
Well they don;t re shrinkwrap them near me but the biggest problem is the case has obvioiusly been touched by so many people. And it looks like 3 years old even on newer games. (My Syberia 2 for the Xbox looks like it must have been played catch with). And they dont have, or at least claim to not have, any spare cases. They should, at the very least give you the used price for these games.

I also find Gamestop much worse then EB, although this may just be the fact that the Gamestops near me have the most obnoxious people working there. Gamestop slaps at LEAST 3 stickers on each 'gutted game' on display. and they are near impossible to get off. (My favorite when I asked for a new case was that the guy told be to buy 'goo gone')

Hmmm maybe try around at some other stores? My EB had a gajillion spare cases that we could use whenever we needed to.

I will agree 100% on the sticker thing =/ Always hated that. Though there is a neat trick to use a blowdrier to get them off though, without leaving any sticky residue. (By which I mean the clerk should be doing that in the back room, not that you would have to. This or switching cases entirely, which is what I usually did.)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I generally don't mind this policy as long as the person who extracted the game from its case was careful with it. For example, my "brand new" copy of Donkey Konga had fingerprints all over the read-side of the disc. It worked so I didn't return it or make a scene, but I was still fairly irritated.

joshschw

Hmmm maybe try around at some other stores? My EB had a gajillion spare cases that we could use whenever we needed to.

I will agree 100% on the sticker thing =/ Always hated that. Though there is a neat trick to use a blowdrier to get them off though, without leaving any sticky residue. (By which I mean the clerk should be doing that in the back room, not that you would have to. This or switching cases entirely, which is what I usually did.)

haha, actually believe it or not I managed to convince the guy at EB to take the sticker off of Syberia for me, it took him 10 minutes but now hopefully he relizes not to tell me to buy goo gone. :)

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
joshschw said:
haha, actually believe it or not I managed to convince the guy at EB to take the sticker off of Syberia for me, it took him 10 minutes but now hopefully he relizes not to tell me to buy goo gone. :)
If I worked at EB I would punch you and enjoy getting fired for it.

Chi-Town

BojTrek said:
What sucks is that these two games that he wants are sort of older and Gamestop doesn't have many copies... or any new copies... so I have been to 4 different Gamestops in the last two days...

The guy wants a FPS shooter and loves Star Wars and got hooked on FPS back when Wolfenstein was created, back in the day...

Wolfenstein is a Platinum Hits game. You should easily be able to find a new copy at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ferricide said:
i fucking hate shopping at these stores, for so many reasons. and this is one of them.

Best post in this thread. ;)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
well unfortunately not all game stores are blessed with huge storage spaces to keep "display only" boxes for games. We *have* to gut games because if we dont, they will get stolen. Its either we dont allow customers to look at games, or we allow them too and gut them.

AirBrian

One of my simple pleasures in life is opening a brand-new, factory shrink-wrapped game. Gamestop and EBGames piss all over that. :mad

ohamsie

What I don't like is how they try to sneak it past you. Sometimes you'll get a nice clerk, and they'll explain to you that there are no more new games, and then they'll ask if it is all right to use the display case. In that case, there should be no conflict. They give you a chance to politely decline, or accept the offer.

But then you get those assholes who try to sneak it by you without even asking, not even looking you in the eye the whole time they're fishing the disc out, and they put the burden on the customer to be like "Uh, what the fuck is going on here?" And they get all pissy and exasperated about it. Those fuckers deserve all the contempt they receive.

shoplifter

^^^that too

border said:
Probably because they don't have a stick up their ass, and realize that an unplayed disc is "new" for all intents and purposes.

Yet, like noted before, if I were to buy a game, not play it (just reading the manual), and decide I didn't want it, the game is now 'used'.

CoryCubed

Sometimes thats the only way for them to make a coverbox. Sometimes it is a pain for them to get extra covers or they are just unavailable. I work at a GameRush and I have the luxury of copying our rental covers to avoid this issue because many times we don't get extra art, even on new games.

So its either "we don't have the game" unless someone asks (which people will walk out and assume we don't, I've done it and I'm sure you all have) or we have an opened unused copy.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They sell them as new because they know that someone will be willing to buy it in its condition. It's the sad truth

Link316

Banned
problem with opened games is that they could just be used games that someone traded in, there's also no valid reason for EB and GS to open new games and use them as display cases cause they already get empty display cases for upcoming releases

Link316 said:
problem with opened games is that they could just be used games that someone traded in, there's also no valid reason for EB and GS to open new games and use them as display cases cause they already get empty display cases for upcoming releases

Only for relatively medium to big games. They get no such cases for Shin Megami, Katamari Damacy, or the sort. Basically any game that gets a distribution of less < 20 or so per store.

cvxfreak

FortNinety said:
We really need a stickie for all the EB/GameStop bitching.

IAWTP

I really wouldn't mind if I had to absolutely buy a display copy game, but I wish they didn't have the price tags on it.

ChrisReid

CVXFREAK said:
IAWTP

I really wouldn't mind if I had to absolutely buy a display copy game, but I wish they didn't have the price tags on it.

Just ask them to switch it. Most stores have extra cases and it takes five seconds to switch out your case for a fresh one.

snapty00

Banned
I agree 110%. I went to GameStop to get River City Ransom EX, and the girl pulls out a cartridge from a drawer, so I'm thinking, "Hey, it must be used! Discount!" No dice. She puts it in a scratched box and gives it to me.

It just made me fucking angry. They acted like nothing was unusual or anything. I wasn't even familiar with this stupid-as-shit practice until I went to GameStop. I don't like Wal-Mart, but I can say that I've never bought an already-opened game there.

BuddyC

ferricide said:

We should just sticky this post.

Prospero

ohamsie said:
What I don't like is how they try to sneak it past you. Sometimes you'll get a nice clerk, and they'll explain to you that there are no more new games, and then they'll ask if it is all right to use the display case. In that case, there should be no conflict. They give you a chance to politely decline, or accept the offer.

The last time I went to EB I had a clerk try to sneak an opened copy of DDR Extreme past me as brand new when there were four sealed copies sitting on the shelf immediately behind him.

Me: "Could I get a sealed copy?"
Him: "I don't know if we have any...."
(*I point to the shelf where there are four copies lined up*)
Him: "Oh... well, there it is."

I can understand buying the display copy when there's nothing else in stock, but that was bullshit.

Many of the games are also used to demo in store, altough less now since demo discs are often used nowadays, but we were told to use new games from gutted cases at Media Play and FuncoLand. Those games were then sold as new.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I haven't seen it answered here, and I don't buy opened games anymore for just this worry..

will they allow me to RETURN the opened game (not just any opened game but an opened one with the >>NEW<< sticker on it) for full refund?

If not, it sounds like (another) class action lawsuit to me.

Also, their story about never played is bullshit. I bought exactly ONE opened game from them. Megaman Battle Network. Bought it, took it home, booted it up, and POW! a level 4 saved game right there on the cartridge. Never played my ass. You better believe they gave me a full refund on that fucking game. Much shouting ensued that day. and for the record, they gave me a full refund but only after adding in "Yeah, you were just in here a few minutes ago, we can give you a refund on this. Sorry *other apologies*."

Bristow

Banned
I don't really care about getting a disc that's been sealed away in the drawer, but alot of the time the display case is fucking nasty. Kids pick them up with their peanut butter covered hands and smear shit all over it and who knows what else.

Top Bottom